Vol's press predicts UConn...Next Year | The Boneyard

Vol's press predicts UConn...Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ha! Gotta love the comments by angry readers under the article. They read it, then tell Adam's it's a waste of space. And most can't spell.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ha! Gotta love the comments by angry readers under the article. They read it, then tell Adam's it's a waste of space. And most can't spell.
Yes, gotta love those comments as the Vol fans try to educate each other on how to read and the most angry fan admits to not having even read the article that they are spitting at. And you can almost smell the gaseous sensations that one commentator tries to evoke.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Lets see the Gatorade player of the year Russell. Graves, Harrison. Not to mention Tucker, Carter back in lineup. Looks like Adams don't know talent but nothing new here.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Lets see the Gatorade player of the year Russell. Graves, Harrison. Not to mention Tucker, Carter back in lineup. Looks like Adams don't know talent but nothing new here.

Good additions. But you still have Simmons, who seems to detract more than add to a team. And Massengale, who has no lived up to her high HS ranking. And you lose two leaders and the leading scorers in the post season for TN. Hard to think that can be so easily made up.

Adams just tells the truth and Lady Vol fans don't like it.

Reaction Score
You heard it here...Lady Vol's don't have the talent to threaten UConn in 13-14

And even if the Lady Vols don’t make it, their fans could at least have a chance to pull against a Connecticut program going for a ninth national championship.
Jon Adams...Go Vols Xtra

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/apr/08/john-adams-uconn-one-big-victory-shy-of-lady/
As a Uconn fan I think TN should be a top 10 maybe even top 5 team next year. They have great size and should have a deep bench. The backcourt play will determine how far they go. The SEC isn't great so they will pile up many wins.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As a Uconn fan I think TN should be a top 10 maybe even top 5 team next year. They have great size and should have a deep bench. The backcourt play will determine how far they go. The SEC isn't great so they will pile up many wins.
I tend to agree. there was a thread by Alex the other day talking about next season and who should be in the top 10 etc. I think I put Tennessee about 7 or 8 preseason. Doggy got it right - Tennessee loses their 2 best players from the post season. However, Tennessee does add a lot including an injured guard (Carter) back on the roster. But post players take time to develop and Russell was never as dominant in high school or on the national teams as Stewie or KML were. I think Tennessee is a legit top 10 team. I think Graves is a future star there. The rest of the team should be solid at every position. I just think they aren't good enough to make the final 4.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good additions. But you still have Simmons, who seems to detract more than add to a team. And Massengale, who has no lived up to her high HS ranking. And you lose two leaders and the leading scorers in the post season for TN. Hard to think that can be so easily made up.

Adams just tells the truth and Lady Vol fans don't like it.
I think this article is better. http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013...fseason-with-urgency/?preventMobileRedirect=1
Having Carter back does one more thing it creates competition. Massengale has improved in two years. The one thing is sometimes she don't shoot enough.

Reaction Score
You heard it here...Lady Vol's don't have the talent to threaten UConn in 13-14

And even if the Lady Vols don’t make it, their fans could at least have a chance to pull against a Connecticut program going for a ninth national championship.
Jon Adams...Go Vols Xtra

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/apr/08/john-adams-uconn-one-big-victory-shy-of-lady/
I agree with most of what he wrote in his article (from a Tennessee Vol perspective) but he was wrong in that the Vols haven't rooted against UConn for more than 20 years. Twenty years ago was 1993 and I don't think too many Vol fans knew anything about the UConn Huskies at that time. We weren't even a blip on their radar and the "more than 20 years", would suggest 1991 when we made a little bit of a run to the Final Four. They may have not loved us then but they didn't feel the need to HATE us.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with most of what he wrote in his article (from a Tennessee Vol perspective) but he was wrong in that the Vols haven't rooted against UConn for more than 20 years. Twenty years ago was 1993 and I don't think too many Vol fans knew anything about the UConn Huskies at that time. We weren't even a blip on their radar and the "more than 20 years", would suggest 1991 when we made a little bit of a run to the Final Four. They may have not loved us then but they didn't feel the need to HATE us.
You are probably right but UCONN was on the national scene in 1991 as they made the final 4 that year. It's not like UCONN literally came from nowhere to win their first NC in 1995... Still, as you said, not sure when the hatred for UCONN started from the Tennessee perspective.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
All this because Geno may vault past Pat's record of 8 national championships. I thought TN was interested in advancing women's college basketball. That is usually done by encouraging the advancement of the sport. UConn is currently the rabbit that programs will be chasing...hence UConn is elevating women's college basketball. C'mon swain get with the program. It is about the sport not TN vs UConn. That match-up is ancient news and most have moved beyond that. After all what do you expect from a program that hasn't made a final four in 6 years. I can remember when UConn had a final four drought there were greatly exaggerated reports all over Knoxville of the demise of the UConn program. I with Eric on this one...TN will be elevating their stock with the return of Carter and the coming of Russel. Graves will be the star... Simmons is a liability at times. Massengale is talented and Carter should push her to another level. But, will they be a final four team or a championship team...that remains to be seen...we saw what happened to Baylor...who thought that Griner wouldn't get her second championship?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You clearly haven't spent much time perusing the Summitt (nor should you unlees you're a masochist). Anything from the Northeast quadrant of the country has links to that pitchfork wielding guy who lives down below, and that feeling has been around since long before the first peach basket was nailed up for short jumpers. The word "Yankee" is an anathema, and it isn't because they're Red Sox fans.

Reaction Score
You clearly haven't spent much time perusing the Summitt (nor should you unlees you're a masochist). Anything from the Northeast quadrant of the country has links to that pitchfork wielding guy who lives down below, and that feeling has been around since long before the first peach basket was nailed up for short jumpers. The word "Yankee" is an anathema, and it isn't because they're Red Sox fans.
I don't claim that prior to 1991 they would have rooted for UConn when a Tennessee team wasn't involved but their UConn is "evil incarnate" viewpoint is somewhat newer, probably right after we won our first title in 1995 as an unbeaten national champ and became the media's darling! Blame a lot of it on Rebecca Lobo and the press that she got not only for her contributions on the court but her Mom's gallant fight with breast cancer. It drew a massive amount of attention that should only go towards the Tennessee Vols and Pat Summit in their little universe. The newcomer taking it to the Vols and not showing the reverence due to them. Shame on us.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
After all what do you expect from a program that hasn't made a final four in 6 years. I can remember when UConn had a final four drought there were greatly exaggerated reports all over Knoxville of the demise of the UConn program.
And all three UConn droughts after 1991 were half of UTenn's current 6-year stretch, so the current FF-less streak at a time when more programs are getting elevated brings in extra anxieties. There's just too many teams besides UConn to get insecure about now.

Reaction Score
I peruse the Summitt and Adams is considered a Union spy and provocateur

Reaction Score
I think this article is better. http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013...fseason-with-urgency/?preventMobileRedirect=1
Having Carter back does one more thing it creates competition. Massengale has improved in two years. The one thing is sometimes she don't shoot enough.
Played 15, 10, 6 and 5 seed to get to FF this year and couldn't do it. Couldn't ask for tournament to break any better, then would have played a very mediocre Cal team. 5 years of no FF and counting. Uconn better enjoy this run (assuming there is one to continue) 'cause Tenn proves when you stop getting the Maya's, KML's, Stewarts winning it all gets very hard as you are one of 15 good teams rather than the team to beat and you don't have the star to win the game where other team out plays you. If Baylor can lose to LV, there are no sure FF teams.
Competition helps if coach handles correctly, how do you think senior and junior starting backcourt would take having some serious minute reduction.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Played 15, 10, 6 and 5 seed to get to FF this year and couldn't do it. Couldn't ask for tournament to break any better, then would have played a very mediocre Cal team. 5 years of no FF and counting. Uconn better enjoy this run (assuming there is one to continue) 'cause Tenn proves when you stop getting the Maya's, KML's, Stewarts winning it all gets very hard as you are one of 15 good teams rather than the team to beat and you don't have the star to win the game where other team out plays you. If Baylor can lose to LV, there are no sure FF teams.
Competition helps if coach handles correctly, how do you think senior and junior starting backcourt would take having some serious minute reduction.
I think the rotation will depend on the opponent. Right now I'd say starting lineup would be Massengale, Simmons, Graves, Harrison, Russell. Russell maybe the best player for Tennessee since Parker.

Reaction Score
The VOLS will be awful tough for many years to come........Holly will find her own way to build them back into National players again......Hey, they looked good this year........

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
How bout this if you wanna dream UConn defeats Tenn for their 9th NC in 2014

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How bout this if you wanna dream UConn defeats Tenn for their 9th NC in 2014
The final four in Nashville or music city. I plan on going to see a final four. I think Tennessee has a great shot at being there.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
You can't buy this kind of comedy on pay-per-view. My favorite post is the one that claims that the reason Maya was a Husky was because Pat was divorced (then again, who knows).

I respect Coach Auriemma's record at UCONN. However, he has been the recipient of some lucky breaks to win 7 NCs. Maya Moore played for him because Pat Summitt was a divorced woman. UCONN defeated Stanford 3 years ago for the NC because Stanford's best player, Janet Appel, was injured. If he wins tonight, and he probably will, it is because Kim Mulkey allowed Louisville to score 82 points on her defense. This should not have happen with Brittney Griner, Odyssey Sims and Brooklyn Pope on her team. Louisville will not score 82 points on UCONN and UCONN could not have defeated Baylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom