Wahab not Committing on Thursday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wahab not Committing on Thursday

Reaction Score
This kid looks like he will be a real nice player eventually, maybe even sooner. No matter if the staff isn't sure on Kofi I'd love to see them get him love the ceiling.

Reaction Score
ollie ollie ollie blah blah blah.

i've said it before and i'll say it again- i'd love to lock down wahab sooner rather than later. if not then hurley needs kofi or mitchell, or a grad transfer, i guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Precious and Kofu would be huge and I’m not an Ollie fanatic but Hamilton would be roughly in between the two in terms of ranking and being a statement get. Heck Durham and Jackson weren’t far behind Kofis ranking if not ahead of it, IIRC. Not to mention Adams and Gilbert who were both top 20 recruits IIRC. Precious is a step ahead of them all in terms of ranking but Kofi actually is behind Akok in some rankings and at least a few of the ones Ollie got. Ollie had serious flaws but he and his staff got some high ranked recruits also.
Correct. But he never got the statement commitment. Ending this clasd with Kofi and Precious would be just that

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
AKok was Danny telling the regional rivals, we’re back!

Reaction Score
Is there any reason to think that Wahab's delay has to do with waiting to see what Kofi does? Cue the winky face?
I don't think it had anything to do with us. He might be waiting on some other schools.

Reaction Score
Correct. But he never got the statement commitment. Ending this clasd with Kofi and Precious would be just that

In what way would Kofi Cockburn be a "statement commitment" that Jalen Adams or Alterique Gilbert were not? For that matter, in what way is Cockburn more of a statement commitment than Akok?

Reaction Score
In what way would Kofi Cockburn be a "statement commitment" that Jalen Adams or Alterique Gilbert were not? For that matter, in what way is Cockburn more of a statement commitment than Akok?
Cockburn would be an instant impact to help fix an obvious need. However, Precious would be a statement.

Reaction Score
I'll give you one way, we always seem to get bigtime guards even when our program is down and going through controversy. We have been a zero lately when it comes to getting big men and the ones we get are built like high school sophomores. Kofi is a beast, he will signal that we are back to getting bigs like we did back in the day.

Reaction Score
I'll give you one way, we always seem to get bigtime guards even when our program is down and going through controversy. We have been a zero lately when it comes to getting big men and the ones we get are built like high school sophomores. Kofi is a beast, he will signal that we are back to getting bigs like we did back in the day.

Bingo.

Under KO, who was the best big-man recruit we brought in? Durham? And he was damaged goods who rarely played and then bailed.

Reaction Score
Kofi alone isn’t the statement. Kofi and precious added to the class that we have is the statement. That’s a top 2 class in the country imo. Also all of the recruits listed by the poster above we guards. Bringing in basically 3 5* bigs in Kofi, Akok, and Precious is huge in the national perspective. We’ve never had trouble getting guards. But being in the convo for elite bigs again is something we’ve haven’t had in over a decade(sans Drummond)

Reaction Score
Cockburn is much more prepared to make an impact from day 1 IMO. Akok’s ceiling is crazy high though.

They’re both “statement” commits in my eyes.

Reaction Score
Precious and Kofu would be huge and I’m not an Ollie fanatic but Hamilton would be roughly in between the two in terms of ranking and being a statement get. Heck Durham and Jackson weren’t far behind Kofis ranking if not ahead of it, IIRC. Not to mention Adams and Gilbert who were both top 20 recruits IIRC. Precious is a step ahead of them all in terms of ranking but Kofi actually is behind Akok in some rankings and at least a few of the ones Ollie got. Ollie had serious flaws but he and his staff got some high ranked recruits also.

You don't get it. We don't like him so absolutely everything he did well while here is supposed to be minimized, explained or forgotten.

Reaction Score
You don't get it. We don't like him so absolutely everything he did well while here is supposed to be minimized, explained or forgotten.
No one was criticizing KO here. Anytime his name is mentioned posters like you get all sensitive lol. Saying Ollie never got that statement commitment after the title isn’t knocking him. It’s a factual observation. It’s ok, his feelings aren’t hurt

Reaction Score
No one was criticizing KO here.

impossible to tell if @businesslawyer was being sarcastic or not....but either way i'm apathetic. as i said before, ollie ollie ollie blah blah blah.

Kofi is the priority, not Wahab.

understood. all things equal everyone would rather get kofi (and probably mitchell) instead of wahab. I'm just risk averse. if i were hurley i'd lock down whichever of the 3 bigs i could, as soon as i could, and then put all my effort into precious and a grad transfer.

this strategy won't land the top recruiting class in the country but i'm very happy in the top 10.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
impossible to tell if @businesslawyer was being sarcastic or not....but either way i'm apathetic. as i said before, ollie ollie ollie blah blah blah.

understood. all things equal everyone would rather get kofi (and probably mitchell) instead of wahab. I'm just risk averse. if i were hurley i'd lock down whichever of the 3 bigs i could, as soon as i could, and then put all my effort into precious and a grad transfer.

this strategy won't land the top recruiting class in the country but i'm very happy in the top 10.

No, I was not being sarcastic. In terms of the last two years sucking, KO's recruiting skills sucking was way, way, way down the list of what caused it. Injuries caused it. Inability to keep players in the program caused it. Bad player development caused it. Bad coaching caused it. And, some just plain bad luck in recruiting (like the Brown and Diallo stories) caused it. But the inability to attract good players here in the first place -- like Jalen Adams, Daniel Hamilton, Durham, Gilbert, etc. -- was way, way, way down the list.

But my statement was true -- one can't just say KO didn't do a good enough job -- one has to be willing to say that each and every skill he brought to the table sucked -- to avoid controversy.

Reaction Score
My complaints about Ollie's recruiting was that he signed too many guys, specifically bigs, that were just not able to compete or produce at this level. He also always left us shorthanded in the backcourt as far as numbers go. We never had enough guards.

Reaction Score
My complaint with Ollie was that he was a very, very, very bad college basketball coach.

Reaction Score
Cockburn is much more prepared to make an impact from day 1 IMO. Akok’s ceiling is crazy high though.

They’re both “statement” commits in my eyes.

For us to bounce right back with ostensibly a top-10 class a year removed from transfer mania and the first losing school in a million years for us - i'd say that's a pretty big statement.

Achiuwa is a stud obviously, but i'd be pretty thrilled with Cockburn and Akok.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Interesting in his weekly podcast DH alluded to almost demanding an understanding of where the staff stands with recruits on an ongoing basis. He’s going to lose some but it shouldn’t be as shocking to this staff when to cut bait vs gamble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom