Walker's Visit this weekend | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Walker's Visit this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Orang: so it is a guess, or wild speculation, or you actually saw Shea with the whip and iron boot? Just kidding. Do you have any example of such a recruit with what bad habits. They exist of course, and everyone in WCBB knows Geno et als practices are from the bottom up; plus, his critique of AAU ball is now legendary. We now Muffet could never break a certain big girl from walking :rolleyes: and Geno shares that with her in Charde. Got any others?

Y'all watch more UConn than I do, so you can correct me if I'm wrong. I get the sense that Geno has a fairly quick hook if a player is playing poorly or not doing the right things on the court. Seems to me that Muffet is a little more...tolerant isn't the word...willing to let them keep playing anyway, I guess.

I was thinking of how some (more on other boards) have pointed out Ogunbowale and Mabrey2's bad habits. Arike probably should pass more; Marina gambles for steals. I'm sure there are other things but those are noticeable ones for each. Muffet (paraphrasing here, of course) said that she wanted Arike to be aggressive and look for her shot in part because so many ND players are pass-first types. But I'm guessing she still wasn't happy about Cable standing unguarded in the corner while Arike barreled into the paint, which happened a couple of times. I just think that she knew if she got Arike thinking too much, she would compromise her "instant offense" capabilities that ND needed.

Same idea with Marina. Eventually you want those gambles to be more calculated and the hit percentage to be greater. But it's better to have her attacking on D and sometimes making errors than just playing passive.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baylor? Notre Dame? Purdue? Texas A&M? Am I missing something about what you wrote?
Yea I botched it. What I was trying to say is that it would be hard/impossible for a Top recruit-singular to go to a school that had never won a Championship before Like Lobo did for UCONN. That would eliminate Baylor since then won before Griner. Would also eliminate A&M and Purdue because their wasn't a singular recruit-unless I remember wrong.
Might still include ND if you consider Ruth Riley. But my point was it would be hard unless the school the top recruit is going to is already at or near the top.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know this is a thread about Megan but keep in mind that Jade Williams is also realistically down to ND and UCONN now also. Jade's other two choices were Duke and Utah.

I think those were just four schools that it was reported Williams had on a list of visits or home visits. Don't think that was a final list of potential destinations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think those were just four schools that it was reported Williams had on a list of visits or home visits. Don't think that was a final list of potential destinations.
Those 4 are per her profile on ESPN -which is not always accurate either.
jade-williams

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Y'all watch more UConn than I do, so you can correct me if I'm wrong. I get the sense that Geno has a fairly quick hook if a player is playing poorly or not doing the right things on the court. Seems to me that Muffet is a little more...tolerant isn't the word...willing to let them keep playing anyway, I guess.

I was thinking of how some (more on other boards) have pointed out Ogunbowale and Mabrey2's bad habits. Arike probably should pass more; Marina gambles for steals. I'm sure there are other things but those are noticeable ones for each. Muffet (paraphrasing here, of course) said that she wanted Arike to be aggressive and look for her shot in part because so many ND players are pass-first types. But I'm guessing she still wasn't happy about Cable standing unguarded in the corner while Arike barreled into the paint, which happened a couple of times. I just think that she knew if she got Arike thinking too much, she would compromise her "instant offense" capabilities that ND needed.

Same idea with Marina. Eventually you want those gambles to be more calculated and the hit percentage to be greater. But it's better to have her attacking on D and sometimes making errors than just playing passive.

I can certainly see what is going on there. Muffet this year had little option it seems to me. If you saw Arike in the 3 on 3 (or was it 5x5 ) Int'l play you saw that damn the torpedoes I'm going to make it fit charge of hers and it can be very hard to break someone of that tendency. Geno let Nurse have a blast for this in mid-season for charging in with a wide open Stewie "waiting in the wings".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was I talking to you!!! :mad: :p But, now that we are, what is your take on Geno saying a few weeks ago that if you asked Napheesa a play UConn runs she'd say Fruit Loops TuTu (or some such) and that she can drive to the hoop and rebound (and that's it). Just Geno being Geno OR true, but she is one he'll push to greatness.
Geno being Geno and probably somewhat true as well - always brings to mind Geno's imitation of Maya - I think I'm supposed to be here to set a screen, oh, no, maybe I go over here, nope, well, maybe I'm supposed to be here, darned thats wrong too, and then the ball gets passed to her and she drains an off balance jumper, and the announcers go 'that Moore, her movement without the ball is just brilliant!'

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno being Geno and probably somewhat true as well - always brings to mind Geno's imitation of Maya - I think I'm supposed to be here to set a screen, oh, no, maybe I go over here, nope, well, maybe I'm supposed to be here, darned thats wrong too, and then the ball gets passed to her and she drains an off balance jumper, and the announcers go 'that Moore, her movement without the ball is just brilliant!'

I forgot about that one. Thanks for the laugh. What really bothered me about the Genoism on Napheesa was that remained Charde's problem for her entire tenure at UConn. Such talent that never reached its potential for greatness.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Yea I botched it. What I was trying to say is that it would be hard/impossible for a Top recruit-singular to go to a school that had never won a Championship before Like Lobo did for UCONN. That would eliminate Baylor since then won before Griner. Would also eliminate A&M and Purdue because their wasn't a singular recruit-unless I remember wrong.
Might still include ND if you consider Ruth Riley. But my point was it would be hard unless the school the top recruit is going to is already at or near the top.

Purdue was pretty good back then -- like UConn and Lobo, they'd gone to one Final Four before winning their title -- but I would put Stehpanie White in the Lobo category. She won the Wade Trophy in her senior year '99 (over Holdsclaw) and won multiple national HS POY awards. She had good teammates but so did Rebecca.

I'd include Riley.

Danielle Adams at A&M doesn't count? Although, she was a JUCO transfer/recruit.

But, agreed, it is definitely difficult. But, what if Breanna had gone to Syracuse? It seems as if they could've won a title this year with her on their team and UConn w/o her.

Does one really good player at a school at that level attract more talent in the recruiting classes that follow immediately or scare talent away?

Reaction Score
The best was Maya's impersonation of Geno imitating her. "There goes the train wreck dribbling through the lane again!"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

that's part of the difference with Geno... he doesn't put up with stuff for long. Do it his way or sit, and this is why some recruits dont come to UConn. They think their way is the right way.
Ogunbowale wouldn't be doing what she may be doing, at UConn. And Geno wanted her, bad... then I recall that Twitter nonsense as well.

I like her, I hope she does well for ND.

A lot of coaches do not teach change, they settle just to keep a player happy and that messes with team chemistry.
some teams do not have replacement player to bench the knucklehead player (not calling her that)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I think that is just a function of Geno having had more/better options available to him. Just use Saniya as an example, as a Freshmen Geno didn't really need her because AA Bria could slide over and play the point, didn't really need her as a Sophomore because AA KML could slide over and play SG, and BTW Kia could replace her in the starting lineup. Same story with Gabby as a Freshmen, & Kiah Stokes for 3 years.

Reaction Score

I think it depends on the player. Geno always talks about trust, which is another way of saying that over the course of a season or career a player builds social capital with him. So, he may yell at one of the "big 3" for a bonehead play, but not yank her unless she's a serial offender, while he will pull someone else for the same mistake. For example, I remember how quickly he yanked Gabbie in the 15 NC against you guys (but gave her a pat on the back as she passed him on the bench). I bet Geno now tolerates a couple of those mistakes from Gabbie, whom he might yell out from the bench, before subbing her out. Lou was his obvious target this year: pulling her earlier in the year, yelling out from the bench and during T.O.s later in the year. But as CocoHusky says above about Saniya, but in the opposite way, Geno is going to need Lou out there all the time next year and so will adjust how he "motivates" her.

Reaction Score

HGN

Reaction Score
It looks like ND has a distinct recruiting advantage based on that list.are we able to say why that is? Is it just a preference for the school, is it just a better fit in terms of playing time/position or is it that the ND program is a little bit more up to date in how each player is handled on a personal level.....is MM as demanding a coach as Geno....are her practices as tough?

My feeling is that many of today's most talented players are not willing to squelch their egos for the benefit of the team nor are they willing to put out 110% when they know they can get by with 80%......so the question is are their enough great players out there to fortify the UConn program and if not would Geno rather take less talented players and take his chances, championships be damned!!

I don't know the answer....just asking....
Charlie , I think you are right.........................Many are not willing to compromise on their egos and selfishness. The number of recruits that Geno is willing to take is already small and getting smaller. And at this point in his career he is probably not willing to change his demands.... Heck , he has been so successful doing it his way for 31 years. Why should he change now.

Reaction Score
It's a great video. The funny thing is that these days Geno is calm, cool, and collected compared to Kim or Dawn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's a great video. The funny thing is that these days Geno is calm, cool, and collected compared to Kim or Dawn.
he is also damn near 30 yrs older than them too

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

30 years? Kim is 53; Dawn is 45. Were you trying to be hyperbolic?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If Kim is 53 and Dawn is 45 it must be my Stoors drinking that makes Geno 75 to 83. Bottoms up.

Reaction Score
Three of my daughters opted for Harvard, MIT, and Uconn---each made a terrific choice. I was impressed by the MIT efforts to work with students to make the MiT experience a pleasure for parent and student. Others of mine went to Hawaii, USC Irvine, Ca, San Diego St, Ca and West Chester (but Geno didn't visit them there)and American University in Puerto Rico
You have SEVEN daughters? Wow, and I thought my five were a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom