Villanova post game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to be honest; we left our seats right after Dorka missed that all alone lay-up with about 6 minutes left. Just couldn't take watching it anymore. First time in 25 years we didn't stay until the final buzzer! Refused to listen to the game on the radio on the ride home. Flipped on post-game show and see Huskies lost by 3. Wow, watched the highlights and was amazed at the finish. Why did it take so long for the passion? I thought they were flat, defense stunk, rebounding was non-existent, with hands of stone. Villanova was outstanding, great sets, very hard cuts, boxing out, and terrific shooting. We were sitting on floor, and Olivia did not look well. Best part of the night, $75 in $5 Dunkin Donut Gift Cards which they were passing out as you entered arena. They were giving out handfuls of them. Not a complete loss of a night!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bizarre, just freaking bizarre. This whole season has been bizarre. I've never seen anything like it. I made a "joke" (a very poor one as it turns out) that CFD would be ok to play, but ha-ha, someone unexpected would be out. Just shoot me now.

We shoot 50% from 3 (on 20 shots) only have 10 turnovers.....and lose. We go mano a mano with the best rebounding team in the nation and then get out rebounded 37-21 by a team with no one over 6-1 playing. Our 6-5 and 6-3 players play 50 minutes and combine, combine for 2 rebounds. 2. You can't even make stuff like this up.

Just freaking bizarre. I'm not even mad....just too bizarre to be upset.

Reaction Score
First conference loss in how many games? 160+ I'm guessing.
That's a pretty significant milestone.
Games have a winner and a loser. Someone had to break the 160 record, they haven't it is just the beginning of another trek to another record. I don't know of a single fan in the last 5 or 30 years that has bragged about that record. Everyone rants on the FF's and NC's. I'll hold back my tears until then (I'll never see that day).

Reaction Score
-Rebounds: Villanova 42 UCONN: 22
-Wasting time late by dribbling(pass+shoot)
-Telegraphing passes
Agree--the rebounding disparity was astounding! You can attribute this to hustle and desire.

Reaction Score
Not a bad loss with 3/5ths of your starters missing and Villanova shooting lights out. I didn't think UCONN was ready this year. I changed my mind. Add Paige, Ducharme and ONO and I don't see anyone volunteering to invite UCONN to play in their bracket. I just saw fatigue from the tip. You just can't play the defense you want with 6 players...no matter what your heart wants.
Your comment about defense short handed is spot on, besides the energy factor, staying out of foul trouble is a very real concern.
Uconn played a good portion of the game with 4 guards and Edwards in foul trouble; Dorka was obviously hobbled but game. The criticism of her in the chat room was second only to Ono in classlessness.
Uconn showed no quit and stretching the game and fighting like crazy in the 4th will serve them well later on IMO. They showed great character and Auriemma coached a great 4th quarter, which has been a knock on him in close games in the past. As the saying goes, they didn’t lose, they just ran out of time.

Reaction Score
Is it possible the big east could sneak Uconn, Depaul, Marquette, Villanova, and Creighton into the tournament? I doubt all 5 but that would be a major feat for the Big East.

Reaction Score
Azzi has the lowest turnover rate per minute of anyone on the team. Put the ball in Azzi's hands. It's really a no brainer. She will get more shots and turn it over less and feed Paige, Liv, Christyn and Caroline well. Mistake free basketball is like mistake free football. It's huge. When Paige gets back they can swap off. Paige has a low turnover rate plus high assist rate. Both can score. This should be one of the best offensive teams in the country when healthy and if they also defend well and don't turn it over we can overcome a lot. We normally are at least in the ballpark rebounding.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If Geno had worn a dress shirt and sport jacket that would have been worth 4 points in our favor. Just sayin’.
And 2 assistants looking like just rolled out of bed. Nope that wasn't it.

Reaction Score
I do think Nova deserves a lot of credit. Maddy didn't even really go off, though she played well. They had multiple people make shots, off the dribble. 4 players in double figures.
I can't lie, I'm a bit disappointed with the result. I do realize that the team has been through a lot, and missing ONO and Caroline is pretty tough.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The best news from today was that 2 of our top 5 players played GREAT and the other 3 were on the bench. When everyone is back they should still be very nasty....

Stats updated already. Check out Azzi and Christyn:

Great? How many missed short shots? Nobody played even good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom