Walker All American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Walker All American

Reaction Score
Congrats to UCONN players on either list! An extra congrats to Megan. Honestly if I were her I would’ve transferred after my freshman season the way some of you “so-called fans” dogged her. Get over it..she will be on the wall because she earned it! I tell you haters come in all forms; that includes “fans”. Once again, congrats ladies! Go UCONN

Reaction Score
Ok why do I have mixed feelings. . .

Well, as another poster has already mentioned it's kind of a stats thing. . . In arguably our 3 biggest games of the season how did her stats look?
View attachment 52130
13/47 shooting -27.6%
9 assists
7 TO

Then there is the disappointment of her leaving - she may have great reasons to leave. Not my place to judge. I think those banners should be for players who contributed for 4 years.
Sure sounds like your judging her. She had a great year. As for those three games, she didn’t have a lot of help this year like players in the past. Maybe the pressure to do it all got to her because they were big games... who knows. She is allowed to have some games where she struggles. It’s basketball. As for her leaving early..... I was looking forward to her dominating all comers next year, but she gets to accomplish her dream. Can’t be mad at that. I enjoyed watching her process and will continue to follow her. Really happy she made first team and deserves to be on the wall.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Congrats to Megan. She has earned the honor and has earned her name and number up on the wall.

The criteria is very simple - your name and number go up on the wall if you make 1st team All-American. Her deciding to forgo her senior year has nothing to do with it. And based on some of the posts, its a good thing Geno set it up this way. It eliminates the subjective voter/ fan.

Also congrats to Crystal and Liv.

Reaction Score
I am surprised DT did not earn first-team honors at least three times.
In her sophomore year in 2001-2002, the seniors on DT's team were Swin Cash, Sue Bird, Ashley Battle, Tamika Williams and Asjha Jones. Pretty tough to be All American with that group! Many consider this to be the greatest women's team of All Time. Certainly the greatest backcourt.

Reaction Score
“Meg put in a lot of work before and during the season to elevate her game. She transformed herself into being one of our go-tos on the court,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “Megan had an incredible season and this honor is a testament to her hard work.”

Reaction Score
Congrats MEGAN, OLIVIA, and CRYSTAL! These honors were earned and I’m proud to see Megan’s name on the wall! These young woman sacrifice so much for the game of basketball and put in the work. These are student athletes who do so much more outside of just the gym.

I’m sad that Crystal will probably miss out on the other first team all-American lists. But Husky Nation will always love and cherish her along with every player who has been a part of our big family.

Ps. Another big shout out and thanks to all of our seniors (and Megan) who will be starting new adventures this fall: Crystal, Kyla, Batouly, Evelyn, Megan, and Molly! You will all be greatly missed and I wish you all success!

“In a world where you can be anything...be KIND”

Reaction Score
In her sophomore year in 2001-2002, the seniors on DT's team were Swin Cash, Sue Bird, Ashley Battle, Tamika Williams and Asjha Jones. Pretty tough to be All American with that group! Many consider this to be the greatest women's team of All Time. Certainly the greatest backcourt.
Ashley Battle was not a senior on that team and she would never be anywhere near better than DT no matter what class she was in.

Reaction Score
Sure sounds like your judging her. She had a great year. As for those three games, she didn’t have a lot of help this year like players in the past. Maybe the pressure to do it all got to her because they were big games... who knows. She is allowed to have some games where she struggles. It’s basketball. As for her leaving early..... I was looking forward to her dominating all comers next year, but she gets to accomplish her dream. Can’t be mad at that. I enjoyed watching her process and will continue to follow her. Really happy she made first team and deserves to be on the wall.
Agee with you totally she worked at her game, made the first team and deserves to be on the wall.
Good luck to her in the WNBA!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Day's article

Congratulations to her. I guess she'll have her "wall ceremony" next year?

Reaction Score
Congrats to Meg! Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t pick her over Sabally. Also, Congrats to Crystal and Olivia. I would put Crystal on third team at least. I’d take Kaila Charles off and make her honorable mention. I’d move Chennedy Carter down because she just didn’t have that good of a season and was out for some time. I’m really high on NaLyssa Smith and I feel like she should be at least third team. I’d also move Ty Harris up. It’s tough to kinda remove the players that did make the teams because of what they accomplished conference wise expect C Carter and K Charles.

Reaction Score
We have been all through this before when she announced she was leaving. Believe me, I was a huge Meg fan and pulled for her all three years but like so many others my feelings changed when she announced. However, the current criteria do not require a player to stay the entirety of their eligibility. The rule was changed once to allow a WBCA designation( they name 10 players) so as to include Morgan Tuck. You simply can't and shouldn't change a rule to exclude a player especially one who received the more selective (only 5 players from the AP for first team) designation. I'm just happy that Geno requires a former player to have their degree to return to UCONN.
Ashley Battle was not a senior on that team and she would never be anywhere near better than DT no matter what class she was in.
Thank you you are correct but the others were seniors and went in the WNBA draft as follows: 1) Bird 2) Cash 4) Jones and 6) Williams. Not a bad senior class and my point was that if DT was somewhere else she may very well have been an All American first team.

Reaction Score
Ps. Another big shout out and thanks to all of our seniors (and Megan) who will be starting new adventures this fall: Crystal, Kyla, Batouly, Evelyn, Megan, and Molly! You will all be greatly missed and I wish you all success!

“In a world where you can be anything...be KIND”
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 1kind.jpg
    1kind.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 109

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“Meg put in a lot of work before and during the season to elevate her game. She transformed herself into being one of our go-tos on the court,” coach Geno Auriemma told the AP. “Megan had an incredible season and this honor is a testament to her hard work.”

Reaction Score
Crystal also missed a bunch of time due to injury. Remember when Molly Bent was our starting PG for a while?

Reaction Score
The 10 member WBCA team has always been used as a designation as to whom gets on the wall. Kerry Bascom, Swin Cash, Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Morgan Tuck and Gabby Williams never made the AP first team, but they all made at least one WBCA All-American team.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She worked hard and deserves her AA and to be on the wall. However, once again, I am not a fan of the way she played the game. To over simplify, UConn basketball offense has always been built around the extra pass. Giving up a shot for a teammate's better shot. I saw too many times when the extra pass wasn't made. She's AA and deserves the wall, but I will reserve #BleedBlue for Crystal.

Reaction Score
Congratulations Megan Walker.. Well deserved, Good Luck in your professional career.. Wishing you the best in.. Please represent the UCONN way! Don’t forget to come by from time to time to share your experience with our up and coming future recruits!

Reaction Score
The 10 member WBCA team has always been used as a designation as to whom gets on the wall. Kerry Bascom, Swin Cash, Stefanie Dolson, Bria Hartley, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Morgan Tuck and Gabby Williams never made the AP first team, but they all made at least one WBCA All-American team.
Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom