Walker's Visit this weekend | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Walker's Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This discussion about campus environment has certainly been enriching and that is surely an important factor for recruits like Ms Walker to consider. . .

. . . Along with academics, coaching, tradition, NC prospects, and PT.:rolleyes:

There is yet another: future teammates. IIRC Lexi Gordon was pleasantly surprised that Huskies are "not robots," but a close knit and fun-loving group - just the kind of girls she would like to be with for arduous practices, extended travel, challenging games, and FOUR YEARS of constant close relationship.

Sooo, if I were in some recruit's sneakers :eek: I would closely check out Kia, Gabby, Lou and Pheese -- and, if possible, Kyla, Molly, Andra, Crystal, and Lexi. After all, they might be a huge part of my life for four important years!

Fitting right in with this is an SNY segment with Kerith Burke that is embedded in an April 6 NY paper article that I have seen bits of, never the whole thing til Bing said to me today, hey Rocky check this out, and it is pretty special and right at the top of the piece. You might want to check it out.

UConn wins fourth straight NCAA women's basketball title

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
My son visited only two colleges, Amherst and Brown, and immediately chose the latter. We live in Lower Manhattan in an area with low-rise buildings. My son went to high school in Brooklyn Heights in a similar setting: urban with low-rise buildings. When I asked him why he chose Brown, he said he liked its urban setting with low-rise buildings. Go figure. BTW, he loved Brown, so I guess he knew what he was doing.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
My daughter had specific criteria among them the size of the school. That eliminated anything over about 5,000 students. She visited William & Mary, Gettysburg, Union, Williams & Smith. After listening to the informational spiel she turned to me and said "Do we have to stay for the tour?" I said we didn't and we left. It simply didn't feel right to her.

She loved her four years at Smith.

Reaction Score
Unofficial self guided tours of ESPN and the UConn Dairy Bar.
ESPN wouldn't get me ---but that DAIRY BAR--I loved it when I worked there and as a FAN. I enjoyed the Beef and Pork cuts too (but not at the dairy bar) that I got at Uconn. Ice skating rink was a family favorite as well as tobogganing on the slight slopes up from the old Dairy Bar.

Reaction Score
My daughter had specific criteria among them the size of the school. That eliminated anything over about 5,000 students. She visited William & Mary, Gettysburg, Union, Williams & Smith. After listening to the informational spiel she turned to me and said "Do we have to stay for the tour?" I said we didn't and we left. It simply didn't feel right to her.

She loved her four years at Smith.

Three of my daughters opted for Harvard, MIT, and Uconn---each made a terrific choice. I was impressed by the MIT efforts to work with students to make the MiT experience a pleasure for parent and student. Others of mine went to Hawaii, USC Irvine, Ca, San Diego St, Ca and West Chester (but Geno didn't visit them there)and American University in Puerto Rico

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Bags27 - I am not disagreeing - just saying that most people do have a visceral reaction to some places. Had a friend who arranged to meet me in NYC when I was living there - we were supposed to meet for a late lunch and around 12:30 I got a phone call that they were back in NJ, having spent 10 minutes in the city and gotten on the next train out. Ten minutes was all they could stand of that environment. That was surely a little extreme, but I know there are a few places i have visited that you could not pay me enough money to move to for four years, and at least three that I spent months living in that I hope to never visit again. (Interestingly two are located in Tennessee. :eek::))
Memphis and Knoxville?

I vaguely remember your saying something about this a long time ago but don't remember which places, if you even said.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Memphis and Knoxville?

I vaguely remember your saying something about this a long time ago but don't remember which places, if you even said.
Crossville - in the middle of nowhere about equidistant from Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga. And Clarksville. One was for a summer theater gig and the other was a small company my company bought out and I was there for about 5 months transitioning and closing down the operation.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Three of my daughters opted for Harvard, MIT, and Uconn---each made a terrific choice. I was impressed by the MIT efforts to work with students to make the MiT experience a pleasure for parent and student. Others of mine went to Hawaii, USC Irvine, Ca, San Diego St, Ca and West Chester (but Geno didn't visit them there)and American University in Puerto Rico
BroadwayVa = Mike Brady
7ba72a95e9da50b8a2ae66c07e6418ae_600x400.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm not a Connecticut resident--never lived there, though have spent a fair amount of time doing stuff there--and I happen to like Storrs. It's not (say) Ann Arbor, Madison, or Berkeley (what is?), but it has enough to do, okay food, really nice people. And it really is a pretty campus. If you're a WCBB player, your life is so directed that it pretty much takes up all the emotional slack that most other students need diversion to fill. I don't think UConn has anything to be ashamed of, when it comes to recruiting.

Reaction Score
Do we know what she has been doing on campus? Geno is in the hospital, but even if he wasn't it looks as if he was flying somewhere today. Are we sure she is definitely there on campus?

Reaction Score
Boo Williams posted on his twitter that she scored 17 points in their game today, so it looks like she isn't in CT after all

Reaction Score
Boo Williams posted on his twitter that she scored 17 points in their game today, so it looks like she isn't in CT after all
Not a good sign unless they reschedule because of Geno illness. I'm hoping But if not wonder why it was reported that she'll be coming

Reaction Score
Walker played in an AAU tournament in Brooklyn today. She was in Storrs on Friday and reportedly had a "great day."

Where this info come from? Not doubting you. But it was ease my nerves to have it validated.

Fanmomma

UCONN WBB ALL DAY
Reaction Score
Where this info come from? Not doubting you. But it was ease my nerves to have it validated.
She tweeted she had a great day yesterday from Storrs. Then this morning really early she tweeted from Brooklyn.

<a href="">April 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"">@RoseClassic</a> <br><br>M. Walker 17pts<br>A. Owusu 12pts<br>X. Wiggins 11pts</p>&mdash; Boo Williams (@BooWilliamsAAU) <a href="">April 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Reaction Score

BROAD: Dude, you were (or are) an impressively busy boy! Comin' up on double digits there....reminds me of my great grandpa's active evenings on the PA farm. Thirteen in all.

Reaction Score
I thought she was going to be on campus for the entire weekend. She was there Friday but she has official visits planned for ND but not us :(

Reaction Score
I had a kid who went to Penn State.....no wait it was the state pen,that's where it was.

PAC: Appreciate the humor in deed. But can sure relate to that on another level. Lewisburg Penitentiary. Three guys who murdered a very, very close cousin of mine ( I had been honored to serve as his Best Man) back in the mountains went there. Turned out they were a little sorry about that. (And they didn't even know him when it all went down.....scumbags.)

Reaction Score
I thought she was going to be on campus for the entire weekend. She was there Friday but she has official visits planned for ND but not us :(
Unless she was only visiting cause she was in area for AAU game in New York. Wouldn't read to much she will have a official visit most likely the weekend of first night. Coach was in hospital not much going on this weekend. And this was a unofficial visit. So wouldn't read to much into it. el

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Crossville - in the middle of nowhere about equidistant from Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga. And Clarksville. One was for a summer theater gig and the other was a small company my company bought out and I was there for about 5 months transitioning and closing down the operation.
Ah, thanks. The summer gig rings a bell.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
She could have stayed the night at UConn and have time to make it to Brooklyn Saturday morning. I'm not sure she'd do that tho, don't wanna alienate her AAU teammates but maybe they'd understand. The UConn girls looked tired while signing autographs at the Spring Game.
and I guess that "own dime" goes out the door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog