Walker's Visit this weekend | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Walker's Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is a good sign for me. When prospects spend their own dime for a visit and their decision is only a few months away, that can only mean that they are saving the formal visit for first night.

Those who came on a formal visit last are just using a free trip for them and their parents just to make sure they are not missing on something since they already know they are staying close to home.

Of course I am reading too much into things as usual. Have a great visit, Megan!

Reaction Score
Mo said yesterday that the four years at UConn were great but she's looking forward to smelling some Texas. I think that supports someone in the UcMiami/bags27 debate. But too tired to cognate.
Thanks, Rocky. Not a debate, of course, just two fans spinning wheels waiting for something significant to happen. But I do think this probably suggests that environment doesn't matter much to a top athlete. They may not find it their favorite place to live for 4 years, but neither are most Olympic training centers. Lou left sunny CA (and a sure-fire spot with her sis at Stanford), because she thought she'd be a significantly better player in the end. Again, campus convenience calculates for those who can't imagine true greatness, but, for those who do, they'll go anywhere, suffer any hardship to learn from the master.
Pai_Mei_teaching_Bride_Punch.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bags27 - I am not disagreeing - just saying that most people do have a visceral reaction to some places. Had a friend who arranged to meet me in NYC when I was living there - we were supposed to meet for a late lunch and around 12:30 I got a phone call that they were back in NJ, having spent 10 minutes in the city and gotten on the next train out. Ten minutes was all they could stand of that environment. That was surely a little extreme, but I know there are a few places i have visited that you could not pay me enough money to move to for four years, and at least three that I spent months living in that I hope to never visit again. (Interestingly two are located in Tennessee. :eek::))

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bags27 - I am not disagreeing - just saying that most people do have a visceral reaction to some places. Had a friend who arranged to meet me in NYC when I was living there - we were supposed to meet for a late lunch and around 12:30 I got a phone call that they were back in NJ, having spent 10 minutes in the city and gotten on the next train out. Ten minutes was all they could stand of that environment. That was surely a little extreme, but I know there are a few places i have visited that you could not pay me enough money to move to for four years, and at least three that I spent months living in that I hope to never visit again. (Interestingly two are located in Tennessee. :eek::))
My daughter had a similar reaction on our visit to Columbia University. We visited on Columbus Day and were met with several organized student protest. It took forever to find a parking spot and as we walk across campus to try and find the coaches offices nobody made eye contact and everyone was in a hurry to get somewhere. Five minutes into the meeting I got the sense things weren't going well. When one of the assistant coaches asked her "Could you see yourself going to school here?" "Not really" she responded. 30 Minutes later we were heading home down the NJ turnpike- "Dad I just couldn't she said.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My daughter had a similar reaction on our visit to Columbia University. We visited on Columbus Day and were met with several organized student protest. It took forever to find a parking spot and as we walk across campus to try and find the coaches offices nobody made eye contact and everyone was in a hurry to get somewhere. Five minutes into the meeting I got the sense things weren't going well. When one of the assistant coaches asked her "Could you see yourself going to school here?" "Not really" she responded. 30 Minutes later we were heading home down the NJ turnpike- "Dad I just couldn't she said.
My youngest thought he wanted a suburban/rural setting and seemed dead set against an urban college. When it was time to tour colleges, he wanted to go to Washington DC area schools, Virginia Tech, and others, including his eventual destination of Elon University. For the first trip, we drove to Baltimore and visited Loyola which he really liked despite its being in the city. As we drove towards Virginia Tech we passed miles and miles of nothing then we saw only truck stops with adult book stores. We didn't even make it to Blacksburg when he announced "I can't live out here".

Kids have to see a campus and experience its setting before they can truly decide. Or they should, anyway. Just MHO.

Reaction Score
Funny you should mention Columbia. We went with our daughter on a visit there and as soon as she saw the fortress like walls and gates keeping the homeless out along with the sirens every 10 minutes or so we knew we were wasting our time. It was in season and the attendance of about 30 at the game on a Saturday night was the final blow. I could only imagine the poor coaches' embarrassment. No wonder they seem to leave every 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Right, these are the visits (often humorous but often frustrating for parents) of children who see college as a four year living and growing experience exclusively. But a truly gifted musician would never turn down (say) Julliard because it happens to be in New York, while some "normal" student might well decide that a New York college isn't for her. Similarly a top-20 WCBB recruit might chose another college for the criteria I set out above, but I doubt that a not especially lovely day during a spring campus visit is going to tip the scales.

Reaction Score
Right, these are the visits (often humorous but often frustrating for parents) of children who see college as a four year living and growing experience exclusively. But a truly gifted musician would never turn down (say) Julliard because it happens to be in New York, while some "normal" student might well decide that a New York college isn't for her. Similarly a top-20 WCBB recruit might chose another college for the criteria I set out above, but I doubt that a not especially lovely day during a spring campus visit is going to tip the scales.
Let's just hope breakfast at Geno's tips the scales.

Reaction Score
Lots of great points on this board for sure. I must say i learned something.

Goes to show you. You like a school, program, their tradition and all that etc.

However, if you don't click with the environment - and I am sure some athelets have other reasons (PLAYING TIME) afterwards.

But to some the surroundings, attitude of the community and environmental issues play a vital role.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This discussion about campus environment has certainly been enriching and that is surely an important factor for recruits like Ms Walker to consider. . .

. . . Along with academics, coaching, tradition, NC prospects, and PT.:rolleyes:

There is yet another: future teammates. IIRC Lexi Gordon was pleasantly surprised that Huskies are "not robots," but a close knit and fun-loving group - just the kind of girls she would like to be with for arduous practices, extended travel, challenging games, and FOUR YEARS of constant close relationship.

Sooo, if I were in some recruit's sneakers :eek: I would closely check out Kia, Gabby, Lou and Pheese -- and, if possible, Kyla, Molly, Andra, Crystal, and Lexi. After all, they might be a huge part of my life for four important years!

Reaction Score
I appreciate what you say, but I'm having a hard time buying it, because it's not (as it usually is for the average kid) a spontaneous decision. Everything's been pointing to it for 3-4 years; nothing is new, all is calculated, with massive amounts of input from parents, coaches, and friends. All the noise of weather, type of town, dorms, etc. has been normalized out. It's inconceivable to me that a highly recruited all-american returns home from a college visit, and says to her parents: I really think this is the best WCBB program for me, but it just seemed like a dreary campus in April; I think I'll go somewhere else that's sunnier and has almost as good a program. I think that's a far more likely decision by a 3 or 4 star athlete. But 5 star athletes have been conditioned by all their support people to be singularly focused on achievement. IMHO.
Ah, you are so logical, bags. But the effect of environment is likely to be subconscious. The player is likely to say, "it just didn't seem like a fit," without being able to say why. They may be 5-star players, but they are 17-year-olds. remember when you were 17? I'm guessing you might have been far less logical then.

Reaction Score
Or as one highly sought recruit experienced - within minutes of arriving on campus her father slips on some ice, busts his ankle and they spend the day in a hospital and the following day with a dad made miserable by a cast and crutches. They couldn't get out of town fast enough.
If I recall corectly, it was D's parents who complained that the UConn campus was too dark. To which Geno replied, "That's because it's nighttime."

Reaction Score
As long as she is on campus he can speak with her. Unless the rules have changed, anything she purchases such as meals, souvenirs, etc. on campus can't be paid for by UConn. Also, if lodging is off campus, it also can't be paid for by UConn.

No. UConn can pay for her meals while she is on campus. That has always been the case.

Reaction Score
We did an unofficial 3 years back. My daughter said of Columbia "Dad its old and smells" lol kid are funny. Cornell was next. "It cold and no one looks happy". Her visit to Cuse just happen to be the same weekend they played Uconn on the men's side. The atmosphere in the Carrier Dome and all that GD Orange sold her.

Reaction Score
Ah, you are so logical, bags. But the effect of environment is likely to be subconscious. The player is likely to say, "it just didn't seem like a fit," without being able to say why. They may be 5-star players, but they are 17-year-olds. remember when you were 17? I'm guessing you might have been far less logical then.
Good point, but I'm also calculating that for a player for whom so many people along the way--parents, friends, coaches at ever level--have invested in, they will help normalize out any of the spontaneous reactions of a 17 yr old. A college decision for what is essentially a pre-professional athlete surrounded by a kind of brain trust is made differently than for most kids, I think. Sure, some prevail in their spontaneity, but most get talked back from the cliff.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Or as one highly sought recruit experienced - within minutes of arriving on campus her father slips on some ice, busts his ankle and they spend the day in a hospital and the following day with a dad made miserable by a cast and crutches. They couldn't get out of town fast enough.
I'm curious as to who this was. I remember this story from Geno's book, and Geno says something in the book like "by the time this is published, she'll probably have made her decision, so stay tuned," but I didn't read it until several years later, so I never knew who it was or whether she chose UConn in the end despite her father's broken ankle. It was during a shootaround at the Hartford Civic Center though, not on campus (unless this has happened multiple times? :eek:).

I've enjoyed reading through the discussion here about how some colleges, towns, etc. just feel right while others don't. I like UcM's use of the word "visceral" to describe people's reaction to a new place to which they're considering a relocation. We always have to keep in mind that these recruits are selecting both a program and a school/campus, and how much weight they place on each of those things will differ from player to player. One recruit who wants badly to be the best player possible may choose UConn regardless of how much she may dislike the campus atmosphere. A different recruit who also wants badly to be the best player possible may still decide to go elsewhere because, after visiting Storrs, she feels in her gut that she will not be happy spending four years there. I don't think either decision is necessarily irrational; it just means that different people, and even different elite basketball prospects, have varying perspectives on what will make them happy or satisfied in life.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
As long as she is on campus he can speak with her. Unless the rules have changed, anything she purchases such as meals, souvenirs, etc. on campus can't be paid for by UConn. Also, if lodging is off campus, it also can't be paid for by UConn.
But Kibitzer is not allowed on campus while she is here!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to who this was. I remember this story from Geno's book, and Geno says something in the book like "by the time this is published, she'll probably have made her decision, so stay tuned," but I didn't read it until several years later, so I never knew who it was or whether she chose UConn in the end despite her father's broken ankle. It was during a shootaround at the Hartford Civic Center though, not on campus (unless this has happened multiple times? :eek:).

I've enjoyed reading through the discussion here about how some colleges, towns, etc. just feel right while others don't. I like UcM's use of the word "visceral" to describe people's reaction to a new place to which they're considering a relocation. We always have to keep in mind that these recruits are selecting both a program and a school/campus, and how much weight they place on each of those things will differ from player to player. One recruit who wants badly to be the best player possible may choose UConn regardless of how much she may dislike the campus atmosphere. A different recruit who also wants badly to be the best player possible may still decide to go elsewhere because, after visiting Storrs, she feels in her gut that she will not be happy spending four years there. I don't think either decision is necessarily irrational; it just means that different people, and even different elite basketball prospects, have varying perspectives on what will make them happy or satisfied in life.

It was Jayne Appel and a very serious injury.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/sports/ncaabasketball/05women.html?_r=0

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Okay, now I'll tell my kid to college story which fits right in with this debate. Youngest of 3, most diligent student, can go anywhere, a pre-med program anticipated based on senior year mentorship with a big time ortho surgeon in Fairfield Cty. We set out on a late summer 2 week grand caravan, Cornell, Penn, Yale, Harvard(also an alma of mine) yadda yadda. It was a wonderful trip - great memories. But I couldn't get a read on her reaction to any school except mine, Cornell - no way dad. Why not? Just no. In the end she chose her school - unvisited in the grand tour...Fairfield, a 20 minute drive from home. Ivy league prices, just no ivy! I now what you're thinking, I thought that too. But no, she lived in the dorms (all 4 years, no Fairfield beach wild child this), but we only saw her laundry...very little her. So, yeah, never try to figure out what drives a 17/18 year old.

Reaction Score
But even the reporter acknowledges that UConn may not have had a chance anyway:
"The incident is not the sole reason Appel passed on Connecticut — the opportunity to stay close to friends and family tugged at her — but it served as an omen, if nothing else."

proximity to home can be its own reason, but it can be factored into the "basketball" reason as well, to play before friends and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom