Vital and Gilbert | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Vital and Gilbert

Reaction Score
I will slow down and punctuate if necessary sorry it was a sentence of crap I agree. I don’t want the staff to start playing Gaffney and Adams more than AG and even CV in order to begin thinking of the future rather than who we can still be this year. If the staff went that way in their thinking we’d once again be a sub .500 squad. The response was to a post that leaned that way giving up on this years hopes.
I actually think the young guys are talented enough to help us get to the tourney this season if they take away more minutes from Vital and AG. We need to get Bouk Gaffney Akok and either Adams/Polley more involved in the offense the next few games

Reaction Score
I actually think the young guys are talented enough to help us get to the tourney this season if they take away more minutes from Vital and AG. We need to get Bouk Gaffney Akok and either Adams/Polley more involved in the offense the next few games

Gaffney was crapping his pants the last game and prior has hardly shown the ability to take his guy off the dribble and make something happen. Adams isn’t close to being a PG and wil never be. When he was on a roll he was good off the ball last couple he’s starting to look like last year. Bouk needs to step up but he’s not a PG either. They need AG to play smart and make some shots or it will be a very long year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don’t want the staff to start playing Gaffney and Adams more than AG and even CV in order to begin thinking of the future rather than who we can still be this year.
I'm not sure more minutes for the former wouldn't make us better this year and next.

Reactions: pj

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
8 assists for AG so yeah he did, made some great decisions when we made our run early. But he turned into the PG we didn't need trying to do too much rather than making everyone better. He was really good on the defensive end though but most people neglect to look at that. But he needs to be more like the 3-4 prior games which had us believing he finally got it. Vital killed us when we had the lead early and made our run, AG got his 2nd Vital gave IU a shot he was dreadful. Instead of being up 16-17 points we're basically in a game lost a big lead without AG on the floor. Adams and Gaffney can't be the guys with the ball they proved that against solid defense. Bouk showed he has a ways to go.

So less PT for AG will kill us instead it needs to be the AG we need on the floor or we can look to 2020-21 period there is no replacement. There's no selfish chucking going on there just not making shots or taking good ones. DH is still the coach and while I agree some of this cannot be coached he still needs to rope them both in. He did a horrible job with Vital in the first half, way too much rope he was out of control in maybe his worst 5-6 minute stretch of his career.

This is simple, need them both to play better but know we do NEED them both. And they need to be under control and mature like they can be.
Only for accuracy sake I want to point out that Gilbert picked up his second foul with eleven minutes remaining and was subbed out. Over the next six minutes with Al not playing the lead was extended to ten.

At around five 1/2 minutes remaining Akok picked up his second, was subbed out, and Indiana went on the 18-3 run.

I’m not arguing against any suggestions on how to utilize CV or Al that you or others are making.

I want to point out that the loss of Akok’s defensive play and energy were possibly more a factor in that run than anything.

Reaction Score
Only for accuracy sake I want to point out that Gilbert picked up his second foul with eleven minutes remaining and was subbed out. Over the next six minutes with Al not playing the lead was extended to ten.

At around five 1/2 minutes remaining Akok picked up his second, was subbed out, and Indiana went on the 18-3 run.

I’m not arguing against any suggestions on how to utilize CV or Al that you or others are making.

I want to point out that the loss of Akok’s defensive play and energy were possibly more a factor in that run than anything.

Wow I need to see that we made our run with AG making great decisions on the break and in half court. We lost that lead with AG on the bench and CV handling the ball way too much. I mean it can happen but at no point vs IU were we better with him in the bench. Unfortunately we weren’t better when he went back to the PG we don’t like to see either.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Wow I need to see that we made our run with AG making great decisions on the break and in half court. We lost that lead with AG on the bench and CV handling the ball way too much. I mean it can happen but at no point vs IU were we better with him in the bench. Unfortunately we weren’t better when he went back to the PG we don’t like to see either.
You and I are both defense first guys. Which is why you pointed out CV’s defense in an earlier post. It’s reasonable but myopic imo if people focus on the offense and not the defense in the three losses.

In all three losses Akok was neutralized on defense. In The St. Joes game it was four guards who spread the floor and were unconscious hitting threes. In the Xavier game Akok sat out the second half and overtimes because of an injury. In the Indiana game it was fouls.

Ken Pom statistics demonstrate success is predicated more on defense than offense. So in a balanced approach to suggesting how the team should play (and who and what Hurley should be examining in playing time) people overlooking defensive contributions are missing the major component to success and the reason why JC and Geno are HOF coaches. They emphasized defense over offense.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm not sure more minutes for the former wouldn't make us better this year and next.

We absolutely need a backup point guard, and nobody on this roster can do it apart from Gaffney.

Reaction Score
You and I are both defense first guys. Which is why you pointed out CV’s defense in an earlier post. It’s reasonable but myopic imo if people focus on the offense and not the defense in the three losses.

In all three losses Akok was neutralized on defense. In The St. Joes game it was four guards who spread the floor and were unconscious hitting threes. In the Xavier game Akok sat out the second half and overtimes because of an injury. In the Indiana game it was fouls.

Ken Pom statistics demonstrate success is predicated more on defense than offense. So in a balanced approach to suggesting how the team should play (and who and what Hurley should be examining in playing time) people overlooking defensive contributions are missing the major component to success and the reason why JC and Geno are HOF coaches. They emphasized defense over offense.

Akok is exciting and he's a difference maker. Unfortunately the refs can be too and for now he seems to be a guy they find some cheap calls to stick to. He is going to get better game by game during the year will be a fun watch. Need him to keep the hands in the pocket which is a tough ask in a physical game. Sid did a really nice job the other day in his minutes too he looks to be starting to get it. That's huge if he can defend and rebound off the bench.

Reaction Score
Gaffney was crapping his pants the last game and prior has hardly shown the ability to take his guy off the dribble and make something happen. Adams isn’t close to being a PG and wil never be. When he was on a roll he was good off the ball last couple he’s starting to look like last year. Bouk needs to step up but he’s not a PG either. They need AG to play smart and make some shots or it will be a very long year.

What the heck is your deal dude? You completely took my post and put your own spin on it. And in a very aggressive way mind you.

Who said I wanted B Adams at pg?? And did I say Gaffney played well last game? I think he is CAPABLE, key word is CAPABLE of helping us get to the tourney. And let me be clear by help us get to the tourney I mean “ help” as in provide good minutes off the bench. Not take over anyone else’s starting position or anything.

He has the skill set he’s just timid out there right now which is why I want us to use the next few cupcake games to get him more burn and more comfortable out there.

And I never said anything about Bouk playing PG either.

Literally the only thing I wanna see is all those guys I mentioned get either more time on the floor (Gaffney, B Adams) and more shots up (Bouk, Polley , Akok). Now go lower your blood pressure please.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Akok is exciting and he's a difference maker. Unfortunately the refs can be too and for now he seems to be a guy they find some cheap calls to stick to. He is going to get better game by game during the year will be a fun watch. Need him to keep the hands in the pocket which is a tough ask in a physical game. Sid did a really nice job the other day in his minutes too he looks to be starting to get it. That's huge if he can defend and rebound off the bench.
Sid’s play was beyond anything I expected. He was the only pulse for a good part of the second half for either team.

In addition to the defense Akok is providing as well as the level of play for a freshman, I'm wondering if he will be the inspirational leader of the team like Kemba, Caron and Khalid.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Well they must be slow learner's because I remember them being on the team last year.
Did you not read, "I do not think there is enough time this year to break the ingrained bad habits after 1 year and 9 games of good coaching"

The point I am making is that they've had LAST year with DH and are 9 games into this year and they still fall back into bad habits.

Thank you for validating my comments.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Mau man, how are you going to help Gaff from being like that. I don't think by having him watch CV and Al play. More minutes, Taliek in his ear, more minutes. Build him up, coach him up. I know DH doesn't need any advise from me or 99.9% 98% of us on here (I'm feeling generous). Just an arm chair dude's opinion.

Reaction Score
Mau man, how are you going to help Gaff from being like that. I don't think by having him watch CV and Al play. More minutes, Taliek in his ear, more minutes. Build him up, coach him up. I know DH doesn't need any advise from me or 99.9% of us on here. Just an arm chair dude's opinion.

I hear you we need him to gain confidence and make plays there’s lots of potential there. Baby steps it would seem for him. Take the good from Al and also learn from the negative. Earn the time for now he hasn’t. Let’s hope he becomes a solid back up as the year moves forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next three games Gaffney has to get time as the PG with a solid supporting cast not the second line. He has been real reluctant to assert himself with the ball and we need him in case Alt gets in foul trouble again. The upper classmen are making mistakes, don't worry about it and go play. Sid had real quality minutes and let's hope he keeps building on this. He brings another dimension to our front court that only Akok does. Range, hops and athleticism. These next 3 games have to have the younger guys gaining confidence.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This is all a good discussion. I do think Gilbert needs to be the primary point guard, and I hope to heck he finds his shot. He's a much better player penetrating/distributing than penetrating/finishing, and if he can go to penetrating and hitting floaters and pullups, that will really help the team.

But Gaffney and Bouknight need PT this year too. Maybe they were a bit deer-in-the-headlights against IU, but by the second week of conference season they need to be contributors against good teams. Otherwise our depth isn't what we would hope it would be.

Vital's end-of-game play reminds me of Einstein's definition of insanity: Doing the same failing thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Reaction Score
The Gilbert situation is pretty clear & understandable, there is something wrong with the mechanics of his shot & until that gets fixed he’s going to continue to look really bad because his confidence is lost. The guy is passing up open shots but then forcing shots to try to shoot out of the slump, not sure how to fix his situation unless somehow he starts shooting better.

As far as Vital, he is what he’s always been, just not a very smart basketball player & I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Reaction Score
The Gilbert situation is pretty clear & understandable, there is something wrong with the mechanics of his shot & until that gets fixed he’s going to continue to look really bad because his confidence is lost. The guy is passing up open shots but then forcing shots to try to shoot out of the slump, not sure how to fix his situation unless somehow he starts shooting better.

As far as Vital, he is what he’s always been, just not a very smart basketball player & I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
There is more than meets the eye with Christian and what we expect from him. He was a 3 star high school player who committed late and was the least heralded of the Top 5. Due to transfers, AG’s injuries and ineffectiveness, and poor recruiting he’s been looked upon as a feature player, which is much more than he was projected to ever be. Not the kid’s fault, more of the effect of running a poor program for 4 years and having nobody better to turn to. He should have always been a role player who provided energy and provided a boost, not a guy taking crucial shots.

Reaction Score
We absolutely need a backup point guard, and nobody on this roster can do it apart from Gaffney.
We need a starting point we have a couple of backups. Gilbert had a couple of descent games dishing the ball and lately he is back to himself making bad decisions and awful shots.

Reaction Score
Next three games Gaffney has to get time as the PG with a solid supporting cast not the second line. He has been real reluctant to assert himself with the ball and we need him in case Alt gets in foul trouble again. The upper classmen are making mistakes, don't worry about it and go play. Sid had real quality minutes and let's hope he keeps building on this. He brings another dimension to our front court that only Akok does. Range, hops and athleticism. These next 3 games have to have the younger guys gaining confidence.
Hurley needs to completely scrap his hockey line change.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to completely scrap his hockey line change.
Earlier in the season the second unit looked great, but at this point I agree he needs to trim the rotation a bit and blend bench players in with starters more. Unless we were playing a full court press for 40 minutes, the current substitution patterns don’t make sense:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sucks when stats don't align with your narrative.
And citing partial stats do??? Me thinks he's referring to shooting 1-9 as a stat to make his case. So on offense he contributed 9 positives and 11 negatives. This is not the definition of solid. But the statistics demonstrate the need for Gilbert to improve his shooting or else it will be a long season.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
And citing partial stats do??? Me thinks he's referring to shooting 1-9 as a stat to make his case. So on offense he contributed 9 positives and 11 negatives. This is not the definition of solid. But the statistics demonstrate the need for Gilbert to improve his shooting or else it will be a long season.
Al does need to improve his shooting but what may be a quicker remedy would be less shots from him and more for Polley, Bouk, and Akok.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom