Way-Too-Early Big East Rankings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Way-Too-Early Big East Rankings

Reaction Score
my projections will change well before that once the last scholly is filled. those are my pointless projections for today

edit-for instance, if we get sanogo springs is even less likely to get meaningful PT.
Predict Springs will be a valuable player in 2021.. 2020 value will be dictated by last roster spot palyer..

Reaction Score
Other than Bouk getting 34 minutes a game, this team will not be about who the 5 starters are.

This team will be 10-12 deep and come at their opponents in waves. It will not be about 5 starters getting 30 plus minutes each.

This I know,,,Cole may start some games, all games, or no games. Doesn’t matter. What he will do is play 15-25 minutes a game depending on the opponent and his own performance. Ditto for all players other than Bouknight.

If another player transcends to Bouks level, that player will become the second “starter”. Until then, Bouk is the only starter.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that last season's starting point guard, who helped guide the team to a five-game winning streak to end the season, is assumed by absolutely no one to be a starter this year? Why so little love for Gaffney?
I've been screaming this. People talking like it's Cole's job to lose. No way IMO.

Reaction Score
I've been screaming this. People talking like it's Cole's job to lose. No way IMO.

We ignoring the fact that Hurley allegedly said Cole will run the point and that the moment might be too big for Gaffney? Bright future for Gaffney but Cole is the main PG this year.

Reaction Score
We ignoring the fact that Hurley allegedly said Cole will run the point and that the moment might be too big for Gaffney? Bright future for Gaffney but Cole is the main PG this year.
There’s no way Hurley actually said that “the moment might be too big” about the true freshman that took over as our starting PG down the stretch when we turned it around. Hurley loves Gaffney. That’s partially why I was very skeptical of that thread. How could any player have confidence in themselves if their coach was saying such things? I call BS.

Reaction Score
There’s no way Hurley actually said that “the moment might be too big” about the true freshman that took over as our starting PG down the stretch when we turned it around. Hurley loves Gaffney. That’s partially why I was very skeptical of that thread. How could any player have confidence in themselves if their coach was saying such things? I call BS.
Missed that in a thread, but I don’t think any head coach says that candidly to a group of people sitting in on a Zoom session. Also, that statement contradicts everything we’ve heard from Hurley about Gaffney sine the season ended.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
IMO it's Gaffney's job to lose and Cole's going to have to earn his minutes. I don't care what Hurley may have said - we all know what we saw from Gaffney down the stretch. Kid can play and run point. What a practice battle that will be - they will be tested before the season starts. I attended the open practice last season and was not impressed with Cole. I've watched some film, and that looks a little better (albeit with much lower competition). He could have been just deferring to guys who were going to play, and may have been less interested overall. It will be and should be a battle for PG.

Reaction Score

4. Connecticut Huskies
Possible starters: R.J. Cole, James Bouknight, Andre Jackson, Akok Akok, Josh Carlton
Reserves: Isaiah Whaley, Brendan Adams, Jalen Gaffney, Tyler Polley, Javonte Brown-Ferguson, Richard Springs

Welcome back, UConn fans. You’re safe now. You’re home.

After a long, harsh winter in what they clearly came to consider the basketball wilderness — better known as the American Athletic Conference — the Huskies and their fans have, at long last, returned to the familiar environs of the Big East. The post-schism league looks a little different these days, sure, but it will undoubtedly remind Huskies die-hards of the good old days. (Your now-and-forever reminder that UConn won a national title in its first season in the American, which was its second under coach Kevin Ollie, when it was a No. 7 seed … and has made the NCAA Tournament just once since. What a bizarre seven years.)

Would Connecticut fans be happy just to see their program back in the Big East? Probably! Will they have to settle for that? Probably not. There are real reasons to like where this team is headed, regardless of league, in Dan Hurley’s third season, after a second that showcased undeniable progress. James Bouknight has a chance to be the Big East player of the year; he’s that good, and has that much more room to improve (specifically shooting from the perimeter, where he attempted just 72 3s a season ago). Akok Akok’s recovery from injury appears (from afar, on Twitter) to be continuing apace. Jalen Gaffney could be UConn’s breakout player. Together, the three rising sophomores went through the classic step-forward, step-back cycle you often see from young groups thrown into the fire. They improved massively down the stretch. They got tough.

By the end of the season, UConn was one of the American’s toughest outs. Combining that Hurley-influenced grind with technical basketball improvement could presage a Big East return befitting UConn’s tradition. Being back will be nice, but the Huskies are coming to compete.
In some ways I think Isiah Whaley is our most important player who— without doubt has earned 27-30 min as a starter.
No way Akok is ready for season abd it’s possible both he and Polley might end up as role players

Reaction Score
In some ways I think Isiah Whaley is our most important player who— without doubt has earned 27-30 min as a starter.
No way Akok is ready for season abd it’s possible both he and Polley might end up as role players
I think people are really underselling what Polley can bring to the table. ACL is much easier to come back from than an Achilles tear. He’ll be much of the same player that has started every game in the last two seasons (sans ‘18 senior night) at the 4 for us.

Reaction Score
DH is in a good spot.. As we all know.. RJ has performed well already against BE and Big 12 schools while at Howard.. JG has performed well vs AAC schools.. Either way.. We're in good shape.. Probably why DH is not encouraging Fatts R to take a closer look at us..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just asking, am I the only one that thought that thread was a troll/lie?

Why whatever do you mean? Don’t coaches regularly- to a random group of strangers- say a sophomore isn’t ready to contribute (he has used that phrase about the moment being too big for Gaffney to describe his early freshman year), state which of his assistants is the best recruiter (fight, fight! he has said that they all are good enough to be head coaches, again or for the first time), and comment on an eligibility that has neither been submitted or confirmed?

Reaction Score

Fair. I hope that thread wasn’t fake that’s for sure.

IMO it's Gaffney's job to lose and Cole's going to have to earn his minutes. I don't care what Hurley may have said - we all know what we saw from Gaffney down the stretch. Kid can play and run point. What a practice battle that will be - they will be tested before the season starts. I attended the open practice last season and was not impressed with Cole. I've watched some film, and that looks a little better (albeit with much lower competition). He could have been just deferring to guys who were going to play, and may have been less interested overall. It will be and should be a battle for PG.

No way. I love Gaffney and think he’ll be great but Cole is the starting PG. Why would he refuse to apply for a waiver and sit out a year to come off the bench? He’s the guy that’s going to run the offense. Him and Bouk will be the highest scoring duo in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Fair. I hope that thread wasn’t fake that’s for sure.

No way. I love Gaffney and think he’ll be great but Cole is the starting PG. Why would he refuse to apply for a waiver and sit out a year to come off the bench? He’s the guy that’s going to run the offense. Him and Bouk will be the highest scoring duo in the Big East.
Why do u hope the thread wasn’t fake?

Reaction Score
Missed that in a thread, but I don’t think any head coach says that candidly to a group of people sitting in on a Zoom session. Also, that statement contradicts everything we’ve heard from Hurley about Gaffney sine the season ended.
Yup. In one of Hurley’s recent game reviews he’s doing on Instagram he literally raves about gaffney and how we’ve only seen flashes of how good he really is and how he’s going to make a huge leap this year.

Reaction Score
Yup. In one of Hurley’s recent game reviews he’s doing on Instagram he literally raves about gaffney and how we’ve only seen flashes of how good he really is and how he’s going to make a huge leap this year.
Ball movement when JG was running the point(vs AG) was definitely better/crisper/more fluid.. CV and AG tended to be ball dominant guards.. JH was just trying to fit in..be a good teammate..and avoid TOs.. Which he did do.. Coming back 100% healthy in 2020 will be huge for him..

Reaction Score
I think people are really underselling what Polley can bring to the table. ACL is much easier to come back from than an Achilles tear. He’ll be much of the same player that has started every game in the last two seasons (sans ‘18 senior night) at the 4 for us.
I like polley to. I don’t think he ever proved he was a winning player in his time. This team was GOOD end of season— best basketball in 5 years. Whaley was a certain piece of that not Polley. But optimistically I do believe he can be a new part of it again— just not sure it’s 30 min starter? Maybe

Reaction Score
I like polley to. I don’t think he ever proved he was a winning player in his time. This team was GOOD end of season— best basketball in 5 years. Whaley was a certain piece of that not Polley. But optimistically I do believe he can be a new part of it again— just not sure it’s 30 min starter? Maybe
Last game or two for Tyler Phommachanh..He was "acting" as if he was hungrier on D/loose balls,etc. Would be nice to see again once he's able to be back on the court

Reaction Score

Before Polley was injured he was one of the only guys that showed he could hit big shots in critical situations late in games and he was doing it pretty consistently. If he’s healthy he’s going to start. Just imagine some of these guys like Andre Jackson and Martin coming off the bench. We may not have the talent that some of the top 10 teams have, but if Hurley plays his style of relentless pressure D and runs 10-12 deep this team will be hard to beat.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gaffney has much more to prove as a PG, especially the tendency to under perform on the road, to be viewed as the sure fire front runner. Can he be a good starting PG? Yes. Is he better than Cole at this point? I say no way. Cole has more experience and has proven to put up great numbers against some very good out of conference big boys in the past. It should be interesting but in JMHO, DH has Cole penciled in that starting PG position. Things could change but it is a nice issue to have to decide upon.
As far as PF/SF positioning, if Jackson and Martin can go consistently to the defensive boards and grab rebounds they are going to play over Polley who showed the toughness to hit the boards during one game and he got injured. There will be other outside threats on the new team and my gut tells me that BA will come back a much better long range shooter knowing his minutes have now shrunk. IF Pork Chop develops a real consistent outside jumper, with his great on ball defense, may be finding time in that position also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last game or two for Tyler Phommachanh..He was "acting" as if he was hungrier on D/loose balls,etc. Would be nice to see again once he's able to be back on the court
I wonder if the injury will cause him to revert to his more passive self? The physical healing is only one part of the injury recovery. The mental piece can often be a bigger issue. Different people take differing amounts of time to "trust" the repaired injury. Some never trust it 100% and it can change how they play. If he injured it making an "aggressive" play, will that impact his willingness to play aggressively? Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Gaffney has much more to prove as a PG, especially the tendency to under perform on the road, to be viewed as the sure fire front runner. Can he be a good starting PG? Yes. Is he better than Cole at this point? I say no way. Cole has more experience and has proven to put up great numbers against some very good out of conference big boys in the past. It should be interesting but in JMHO, DH has Cole penciled in that starting PG position. Things could change but it is a nice issue to have to decide upon.
As far as PF/SF positioning, if Jackson and Martin can go consistently to the defensive boards and grab rebounds they are going to play over Polley who showed the toughness to hit the boards during one game and he got injured. There will be other outside threats on the new team and my gut tells me that BA will come back a much better long range shooter knowing his minutes have now shrunk. IF Pork Chop develops a real consistent outside jumper, with his great on ball defense, may be finding time in that position also.
Gaffney was a true freshman behind senior guards and by the end of the year he was effectively second on the depth chart behind Vitale. I think DH is looking to light a fire under Gaffney to get the best out of him very quickly by saying such great things about Cole. In my mind, I think Gaffney has much more upside and has chemistry with Bouk which is most important obviously.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom