Way Too Early 2017-18 rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Way Too Early 2017-18 rankings

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This whole "they are #1 till they lose" is silly. UCONN lost Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah, and they were ranked #3 to start the following season. I say that because basing rankings for NEXT year given graduating seniors and incoming freshman based on LAST season's performance is silly. By that logic, Missisippi State should be #2 because they made the NC game.
Agreed. Didn't we just have a knock-down, drag-out thread about this topic a few weeks ago? The memory makes me cringe.

Preseason rankings are by convention predictive, not retrodictive, reflecting personnel losses and gains.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'm missing key players, which I know the knowledge BY crew will correct. And I'm probably forgetting some important team.

But here goes ...

(1) UConn - lose Chong; add transfers Azura & Camara + #3 HS class including HS POY Walker
(2) So Car - lose no key players (other than Coates); add #7 HS class
(3) N Dame - lose PG Allen, but lotsa talent returns; add Lili Thompson
(4) Texas - lose Lang & Taylor but McCarty/Atkins/Holmes back + 2 top 10 HS recruits
(5) Baylor - lose Jones/Prince/Davis/Cave but return a lot; add #2 HS class incl two top 10 players
(6) UCLA - return 4 of top 6 plus 3 players that were injured; add #4 HS class
(7) Duke - return 4 of top 6, add top HS recruits
(8) Oh St - lose 1 starter, return 8 players with 15+ mins
(9) Lou - return most key players; add Dana Evans (#3 PN)
(10) W Va - lose 1 starter but Tynice Martin back + add mid-season transfer Ekhelar (Oh St)

Also:
Maryland - lose top 2 (Jones, SWK) but return a lot

What about Oregon? I think they deserve to be in the Top 10- without doubt. Everyone comes back- and they're no longer freshmen!

South Carolina deserves to begin the season #1.

Reaction Score
This whole "they are #1 till they lose" is silly. UCONN lost Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah, and they were ranked #3 to start the following season. I say that because basing rankings for NEXT year given graduating seniors and incoming freshman based on LAST season's performance is silly. By that logic, Missisippi State should be #2 because they made the NC game.

In this case South Carolina doesn't loose any of the players who played in the NCAA Tournament and they are bringing in some good recruits/transfer so it's not like there should be a drop off..........frankly as some here predicted, they played better offensively without Coates clogging the lane and she's the senior leaving..........

Reaction Score
Yeah, I also don't buy the whole "defending champ automatic #1" thing.

We should and will be ranked #1. If SC wants to use that as motivation, good for them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Duke aint losing to no Big 10 team in the tournament :cool:

Hopefully this thread will be locked just in case. :oops:
I can see Duke vs. Rutgers in a first- or second-round matchup :D

Reaction Score
What about Oregon? I think they deserve to be in the Top 10- without doubt. Everyone comes back- and they're no longer freshmen!

Oregon was 8-10 in the PAC and very nearly lost to Temple in the 1st round. Instead they got a lucky draw (Duke injury, overrated/overconfident MD), and suddenly everyone has them as world beaters next year.

They have a lot of young talent, but top 10 seems like an extreme leap for a team that barely made the tourney this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oregon was 8-10 in the PAC and very nearly lost to Temple in the 1st round. Instead they got a lucky draw (Duke injury, overrated/overconfident MD), and suddenly everyone has them as world beaters next year.

They have a lot of young talent, but top 10 seems like an extreme leap for a team that barely made the tourney this year.

A Temple team without a key starter as well........ if only they hadnt blown that lay-up at the buzzer Head bang

Plebe

Reaction Score

Could one not say the same for West Virginia, save for its hot run in the Big 12 tourney?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
  1. UConn
  2. South Carolina
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Baylor
  5. Texas
  6. UCLA
  7. Stanford
  8. Louisville
  9. Mississippi State
  10. Maryland
  11. Tennessee
  12. Oregon ?

No Duke ? :mad:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Even if it's locked, somebody can start a new thread and link to it :cool:
It's an automatic feature that locks old threads to prevent them from coming back, like zombies.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State will be in the top 10 for sure. They only lose Dillingham, Richardson and I a couple of other role players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sorry, mis-edit. The list is still in progress.

But even you said they're not top 10.

Id say #15-18 .... but I wont really have a good idea until I see them scrimmage and after the exhibition game. Pre-Lambert injury I would have had them hovering in the 10 range.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Id say #15-18 .... but I wont really have a good idea until I see them scrimmage and after the exhibition game. Pre-Lambert injury I would have had them hovering in the 10 range.

There are some teams that should be top 10 based on talent but now have a track record of underachieving: Ohio State, Tennessee, Louisville.

Louisville was a #2 seed last year, lost no one important to graduation, got Asia Durr healthy, but somehow became a worse team.
Ohio State brought in enough new talent to field two competitive teams, but did nothing memorable this season except beat Maryland and Kentucky.
Tennessee, well, we all know about that.

So when we go to preseason-rank these teams, do we take into account their recent history of squandering talent?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are some teams that should be top 10 based on talent but now have a track record of underachieving: Ohio State, Tennessee, Louisville.

Louisville was a #2 seed last year, lost no one important to graduation, got Asia Durr healthy, but somehow became a worse team.
Ohio State brought in enough new talent to field two competitive teams, but did nothing memorable this season except beat Maryland and Kentucky.
Tennessee, well, we all know about that.

So when we go to preseason-rank these teams, do we take into account their recent history of squandering talent?
You should add Kentucky to your list of underachievers, IMO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You think Kentucky underachieved this year? I thought they overachieved, given their losses and lack of depth.

Perhaps they underachieved last year.
Well, you did mention a "record of underachieving", hence my comment.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's an automatic feature that locks old threads to prevent them from coming back, like zombies.

some threads... mostly OT ones are good to be bumped in the off season.... you know.. those related to food..... travel.... music..... food....

Reaction Score
Stanford loses 3 starters but might not fall all that far. Oregon should make a big jump next year and Oregon St. might not fall as much as many will assume (just like last year).

Stamford only schedules UCONN when they think they are loaded. I don't think they have us back on their schedule for next year so I suspect that means they are not too confident.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Sniezak has started off and on throughout her career and played enough minutes this year to basically be a 6th starter. I think Sniezak is a decent upgrade over Roberson actually. Smith was great down the stretch and was their most gifted scorer in the post. Johnson was a rebounding machine as a freshman. She hasn't developed much as her career has continued but she can definitely replace much of McCall's rebounding. Karlie was their leading 3 point shooter and a heady veteran leader, but I don't she's totally irreplaceable either. They had 3 McDonald's All American freshmen this year that didn't play much, I would assume all 3 will have much expanded roles next season.

Sniezak would become light years more valuable if she had a decent outside shot.
I think the three seniors, Karlie, Bird and Bri amazingly changed Tara as a person. I still cant believe Tara was dancing after the win over N. Dame.
Who replaces Karlie's leadership and reliability. Someone will lead, but who and how well.
Unless Karlie decides to go into medicine, like Bonnie, she will be a coach. Incredible BB IQ and she deals well with all people.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State will be in the top 10 for sure. They only lose Dillingham, Richardson and I a couple of other role players.
Mississippi State gets a very nice PF from Australia. Her name is Chloe Bibby. She was on a WNBL team this past season, very little play time, but tons of experience. She can go to college as she wasnt compensated by her team. She is also on or will play for a SEABL team, also a pro league but a step down from the WNBL.

Here is a you tube video of her, she has some bulldog in her, no pun intended. Also a write up by an Aussie on line site that covers both WBB and MBB.

Chloe Bibby: Mississippi State’s missing piece?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom