Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes. Just watched the game again. Aubrey moved pretty well while she was in the game, so I am assume her spasms were relatively minor. Having suffered from back spasms and gone through back surgery myself, I strongly suspect that Aubrey will be 100% for the Big Dance.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree, @BillsFan. I thought Kim Adams and John Fanta were great. And the guy who did yesterday’s game with Kim was fine. But Kustock didn’t really say much that wasn’t obvious. Not having anything valuable to add didn’t stop her from talking nonstop. Not sure why she gets the gig over Kim who I think is far better.
Kim was the sideline reporter

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Actually, the guy who called yesterday's game was the same guy who called tonight's game (Matt Schumaker) . The difference was that Kim Adams allowed him call the play by play while Sarah Kustock insisted on telling longwinded, boring stories and she stepped all lover the play by play. She dragged Matt down with her nonstop rhetoric.
I agree with nearly all you said. But I must disagree with your depiction of her speech as "rhetoric. That term implies effective and/or persuasive speech. I would describe it as "gobbledygook" or "gibberish". The Saturday pair was the best ,imo.

Reaction Score
I agree with nearly all you said. But I must disagree with your depiction of her speech as "rhetoric. That term implies effective and/or persuasive speech. I would describe it as "gobbledygook" or "gibberish". The Saturday pair was the best ,imo.
what about babbling

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
wait, what..... words have meanings?

Reaction Score
325B2570-270B-426C-A8C0-692D05282D4A.jpeg

I was so happy to see this on my way into work last night!!!

Reaction Score
I read through as many posts as I could as not to be too repetitive, but if I am forgive me.

My wife and I went to the game last night. We've been long time watchers on TV but this is the first time we've seen UConn play live in person. Just a note - UConn is undefeated in games my wife and I attend (1W - 0L). We had great seats, 5th row center court, what a great way to experience the game!

The atmosphere was simply amazing, the crowd just wills their energy onto the team, not that it takes a heck of a lot to want to cheer and shout for these athletes, but the crowd was pumping for the opening tip and it was LOUD!

Geno - had his team ready, and I mean ready. Not a hint of nerves or apprehension. They had a plan and they executed it very very well. I know there have been lots of comments about his substitution patterns or lack thereof. In this game I thought he managed it well. He got the players rests from the opening quarter to keep them fresh for what I am sure he thought would be a dogfight in the second half.

Dorka - Ok she looks really tall in person, lol. She is also incredibly athletic and quicker than I thought. She was moving very well on defense and was absolutely someone 'Nova had to contend with when they tried to get into the lane. Her offense was nice and steady, and she really got some important buckets at various times during the game. Very poised player as well.

AE - she is a Queen on the court. Strong, fast, smart, determined, and someone who still has room for growth. Her defense on Maddy was incredible. She was beating her to her spots many times and making playing offense for Maddy really tough. The fact she threw up a double double of offense, with the defense she played is incredible.

Nika - was always one of my favorite players and may now be my favorite. One word - leadership. She just leads. Leads by effort. Leads by words (sets always talking) and leads by setting a tone that you aren't going to get a W easily, so let's get after it. I really feel like she has a hidden offensive game within her, it's just not something the team needs out of her. But her toughness, man, I wouldn't want to play against her.

Aubrey - I honestly have no idea what happened to her. She played and looked fine in the first half. Though fewer minutes than normal. Started on the court in the second half and then was taken immediately out. I think I read in this thread it was her back, so I hope she is ok. Talk about an athlete who looks so graceful on the court - that is Aubrey.

Lou - Oh Lou. She got it all started for the team last night. She came out and scored some early buckets and really allowed the entire team to settle in. She is also a tireless worker on defense. Always moving at 100% effort to get to her spots, switch, or push through a screen. Moved so well on offense which opened up many passing lanes for others to take advantage of.

Azzi - fans were willing some of her shots to fall in the beginning. But her stroke is so pure and quick you knew they'd start falling eventually and when they did - game over. Sorry 'Nova, that was it. Also, fans cheer for all the players but man it does sound a pinch louder when Azzi makes a bucket.

CD - again really gave the team exactly what they needed. Good minutes, tough and relentless defense, and a couple points. She played Maddy as tough as she could. Geno seemed very pleased with her efforts.

I think I got everyone. One side note - Ines in warmups was draining 3 after 3 after 3. At one point I counted she made 4 of 5 or 5 of 6. She has a nice little shooting stroke. Curious to watch that evolve.

Lets keep the train rolling!

Reaction Score
A few people here have criticized the Huskies for not getting in line to congratulate their opponents after the game. That surprised me, so I took a look at the game replay that is posted here, and saw that the Nova players ran to the line immediately after the buzzer sounded. They were the ones who were avoiding having to congratulate the team that won. Whatever, no biggie but let's not take shots at the UConn team.
Do they have a congratulations line at championship games? I thought the post game celebrations, interviews, net cutting, and awards meant that had to postponed.

Reaction Score
The team has done a complete 180 degree turn in a matter of days, from barely squeaking by Xavier to completely dominating the Big East tournament.

One thing is for sure: opponents should not want to play this particular UConn team. Not just because they're UConn but because these young women have gone through the fire this season. There is no question in my mind that the adversity they have faced have made them much, much tougher mentally than any of their potential opponents. And often it is mental toughness that propels a team through to a championship.

Reaction Score
LOLOL... I was being polite. Besides, I couldn't spell gobbledygook! :(
The sad part was that Kim Adams was there. But she was relegated to sideline reporter instead of analyst.

Reaction Score
The team has done a complete 180 degree turn in a matter of days, from barely squeaking by Xavier to completely dominating the Big East tournament.

One thing is for sure: opponents should not want to play this particular UConn team. Not just because they're UConn but because these young women have gone through the fire this season. There is no question in my mind that the adversity they have faced have made them much, much tougher mentally than any of their potential opponents. And often it is mental toughness that propels a team through to a championship.
I hope so!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes. Just watched the game again. Aubrey moved pretty well while she was in the game, so I am assume her spasms were relatively minor. Having suffered from back spasms and gone through back surgery myself, I strongly suspect that Aubrey will be 100% for the Big Dance.
She'll be in my thoughts 'til Geno gives us a thumbs up on her.

Reaction Score
On to the Big Dance. Things are looking good for a deep run!
Or, as I remember from my 7th grade science teacher: “Things are looking up,” said the man as he opened the can of fish eyes.

Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Villanova game:
  • Through all the injuries, upsets, head scratching and predictions of disaster, UConn WBB has just won their 10th straight conference tournament convincingly….and ORDER HAS BEEN RESTORED TO THE UNIVERSE.
  • Through the years we have become accustomed to high scoring offense from UConn WBB. But the true calling card for this UConn team is DEFENSE. For the 3rd game in a row UConn’s defense was suffocating holding Nova to just 56 points on 30% shooting.
  • Siegrist is an AA, but Aaliyah plays her as tough as anyone, containing the nation’s leading scorer to 22 points on 9 for 21 shooting. Olson, Nova’s 2nd scoring option, was also held in check, primarily by Nika’s relentless defensive effort, going 3 for 19 from the floor tonight. :eek:
  • Aaliyah with yet another monster game with 19 points, 15 rebounds, a fantastic defensive effort on Siegrist and, IMO, Conference Tournament MOP and 1st Team AA.
  • I thought the contributions tonight from Lou & Dorka were tremendous. This is the last rodeo for our two wonderful grad students, and they are leaving it all on the court.
  • Azzi is still just a bit off with her shooting stroke, but everything else she does on the court is textbook, including her defense, passing and constant movement without the ball….and when she started burying 3’s in the 3rd qtr, you could feel the game slowly but surely slip away from Nova. :)
  • At this point in the season, just about every team in the country is beat up. The 9-10 days off for the Huskies prior to their first game in the Big Dance is a very much needed godsend for this team.
  • The P-5 along with the Big East are the 6 most consequential WBB conferences in the nation. With the Big12 tournament yet to be played, only the BE has seen the top 2 seeds in the final, and only SC & UConn have won their respective conference tournaments as the favorites. All the upsets of top-rated teams in the Pac12, BIG10, ACC & SEC tournaments should give the Selection Committee much to consider when making up the brackets for The Big Dance. IMO, the four #1 seeds right now should be SC, VA Tech, Iowa & UConn.
Dude, you bring up a great point about Aaliyah's defense. Its a shame that many writers, when they pump up their All American candidates, just focus on scoring and ignore this aspect of the game. South Carolina's Boston is the only one I can think of that has Aaliyah's combination of scoring, rebounding, and defense.

Reaction Score
That 3rd quarter was vintage UCONN. They took a game that was competitive and just squeezed the life out of Villanova. Azzi isn't back to her full form yet but she hit three big three pointers in the 3rd which helped put the game away. The play but AE on offense and defense was spectacular and the supporting cast did a great job too.

One observation. The officials were letting them play very physical which benefits UCONN when they are full strength. I thought Nika was fouled every time she went to the basket but she has a habit of doing too much acting. I think she would get the call if she went strong and took the contract. But overall she did a great job of attacking the basket.

I was very impressed with the intensity of the defense for the whole tournament.

Reaction Score
Dude, you bring up a great point about Aaliyah's defense. Its a shame that many writers, when they pump up their All American candidates, just focus on scoring and ignore this aspect of the game. South Carolina's Boston is the only one I can think of that has Aaliyah's combination of scoring, rebounding, and defense.

Cameron Brink

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom