Way Too Early 2017-18 rankings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Way Too Early 2017-18 rankings

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
SC peaked at the right time. Losing Coates opened things up, the guards got better. Cuevas-Moore was able to wheel and deal. They were better than MSU, and deserve to be number one. Dawn will have her hands full, but she'll have a season to find her way back to the final four. Geno will be waiting.

Anyone have any scuddlebutt on why Coates failed to accompany her team to Dallas? It's very unusual for a player not to travel with her team to an event of that magnitude, given the nature of her injury.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would love for SC to play Baylor, ND, and Maryland next year. It would be some very interesting matchups and someone other then UCONN would headline it.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that? Seattle area produces talent regularly, Spokane and Yakima are surprisingly talent rich, and everyone in the Pac 12 recruits in California which is overflowing w/ talent on a yearly basis.

Texas, Texas, Texas........no state has anywhere near the number of top WBB prospects including California..........Texas is drowning in high end recruits and if my geography is correct Arkansas is Texas's next door "Neighbor".............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone have any scuddlebutt on why Coates failed to accompany her team to Dallas? It's very unusual for a player not to travel with her team to an event of that magnitude, given the nature of her injury.
According to Coates, who replied angrily via tweet during the game when ESPN reporters questioned her not being there, she did not travel on the recommendation of her doctor.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Texas, Texas, Texas...no state has anywhere near the number of top WBB prospects including California.....Texas is drowning in high end recruits and if my geography is correct Arkansas is Texas's next door "Neighbor"...

Okay. But there are also a whole bunch of schools in and near Texas, so there is a lot of competition for that talent. I don't think Arkansas is very high on the pecking order currently. Out west it's mostly competing against other Pac 12 schools. Texas is in both the Big 12 and SEC's footprint, and I'm sure the ACC and Big 10 teams do plenty of recruiting there as well. Seems like UConn has plucked a player or two out Texas.

Reaction Score
Okay. But there are also a whole bunch of schools in and near Texas, so there is a lot of competition for that talent. I don't think Arkansas is very high on the pecking order currently. Out west it's mostly competing against other Pac 12 schools. Texas is in both the Big 12 and SEC's footprint, and I'm sure the ACC and Big 10 teams do plenty of recruiting there as well. Seems like UConn has plucked a player or two out Texas.

No question about the number of schools fishing in Texas recruiting waters but there are so many big and medium sized fish that the better recruiters will all be able to snag something good..........also as someone else mentioned, Tennessee is also close by and that state is probably number two or three in the number of great recruits right now............if this guy is any sort of a recruiter he should be able to land a very good class sooner then later................................

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@vowelguy, glad you started the thread!

A few thoughts...

- Duke will be interesting. If Jade Williams and Mikayla Boykin come in and live up, the team will be very good. But losing Lambert hurts (she might be able to go later in the year, but I doubt it). Cooper and Chidom were not consistent, but provided some post depth. That will be missing next year, as Duke's is thin in the post, in terms of bodies and talent.

While the twin towers (as i call them) werent consistent on the offensive end.... thats 120 blocks combined lost to graduation. Its been a long long long long time since Duke has been without a proven shot blocker (usually multiple) to protect the paint.... I would guess pre 1998 ????? Hopefully Williams can be like another Williams (E) and provide some protection. I know Roma averaged 2.0 blocks a game at Wagner.... but she's just 6'2.... and Wagner is a long way from the ACC....

Im not sure if you saw any of the HS 3pt contest on CBS Sunday afternoon..... but Boykin had a good showing.... made the finals before tiring out and losing to the PG headed to Texas. I like her shot.... and I think she can help on offense.... not sure about on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
While the twin towers (as i call them) werent consistent on the offensive end.... thats 120 blocks combined lost to graduation. Its been a long long long long time since Duke has been without a proven shot blocker (usually multiple) to protect the paint.... I would guess pre 1998 ????? Hopefully Williams can be like another Williams (E) and provide some protection. I know Roma averaged 2.0 blocks a game at Wagner.... but she's just 6'2.... and Wagner is a long way from the ACC....

Im not sure if you saw any of the HS 3pt contest on CBS Sunday afternoon..... but Boykin had a good showing.... made the finals before tiring out and losing to the PG headed to Texas. I like her shot.... and I think she can help on offense.... not sure about on the defensive end.

I've heard barely a peep on this board about the turnaround by McCallie this year..............is she fully rehabilitated down Durham way?

Reaction Score
Personally I think Stanford and UCLA will fight it out for #1 in the Pac 12... with Oregon #3. ND and Louisville in the ACC... with Duke #3. South Carolina and TN in the SEC with MSU #3.. Baylor and Texas in the Big 12 fighting for the top spot. I dont care about the garbage Big 10.

I think the Pac 12 will be a dogfight again with Stanford, UCLA and Oregon in the mix (I also expect one of either Arizona State or OR State to be in the top 4). I think you're spot on with the ACC and Big 12, with OK and W. VA fighting it out for third place. I think even with l the new talent TN will find a way to finish 4 or lower. I agree that the Big 10 will again be irrelevant nationally, with probably MD and OH fighting it out (Maybe MI St can sneak in there).

Reaction Score
I've got no problem with SC being number one, or MSU moving up with their Aussie addition and their emotional win. Heck, give Tennessee credit on their incoming class and returning starters. UCONN has plenty of incentives, film, tradition, revenge, without worrying about pre-pre-season polls. Muffet needs to worry about some other teams.

Reaction Score
I REALLY like the Huskies' chances for winning #12 next year. I also REALLY like their chances for going from a one-loss season to a fully undefeated season next year. But, while I know it's unrealistic, I would love to see them ranked in the preseason at about #4 or #5. What I don't get, and what I have never gotten, is why any of us who are fans of this (especially) or any other team care so much as a whit about preseason rankings. I understand that we now are faced, alas, with about a six-month period of musings and speculations over this and that, but can anyone explain to me why this ranking thing matters in a way that is remotely convincing? Is this all just about pride? Our feelings??? After eleven national championships since 1995 (!) are we so easily wounded that this stuff really concerns us? Most fans, and particularly casual fans of WCBB around the country, inevitably pull for the underdog. They are thrilled that UConn went down this year, if you can characterize getting to the Final Four after the huge graduation losses it endured, and losing only in overtime on a buzzer-beater as "going down." Those folks will, quite understandably, gleefully wish to lowball UConn in any potential preseason rankings. Guess what? I hope that both they and the so-called experts do exactly that. My feelings will categorically not be hurt. I look forward with confidence to the only rankings that matter, the ones that come out next April at the tourney's conclusion! The rest is just the usual bloviation.
You got that all right!!! These rankings or projections or wild guesses mean VERY little in the big scheme of things. Go ahead and rank UCONN low, no big deal, it will simply serve as an additional motivator for our Huskies. As some famous football coach said before the day of college football playoffs... the only poll that matters is the last one... in our Huskies case. That means the only thing that matters is who cuts down the nets in Columbus in Apr 2018... I like our chances!!#

Reaction Score
You got that all right!!! These rankings or projections or wild guesses mean VERY little in the big scheme of things. Go ahead and rank UCONN low, no big deal, it will simply serve as an additional motivator for our Huskies. As some famous football coach said before the day of college football playoffs... the only poll that matters is the last one... in our Huskies case. That means the only thing that matters is who cuts down the nets in Columbus in Apr 2018... I like our chances!!#

I doubt that UConn will be ranked any lower then second or third............everybody knows the team has reinforcements coming and that Geno will not accept anything less then recapturing the national championship next year........

Reaction Score
As we all know, preseason rankings do not mean a thing but I think South Carolina is deserving to be the #1 team preseason. Davis and Gray are returning next year which means all their key players from their title run will be there. Both guards thrive in an offense with a more opened up paint. And A'ja will be A'ja. Barring injury/transfers, they will give UConn a run for their money. We will be way better equipped next year with greater depth and actually a legit post presence, but our games with SC will be competitive for sure.

Speaking of post presence, I am actually the most excited for Camara to get some meaningful minutes. She may not provide us much offense but it looks like she is more than willing to bang down low with the more physical posts which will take the heat off Gabby and Collier who have a more finesse style to their games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As we all know, preseason rankings do not mean a thing but I think South Carolina is deserving to be the #1 team preseason. Davis and Gray are returning next year which means all their key players from their title run will be there. Both guards thrive in an offense with a more opened up paint. And A'ja will be A'ja. Barring injury/transfers, they will give UConn a run for their money. We will be way better equipped next year with greater depth and actually a legit post presence, but our games with SC will be competitive for sure.

Speaking of post presence, I am actually the most excited for Camara to get some meaningful minutes. She may not provide us much offense but it looks like she is more than willing to bang down low with the more physical posts which will take the heat off Gabby and Collier who have a more finesse style to their games.
Everything that I've seen and heard about Batouly leads me to believe that she is a "blue collar" player like Tuck, maybe not quite as talented, but with a very similar skill set.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Everything that I've seen and heard about Batouly leads me to believe that she is a "blue collar" player like Tuck, maybe not quite as talented, but with a very similar skill set.
"Rugged" is the word I hear often.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Earlier in this thread I stated that SC should probably start next season at #1 in the polls. Now that both Gray & Davis have declared for the pro draft, I have to put the Huskies back at #1.

Carnac

Reaction Score
According to Coates, who replied angrily via tweet during the game when ESPN reporters questioned her not being there, she did not travel on the recommendation of her doctor.

Thanks. It sounds to me (and Doris Burke hinted at the same thing) that there are some underlying issues here, especially given the manner in which she responded. She suffered an injury that normally does not keep a player (person) from getting on an airplane, especially to the final four. I can only think of a couple of reason a player would not travel with their team to a FF. Since she'll be leaving for the W next month, once she's physically away from the USC campus, she may reveal at that time the real reason why she did not accompany her team to Dallas. You know she's going to be asked that question again once she reports to the team that drafts her.

Carnac

Reaction Score

No doubt she'll be compared to Tuck on more than one occasion this upcoming season, and that's a good thing. :cool:

Reaction Score
@vowelguy, glad you started the thread!

A few thoughts...

- Notre Dame lost Turner to an ACL injury. Doubt she will be ready to go next year based on the severity of the injury. That means there will be a lot of Westbeld/Nelson lineups and Patterson may play a lot as a freshman. It hurts having that consistent presence inside. Also, losing a four-year starter at the point in Allen is going to be difficult to replace. Thompson is not the playmaker that Allen was.

- Baylor losing Jones and Prince will hurt quite a bit. You are taking the two best outside shooters plus the two secondary playmakers behind Wallace. Plus Jones had the ability to create her shot off the dribble any time she wanted. There is plenty of young talent, but there will need to be players who step up as shooters, but most importantly playmakers. The team could be inconsistent to start.

Also, the loss of Nina Davis means Baylor is losing close to 40 ppg with Davis, Prince, and Jones. There will need to be players who take significant steps forward and show the ability to score; otherwise, teams can just double team Brown and shut Baylor down.

- Duke will be interesting. If Jade Williams and Mikayla Boykin come in and live up, the team will be very good. But losing Lambert hurts (she might be able to go later in the year, but I doubt it). Cooper and Chidom were not consistent, but provided some post depth. That will be missing next year, as Duke's is thin in the post, in terms of bodies and talent.

- A healthy Ohio State could easily be ranked in the top four.

Thanks cam. So who are you thinking for #3?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom