Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) This game is 120-55 if UConn is at full-strength.

2) The officiating was random and inept. The officials have no idea what a held ball is and the fourth foul on Muhl should result in someone losing a paycheck. Kid fighting concussions gets whacked in the head and it was totally cool with those nitwits. Grand.

3) Villanova is all-in on spray tans. You generally do not see that level of tan outside of Arizona State or maybe FSU.

4) Edwards‘ basket to make it 54-50 was the game.

5) That was Villanova’s best shot at beating UConn for the foreseeable future and…it did not work.

Really, really good win.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Credit to UConn's defense on Siegrist this time or did Villanova again not look to get the ball to their best player?

Lou scored 22 points on 12 shots and Siegrist scored 21 points on 22 shots. I love Siegrist btw.

The kindest thing I can say about the officiating in this game is that it was horrendous.

Very good win.

Reaction Score
First, a solid win on the road. After letting Siegrist roam for 10 early points, the team collectively did a great job defensively on her, not allowing her clean looks. Aaliyah struggled again offensively, but made up for it with her rebounding and having the primary responsibility of guarding Siegrist.

The game was not pretty as the refs wanted to stamp their imprint on the game. Lou was back in her "flow."

One peeve I had was with the announcers. IT appeared they were more interested in hearing themselves speak rather than cal the game. It was beyond annoying how they couldn't let one second pass without speaking. Is it me or did anyone else feel likewise.

Hopefully, the team can have a few breathers in the next 3 games before the BE tournament begins.

Reaction Score
The fourth foul call on Muhl was one of the worst I've ever seen. She was run over by Olsen (?) and plowed right into Siegrist, and got called for a foul instead of an offensive foul on Olsen. That's the same kind of play Fudd got hurt on, against Notre Dame.

Not to mention three different Connecticut players got hit in the face without a single foul being called.

Having said that, Connecticut played an outstanding defensive game, and a good game overall except for the absurd number of turnovers.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1) This game is 120-55 if UConn is at full-strength.

2) The officiating was random and inept. The officials have no idea what a held ball is and the fourth foul on Muhl should result in someone losing a paycheck. Kid fighting concussions gets whacked in the head and it was totally cool with those nitwits. Grand.

3) Villanova is all-in on spray tans. You generally do not see that level of tan outside of Arizona State or maybe FSU.

4) Edwards‘ basket to make it 54-50 was the game.

5) That was Villanova’s best shot at beating UConn for the foreseeable future and…it did not work.

Really, really good win.
You didn’t mention the uppercut to Aaliyah’s chin that was called a turnover

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Credit to UConn's defense on Siegrist this time or did Villanova again not look to get the ball to their best player?

Lou scored 22 points on 12 shots and Siegrist scored 21 points on 22 shots. I love Siegrist btw.

The kindest thing I can say about the officiating in this game is that it was horrendous.

Very good win.
UConn finally defended the ball instead of the player. Geno also rotated Aaliyah and Dorka on her and Maddy couldn’t see over them to go get the ball. Some fine coaching there

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Great win for UConn which practically assured them the regular season championship! Villanova is a good team and winning against them on the road with that sell out hostile croud was great.
The refs in WBB sxck...all those ticky tack fouls they called and all the hard fouls they didn't call was hard to understand.
*Why is CD head such a magnet to be hit??? poor kid! there must be a for her to play with some kind of a soft helmet...
*Lou: what an amazing player! so cool under pressure
*AE: was waiting for the Edwards the AA to show up during the last few games. Still was not it but she was fighting hard, guarding Maddy S. and did a real good job on her (remember that Maddy had 50 and 39 points her last 2 games).
*Nika: our mad Husky :) you don't want to mess with Nika but when she complained very verbally (using some choice words), the refs were quick to give her a third foul...
*Those turnovers are just crazy...they make some brain fart mistakes that cost them in having way less opportunities to shoot.
*The strong defense is really keeping UConn in games.
*Azzi, we need you!!!

Reaction Score
Great win. Liked seeing Muhl play smart while in foul trouble. Loved the composure when the momentum shifted in Q4. Very nice win for the team. Now if they can figure out the turnovers!
This team does a lot of things “wrong” if you will. But they have great chemistry, even greater heart, their one constant is defense, and they know how to win.
It is a weird dichotomy, their confidence they can make any play leads to many of the TOs, but also let’s them play with a fearlessness that leads to making plays down the stretch of close games.
Serious kudos to Edwards today; just an absolutely tremendous job on Siegrist, she was 5-7 in the1st qtr, 3-15 after that.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn held Nova to 1 point in the final 4 minutes of the Game. The game was there for Nova to take and they didn't take advantage of the opportunities they had. I was surprised that Maddy Seigrist was held to 5 in the 4th Quarter. Maddy also only had 7 points in the 2nd half. A bad shooting day for her. Aaliyah Edwards covered Maddy for most of the game and that seemed to bother Maddy. Both Nova and UConn left a lot of points on the floor and if they meet in the Big East tournament who knows which team will win.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Chris D. was just on the radio. She didn't say a bad word about the refs. Just that it was physical. 99% of the time she won't complain about it. She's a bigger person than I (LOL) She gave credit to the collective Defense on Siegrist. Some big shots at big times by some people.

Reaction Score
A hard fought victory for UConn against a tough opponent!

What went well:
1. Rebound advantage of 47 to 25.
2. Strong shooting performance from Lou.
3. Double doubles from Aaliyah and Dorka.
4. Great team defense on Maddy with particular credit going to Aaliyah and Aubrey
5. 8 assists from Nika.
6. Strong contributions from Caroline and Aubrey.
7. Free throw advantage. 17 of 26 vs. 6 of 12

What could have been better:
1. Turnovers, 22 vs. 9 for Villanova
2. Steals 4 to 12
3. Shots taken, 47 vs. 60

The team maintained good composure and moderate energy levels to pull off an important road win.

Onward to the next game. I believe no one got hurt and I hope Azzi continues to recover and will join the games soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom