Vital to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Vital to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't turn into a Trevor Cooney. Inconsistent shooter with no handle.

Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't turn into a Trevor Cooney. Inconsistent shooter with no handle.
I felt Cooney had a decent handle for a 2 guard. He was a little slow but seemed to be able to get to the basket. Now as far as inconsistent shooter I agree. Though as the poster above me says I will take the upside in TC in a heartbeat though I prefer better D.

Reaction Score
Albert Mouring, if you want to go for a "best case" comp. More of a pure guard rather than a wing, and a better ball-handler & defender.

Like this comparison and works for me in a big way. Need players like Albert more than people care to admit. And as you said he seems to have a better handle so he can play the PG as a bandaid if need be. Less inventory required, he has good value.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Like this comparison and works for me in a big way. Need players like Albert more than people care to admit. And as you said he seems to have a better handle so he can play the PG as a bandaid if need be. Less inventory required, he has good value.
Yeah, it's a half-decent comp. Needs to be said that Albert was a better athlete, and slightly bigger. Dude put on a show during the first night slam dunk competition in '98 or '99 - I forget which.

I don't think Vital will end up doing that. But he can hopefully fill the same role with something close to the same efficiency.

caw

Reaction Score
His ranking is somewhere in the 150-250 range. IMO, individual rankings fall apart quite a bit after the top 25, further after the top 75 especially without knowing what they are ranking players by at that point.

For Vital, I think it's more telling he was signed with a decent program in UNLV and after decommitting had visits to schools coached by Ollie and Pitino with serious interest from Iowa. This isn't a kid who signed with Central or Maine. Of course he is also a spring signing, so maybe interest from UL should be taken with a grain of salt but he was probably one of the top players available for what UConn needed. Best case he is a better shooting, less athletic Russ Smith. Worst case he is a more athletic Scottie Haralson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From Bossi on Rivals:

I definitely think Vital can help. More of a two than a one to me, but creates shots off the bounce, good athlete and can heat up from deep. Legitimately good late pickup and not a reach at all.

Reaction Score
I am still a bit of a rankings whore but way less so than 10-15 years ago. This kid was so important for a variety of reasons and the ranking doesn't do him justice and especially for our needs:

1) Most important, the best gurus like the new guy at HoopSeen talk about his competitiveness, will to win and tenacity. Something sorely lacking last year from elements of team (not an attack on anyone).
2) If Rique's shoulder flares up or Jalen misses time, we are back to 2005-06 1 ballhandler on the team and that is never good!
3) Someone will need to be the defensive stopper when Purvis leaves (who is a great one) and I think this kid fits the bill.
4) Did I mention competitiveness rubbing off on the team??? :)
5) Could be another reliable outside shooter to spot up from Rique and Jalen
6) Seems to be a high character kid can never have enough of them!
7) One year to learn under Purvis - who I think will be an amazing senior and pass on the traits needed for success, having had a tumultuous few years that culminated in strong junior and I trust an even stronger senior year.
8) Maybe he pushes Enoch (his buddy), who is already driven, to become the amazing player he can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom