Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
OK, another episode of "So you want to be a gambler".
Feeling confident, I tried to place my bet on the Huskies (-14). But by that time. the spread jumped all the way up to UCONN (-17).
Since I am an avowed coward, I didn't place the bet. Instead, I bet the UNDER total points of 134, praying that UCONN would shut down everyone but Maddie.
When UCONN was up by 25, I kicked myself for not sticking to my UCONN bet. As it turned out, they didn't even cover the original 14 pointspread,
But the final total was 123, so "winner, winner...chicken dinner". This time, it paid to be a chicken! ;)

Reaction Score
At the start of the 4th Q Villanova had to outscore UConn by 22 to win. No way, right? Well, there was no way. Not to say that Villanova didn't take their best shot at it. I wasn't unhappy to see them make the score respectable. And I was rooting for Maddy to get her 20. My fav non-Uconn BE player.

On to the Big Dance. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
First and foremost, the defense in the past three games has been so impressive. They have been on a mission, and didn’t let up until the last five minutes. Aaliyah and Dorka were both fantastic on both sides of the ball, and at times it felt like they were scoring at will. Having both Lou and Azzi on the floor spreads the offense and opens things up in the paint and on the perimeter. Lou was able to take advantage of this in the first half and Azzi in the second. Seeing Azzi’s shot start to fall in the 3q made me feel even better about the possibilities moving forward.

I hope Aubrey is okay. She can do things on the court athletically that no one else can.

It was nice to see these young women celebrate this championship in a way that they did not celebrate the regular season title.

Rest up. Heal. Practice. Win.

Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Villanova game:
  • Through all the injuries, upsets, head scratching and predictions of disaster, UConn WBB has just won their 10th straight conference tournament convincingly….and ORDER HAS BEEN RESTORED TO THE UNIVERSE.
  • Through the years we have become accustomed to high scoring offense from UConn WBB. But the true calling card for this UConn team is DEFENSE. For the 3rd game in a row UConn’s defense was suffocating holding Nova to just 56 points on 30% shooting.
  • Siegrist is an AA, but Aaliyah plays her as tough as anyone, containing the nation’s leading scorer to 22 points on 9 for 21 shooting. Olson, Nova’s 2nd scoring option, was also held in check, primarily by Nika’s relentless defensive effort, going 3 for 19 from the floor tonight. :eek:
  • Aaliyah with yet another monster game with 19 points, 15 rebounds, a fantastic defensive effort on Siegrist and, IMO, Conference Tournament MOP and 1st Team AA.
  • I thought the contributions tonight from Lou & Dorka were tremendous. This is the last rodeo for our two wonderful grad students, and they are leaving it all on the court.
  • Azzi is still just a bit off with her shooting stroke, but everything else she does on the court is textbook, including her defense, passing and constant movement without the ball….and when she started burying 3’s in the 3rd qtr, you could feel the game slowly but surely slip away from Nova. :)
  • At this point in the season, just about every team in the country is beat up. The 9-10 days off for the Huskies prior to their first game in the Big Dance is a very much needed godsend for this team.
  • The P-5 along with the Big East are the 6 most consequential WBB conferences in the nation. With the Big12 tournament yet to be played, only the BE has seen the top 2 seeds in the final, and only SC & UConn have won their respective conference tournaments as the favorites. All the upsets of top-rated teams in the Pac12, BIG10, ACC & SEC tournaments should give the Selection Committee much to consider when making up the brackets for The Big Dance. IMO, the four #1 seeds right now should be SC, VA Tech, Iowa & UConn.
Very doubtful we will be a number one seed...but we should be a high enough number 2 to avoid South Carolina's bracket, which is the most important thing... we can beat them, but it should only be in the Final Four

Reaction Score
Somebody straighten out Sarah Kustok and inform her we don’t cut down nets for conference championships, just National Championships. Go UConn !
I would tell Sarah Kustok, but she is probably still talking. She blabbered throughout the whole 4th quarter & prevented Schumaker from calling the play by play!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very doubtful we will be a number one seed...but we should be a high enough number 2 to avoid South Carolina's bracket, which is the most important thing... we can beat them, but it should only be in the Final Four
You’re probably correct. But if UConn is not a #1, then whoever is the #1 in UConn’s bracket is going to feel like they are being punished.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just as recently as yesterday, during his postgame comments, Geno complained about Aubrey’s inconsistency from game to game. She played really well yesterday. But in today’s game, in her 12 minutes, Aubrey had 1 block and that was it.

It may be that Aubrey was injured. It also may be that Geno was sending a message. I guess we’ll all hear soon enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom