Waters Signed With LSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Waters Signed With LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kids can choose where they want to go and play college basketball. I don't fault this young man for making up his mind and choosing to go somewhere else. The problem here is that he was a nationally ranked kid from Connecticut who, for whatever reason, just didn't want to come here. He hoped for Duke, Kansas...anyone who he could rationalize was a better program than UCONN. He flirted with Western Kentucky and Creighton? Finally, LSU gave him a an offer that his father could spin as being the perfect place for him. This is a kid who we should have gotten. This was a kid who should have wanted to be gotten.

It is a new recruiting world that we all live in. The conference is an issue, make no mistake about it. The transfers from last year were an issue, as well. I am glad that the Waters recruitment is over. Onward and upward.

pj

Reaction Score
I wish him well, but I question the career prospects of these players who have idiosyncratic strategies of choosing a college, not based on going out and competing with top talent.

From UConn's point of view, best to have guys who want to be at UConn and who see the other players as teammates, not competitors for minutes or shots or ball control. If we can get Moretti and a top 2018 player like Jalen Carey, UConn will be in terrific shape.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason TW never wanted to attend UConn, long time prior to injuries, mediocre season, transfers, de-commits, etc.

LSU, huh, but hopefully it will work out for him.

Reality is we were never in play for him so it's not someone we lost, CT kid or not.

Reaction Score
Story will be that we swung and missed, but more a mutual decision by all parties to look elsewhere. Would have been nice, but think this will be better for us in the end.

I'm not sure how this could possible be better for us, but I'm not heartbroken, either.

Reaction Score
In terms of a pure college experience, there are few schools more appealing than LSU. I've been down there a few times and it's complete anarchy on the weekends. Compared to UConn, I'm not sure if it's close.

From a basketball perspective, Waters wouldn't play more than 20-25 minutes for UConn this season. The backcourt is too crowded.

Reaction Score
Tremont Waters Signs With LSU | Zagsblog

“Multiple reasons,” Ed Waters told Scout.com. “Lengthy conversations with the coach and looking into the SEC we have network where our wife and I can catch every game if we want to on our network.”

“Having a good contract was important and understanding a coach like Will Wade coming has to prove himself, just like Tremont does,” he added. “I like the fact that he’s hungry and has something to prove. The conversations have been amazing.”

LSU is definitely a strange choice. No way to spin it.

Reaction Score

“Multiple reasons,” Ed Waters told Scout.com. “Lengthy conversations with the coach and looking into the SEC we have network where our wife and I can catch every game if we want to on our network.”

“Having a good contract was important and understanding a coach like Will Wade coming has to prove himself, just like Tremont does,” he added. “I like the fact that he’s hungry and has something to prove. The conversations have been amazing.”

LSU is definitely a strange choice. No way to spin it.
Contract??

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Tremont is not a tuna, people. Be patient.

Reaction Score
“Lengthy conversations with the coach and looking into the SEC we have network where our wife and I can catch every game if we want to on our network.”

Storrs is an hour away and they could watch half of his games in person....Ed Waters is rolling through the streets of New Haven in a new car this week - stay woke

Reaction Score
We didn't want him. Believe it or not.
I always wondered if he was the right fit. Gilbert will be a freshman and starting two really small guards could cause problems. MAL was brought in as a bigger guard to replace Adams and play with Gilbert. Yes, yes, someone will bring up Napier and Boatright but Bazz wasn't as small as Waters and Gilbert.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
While it's upsetting that a top 100 CT kid didn't want to play PG in a guard-centric offense in his home state at a position of need for us...

I'm gonna go ahead and say we dodged a bullet on this one with the baggage of his dad and his perceived 'me' attitude.

Maybe sour grapes... but... LSU!? Ha, okay. Good luck.
Agreed. Too much competition for his playing time and "keys" desires at guard here (JA, AG,CV et al.)

Reaction Score
Alterique is even bigger than Tremont. Think UConn could have 2 sub 5'11 guys on the court at the same time? It would be hard.

UConn prioritized MAL over Tremont. Then when Alterique got hurt, it was clear he'd have 4 more years. This was not in the cards with Waters. He was a Georgetown commit first, and Georgetown still wanted him, but UConn was never in the picture early with MAL and Alterique there. So it's not like the kid automatically dismissed UConn.

Instead, UConn rightly moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson