Villanova Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Villanova Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
O.K. I figured it out by watching the replay. Jump ball called (Horrible call). On the ensuing inbounds play (which the TV did not show) Apparently Aubrey committed a foul on #3 so she went to the line. And, since no time went off the clock they rejected Geno's subbing in Edwards and sent her back to the bench.

The big confusion was that we did not see the foul committed before the inbound because TV was doing a replay.
I believe you are correct. It wasn't just the play-by-play announcers who misled us. The director of the telecast also did a lousy job.

Reaction Score
1. Where is the Tony Romo or Tim McCarver of NCAAW TV announcing? At the end of the game there was very little good explanation of what was going on. The coverage of the Caroline Collision missed a lot.
2. Camera work?
3. Just asking...
I hope you're kidding about Romo... the guy can't finish a thought before stumbling on to something else.

Reaction Score
With all do respect, what does any of this have to do with bad officiating?

No, that’s not it at all. The FT disparity was significantly in UConn’s favor.
This stat is mostly useless. The first five fouls, if not while shooting, do not cause a FT attempt. In theory you could have two teams with 5 files each and have a 10-0 FTA disparity. Never mind the end of regulation "fouls" from the losing team, that add to the discrepancy.

My only issue with the refs is that sometimes they called fouls close and sometimes they let the two teams play. So there was an issue with consistency.
There are whistles and there are fouls. A 3 second call is a whistle but not a foul. A charge is whistle and a foul (plus scored as a turnover). The inconsistency is not only in who gets more whistles, but what is the result of the whistle (i.e foul or turnover?). Many people who want to see fewer whistles(like myself) are not advocating for fewer fouls. Do you see the difference? I would prefer refs be loose on the nit-picky turnover violations and tight on the physicality (i.e fewer no-calls). A directive by the NCAAW to officiate in this manner, would help. IMHO. Not holding my breath.

But as for fairness, UConn came out on top of the foul situation, and if you don’t think so, watch the game again, and see who’s complaining more vociferously: Geno or Denise Dillon.
Fairness has nothing to do with it. We won and the officiating was still horrible. If UConn lost, the mantra is, "loser's whine, etc". The fact that you think it favored one team over another is proof of poor officiating. If UConn fouled Siegrist, call it. If they didn't, then the officials are poor. You agree? If Siegrist fouled a UConn player, call it. If they didn't then the officiating is poor. The idea that criticizing officials, by fans, is somehow a bad reflection on the fans is baloney, and frankly, I do not understand the posters who run to the refs defense, while ignoring what both teams fans see: bad officiating. As you state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a fan of one team, it’s difficult to watch a physical game impartially. There was a play in the 4th qtr when Maddy Siegrist was sent sprawling on the floor after getting tangled up with several Huskies. No foul was called and UConn came away with the ball.

Siegrist couldn’t believe the no-call, and Denise Dillon was beside herself on the bench. The inconsistency of the refs was experienced by both teams, and, imo, if anyone benefited, it was UConn.
Well said, Oldude. I wasn't going to say anything because of the tide of UConn fans understandably upset some of the hard hits on the Huskies weren't called. I'll add to your point that, as I watched the game and the replay, I saw quite a few times, Aaliyah got away with fouls on Maddy. In truth, both of them should have fouled out. I'm thrilled the Huskies emerged on top, but those UConn fans who saw only Villanova fouls should consider seeing the game through a more objective lens.

Reaction Score
No, that’s not it at all. The FT disparity was significantly in UConn’s favor.

My only issue with the refs is that sometimes they called fouls close and sometimes they let the two teams play. So there was an issue with consistency.

But as for fairness, UConn came out on top of the foul situation, and if you don’t think so, watch the game again, and see who’s complaining more vociferously: Geno or Denise Dillon.
If one team commits more fouls than the other team, then that free-throw “disparity” is the fault of the team committing the fouls, not the fault of the refs. And I’m sure there were a few missed calls for both teams on shots here and there. But there needs to be some sort of follow-up/repercussion for the four blatant misses by the refs: the karate-chop uppercut to AE’s chin right in front of the ref; the Siegrist smack down on Caroline’s head right in front of the ref; the mind-blowing jump ball call where Nika was mugged right in front of the ref before the ball squirted away from the scrum; and Olsen’s bulldoze of Nika into Siegrist (need I say - right in front of the ref?).

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled the Huskies emerged on top, but those UConn fans who saw only Villanova fouls should consider seeing the game through a more objective lens.
I agree with this part of your post (self included). The rest, not so much. For me, it's OK though.

edit: Actually I think Nika fouls a lot, and she also gets fouled. She is physical, so no surprise.

Reaction Score
Well said, Oldude. I wasn't going to say anything because of the tide of UConn fans understandably upset some of the hard hits on the Huskies weren't called. I'll add to your point that, as I watched the game and the replay, I saw quite a few times, Aaliyah got away with fouls on Maddy. In truth, both of them should have fouled out. I'm thrilled the Huskies emerged on top, but those UConn fans who saw only Villanova fouls should consider seeing the game through a more objective lens.
You are totally wrong about this. I’m disappointed. I’ve watched the game twice now and am more convinced than ever. Dalce should have fouled out a lot sooner, and Siegrist should have been gone midway through the 4th quarter. Olsen too. The reffing was absurd.

Your point that Aaliyah got away with fouls and should have fouled out is simply mistaken. If all the touch fouls were called, (which I don’t wish for by any means) Dalce, Olbrys, Burke and Orifel would have been gone before the end of the third quarter. Aaliyah wouldn’t have had a chance to foul out because half of Villanova’s team would already have been gone. Who’d have been left for her to foul?

As for Maddy, I know she’s one of your faves, and I respect her talent, too. But she got away with a lot today. Much more than could reasonably be blamed on Aaliyah. Call all the fouls and she’d be gone before the middle of the 4th. You want to fantasize about players fouling out? Then look a little more carefully at what the video actually shows.

Here’s my “favorite” moment: Olsen shoves Nika into Siegrist, Nika gets a foul, and the camera catches Lucy and Maddy laughing about it. They knew what was up and that they’d been getting away with murder all game.

Reaction Score
Just got back from a brisk walk after the game. Needed time to "settle down" before I post. My take;
The game started with the refs calling everything real close, I thought "well, Geno got what he asked for."
After halftime, and especially in the 4th quarter there were brutal no calls on some brutal fouls by Villanova.
Very no quit, gritty performance for the Huskies, but we expect no less by now.
Lou is a superstar, as clutch a performer as there is. I have no problem with her taking as many shot as Seigrist.
Dorka had some clutch shots, rebounds, assists, and hustled throughout the game. I like her pump fake and drive, but darn, don't stop 10 feet from the basket. Take it to the hole strong like there is absolutely no one there, even if there is!
Hope Caroline is OK, she is going to be very valuable down the stretch, and into the tournament.
Doesn't Nika ever get tired?
Edwards made some very tough shots, and strong rebounds, but seems like her confidence is not what it was.
Aubrey needs to attack all the way to the rim, strong!
Turnovers are killing the team, Geno, and me!
A great overall win and with the Utah loss the other night, should be back in the top 4!
Nika was responsible for a ton of the turnovers, which means she is tired already. And with no relief in site, it is draining.

Reaction Score
Great win. D was great. Nika showed poise after the 3rd foul.

Aubrey looks way off on both O and D and Nika with 0 points and 7 TOs, not her best effort.

What is the deal with all those tie ups when we were getting mauled?

We really need Azzi
Those tie ups are because they don’t allow the player with the ball to protect her space. Those elbows to the face used to prevent the maulings. The rules have neutered the player in possession.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The Huskies beat the #14 ranked team on the road with 6 players. I can’t believe this is the only conclusion you drew from the game

Why 6?
Could have been 8 or 9
(See my unliked comment from the last game)

This comment not based on my seeing the game...driving through a Wyoming
wind episode today...

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Griffin was in the game when the "held ball" occurred. She was chasing down the ball after it squirted out of the scrum. Since there was no replay, I'm guessing they called her for pushing a Nova player while diving for the ball. But the whistle had already blown for a held ball. VERY confusing & shame on the Fox announcers for a lack of clarification.
The ball squirted out to Caroline.

Reaction Score
With all do respect, what does any of this have to do with bad officiating?

This stat is mostly useless. The first five fouls, if not while shooting, do not cause a FT attempt. In theory you could have two teams with 5 files each and have a 10-0 FTA disparity. Never mind the end of regulation "fouls" from the losing team, that add to the discrepancy.

There are whistles and there are fouls. A 3 second call is a whistle but not a foul. A charge is whistle and a foul (plus scored as a turnover). The inconsistency is not only in who gets more whistles, but what is the result of the whistle (i.e foul or turnover?). Many people who want to see fewer whistles(like myself) are not advocating for fewer fouls. Do you see the difference? I would prefer refs be loose on the nit-picky turnover violations and tight on the physicality (i.e fewer no-calls). A directive by the NCAAW to officiate in this manner, would help. IMHO. Not holding my breath.

Fairness has nothing to do with it. We won and the officiating was still horrible. If UConn lost, the mantra is, "loser's whine, etc". The fact that you think it favored one team over another is proof of poor officiating. If UConn fouled Siegrist, call it. If they didn't, then the officials are poor. You agree? If Siegrist fouled a UConn player, call it. If they didn't then the officiating is poor. The idea that criticizing officials, by fans, is somehow a bad reflection on the fans is baloney, and frankly, I do not understand the posters who run to the refs defense, while ignoring what both teams fans see: bad officiating. As you state.
I usually agree with olddude nearly 99% of the time but not here. I'm with you. IMO the refs were a disgrace. The WCBB deserves so much better.

What was indicative of the game was in the 1st qtr I believe Edwards got called for a 3 second violation. The ref called it on her while Edwards was scampering out of the lane away from the ball in which very little was going on with UCONN's Offense on the opposite side. Instead the ref felt a need to interject. -- On the very next play it appeared Edwards was camped in the lane and drew a foul on Nova. The point isn't that the calls "evened out." It just highlights a clear picture of a ref over their head.

And as far as Siegrist complaining about a call? Ohh -please. She flopped 4 times in the game that I saw. Two of them she drew fouls on Nika. There is no way no way Nika could have knocked her to the ground on those two plays. And if the announcers were right - on another play in which Edwards got called for a foul on her from a pass that Edwards knocked out of bounds; according to the announcers she was complaining that it should be two shots as she raised her arm up and it seemed like quickly waving two fingers in the air.

Reaction Score
Doesn’t like Tony Romo? That explains a lot.
he's not alone, a lot of ppl liked Romo early on, but now it's clear how he has favorites. Josh Allen and Mahomes he got excited, Burrow did something and he got depressed. If you want to be a fanboy that's fine, but if you're going to be picking favorites then don't call the games unless you are the team's announcer.

Reaction Score
From the box score on the UConn web site (not the ESPN box score), there were some notable and somewhat concerning stats:
  • Most importantly, Villanova had 13 more field goal attempts than UConn. The turnover margin (as others have noted) was -13 (i.e., in favor of Villanova), but the offensive rebounding margin was +7 in favor of UConn. So those two stats would explain a margin of -6 (in favor of Villanova) in FGA's. But the actual margin is -13, which is hard to explain. Nonetheless, allowing an opponent 13 more FGA's in a game is something that Geno has to be concerned about. It resulted in both teams having the same number of made field goals (20) despite UConn's much higher shooting percentage.
  • For all the complaints about the referees (most of which I agree with), Villanova still committed 23 fouls to UConn's 16. That resulted in UConn taking 26 free throws to Villanova's 12, and UConn's margin of +12 made free throws was really the only reason that the Huskies won. Granted, many of those Villanova calls occurred near the end of the game and were intentional, to stop the clock.
  • I expected to hear a lot more moaning and groaning in this thread about whether Caroline re-injured herself and will need more time off, whether she should have been playing in the first place, and whether she should have been permitted to re-enter the game after the head hit. I hope someone other than her and the coaches (e.g., Janelle Francisco) gave a thumbs-up on the re-entry decision, but she appeared to play alertly and effectively after that. Now the question is whether she will have symptoms tomorrow -- hope not, obviously.
  • Maddy Siegrist's uncharacteristic shooting slump in the second half (including a couple missed free throws) was a gift to UConn, without which UConn probably would have lost this game. She was wide open for several shots that she missed.
  • Aaliyah continued to miss close-in shots, as well as 15-footers, that she has made for most of the season. But I'm inclined to give her a pass on that, given the amount of energy that she expended guarding Siegrist, and the fact that she had to play 37 minutes. I hope she gets more rest from here until the NCAA tournament starts.
The foul discrepancy was swayed by the intentional fouls at the end of the game. Had to be at least 4, with 2 shots for each.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Well my girl Nika had a very tough game today- shot 0 fer from the floor, had 7 turnovers and basically had the snot beaten out of her. Also after her second foul she lost her composure & mouthed off to the referee who promptly called her for a third as soon as possible.

On the other hand after that she calmed down and stayed in the game picking up just one more foul & ending with 8 assists.

I think having to play so many minutes finally caught up to her although I know she'd rather die than admit it.

Advice to Nika- next time the ref calls a stupid foul on you, borrow a trick from Sue Bird & pull your jersey over your mouth while you cuss him/her out!
I give a partial pass on some of the turnovers, as fouls, not called, are being committed as she's throwing a pass was a few, teammates not holding onto passes or not moving to meet the pass was a few, the "tie up" when she was fouled near the end was another. Also had 8 assists should have had more than 10, missed layups.

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned that Siegrist had two rebounds?! That’s the story of the game. Both Dorka and Aalijah, in contrast, had double doubles. The game was won on the boards.

P.s. Both Carol and Audrey had six rebounds. Total dominance on the boards.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Aubrey, WAY OFF? Come, let us see that game again! My apology for being snarky--but Aubrey in my opinion was AUBREY--and I'm amazed at the transformation from a almost bench sitter to a 3rd Star on this team. She is the Steady Eddie of Uconn Women's BB. She's the Utility player that does it all. She doesn't glow RED one day then no light at all, she gives the team what it needs when it needs that.
I love Fudd, Caroline, LOU, the number 1 picks--love em. But when the shooting gets wild I want 3 or 4 Aubery's on the court playing for me (and Uconn).
With 5 starters she is #5, the more Caroline plays the less she will, if Azzi returns less again.

Reaction Score
Looking ahead to the Big East Tournament, Marquette matches up best with us. The rebound better than Villanova or Creighton, play better defense and have the best coach. Despite the evolution of the game, match ups are still more important than previous wins and losses. They don’t score enough to go deep in the NCAAs, but are definitely a threat to us in the BE tournament.

Reaction Score
I believe you are correct. It wasn't just the play-by-play announcers who misled us. The director of the telecast also did a lousy job.
I agree. The directing of the telecast was appalling. At one point they showed a player sitting on the Villanova bench for what seemed like 45 seconds, then cut to Villanova's coach for a few more seconds, if I recall correctly. No indication was given of what was holding up play. When they finally cut back to the game, Lopez-Senechal was about to shoot free throws.

Reaction Score
In the chat room, there was actually a complaint because the UCONN players weren't smiling after the final buzzer. The conclusion was that they are depressed & totally frustrated.
I guess there should be a new box score stat for facial expressions & levels of euphoria!
I think disappointment cuts deeper when you feel like you are being cheated. GA and the team think this entire year they are being cheating game in and game out with the lack of fouls called. GA blew up once and he is almost 70. A would think that this feeling (justified or not) would cut even deeper for 20 year olds. I think this feeling is being carried over game to game without a reset button and this is more apparent with emotional players (NM for one).

I can understand that despite winning the game, they are just pissed off at the world with the way games are being officiated (justified or not) and I think they have a bigger point this year than any in recent memory. It may feel a bit deflating when they get their first foul of a game...thinking 'here we go again'.

The above can be the same way for fans on this board as well. I for one, feel a bit frustrated sometimes, thinking each game we will get hosed by a number of calls...and therefore we will need to overcome this...maybe I'm right or maybe it is the accumulation of poor officiating.

Reaction Score
With all the comments suggesting Geno substitute more, the tenacity and physical fitness of this team sometimes appears to be overlooked. In virtually every game, UConn has a strong Q4. Yesterday's game was a good example where it was Villanova that seemed worn down, Siegrist and Olson missing shots they had made the entire game, Edwards bulling her way to rebounds, etc. Special team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom