Way-Too-Early Big East Rankings | The Boneyard

Way-Too-Early Big East Rankings

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

4. Connecticut Huskies
Possible starters: R.J. Cole, James Bouknight, Andre Jackson, Akok Akok, Josh Carlton
Reserves: Isaiah Whaley, Brendan Adams, Jalen Gaffney, Tyler Polley, Javonte Brown-Ferguson, Richard Springs

Welcome back, UConn fans. You’re safe now. You’re home.

After a long, harsh winter in what they clearly came to consider the basketball wilderness — better known as the American Athletic Conference — the Huskies and their fans have, at long last, returned to the familiar environs of the Big East. The post-schism league looks a little different these days, sure, but it will undoubtedly remind Huskies die-hards of the good old days. (Your now-and-forever reminder that UConn won a national title in its first season in the American, which was its second under coach Kevin Ollie, when it was a No. 7 seed … and has made the NCAA Tournament just once since. What a bizarre seven years.)

Would Connecticut fans be happy just to see their program back in the Big East? Probably! Will they have to settle for that? Probably not. There are real reasons to like where this team is headed, regardless of league, in Dan Hurley’s third season, after a second that showcased undeniable progress. James Bouknight has a chance to be the Big East player of the year; he’s that good, and has that much more room to improve (specifically shooting from the perimeter, where he attempted just 72 3s a season ago). Akok Akok’s recovery from injury appears (from afar, on Twitter) to be continuing apace. Jalen Gaffney could be UConn’s breakout player. Together, the three rising sophomores went through the classic step-forward, step-back cycle you often see from young groups thrown into the fire. They improved massively down the stretch. They got tough.

By the end of the season, UConn was one of the American’s toughest outs. Combining that Hurley-influenced grind with technical basketball improvement could presage a Big East return befitting UConn’s tradition. Being back will be nice, but the Huskies are coming to compete.

Reaction Score
James Bouknight’s sophomore season the most hyped since I don’t even know when. Massive build up.
From a source that missed on a few details though. Def hyping up Bouknight. But...
  • Akok starting when he's just barely walking home for the first time after injury
  • 2 national championships under Ollie???
  • No mention of Martin (waiver possibly approved)
  • Hyping Gaffney's breakout over the infusion of RJ Cole into the program
  • And we all agree Whaley's earned a starting role next year, right? Either over Carlton at the 5. Or along side him at the 4?

Reaction Score
"its second under coach Kevin Ollie" ???
From a source that missed on a few details though. Def hyping up Bouknight. But...
  • Akok starting when he's just barely walking home for the first time after injury
  • And we all agree Whaley's earned a starting role next year, right? Either over Carlton at the 5. Or along side him at the 4?
The author is saying the championship season was the second season under Ollie, not that it was the second championship. Take a second to read before reacting people!

Reaction Score
James Bouknight’s sophomore season the most hyped since I don’t even know when. Massive build up.
Definitely the most hyped since who, Jeremy Lambs sophomore year? There was a ton of hype for him and the team going into that season, especially with the late addition of Andre Drummond.

Reaction Score
Quite the uninformed write up. Ollie won 2 NCs, nothing on Cole or Jackson, Whaley not starting. Come on now. We’re finishing no worse than 3rd in the Big East barring any injuries.

Bouknight could easily eclipse 20PPG and be BE POY. He averaged 17 over his last 13 games and that was with often questionable PG. This year he’ll have Cole running the offense with Jackson, Polley, and Martin drawing plenty of attention on the wings. Huge year coming for this guy. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him become an All-American this year.

Reaction Score
I think Carlton starts, I watched the same games you all did last year - he was brutal... BUT... He was solid 2 years ago, I think he realizes this is it, and he returns to form.

I hope.

Reaction Score
Second season under Ollie. Not second championship. Poor writing, but that's what the author was trying to state.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A wilderness that included a national championship. Yes, Ollie's last years dropped the program off the cliff and missing the NCAA was disappointing considering how well they played at the end.

If we are in the wilderness, what does that make 80% of the other programs.

Reaction Score
Quite the uninformed write up. Ollie won 2 NCs, nothing on Cole or Jackson, Whaley not starting. Come on now. We’re finishing no worse than 3rd in the Big East barring any injuries.

Bouknight could easily eclipse 20PPG and be BE POY. He averaged 17 over his last 13 games and that was with often questionable PG. This year he’ll have Cole running the offense with Jackson, Polley, and Martin drawing plenty of attention on the wings. Huge year coming for this guy. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him become an All-American this year.
Book wont need to score 20!

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that last season's starting point guard, who helped guide the team to a five-game winning streak to end the season, is assumed by absolutely no one to be a starter this year? Why so little love for Gaffney?

Reaction Score
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that last season's starting point guard, who helped guide the team to a five-game winning streak to end the season, is assumed by absolutely no one to be a starter this year? Why so little love for Gaffney?

Last seasons starting PG was Al and then Gaffney. The 5 game end of the season actually saw AG come back as the better guard on both ends, he was a huge reason for the 5 game win streak while we saw a rough few games for Gaffney which certainly left the question as to who he will be this coming year. His offensive numbers were dreadful although he looks to have a nice stroke with potential to shoot it much better, but are we sure? He needs to improve his defense, hey he's a nice player just not sure if it's as a starter as of yet.

Reaction Score

Because the other PG on the roster has been described as the best player on the team.

Reaction Score
Because incoming transfers are fun to speculate about. Often times they are the best player in practice.

Reaction Score
"its second under coach Kevin Ollie" ???
I think that it is bad grammar not bad information. The national championship was in his second season as coach, not his second national championship. It was also Uconn's first season in the AAC. We all obviously know this, but I believe it was just bad sentence structure by the writer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One name Rodney Purvis

We once had a “Ferrari” in the garage. That was actually a Honda Accord. serviceable but not as advertised.

Hate to bring it back up, but, one name: Kevin Ollie.

Hurley has a much better eye for talent and is evidently much better at developing talent. I can tell you now everyone comparing Cole to Purvis or Larrier is going to look real silly.

Reaction Score
Because incoming transfers are fun to speculate about. Often times they are the best player in practice.
DH has a good problem.. Two capable PGs for 2020.. RJ and JG.. As a former PG himself.. I trust DH's eye for talent at PG.. The pedigree of RJ's HS career is impressive.. IMO.. I thought JG played hurt for a good part of last year and could not show his true physical talents .. When DH goes small ball.. I could see them both on the floor at the same time depending on opponent and game situation/match ups.. I also believe that AG concluded that he should move on because of how talented these two guys were/are.. And as a result, a lack of PT if he decided to stay for another year despite his improving performances at end of year. A lot of BB coaches would like to have DH's PG "problem"..

Reaction Score
I think that it is bad grammar not bad information. The national championship was in his second season as coach, not his second national championship. It was also Uconn's first season in the AAC. We all obviously know this, but I believe it was just bad sentence structure by the writer.
"... UConn won a national title in its first season in the American, which was its second under coach Kevin Ollie..."

The structure is "UConn won a title in its first conference season, which was its second overall season under Kevin Ollie." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the writing. Not sure if the same can be said for some people's reading comprehension.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom