Vital still deserves to start? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vital still deserves to start?

Reaction Score
Vital wasn't held accountable/coached well the last 2 years and I think that has stunted his growth as a player. Bad habits are hard to break. But he does bring it every game so he'll play and hopefully learn to break those bad habits on the fly.

This is so true. Last year, he was allowed to basically do whatever he wanted without any consequences. Hell, he even got into two fights in the handshake line/ pregame warm-ups. Hurley yanked him a couple of times tonight, One time, he sent Tarin Smith to the scorer's table after a ridiculous Vital pass on offense but then pulled him back when Vital made a tremendous defensive play. 10 rebounds in 25 minutes is impressive. Vital is pressing a bit. He won't last as a member of the starting five if it continues. Hurley strikes me as someone who plays the kids that give him the best chance to win. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I say that we will live and die by CV *at times* this year I mean that he will explode and score 20+ and keep us in some games, and/or shoot us out of games this year
I don't really think Hurley will allow it, if he can't clean up the mental part of the game and contnues to be a gunner disrutping the flow of the offense Hurley will reel him in. I think Vital will adjust.

Reaction Score
I guess my take would be that Vital isn't a very good player but he's got a great motor and Hurley likes guys with motors. You can lose with worse players.

It's also important to be real in what this year is about - and that's getting the players we have better, recruiting much better talent into the program and creating culture and energy within the program. Winning is always important, but this year 'winning' is making messages stick. Vital has a terrible basketball IQ, but never saw a ball he didn't want to dive for, obviously cares, brings (sometimes too much) lots of energy, etc.

Guys like Gilbert and Adams are super talented players, but it takes them a little while to plug into games. They're not 'motor' guys. Not a criticism as much as it's just their demeanor. Having guys like Vital in the lineup around guys like that... there's a message to be read there, especially early in the season.

I think VItal will play himself out of a lot of playing time as the season goes on - but there's a reason he's playing a lot right now and one i'm fine with.

Reaction Score
i have no problem with CV starting as long as Hurley has him on a short lease in the big games that matter.

Reaction Score
CV also had 5 to's and many of his bricks resulted in points for the other team. If Sid comes back firing on all cylinders, Hurley would be forced to sit CV if he is still struggling to score.

Reaction Score
Vital is the type of guy that will hit 4 big 3's against Cuse the minute everyone gets down on him. As soon as you want his minutes reduced, hes nails in a big spot and he has balls of steele and we all love him. Then he will be inefficient again for 3 games and we will wonder why he warrants all the minutes hes getting.

Reaction Score
I don't think he needs to come off of the bench yet. However, I think against cuse Hurley needs to have a shorter leash on him. He hustles, plays defense and rebounds. I'm ok with the occasional bonehead play because he can make up for it with hustle, but when he is shooting non stop and missing.. gotta put him on the bench quicker than what we saw last night imo.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If Vital is grabbing 8-10 rebounds and scoring 6-8 points a game why would you take him out of the starting lineup?

Improve his efficiency and he’s a very valuable player. Hurley is still trying to break him in.

Reaction Score
I would say that CV played well, except for the TOs, but shot poorly. CV will continue to get minutes, but Hurley will work with him on shot selection. Me thinks, Hurley absolutely loves CV.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I would say that CV played well, except for the TOs, but shot poorly. CV will continue to get minutes, but Hurley will work with him on shot selection. Me thinks, Hurley absolutely loves CV.

As much as I’m team have CV come off the bench. This is absolutely a true statement

Reaction Score
Vital is what he is. He works his tail off but isn't a very smart basketball player. But how can we sit a guy with 18 boards/2 games on a team who doesn't rebound the ball well? His D has been solid but on offense he's a guy who can stop the momentum by making bad mistakes. For now he's in the first 5, but his offensive game needs to improve to keep that spot I believe as well obviously his decision making. I am sure Hurley will sit with him and let him know so he will find a way to adjust accordingly depending upon his streaky shooting.

Reaction Score
Minutes count more than the five names introduced at the start of the game. Smith perfectly fits the mold of a guy Hurley likes to bring off the bench, kind of like a Stan Robinson last year. At the same time, it’s good to have bench guys to push the starters, make them accountable and a little uncomfortable. There’s nothing worse than an ineffective player who knows there are no other options. The staff does not have blinders on with Vital. They know on what he needs to improve, and he’ll get that instruction.

I’d also be careful conflating “still working on learning and fitting in to the system” with “selfish player who thinks it’s all about him.” Vital is the first, IMO.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tarin is also thrives in his role. He thrives as a 6th man. Don’t fix what isn’t broke

He is also the backup PG. He needs to be in when Al is out. Playing him at the start disrupts that. Should CV start? If Wilson was available, no way. Or if Diarra was available (with Polley at the 3). For now it would require Whaley or Cobb earning a start at the 4.

Reaction Score
Vital is a turnover machine and will cost us big time in a close game.
Smith should start until Wilson is cleared. Vital off the bench for 15 minutes a game.
If he's hot let him play more. When his three isn't falling he is a liability with his poor decisions.

Reaction Score
You need to be careful with changing the starting lineup. Lots of psychology to be considered. I agree with those who say that PT should depend on his ability to improve his shot selection.

I think Hurley will make progress with him. Hurley was my choice to replace KO and nothing has changed. However, I can say there is one thing I would like him to change. He needs to be more careful about public statements on who our best players are. That can also cause resentment. With CV, I like that he points out his toughness and I like that he specifies that it is the shot selection that needs improving. But he should stop there. Comments about other players being better and needing to take more shots is not good. I would like him to keep those thoughts internal. It is a minor point but little things like that can have a big impact.

Reaction Score
He is also the backup PG. He needs to be in when Al is out. Playing him at the start disrupts that. Should CV start? If Wilson was available, no way. Or if Diarra was available (with Polley at the 3). For now it would require Whaley or Cobb earning a start at the 4.

Most of our guards can play the point, so that's not the issue.

What I'm curious about is your contention that Diarra and Polley would both be playing over Vital. Did everyone on here just start watching this team yesterday? You understand that these guys have all been playing for a while, and that Vital has been demonstrably better than players like Polley and Diarra, right?

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what Hurley does with the lineup this week at MSG. Vital was playing out of control the entire game last night, but made up for it via defense, rebounding and energy. I think Hurley understands Vital has not been playing well on offense, but when we have a commanding lead on UMKC, why not let him get his minutes and figure it out. If Vital continues the same play offensively against Cuse, Hurley will pull him quick. I think it will send the message to Vital that he has an important role on the team via his energy and passion, but he can't force his shot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Most of our guards can play the point, so that's not the issue.

What I'm curious about is your contention that Diarra and Polley would both be playing over Vital. Did everyone on here just start watching this team yesterday? You understand that these guys have all been playing for a while, and that Vital has been demonstrably better than players like Polley and Diarra, right?

No, he hasn't. He's scored more because he takes a lot of bad shots. Polley shoots better from 3 and is much longer. His D is iffy. Diarra is a more efficient offensive player, stronger post defender and better rebounder. Vital rebounds and defends with energy but his decision making remains terrible and he will be totally out matched against any team with a true SF at the 3. We aren't going to face small teams like this all year...in fact Syracuse presents that exact problem.

I think, given full health, and full availability, the best starting 5 is Carlton, Diarra, Wilson, J Adams, Gilbert. With Smith, Vital and Polley and others off the bench.

Reaction Score
damn, remember when the uconn mbb coach used to change the starting lineup every game :(

i agree that cv should have a short leash, but you need his rebounding in the three guards + polley lineup

Reaction Score
I don’t know where the narrative comes from that CV will be a problem if he doesn’t start. I think he’s a team player and while he may not like it would accept his role if it’s off the bench. I don’t think his shot selection has been horrible this season he just is not shooting well. His biggest weakness is his confidence to drive to the basket against 3 defenders doesn’t equate to his skill level

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom