Walker All American | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Walker All American

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This won't be a popular opinion here and congrats to Walker, but based on performances against top teams, I would not have her as first team. My choice would have been Satou Sabally or Renia Davis. While Davis doesn't have any top wins, her performance in the games against top teams has been very good. She's just not surrounded by alot of very good players and a ton of youth.

Also, I was surprised Carter was not on the first team, especially considering all of her preseason hype.
Davis was on a team that would've barely made the NCAA tournament if at all. Davis had a great year but her team was not good. Bubble teams virtually never get AA representation. Lots of great players on crummy teams never get the hardware.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Crystal also missed a bunch of time due to injury. Remember when Molly Bent was our starting PG for a while?
Chrystal missed 2 games, Rhyne Howard missed 3 games and Chennedy Carter missed 7 games...

What else is impressive is UConn has had a 1st Team Player for 7 straight years! That means new players step up when the opportunity presents itself-Stewie, Mo, KLS, Phessa, Megan...who’s next? :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Congrats to Megan. I too am surprised that she was named 1st team. While, I felt she was a shoe in for 2nd team, I honestly thought Boston or Harris would have been on the 1st team. Perhaps the AP is planning to honor SC with their “virtual” national championship trophy.... :cool:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I find it absolutely laughable that Crystal Dangerfield (the most Consistent of all the UCONN players this year) is listed as Honorable Mention, Oh, the disrespect.. but whatever, go get yours, young lady...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What about C. Williams? Do you think she will have a bounce back year? She had a little swag her Freshman year. She seem to have loss some of that her sophomore year the limited games I saw UConn play.
IMHO Willims did not coexist on the court well with Walker. NOT saying there were any issues, but often times, Megan would have a good game and Christyn would have a sub par game. I think next year, if we look at starters of potentially Paige, Christyn, Evina, Anna and Olivia, Christyn will be the leading scorer many games with Evina up there as well.

I would not be surprised to see both Christyn and Evina on 1st or 2nd team AA and Olivia and Paige on 2nd or 3rd team AA - but I realize that's an awful lot of "UCONN", and ultimately unlikely...

Reaction Score
didn't see this posted

to tell you the truth I have mixed feeling about seeing her name on the wall
I understand and feel what you are saying, its like saying OK but the ultimate commitment wasn't there. Uconn Women and Women's College Basketball is not used to this phenomenon. I'm not sure we know the "back story" and I am sure there is one. I'm sad that she is not going to be with us next year, but I hope she ultimately gets her degree.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Megan, Olivia and Crystal. I think people are way to harsh concerning Walker. I am disappointed for Crystal. I think many things affected her chances to make the team. IMHO Crystal’s role changed as the team evolved and her numbers reflected this. More scoring and fewer assists. Unfortunately if voters thought of her as a point guard the assist numbers look pedestrian for an AA team. But if you looked at her value to the team, particularly at the end of the season, you would have to give her higher consideration.

Over the years posters have lamented certain players not making the wall. if Crystal does not make first team WBCA then I would put her at the top of my list for players I feel should be on the wall that are not.

As for Megan - I think comments about her not leading the team to a national championship are disingenuous. Her first two years she was a supporting player and this year she did not have the opportunity. Given how the team was playing at seasons end, I think the post season would have been very exciting. Who knows how it would have turned out.

Reaction Score
A lot of good points made here on all sides.

Megan did an outstanding job and accomplished a great achievement. I wish her well. We don't know what she would have done in the big dance, but I suspect we would have seen her get her stride and then (who knows?) maybe she would have done some things that would have figured into our estimation of her greatness and made a comparison to past greats easier.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What else is impressive is UConn has had a 1st Team Player for 7 straight years! That means new players step up when the opportunity presents itself-Stewie, Mo, KLS, Phessa, Megan...who’s next? :rolleyes:

1584647694956.png

Reaction Score
IMHO Willims did not coexist on the court well with Walker. NOT saying there were any issues, but often times, Megan would have a good game and Christyn would have a sub par game. I think next year, if we look at starters of potentially Paige, Christyn, Evina, Anna and Olivia, Christyn will be the leading scorer many games with Evina up there as well.

I would not be surprised to see both Christyn and Evina on 1st or 2nd team AA and Olivia and Paige on 2nd or 3rd team AA - but I realize that's an awful lot of "UCONN", and ultimately unlikely...
Anna is going to be a huge star.

Reaction Score
Congrats to UCONN players on either list! An extra congrats to Megan. Honestly if I were her I would’ve transferred after my freshman season the way some of you “so-called fans” dogged her. Get over it..she will be on the wall because she earned it! I tell you haters come in all forms; that includes “fans”. Once again, congrats ladies! Go UCONN
Yes. Sad to read all the negative comments. She is such a talented Young lady. Megan will do great on next level . She was playing out of position.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s harsh to state your opinion. However, I do however, think you do yourself a disservice by being biased and dishonest. Having an opinion that another player from another team was better doesn’t mean you discredit what a player from your team has done.

Reaction Score
Harris should've been 1st team IMO, or at worst 2nd team. Congrats to all though.

I would have liked second team

I don't think Chennedy Carter should have made a team based on how many games she missed. But she's a talent.

Reaction Score
Ok why do I have mixed feelings. . .

I don't know what "mixed feelings" means and why it has to be "so mixed." We were the 5th best team in the country at the end regardless of where they might have sent us. Overall, I never agreed with what I feel an exaggeration of who played well in "big" games.

We were the 5th best team in the country - and Meg was a star. I don't agree with anyone who can't appreciate that. This team had a chance to go to the Final Four. We're supposed to have "mixed feelings" because we lost 3 games to a better team at the time? The whole season is defined by 3 games and all the others don't count? If only those 3 games count what was the point of watching any other game and in some games getting frustrated if they didn't play well?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m quite glad Meg made 1st Team All American. She deserves it and to all you naysayers that have mixed feelings, well, get over it.......she deserves it. You wouldn’t have mixed feelings if she stayed for her senior year. You’d be over the moon!
Congrats MW, you deserve it.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Megan needs to be on the WBCA All American Team to be on the Wall of Honor. The AP All American Team does not qualify Megan for the Wall of Honor.

didn't see this posted

to tell you the truth I have mixed feeling about seeing her name on the wall

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Megan needs to be on the WBCA All American Team to be on the Wall of Honor. The AP All American Team does not qualify Megan for the Wall of Honor.
The criteria to be on the wall is whatever Geno decides. I.E. CD. In addition, I don’t know of a single player that was named to the 5-player, 1st team AP AA team that was not also named to the 10-player, 1st team WBCA AA team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure sounds like your judging her. She had a great year. As for those three games, she didn’t have a lot of help this year like players in the past. Maybe the pressure to do it all got to her because they were big games... who knows. She is allowed to have some games where she struggles. It’s basketball. As for her leaving early..... I was looking forward to her dominating all comers next year, but she gets to accomplish her dream. Can’t be mad at that. I enjoyed watching her process and will continue to follow her. Really happy she made first team and deserves to be on the wall.
While opinions vary regarding the cause of Meg's lower than normal performance these 3 games, I view it as relatively straightforward. With no reason to guard Kyla, Meg got hit with both the top team's defender plus a double from Kyla's. If we had played these teams again, Anna would have taken pressure off, but in these games we needed points and had few options to help Meg.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom