Walker All American | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Walker All American

Reaction Score
IMHO Willims did not coexist on the court well with Walker. NOT saying there were any issues, but often times, Megan would have a good game and Christyn would have a sub par game. I think next year, if we look at starters of potentially Paige, Christyn, Evina, Anna and Olivia, Christyn will be the leading scorer many games with Evina up there as well.

I would not be surprised to see both Christyn and Evina on 1st or 2nd team AA and Olivia and Paige on 2nd or 3rd team AA - but I realize that's an awful lot of "UCONN", and ultimately unlikely...
With Paige and Anna leading more cutting and movement next year, likely can have a more aggressive, flexible offense. Deeper in all positions. Suspect with more experience from high IQ players, defense will also be strong. Would have loved Meg on team, but doubt many teams will want to play UConn.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Geno bar Diana from coming back to practice on campus until she finished her degree? I wonder if the same policy might apply to making it to the Wall.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Megan needs to be on the WBCA All American Team to be on the Wall of Honor. The AP All American Team does not qualify Megan for the Wall of Honor.
The AP list is more selective in that it has only 5 players. At least with regard to Huskies, I don't think we've ever has a player who made AP All-American first team and failed to make WBCA All-American first team. I'd be stunned if Meg doesn't make the WBCA list. I think she'll be on the wall regardless.

Reaction Score
most impressive to me was Megan's 3-point shooting. 45%, 8th in the country, is just very good, no matter what kind of defenders she was dealing with. oh yeh, I just loved how aggressive she was on the boards, really using her strength and determination to get the ball. I can't think of another UConn player who improved her overall game so dramatically from one season to the next. Geno was certainly impressed with her hard work, and that's probably most of the reason for the change in her game. gotta respect that. don't know why some here don't seem to.

Reaction Score
didn't see this posted

to tell you the truth I have mixed feeling about seeing her name on the wall

Before Megan could get going in a game, Crystal held things together. That
Danger was ignored in the All American teams is the real crime here.

Reaction Score
Meg was awesome this year. I just wish I could've seen her for another year wearing a husky uniform. I do believe she deserves to be on the Wall. At the same time, I think Geno will figure out how to maximize next year's roster. I have a suspicious feeling that he will let the freshman loose a bit more than he usually does and probably look to Aubrey to do more work at the 4, next to ONO.

Reaction Score
most impressive to me was Megan's 3-point shooting. 45%, 8th in the country, is just very good, no matter what kind of defenders she was dealing with. oh yeh, I just loved how aggressive she was on the boards, really using her strength and determination to get the ball. I can't think of another UConn player who improved her overall game so dramatically from one season to the next. Geno was certainly impressed with her hard work, and that's probably most of the reason for the change in her game. gotta respect that. don't know why some here don't seem to.
I think everyone here respects the amount of work that Meg put into her game and into transforming her body. It certainly was evident in her play this year. The decision to not return to UCONN was another matter but that is past tense now and the key is next year. We have all said this before but it bears repeating- it's not just Paige. If you look at film of Evina and Nika as guards and the other 3 freshmen recruits you have to be excited. I expect that the same defense and corresponding offense with increased movement will be implemented by Geno from Day 1. The recent interview with Geno was most telling in which he talked about what we were discussing here and that was the search by this past team in finding their own identity which they did towards the end of the season. For me, it was pure joy to watch when it happened.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Megan needs to be on the WBCA All American Team to be on the Wall of Honor. The AP All American Team does not qualify Megan for the Wall of Honor.
I do not think that is correct. Both qualify for the wall. In fact, as noted, being on the AP Team is more prestigious as it is only 5 team members. You might want to use the BTY search for checking your stance-upper right corner "Search"...;)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Didn’t Geno bar Diana from coming back to practice on campus until she finished her degree? I wonder if the same policy might apply to making it to the Wall.

The same thought occurred to me. Is there anyone (athlete) on the wall (outside of AHC CD) who is not a Uconn graduate?
This is just a question. Don't misinterpret this as a slam against Megan. She is a hard working, talented performer who gave us her best. Her reasons for leaving are her own.

Reaction Score
What about C. Williams? Do you think she will have a bounce back year? She had a little swag her Freshman year. She seem to have loss some of that her sophomore year the limited games I saw UConn play.
I had done some criticizing of C. Williams during the season as a big disappoingment but she really had seemed to turn it on in the last part season with some really nice shooting performances. What was the difference? I'm not sure but if she were to sustain that, she would really be a big asset to this team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The same thought occurred to me. Is there anyone (athlete) on the wall (outside of AHC CD) who is not a Uconn graduate?
This is just a question. Don't misinterpret this as a slam against Megan. She is a hard working, talented performer who gave us her best. Her reasons for leaving are her own.
By the same token, underclassmen have been named AA and their banners were put up on the HOH before they graduated. So I don’t really see a justification for Geno to hold up Megan’s banner until she graduates. It would be nice if Megan can make it back to Storrs at the start of next season for the ceremony.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
By the same token, underclassmen have been named AA and their banners were put up on the HOH before they graduated. So I don’t really see a justification for Geno to hold up Megan’s banner until she graduates. It would be nice if Megan can make it back to Storrs at the start of next season for the ceremony.
Thanks, @oldude, did not know that.

Reaction Score
I do not think that is correct. Both qualify for the wall. In fact, as noted, being on the AP Team is more prestigious as it is only 5 team members. You might want to use the BTY search for checking your stance-upper right corner "Search"...;)
good advice ..... Huskies wait to see if honors come Tuck's way

"There is one way for a University of Connecticut women's basketball player to be inducted into the Huskies of Honor and that's by being named to the Women's Basketball Coaches Association All-America team.

That's been coach Geno Auriemma's rule since the honors program started in 2006."

Reaction Score
The AP list is more selective in that it has only 5 players. At least with regard to Huskies, I don't think we've ever has a player who made AP All-American first team and failed to make WBCA All-American first team. I'd be stunned if Meg doesn't make the WBCA list. I think she'll be on the wall regardless.

Since the inception of the WOMEN’S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST for 1994-95 season there have 125 players named 1st Team and perhaps surprisingly 7 of those players weren't also named WBCA All-Americans the same season.

Year Player
1995-96 Kara Wolters
1995-96 Latasha Byears
1998-99 Dominique Canty
1999-00 Ruth Riley
2010-11 Jeanette Pohlen
2015-16 Rachel Banham
2016-17 Brionna Jones

Note: Kara Wolters only UConn player listed achieved WBCA the following season.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Since the inception of the WOMEN’S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST for 1994-95 season there have 125 players named and perhaps surprisingly 7 of those players weren't been named WBCA All-American the same season.

Year Player
1995-96 Kara Wolters
1995-96 Latasha Byears
1998-99 Dominique Canty
1999-00 Ruth Riley
2010-11 Jeanette Pohlen
2015-16 Rachel Banham
2016-17 Brionna Jones

Note: Kara Wolters only UConn player achieved WBCA the following season.
Thanks for the hard data. I believe Riley likely was on every list in 2001.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The 10 member WBCA team has always been used as a designation as to whom gets on the wall. Kerry Bascom, Swin Cash, Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Morgan Tuck and Gabby Williams never made the AP first team, but they all made at least one WBCA All-American team.

so gabby is going up?

that’s a relief. I was peeved when these clown car idiot voters sandbagged her in her junior year when she probably should’ve won NPOY and yet could t even get first team? It was laughable.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jefferson and Stewart knew they would be entering the Huskies of Honor since they attained the criteria of being a member of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association All-American team.

Reaction Score
so gabby is going up?
I guess you missed it. Gabby is on the wall where she deserves to be. Her banner is unveiled at about the 10 minute mark of this video from Senior Night 2018.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I guess you missed it. Gabby is on the wall where she deserves to be. Her banner is unveiled at about the 10 minute mark of this video from Senior Night 2018.

damn! How did I miss that?

Reaction Score
If Megan meets the criteria set by UCONN then she deserves to be on the wall, no question. She worked hard and had a really good year. Congrats to her.
However, we all know there are “mixed feelings” surrounding her that has been well detailed on this post. Two things can both be true at the same time. She was an heck of a player for UCONN this past year and at the same time left others underwhelmed and/or disappointed at times this year.

Reaction Score
I for one yes would have loved her to stay another year year. She truly improved her game incredibly. We’ll never know what happened behind closed doors, so just let go any negative feelings. She deserves to be on the wall and as sad I’m see her go ........ I just love her and want her to succeed BIG Time! Be positive please.

Reaction Score
Since the inception of the WOMEN’S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST for 1994-95 season there have been 125 players named 1st Team and perhaps surprisingly 7 of those players weren't also named WBCA All-Americans the same season.

Year Player
1995-96 Kara Wolters
1995-96 Latasha Byears
1998-99 Dominique Canty
1999-00 Ruth Riley
2010-11 Jeanette Pohlen
2015-16 Rachel Banham
2016-17 Brionna Jones

Note: Kara Wolters only UConn player listed achieved WBCA the following season.

Updated for this season.

Since the inception of the WOMEN’S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST for 1994-95 season there have been 130 players named 1st Team and perhaps surprisingly 8 of those players weren't also named WBCA All-Americans the same season.

Year Player
1995-96 Kara Wolters
1995-96 Latasha Byears
1998-99 Dominique Canty
1999-00 Ruth Riley
2010-11 Jeanette Pohlen
2015-16 Rachel Banham
2016-17 Brionna Jones
2019-20 Rhyne Howard

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Updated for this season.

Since the inception of the WOMEN’S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST for 1994-95 season there have 130 players named 1st Team and perhaps surprisingly 8 of those players weren't also named WBCA All-Americans the same season.

Year Player
1995-96 Kara Wolters
1995-96 Latasha Byears
1998-99 Dominique Canty
1999-00 Ruth Riley
2010-11 Jeanette Pohlen
2015-16 Rachel Banham
2016-17 Brionna Jones
2019-20 Rhyne Howard
I noted the absence of Howard. I’m sure all the other players on this year’s WBCA team are very good, but Howard’s absence is difficult to understand.

Reaction Score
I noted the absence of Howard. I’m sure all the other players on this year’s WBCA team are very good, but Howard’s absence is difficult to understand.
It is surprising they didn't have the SEC POY, but they do have 3rd team AA Tyasha Harris from the SEC & SC to replace her. The only other 3rd team AA to make it was Iowa's Doyle who was the Big 10 POY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom