Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I watched it on FOX and I loved every minute of it except When it came time to watch the girls celebrate they had the announcers on like they had to wrap it up for us, telling us their views...as if we cared. I wanted to see the girls get their trophies and and celebrate together not watch a couple of announcers hogging the lime light.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The Nova fans self-owned a couple times. After Azzi buried two 3’s in a row, her next shot was an air ball. Of course the Nova fans started chanting “air ball…air ball.” But on the very next UConn possession Azzi ripped the nets with her 3rd 3-pt shot, silencing the Nova fans. I’m pretty sure I noticed a sly smile from Azzi as she ran back down court. :)

Reaction Score
I agree, @BillsFan. I thought Kim Adams and John Fanta were great. And the guy who did yesterday’s game with Kim was fine. But Kustock didn’t really say much that wasn’t obvious. Not having anything valuable to add didn’t stop her from talking nonstop. Not sure why she gets the gig over Kim who I think is far better.

Reaction Score
Cant see how the Committee doesnt give us a #1 seed. We just blew out a very good VU team with a Top 3 player in the country on a neutral court. We have our Top 7 back. We have more than enough talent and experience to beat anyone on a neutral court, and would be favored against anyone except 1 or maybe 2 teams at most. Do your job Committee!!
Mohegan Sun is not really a neutral court, but I agree with everything else here.

Reaction Score
I agree, @BillsFan. I thought Kim Adams and John Fanta were great. And the guy who did yesterday’s game with Kim was fine. But Kustock didn’t really say much that wasn’t obvious. Not having anything valuable to add didn’t stop her from talking nonstop. Not sure why she gets the gig over Kim who I think is far better.
Actually, the guy who called yesterday's game was the same guy who called tonight's game (Matt Schumaker) . The difference was that Kim Adams allowed him call the play by play while Sarah Kustock insisted on telling longwinded, boring stories and she stepped all lover the play by play. She dragged Matt down with her nonstop rhetoric.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, the guy who called yesterday's game was the same guy who called tonight's game (Matt Schumaker) . The difference was that Kim Adams allowed him call the play by play while Sarah Kustock insisted on telling longwinded, boring stories and she stepped all lover the play by play. She dragged Matt down with her nonstop rhetoric.
The return of Doris Burke? :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Nova fans self-owned a couple times. After Azzi buried two 3’s in a row, her next shot was an air ball. Of course the Nova fans started chanting “air ball…air ball.” But on the very next UConn possession Azzi ripped the nets with her 3rd 3-pt shot, silencing the Nova fans. I’m pretty sure I noticed a sly smile from Azzi as she ran back down court. :)
Apparently Dalce yelled "air ball" in Aaliyah's face during the game. Her coach put her on the bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love that each Husky got a miniature trophy. This team deserves to be congratulated for its resilience. Congrats Huskies! You did a masterful job!
To the best of my knowledge, the individual trophies are a new thing. I think it’s great to give each player on the winning team something they will cherish for the rest of their lives.

Reaction Score
You’re probably correct. But if UConn is not a #1, then whoever is the #1 in UConn’s bracket is going to feel like they are being punished.
I get the feeling that there will be 2 unhappy teams among the top 8 seeds. The #1 seed that must face a #2 UConn in the same bracket, and the #2 team that has to face #1 SC in the bracket. If by chance it is #1 SC vs #2 UConn in the same bracket, I am thinking both teams will simply say, "bring it on."

Reaction Score
Few Comments:
*Amazing defense by UConn during whole tournament and in this game they made everything difficult for Villanova and especially for the 2 stars.
*The offense looked real good for the first 3 quarters. In the 4th it seemed UConn was playing for time instead on pushing the ball and by that had no rhythm.
*Edwards: a beast! All American performance again! if she is not at least 2nd team AA, there is something wrong.
*Dorka: real good game again by her. Crafty and sneaky.
*Lou: i just love this player! what an amazing find is she! smart, composed and clutch.
*Nika: tough determined and a pest on defense. The floor general and leader of this team! tried a bit too hard on offense to draw fouls that just didn't materialize.
*Aubrey: missed some shots which she typically makes and seemed like something was wrong with her physically after the game with the celebrations. Hopefully, whatever it is (back?) will be worked on and fixed till the NCAA. We have no one else like her and need her!
*Azzi: such a smart player both of offense and defense. The kid just really knows basketball. Doesn't matter how many times she misses; you want her to continue shooting and then she hits 3 3's. Played a lot of minutes today and remained effective so, her conditioning is good.
*CD: gave some solid minutes and filled in at the 4 position.
*Maddie: a great great player! UConn clearly was geared to stop her and she still scores over 20 points. I believe she'll do very well in the WNBA.
*Olsen: was trying to save the game for Vilanova but shot way too many times. will be much better next season when this team is hers.
*Vilanova should be a top 16 team and host the first 2 rounds and i doubt anyone will be excited to play against them.
*Love this team! time for the NCAA and even if we don't get a 1 seed (which we should), we should be in a good position for a deep run which hopefully will end with the Championship (something that not possible only few weeks ago with the way UConn was struggling)!

Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Villanova game:
  • Through all the injuries, upsets, head scratching and predictions of disaster, UConn WBB has just won their 10th straight conference tournament convincingly….and ORDER HAS BEEN RESTORED TO THE UNIVERSE.
  • Through the years we have become accustomed to high scoring offense from UConn WBB. But the true calling card for this UConn team is DEFENSE. For the 3rd game in a row UConn’s defense was suffocating holding Nova to just 56 points on 30% shooting.
  • Siegrist is an AA, but Aaliyah plays her as tough as anyone, containing the nation’s leading scorer to 22 points on 9 for 21 shooting. Olson, Nova’s 2nd scoring option, was also held in check, primarily by Nika’s relentless defensive effort, going 3 for 19 from the floor tonight. :eek:
  • Aaliyah with yet another monster game with 19 points, 15 rebounds, a fantastic defensive effort on Siegrist and, IMO, Conference Tournament MOP and 1st Team AA.
  • I thought the contributions tonight from Lou & Dorka were tremendous. This is the last rodeo for our two wonderful grad students, and they are leaving it all on the court.
  • Azzi is still just a bit off with her shooting stroke, but everything else she does on the court is textbook, including her defense, passing and constant movement without the ball….and when she started burying 3’s in the 3rd qtr, you could feel the game slowly but surely slip away from Nova. :)
  • At this point in the season, just about every team in the country is beat up. The 9-10 days off for the Huskies prior to their first game in the Big Dance is a very much needed godsend for this team.
  • The P-5 along with the Big East are the 6 most consequential WBB conferences in the nation. With the Big12 tournament yet to be played, only the BE has seen the top 2 seeds in the final, and only SC & UConn have won their respective conference tournaments as the favorites. All the upsets of top-rated teams in the Pac12, BIG10, ACC & SEC tournaments should give the Selection Committee much to consider when making up the brackets for The Big Dance. IMO, the four #1 seeds right now should be SC, VA Tech, Iowa & UConn.
All good, except I think Indiana should be a one seed.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
To the best of my knowledge, the individual trophies are a new thing. I think it’s great to give each player on the winning team something they will cherish for the rest of their lives.

I seem to remember times in the past when they gave all the players a watch.

Reaction Score
*Maddie: a great great player! UConn clearly was geared to stop her and she still scores over 20 points. I believe she'll do very well in the WNBA.
*Olsen: was trying to save the game for Vilanova but shot way too many times. will be much better next season when this team is hers.
*Vilanova should be a top 16 team and host the first 2 rounds and i doubt anyone will be excited to play against them.
I am glad you brought this up. I was a little hesitant to steer away from our celebration of the BE championship, but really impressed with Villanova. I know people will frown at me for saying this and I sense the hate for Olsen, but I think she is an excellent player. She is a magnificent competitor who opponents love to hate. I am OK with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom