Waters Signed With LSU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Waters Signed With LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
really? Position of need? He was almost definitely scared off by our backcourt. We've got an undersized PG sitting here who barely played a game for us, so he'd be at least battling for playing time with him for 3 years...

To me, if we needed point guards and also didn't already have one under 6' he would have been far more likely to come here

This... He'd be our third point guard. Why would he want to come here to do that?

Reaction Score
It's a problem that local kids aren't picking UConn. New England is flush with talent and instead of having a pipeline we are missing like crazy on local kids. I see it as a major problem that needs to be fixed.

No, it's a problem if the locals are not considering us. The idea that players want to stay at home to play college ball is so 1999. These kids want to find the quickest path to the league; where they can get exposure and get paid. Waters coming here to be the backup to Jalen and Alterique was not exactly in his best interest. Furthermore, as badly as I wanted Waters, he's not as good as Jalen or Alterique. Nab a nice guard in 2018 (Carey? Dort?) and you have that stud guard pipeline built.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
really? Position of need? He was almost definitely scared off by our backcourt. We've got an undersized PG sitting here who barely played a game for us, so he'd be at least battling for playing time with him for 3 years...

To me, if we needed point guards and also didn't already have one under 6' he would have been far more likely to come here

Adams is gone next year and there's no guarantee AG will be a long-term solution unfortunately because of his shoulder (even though I love his game and think he's a stud).

Considering the above, plus MALs de-commit, yes, PG is a BIG position of need. For 2017... not as much. But Waters would have put himself in position to be lead PG by 2018.

He's not in any better shape in LSU's backcourt.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The kid is a highly ranked guard in class of 2017.
Being so, he will want to go where he can have the keys and drive.
Guess what? He ain't doing that here in 2017 and maybe not 2018
Why the hell would he want to come here
The thinking that all instate prospects should be looking at the state school is complete hogwash - if sports aren't involved, yeah I see it for cost purposes but when scholarships are included - it not just a cost option
If JA, AG and CV weren't here - yeah he comes here under these circumstances
It's his issue in deciding late - whatever the reason
He received all the goodies from a real desperate program - a car for his Daddy to drive and a Studebaker of a team for him to drive.
I never cared if he came here - he's not a 6'5" penetrating, passing and shooting wizard
There aren't many ITs out there and the Celts have the real small wonder and hopefully UConn has the second in AG
Anyone who says that this is a crushing blow doesn't understand recruitment and/or it's makeup - IMHO

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This... He'd be our third point guard. Why would he want to come here to do that?

3rd PG in an offense that thrives on playing 2 at once.

Plus, Adams is gone next year and there's no guarantee with AGs shoulder issues. Like I said in a previous post, Waters is in no better shape to be lead PG than he would be at UConn in 2018.

pj

Reaction Score
The kid is a highly ranked guard in class of 2017.
Being so, he will want to go where he can have the keys and drive.
Guess what? He ain't doing that here in 2017 and maybe not 2018
Why the hell would he want to come here
The thinking that all instate prospects should be looking at the state school is complete hogwash - if sports aren't involved, yeah I see it for cost purposes but when scholarships are included - it not just a cost option
If JA, AG and CV weren't here - yeah he comes here under these circumstances
It's his issue in deciding late - whatever the reason
He received all the goodies from a real desperate program - a car for his Daddy to drive and a Studebaker of a team for him to drive.
I never cared if he came here - he's not a 6'5" penetrating, passing and shooting wizard
There aren't many ITs out there and the Celts have the real small wonder and hopefully UConn has the second in AG
Anyone who says that this is a crushing blow doesn't understand recruitment and/or it's makeup - IMHO

Is the car CONFIRMED?

Reaction Score
No loss. Onward to better recruits.
I think it'a big loss.....guessing he gets the keys to the car right away and if he can take the pounding he should be quite a success......really wanted him......now deeply worried about recruiting ....it's our lifeblood and we're dying......near time to clean house.....pretty sure chillious tactics won't work in this situation.....hope i'm wrong

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Adams is gone next year and there's no guarantee AG will be a long-term solution unfortunately because of his shoulder (even though I love his game and think he's a stud).

Considering the above, plus MALs de-commit, yes, PG is a BIG position of need. For 2017... not as much. But Waters would have put himself in position to be lead PG by 2018.

I agree with this. I think people are overstating our depth in the backcourt as a factor for scaring off Tremont. In one year we will be right back in the major positional shortage scenario but in the backcourt instead. Why not develop a guy and get the freshman jitters out of the way now.

Reaction Score
Where is Adams going? He's not on any 2018 mocks and isn't considered a top 100 prospect

He's a good college player on a bad team in an awful league

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thank God we're better off without any of these kids who we've missed on or who have transferred - otherwise, I'd be kinda nervous about the future.

If nothing else, we have the loser's lament nailed down cold here.

Reaction Score
It's a loss no matter how you slice it. Very little news, in-state kids opt out, even prostitute programs are out-recruiting us. If we all believe AG may be a risk in being our lead PG, why wouldn't we want to have Waters here for a year learning, enriching, participating, and then ready to be called on for primary duties year 2?

Do we really want to rely on freshman PG's for 2018 in a 2 PG system?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, we have had a lot of practice this spring.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good luck Bobby Boucher.

Reaction Score
Where is Adams going? He's not on any 2018 mocks and isn't considered a top 100 prospect

He's a good college player on a bad team in an awful league

So tired of all the blame shifting around here. Chill out.. The team will be better this year, which will help the conference A LOT. To remove the struggles of the conference from the struggles of UConn is missing the mark entirely.
Now with Wichita State coming in, to go with replenished rosters at a lot of schools that were in transition this year, the conference should take a nice step forward. That said, its still the performance of UConn that'll be the catalyst for a lot of judgements of the conference from the pundits.
Our fans have no room to talk, at all. I'm more embarrassed by the ignorant fans than by the team. UConn is the biggest factor in improving the AAC, even with a stud Shockers team this year.
Adams will be fine. There will be a lot of nice guard matchups in the league this year.

Reaction Score
What is odd is that Will Wade, LSU's new coach, has coached 4 years, has not beaten a ranked team, has not won a regular season conference title, has not won a conference tournament, and is 1-2 in the NCAA tournament. Although he has a good won-loss record, he doesn't seem to be a proven head coach.

Reaction Score
You're kidding yourself if you don't think we would have been better off from a purely basketball standpoint without him, although we've known for a couple weeks now (definitively) he was not coming to UConn. The "3rd PG" thing is dumb....at worst he would've been the 4th guard in an offense that probably would've started 3 guards - he would have seen PLENTY of time running the point.

However, it's obvious that this situation was a bit of a circus and after the Vance situation, I wouldn't have been surprised at all if KO just decided it was better to let him walk. We've heard his dad isn't a bad guy and just wants best for Tremont, but LSU is certainly not best for Tremont so that's a bunch of BS. We aren't going to get a better player in 2017, but hopefully we can lock up Moretti and he's a solid player for us.

As for landing bigger fish - need a couple in 2018.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Thank God we're better off without any of these kids who we've missed on or who have transferred - otherwise, I'd be kinda nervous about the future.

I sense you have tired of ENYA.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's not just LSU's top academics; I blame the guy who has the painted tiger girl as his avatar.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys. I had bad info on waters at time. Joy of recruiting
Your information is the best on this board but we all know (or should) that recruiting is fluid and anything can happen until that signed LOI arrives. Come to think of it even after it arrives these days. Keep the recruiting news coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom