Way-Too-Early Big East Rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Way-Too-Early Big East Rankings

Reaction Score
Sure, but that same coach will, of course, develop Gaffney.

So it ultimately is about the talking up of guys, at least when you're discussing who will be the starting PG next year.

I don't have a stake or an opinion who will be the starter, but I've learned to be wary of what people see and say about practice, even when they are being 100% sincere.
Of course, not sure what Gaffney has to do with it and I'm certainly not saying Gaffney isn't going to start. I'm the one who's been saying he should be a lock to start alongside Cole all offseason

Reaction Score
2014 is the lowest seeded title team since 85 Nova and definitely among the (if not the) weakest title team since at least the field expanded to 64. Yet this guy wants to pretend the coach had nothing to do with them winning. It's crazy.

We can say that KO was good for a few years and then wasn't without invalidating Hurley or being sincere in being happy Hurley's here rather than Ollie at this stage. But those early KO teams showed that the guy had some coaching chops. There were also some signs of what was the come (particularly in some losses and an uncreative offense), but KO could script OOB plays then, motivate his players, and adjust at halftime. And nobody looked at that bracket and thought UConn could win. That they did means credit should go to the First Team AA (that KO helped mold) the great defense of Boat, the development of Daniels (and coaching gets credit) and the coach that lead this team.

I watched the Florida final four game not that long ago. Ollie had DeAndre Daniels playing center for long stretches and they were eating Florida up. Shabazz was a force of nature, but Ollie had chops.

Reaction Score
Of course, not sure what Gaffney has to do with it and I'm certainly not saying Gaffney isn't going to start. I'm the one who's been saying he should be a lock to start alongside Cole all offseason
Is someone blocked for you? Gaffney has to do with it because the conversation started about a conversation of Cole starting and Gaffney on the bench.

Reaction Score
I watched the Florida final four game not that long ago. Ollie had DeAndre Daniels playing center for long stretches and they were eating Florida up. Shabazz was a force of nature, but Ollie had chops.
KO may still land on his feet elsewhere and prove to be a good coach if he gets his life in order. He showed more ability in the first four years than most flukes people compare him to.

Reaction Score
Is someone blocked for you? Gaffney has to do with it because the conversation started about a conversation of Cole starting and Gaffney on the bench.
I'm assuming it involved Mau then, he blocked me so I can't see any of his posts

Reaction Score
Hate to bring it back up, but, one name: Kevin Ollie.

Hurley has a much better eye for talent and is evidently much better at developing talent. I can tell you now everyone comparing Cole to Purvis or Larrier is going to look real silly.

It’s actually insane how in love with Cole you are. You constantly defend him and pump him up on here. I pray your right Ms. Cole..

Reaction Score
Slight clarification, any of the 350 D1 basketball coaches was what I meant.
You are out of your mind. That 2014 team had literally no clear/ real chance to cut down the nets. They had great coaching/ game planning and a will to win that no other D-1 coach could have done with that group cause it all came down to trust and unity that was built through adversity

Reaction Score
That is what the two guys I talked to in practice and also a few insiders on here have implied, correct. Different players though. Don’t shoot the messenger.
I don’t know people are talking about bouk being big East player of the year.......
Playing scout and having the extra gear in practice when other guys have a game to play I think makes a differences perception of guys in practice.
I think Cole will be a difference maker and a leader but not our best player

Reaction Score
We have to stop comparing the two eras. One coach had no idea how to coach and our current coach has a great eye for finding and developing talent. We seem to be forgetting that. You can’t compare Ollie’s transfers to Hurley’s transfers.

Larrier blew his knee out before we knew how good he was or will be if we want to be fair.

Reaction Score
Barring injuries, on opening day I expect Cole, Gaffney and Bouk to all be on the floor as starters. Cole/Gaffney is not an either/or.
I’d rather start a Martin/Jackson at the 3 than bouk. Defensively your at a disadvantage at the 2 and 3 when u start gaff and Cole together. I think staggering them is the move

Reaction Score
Let Gaffney lead a second unit and make the most of Brendan Adams, Martin/Jackson, Springs/Polley and sprinkle in Carlton as running mates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That would be the worst defensive back court in the Big East. Either Jackson or Martin will start at the 3.
i'm not buying gaff starting for many reasons:
1) in that infamous deleted post hurley said the moment might still be too big for gaffney next year;
2) hurley said AJ is going to have as big an impact as bouk did meaning he's eventually starting at SF;
3) AJ is not a stretch 4- hurley said he'll eventually develop into a PG for the nba;
4) starting cole and gaff risks early PG foul trouble and further complicates the deep wing rotation.

Reaction Score
i'm not buying gaff starting for many reasons:
1) in that infamous deleted post hurley said the moment might still be too big for gaffney next year;
2) hurley said AJ is going to have as big an impact as bouk did meaning he's eventually starting at SF;
3) AJ is not a stretch 4- hurley said he'll eventually develop into a PG for the nba;
4) starting cole and gaff risks early PG foul trouble and further complicates the deep wing rotation.

Correct on all 4. I think my locks to start are Cole, Bouknight, Jackson, and Whaley. That fifth spot is a question mark. Do we play the traditional lineup and go Carlton at C? Stretch the floor and go Polley at the 4? Go with small ball and put Martin at the 4? We’ll see.

Also correct in the fact that we need at least ball handler off the bench. Adams is a SG/SF so that leaves Gaffney as the only option to run the point off the bench, which we need.

Reaction Score
That fifth spot is a question mark.
this is the 10 man rotation i'd like to see in BE conference play, dependent on who fills the last scholly of course. i'm not divvying up the minutes but lots of interchangeability

Cole—-Gaffney
Bouk—-Adams
Jackson-Polley
Martin---Akok
Whaley-Carlton

Reaction Score
this is the 10 man rotation i'd like to see in BE conference play, dependent on who fills the last scholly of course. i'm not divvying up the minutes but lots of interchangeability

Cole—-Gaffney
Bouk—-Adams
Jackson-Polley
Martin---Akok
Whaley-Carlton
I think you're going to really like Richie S..Don't sleep on him..DH loves his upside and Bouk obviously does.. He was instrumental in recruiting him to UConn (as a former teammate of his)

Reaction Score
I think you're going to really like Richie S..Don't sleep on him..DH loves his upside and Bouk obviously does.. He was instrumental in recruiting him to UConn (as a former teammate of his)
i got high hopes for springs but he's still just a redshirt freshmen and i dont see the point of giving your eleventh man ~8 mpg.
i'd rather give whaley, carlton, akok, martin, and polley another 1 or 2 mins each.
going ten deep is plenty imo

Reaction Score
i got high hopes for springs but he's still just a redshirt freshmen and i dont see the point of giving your eleventh man ~8 mpg.
i'd rather give whaley, carlton, akok, martin, and polley another 1 or 2 mins each.
Wow..Let's talk mid-season and see if you have a different opinion.. DH might override your projections..

Reaction Score
Wow..Let's talk mid-season and see if you have a different opinion.. DH might override your projections..
my projections will change well before that once the last scholly is filled. those are my pointless projections for today

edit-for instance, if we get sanogo springs is even less likely to get meaningful PT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
my projections will change well before that once the last scholly is filled. those are my pointless projections for today
Agreed..Depends on whether last scholly is a game changer or long range guy

Reaction Score
The only reason I'd disagree on Springs is by the time Akok is back he's going to have a 10+ games playing and he seems like the type of glue guy who will always get minutes

Reaction Score
The only reason I'd disagree on Springs is by the time Akok is back he's going to have a 10+ games playing and he seems like the type of glue guy who will always get minutes
Hope you're right on Akok.. Seems to have a sense of urgency to move on to the next Level.. Springs isn't a bad guy to have on the bench or in practice.. DH calls him a Hoover on Rebounding..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom