Watched Wahab play last night | The Boneyard

Watched Wahab play last night

Reaction Score
Went to QWs game last night in Richmond against Trinity Episcopal and sat right behind his bench. My son and I had on our UCONN gear which he saw and looked at us many times. Unofficial head stats had him at 23-13-3-3. Played against 6’-7’ 4*Henry Coleman ( UVA and VT heavy on him ) and 6’-11” Burke Smith ( Ivies and other VA schools looking at him ). Both class of 2020. Coleman is the real deal. Scored from all over the floor.

What I liked...very vocal on offensive posssesions calling for the ball. Nice soft touch from 12’ and in. He looked to score when in the paint with the ball. Made foul shots. He had a baby jump hook shot from 6’ and in that was unstoppable when he had single coverage on him. Contested shots on D when given the chance. Played all 32 minutes and held up well.
Needs work on...beefing up. Not as wide and solid as I thought he would be. Still growing so this can be accomplished. Offensive moves. When he had the ball down low he would always give the left-right-left,etc side shakes trying to get his defender to commit one way or the other. At times, this gave enough time for the guards to drop back down and strip the ball from him or force him to abandon his shot. Coachable. Foot work on D was ok just needs to work a little bit on positioning.
The opposition team was taking mainly perimeter shots so he wasn’t as dominant on D in this game.
I see him as a 4 yr guy with plenty of upside. Not a starter his freshmen year but someone who can get minutes and contribute.
I shook his hand after the game and said “ good game Q. I’ll be watching on the 30th and hoping that you choose the good guys “ as I pointed to my husky shirt. He then grinned.

Attachments

• 47EE61D1-70CB-4166-AA8A-2C2C56E5FA44.png
    47EE61D1-70CB-4166-AA8A-2C2C56E5FA44.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 359

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Great work @Mr P.

For those who haven't seen him play yet, Wahab really is closest to Boone in terms of our former bigs. Would be useful from Day 1 and probably a starter by his sophomore season.

Reaction Score
Great work @Mr P.

For those who haven't seen him play yet, Wahab really is closest to Boone in terms of our former bigs. Would be useful from Day 1 and probably a starter by his sophomore season.
I haven’t seen him play much but I bet he would start day 1.

Reaction Score
Great work @Mr P.

There ain’t nothing wrong with Boone....kid was under appreciated in terms of defense and rebounding. I will never forget how he held down middle during 2004 early rounds of big east tournament with okafor hurt. I would sign up for another Boone in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I am with @Matrim55 with this one. I see him being too raw offensively to start Day 1. He would play at least 20 minutes next year because of his defense/rebounding, and maybe he is a starter late in the year.
Agree. Needs to add weight and strength in order to hold his position on the blocks and not get pushed off his marks. He can be the defensive stopper that we’ve been lacking.

Reaction Score
There ain’t nothing wrong with Boone....kid was under appreciated in terms of defense and rebounding. I will never forget how he held down middle during 2004 early rounds of big east tournament with okafor hurt. I would sign up for another Boone in a heartbeat.
Boone is way better than anyone in our frontcourts, way better.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Went to QWs game last night in Richmond against Trinity Episcopal and sat right behind his bench. My son and I had on our UCONN gear which he saw and looked at us many times. Unofficial head stats had him at 23-13-3-3. Played against 6’-7’ 4*Henry Coleman ( UVA and VT heavy on him ) and 6’-11” Burke Smith ( Ivies and other VA schools looking at him ). Both class of 2020. Coleman is the real deal. Scored from all over the floor.

What I liked...very vocal on offensive posssesions calling for the ball. Nice soft touch from 12’ and in. He looked to score when in the paint with the ball. Made foul shots. He had a baby jump hook shot from 6’ and in that was unstoppable when he had single coverage on him. Contested shots on D when given the chance. Played all 32 minutes and held up well.
Needs work on...beefing up. Not as wide and solid as I thought he would be. Still growing so this can be accomplished. Offensive moves. When he had the ball down low he would always give the left-right-left,etc side shakes trying to get his defender to commit one way or the other. At times, this gave enough time for the guards to drop back down and strip the ball from him or force him to abandon his shot. Coachable. Foot work on D was ok just needs to work a little bit on positioning.
The opposition team was taking mainly perimeter shots so he wasn’t as dominant on D in this game.
I see him as a 4 yr guy with plenty of upside. Not a starter his freshmen year but someone who can get minutes and contribute.
I shook his hand after the game and said “ good game Q. I’ll be watching on the 30th and hoping that you choose the good guys “ as I pointed to my husky shirt. He then grinned.
Nice ... no ... awesome 1st post. I think he sounds like a Brimah, which was also my thought after seeing his video.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the boots on the ground.

If he comes here I think he and Carlton would be a serviceable duo at the 5 starting next year. Each has their own unique strengths that Hurley could situationally take advantage of

Reaction Score
Nice ... no ... awesome 1st post. I think he sounds like a Brimah, which was also my thought after seeing his video.

Looks a lot better than that to me. Thats a good thing though for now.

Reaction Score
Number 1 great job by Mr P (OP) and his son love this post.

Number 2 give me a Josh Boone again anytime, the 30th is huge.

Thanks cool thread.
Thanks Mauconnfan. Gonna try and get to Alexandria today to catch the second of his back to back games and get my other sons to come and wear their UConn gear. To paraphrase Chief from a previous thread “it doesn’t hurt to wear your UCONN gear to help recruiting” I’m sure Q knows who is committing to but I want to show him that we want him.

Reaction Score

Defensive impact could make him like Brimah. He's much stronger than Brimah at this stage, a little less of a shotblocker, but more potential offensively. I agree with the boone comparison.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You went to the 99 championship game, are enough of a fan to go see recruits, and yet you've made one post. What made you jump into the pool ?

Watching and meeting an important recruit, would be my guess.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Way to go @Mr P ! Good to show recruits that UConn Nation wants them and supports them at their games. Good stuff. Hope he chooses the good guys.

On another note, I don’t think he starts Day 1 but he is definitely a 20-25 min a game guy from Day 1.

Reaction Score
Everybody says that, but really Josh has just had probably the best three game stretch of his career. He is clearly getting better and will be a Junior next year.
If this team wants to be an NCAA team next year, Carlton needs to be a backup center not our starter.

Reaction Score
Yes, I was at the 99 game. I wasn’t going to miss that opportunity. Started going to games in the mid 70’s in the old FH. Been following the BY for years.

Well welcome aboard. Please don't wait 20 or 30 years for your next post. (if everyone waited until they actually had something of interest to say, there would be no boneyard)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom