Was Boykin on the bench tonight? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Was Boykin on the bench tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I guess her last game was more memorial to me because in the opening minute Will scored on Bales and played a pretty good game to go along with BT's terrific game in Bridgeport that year. I don't remember much about the tX game.
Her Texas game was legendary. But the pt is she rose to the occasion when we needed her most! :)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Kind of crazy for so early in the season:

1. Boykins - injury / academic problems
2. Butler - injury
3. Saniya - injury
4. Samuelson - illness

Butler, Chong and Samuelson will all be needed if we are going to make a championship run...Boykins would be gravy.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Butler and Samuelson are more important for next year. Chong is important for this year.

More important is to remember that the team is less than 1/4 of the way into the season and there is a lot of time for nagging injuries to heal. I have no doubt that UConn can win the NC this year without any of them. A plus - they have Tierney Lawlor the best shooter in the NCAA.

James Failla Jr

Stink Bug
Reaction Score
Received annual Christmas card in mail today from Uconn with team picture , no Boykin in picture.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
James Failla Jr said:
Received annual Christmas card in mail today from Uconn with team picture , no Boykin in picture.

OK - now I'm definitely worried. We have been seeing yellow flags for awhile but IMO this is a red flag with respect to her status going forward.

I wish the best for DB and sincerely hope that we see her in action soon (as soon as she's ready, both physically and academically) but at this point the odds just took a big hit.

Signed,
Concerned in Virginia

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with VA Mike - concerned.

It's kind of bizarre and honestly, I'm disappointed in the UCONN staff right now. I think it's a bit irresponsible of them to do that with no explanation to the fans as to why. In a way, it's like finding out your parents are getting divorced when the family Christmas photo is missing one of them.

I'm surprised and disappointed that we've gotten no explanation thus far. Until now it's all been speculation. No Boykin on the Christmas card is a tangible sign of a problem with no comment from Geno or the staff.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ericsandiego said:
I'm with VA Mike - concerned. It's kind of bizarre and honestly, I'm disappointed in the UCONN staff right now. I think it's a bit irresponsible of them to do that with no explanation to the fans as to why. In a way, it's like finding out your parents are getting divorced when the family Christmas photo is missing one of them. I'm surprised and disappointed that we've gotten no explanation thus far. Until now it's all been speculation. No Boykin on the Christmas card is a tangible sign of a problem with no comment from Geno or the staff.

Eric - I understand your disappointment, but with respect to the lack of info, it is (IMO) very possible that the situation is quite delicate right now, and/or it may be that Geno & staff do not quite know themselves what's going on from day to day. In either of these cases it's understandable that we wouldn't hear much if anything via public channels.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno addressed Boykin's status after last night's game as quoted in Jim Fuller's blog:

"It has been hard," Auriemma said. "She hasn't been healthy. She had the wrist issue and then she had the Achilles issue so that is one problems and the other problem is that there are some academic issues we are trying to work through so it is like she hasn't been there. It is a little different that Natalie because at least Natalie had a chance to practice all of last year so it has been a struggle, it really has been a struggle for her and hopefully this week she takes care of what we needs to take care of (during finals) and we will go from there "

Honestly, I'm not sure what else you all think you're entitled to know about the situation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno addressed Boykin's status after last night's game as quoted in Jim Fuller's blog:

"It has been hard," Auriemma said. "She hasn't been healthy. She had the wrist issue and then she had the Achilles issue so that is one problems and the other problem is that there are some academic issues we are trying to work through so it is like she hasn't been there. It is a little different that Natalie because at least Natalie had a chance to practice all of last year so it has been a struggle, it really has been a struggle for her and hopefully this week she takes care of what we needs to take care of (during finals) and we will go from there "

Honestly, I'm not sure what else you all think you're entitled to know about the situation.
I am sure we are entitled to nothing. But if you sincerely believe that Geno's statement above contains an explanation why a player would be removed from a Christmas team photo, I would disagree- STRONGLY!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I totally get what you guys are saying, but Geno's comments do not address why she's not on the Christmas card picture. It takes what - an hour to shoot the picture for the team? If she has so much going on that she can't find an hour to shoot the holiday picture...

Not putting her on the holiday card as part of the team picture is a very conscious decision. I just don't get it. To me that means she's not part of the UCONN team in some material way.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I just want to add that in last night's game, when Pam went through who was hurt and not available, DJB was not mentioned. It's too bad but I'm hoping for the best.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just want to add that in last night's game, when Pam went through who was hurt and not available, DJB was not mentioned. It's too bad but I'm hoping for the best.
From today's Hartford Courant:

Boykin's challenge: It is clear the coaches have decided freshman De'janae Boykin should not be a part of the team on game day until she remedies some early problems she's having in the classroom. It's one thing when the team keeps you home from road trips, but Boykin was not at Mohegan Sun Arena Friday and its unlikely she will return until she stabilizes her school work. Auriemma believes this is a necessary step to ensure her future with the program. "It's been hard. She hasn't been healthy with wrist and Achilles issues," Auriemma said. "And the other problem is the academic issues we are trying to work through. It's like she hasn't been there. it's been a struggle for her – not so much for us - but a huge struggle for her. Hopefully she takes care of what she needs to take care of this week and we'll go from there."

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Give the young lady some room. I cannot imagine what it's like to be a college freshman and have your personal issues, including health issues and academic problems, played out in the media. She deserves the chance to resolve these matters in private. I wish her the best, as I'm sure all Boneyarders do.

Reaction Score
From today's Hartford Courant:

Boykin's challenge: It is clear the coaches have decided freshman De'janae Boykin should not be a part of the team on game day until she remedies some early problems she's having in the classroom. It's one thing when the team keeps you home from road trips, but Boykin was not at Mohegan Sun Arena Friday and its unlikely she will return until she stabilizes her school work. Auriemma believes this is a necessary step to ensure her future with the program. "It's been hard. She hasn't been healthy with wrist and Achilles issues," Auriemma said. "And the other problem is the academic issues we are trying to work through. It's like she hasn't been there. it's been a struggle for her – not so much for us - but a huge struggle for her. Hopefully she takes care of what she needs to take care of this week and we'll go from there."

Thanks, Nan. This put an end to all speculations.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I sort of wish this thread would go away at this point. We know a few things, and we will not know anything more until we get more specific information from either the team directly or from something specific the horde writes.

1. DJB has a nagging achilles injury and has had issues with her previously injured wrist.
2. DJB has some unspecified but serious academic issues that the team is dealing with by removing her from the public aspects of team activities.
3. Butler has been medically cleared to play for a couple of weeks. Medically cleared is NOT the same as healthy. It is a status indicating doctors believe the healing has reached a point where normal activity, possibly with a medically indicated protective device, will not lead to further injury or retard the healing process. (It can also indicate a status that a player who still has an injury will not risk further injury by continuing to play.)
4. Geno and the coaches have determined that Butler is not in fact ready to play. This does not represent a 'set-back' necessarily, just that her performance in practice has not been good enough to warrant her playing yet. This is pretty standard stuff for athletes returning from injury - confidence, trust in the injured area, compensation for a still weakened area, stamina, pain threshold, and numerous other reasons might be the cause. With a ten day exam break on the horizon and the team playing well, there was no pressing need to rush the return to the court.

Everything else is speculation, and a lot of that speculation is about personal issues of players that are not our purview on this board.

Reaction Score
They are not kids. Once you reach your 18th birthday you are legally considered an adult in the U.S.A. I believe every UConn WCBB player is considered an adult. As far as "privacy laws" are concerned, it would get a little murky with respect to FERPA, but good luck in court on that one.

FERPA wins every time in this situation. The locus of control switches to the student, but she doesn't give up her rights: "When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student ("eligible student"). The FERPA statute is found at 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and the FERPA regulations are found at 34 CFR Part 99."

We simply have NO legal standing to know anything. (Not that we don't want to know; just that we cannot be informed against the wishes of the student, if 18 or over and against the wishes of the parent, if under 18.)

Reaction Score
Doing a little bit of research this is what I found ....

Every student athlete has a clock of 5 years, starting at first enrollment in college, in which to complete 4 years of competition.

Competition in one play in one intercollegiate competition in any one academic year constitutes one year of eligibility.

A "redshirt" is when a player does not compete for even that one play and therefore does not burn that eligibility year. But since you still only have five years to get in that four years of eligibility you only get one year "redshirt".

A medical hardship is technically not a redshirt. To qualify for a medical hardship these three conditions must be met: 1) injury is season ending, 2) occurs during the first half of season, and 3) athlete has not played in more 3o% of scheduled games.

A "red shirt" is elective.
A player must apply for a medical hardship at the end of the year.
So then Natalie wouldn't qualify for a Medical hardship since the doctors cleared her to play a couple weeks ago, or so it was reported. Correct? I mean 1) how can you say it's season ending when the doctors cleared you to play after 5 or 6 games into the season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hmmmm. Wanna bet?
Honestly, I'm completely satisfied with that explanation (that Nan posted). It tells us what's going on and what she's doing to work through it. It may not have been a direct quote from the coaches, but I doubt a writer from the horde would say "It is clear the coaches have decided freshman De'janae Boykin should not be a part of the team on game day until she remedies some early problems she's having in the classroom. It's one thing when the team keeps you home from road trips, but Boykin was not at Mohegan Sun Arena Friday and its unlikely she will return until she stabilizes her school work."

I have no problem with tough love (not that Geno or the staff would care one iota if I had a problem with how they ran their team or not)... But my point is I'm glad to have the "facts" (as they are) out there so we can stop with wondering and worrying, and yes... speculating! :D

De'janae - I doubt you read this, but please know that every UCONN fan who is aware of your situation is rooting big time for you and we want to see you succeed in the classroom, on the court, and in life! Go get em!!!

Reaction Score
I was thinking maybe Boykins should red shirt but I really would love to see her play this year

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hmmmm. Wanna bet?

I said (other thread) :
Conclusion: She is some sort of neverland status; not quite on the team nor off.
It is hard to believe that the PR Dept. forgot about her, this was an intentional slight and message (to someone).

Faites attention c'il vous plait...the incoming is very subtle.

(And I didn't know about the team picture that was mentioned by Sarals and which alarmed folks on this thread).

You Said
30 seconds later
:

My conclusion is that you fantasize drama and hope that occasionally (sic) one of them sticks.

And although I backed down under your strong objection (not so nice)....and deferred to the authority of the board

In retrospect, it seems that I was just about completely correct in my analysis... spot on...and if you knew about the Christmas Card when you wrote your rebuttal attacking my (admittedly strange anticipatory) methodology you were being disingenuous.

Not my style to attack the mods but I absolutely agree with Eric's earlier post: I'm disappointed in the UCONN staff right now.

This is not about the kid anymore...it's about the grownups managing a situation. And I think by just being honest and forthright, this entire controversy could and should have been avoided.

Even if its none of our business, it's turned into a (very minor) public relations nightmare.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
FERPA wins every time in this situation. The locus of control switches to the student, but she doesn't give up her rights: "When a student turns 18 years old, or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student ("eligible student"). The FERPA statute is found at 20 U.S.C. § 1232g and the FERPA regulations are found at 34 CFR Part 99."

We simply have NO legal standing to know anything. (Not that we don't want to know; just that we cannot be informed against the wishes of the student, if 18 or over and against the wishes of the parent, if under 18.)
Wouldn't HIPAA apply as well?

Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
Wouldn't HIPAA apply as well?

HIPAA would keep a health care provider from releasing a medical update. FERPA applies to information relating to anything educational.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The distress is the absence of a cherished kid with the most sketchy explanations...ok, home to attend to studies for a road trip, but this was a virtual home game.

Michael - please do not put your tin foil hat on....you have a recurring theme each season that some member of the team is being mistreated, unloved, disrespected by Geno, etc. If DB is injured and needs help with academics, please do not read Area 51 into this.

Reaction Score
So then Natalie wouldn't qualify for a Medical hardship since the doctors cleared her to play a couple weeks ago, or so it was reported. Correct? I mean 1) how can you say it's season ending when the doctors cleared you to play after 5 or 6 games into the season.

Theoretically she could still qualify if she re injured it and was out for the season before having played the requisite number of games. However remember that being granted a 6th year would be very unusual, no matter what the reason.

In any event, I don't think this will be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer