Vital still deserves to start? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vital still deserves to start?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
A good beat writer would figure out a way to ask this question...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hurley knows he has options when Vital isn't feeling it. This was a very poor performance on his part, but any consequences he faces will be less than permanent. Others may get more minutes going forward, and if and when they have their own rough stretches, I don't think Hurley will hesitate to throw CV back out there.

Reaction Score
Vital wasn't held accountable/coached well the last 2 years and I think that has stunted his growth as a player. Bad habits are hard to break. But he does bring it every game so he'll play and hopefully learn to break those bad habits on the fly.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Love the rebounding and hustle, but he had almost half of the team's turnovers and he just can't be the guy taking the most shots on the team. His offensive game is just not good enough to be a volume scorer on a good team.

He is a 3 and D guy on a good team.

Reaction Score
He rebounds very well and plays hard. After that I have difficulty finding another part of his game that would justify starting him. He should get minutes off the bench for sure but he should be on a very short leash.

Reaction Score
Vital had a crappy game. He was out of control on offense. He’s going to be a major part of our success this year so hopefully he calms down.
I want to like this, and I agree, but it means that we will at times this season live and die by Christian Vital. Love the kid, but I’m not sure that’s how we want our games to swing.

Reaction Score
I want to like this, and I agree, but it means that we will at times this season live and die by Christian Vital. Love the kid, but I’m not sure that’s how we want our games to swing.

We will definitely not live and die by CV. He will get benched if he plays out of control because we have other options but will get many chances to redeem himself throughout the season. He missed 3 put backs off of his own offensive rebounds tonight and a handful of wide open 3s he needs to take. My issues with him were the handful of out of control drives and the early contested 3 at the beginning of the game. These flaws should be able to be coached out of him and if not the bench is a good teacher. I know he is vocal and outspoken but I do not see him becoming a locker room cancer if he starts to lose minutes because he is going to be given so many opportunities to prove himself.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let's keep simple stuff simple.

Vital will continue to start and play 20+ mpg until another player on the roster takes his minutes.
And with this roster and this coach there is the possibility of players demonstrating that ability and a coaching staff able to evaluate abilities and pull the string.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
2 comfortable wins and we already want to start tweaking the starting line up?!

Vital brings what the team needs for defensive energy and rebounding. His shot selection will improve. Hurley knows he needs him.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
This thread has sized Vital up well in my opinion. I was at the game - he is clearly the only player who hasn't figured out how it is not all about him. Love his defense, rebounds, hustle as others have stated, but his decision-making (forced action with a bad outcome) and his need to shoot like he is a knock-down shooter is a real problem. I agree with others that Hurley has to try to coach him out of this and not do anything drastic with his playing time. Although I agree he will see less time when Sid returns. Though it is likely to be game by game, because he is very streaky. Let the shots come!! Some games you'll get 10 good looks at a 3 and other games it will be only 2. He is just not the offensive player he would like to be. Six to 12 points a game while doing all the other things is how he will best help this team. I have faith Hurley will figure out how to increase the good and minimize the bad with Vital. By the way, if Smith is the shooter he was today... and Jalen continues the better shooting... 20 plus wins is certainly in sight.

Reaction Score
This thread has sized Vital up well in my opinion. I was at the game - he is clearly the only player who hasn't figured out how it is not all about him. Love his defense, rebounds, hustle as others have stated, but his decision-making (forced action with a bad outcome) and his need to shoot like he is a knock-down shooter is a real problem. I agree with others that Hurley has to try to coach him out of this and not do anything drastic with his playing time. Although I agree he will see less time when Sid returns. Though it is likely to be game by game, because he is very streaky. Let the shots come!! Some games you'll get 10 good looks at a 3 and other games it will be only 2. He is just not the offensive player he would like to be. Six to 12 points a game while doing all the other things is how he will best help this team. I have faith Hurley will figure out how to increase the good and minimize the bad with Vital. By the way, if Smith is the shooter he was today... and Jalen continues the better shooting... 20 plus wins is certainly in sight.

Well on SNY they mentioned how CV is most enthusiastic in the huddle with quotes something like “let’s continue to play for each other.” He gets it and wants it, just needs better decision making and execution.

Reaction Score
Are we sure Vital a good three point shooter? He shot 31% last year and is like 1-12 this year. Idk I’m just asking the question.

Yes best rebounder, hardest worker and what not but is he a good shooter?

That 31% includes mannnnny bad shots. When he's open and squared up he knocks them in. This is exactly why getting him to stop dribbling and spotting up in the corners is so important.

Reaction Score
Are we sure Vital a good three point shooter? He shot 31% last year and is like 1-12 this year. Idk I’m just asking the question.

Yes best rebounder, hardest worker and what not but is he a good shooter?

He is a streak shooter. Definitely not a great shooter. That 31 percent is on very high volume and on very bad shot selection. I don't think its a stretch to expect 35 percent shooting throughout the year, which would valuable.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I’d rather bring Tarin off the bench so he can giv Gilbert or Adams a breather. As of now he’s good with the ball, he’s heady, can shoot, and plays good defense. Perfect for the first off the bench. Vital just needs to let the game come to him

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Well on SNY they mentioned how CV is most enthusiastic in the huddle with quotes something like “let’s continue to play for each other.” He gets it and wants it, just needs better decision making and execution.
He took 13 shots. Jalen, Gilbert, and Smith are all better offensively, he should try to get them shots... I like him but he is not the offensive player he wants to be and must recognize this. He will have some good nights ahead of him, but he's not the type of player you want taking the most shots on your team, especially when they are often rushed or just a poor percentage shot. He's emotional and has tremendous drive which is great for this team. As I said, I think Hurley will find away to get the best out of him. I am glad that he verbalizes that he would like to play for his teammates... he just needs to learn what that looks like for him (e.g., hustle, rebounds, defense and good shots).

Reaction Score
I wrote in a PM to someone, and I think it's worth saying here. The reason why Vital is so streaky shooting is his set point, imo. Obviously the gunning is mental.

Vital brings the ball waayyyy behind his head when he shoots--his elbow is practically above his eyes at the start of the shot. That means when he shoots, his elbow isn't able to lift. With no elbow lift, he doesn't get a natural or adequate arc.

When he's ON, he'll light it up, but he's not going to get much of a shooter's bounce that way.

Reaction Score
We will definitely not live and die by CV. He will get benched if he plays out of control because we have other options but will get many chances to redeem himself throughout the season. He missed 3 put backs off of his own offensive rebounds tonight and a handful of wide open 3s he needs to take. My issues with him were the handful of out of control drives and the early contested 3 at the beginning of the game. These flaws should be able to be coached out of him and if not the bench is a good teacher. I know he is vocal and outspoken but I do not see him becoming a locker room cancer if he starts to lose minutes because he is going to be given so many opportunities to prove himself.
When I say that we will live and die by CV *at times* this year I mean that he will explode and score 20+ and keep us in some games, and/or shoot us out of games this year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom