Villanova post game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just when we thought things we gonna get better 3 starters on the bench. Its tuff to win like that....again. Azzi and Christyn were terrific great and answered the call. A great comeback that fell short. Its been a tuff season and we can only hope it gets better. Yeah there are alot of things we couldve done better but we didnt. What about everybody else? We need to get healthy and healthy on Friday against Depaul.

Reaction Score
First off, congrats to Villanova. They must be thrilled.

For me, I'm sort of Zen about this. The season has been SO hard - so many injuries, illnesses, missed games, changes, etc. I hardly think there is another team in the country who has been hit as hard as we have with all the issues. No Paige and no Aubrey. No Caroline was known, but no Olivia? It apparently was too much for the team tonight. We've not had any consistency with who practices, and then who is available to play for almost any game. Constantly changing.

Just chalk it up to a rough game, bad loss, whatever. Nova is no slouch. Azzi and Christyn were ballers, but other than that, a frustrating game from the rest of the team. We made a nice run in Q4, but the game was too far out of hand at that point. We needed more of Q's 2 and 4 and less of Q's 1 and 3...

BTW, Azzi is flat out a stud. And her demeanor - cool as the other side of the pillow!

So, on to the next game. Let's hope those who were out get better soon, and Paige can't return soon enough! ;)
Lousy game! We are a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde team. How can we look so good against Tenn and so lousy against Villanova. Outside of Azzi and CW,the rest of the team was horrible. villanova guards killed us with their 3 point shooting. Poor defensive effort on our part. We came out flat and the play in the first period was terrible. we only had 7 points until a last minute spurt gave us 15. Final score was deceiving given we were down in the high double digits for a significant part of the game.

Reaction Score
Bad game, ugly loss, not much to say. Nice fight at the end.
CW and Azzi with a very solid games. I think Dorka is still injured.

While I certainly didnt expect this, I'm surprised that people are so surprised. There have been 2 consistencies all year, and folks are continually shocked when they happen again.
1) injuries/illness/etc
2) inconsistent play

Maybe folks will stop talking about who they'd rather play in the final 4, and understand that pretty much anything could happen in the NCAAT.

And everyone who made up the "Ono could play she just chose not to" bullcrap without a shred of evidence should be ashamed of themselves. If you've got some proof, then present it. Otherwise STFU.
She is in obvious pain I hope she is ok

Reaction Score
We could have used Caitlin Clark.
Judging is hard as the injuries and illness have gone into the twilight zone with this team.
Our players who have been inconsistent were inconsistent tonight and they are playing way too many minutes.
One question, when Nika is having a poor game, why are we always giving her the ball to run the offense. We had two players who could make a basket tonight, CW and AZ. Just give them the ball and get out their way. AE with the ball is a total waste too.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
A reminder that chat room posts can be Reported. A certain decorum is required and a poster can be banned for outrageous behavior there
And once your presence in the chat room was made, I thought a few of those posting "stuff" changed their tune.

Reaction Score
Outrebounded 37 to 21 and I think we got 4 of them in the last minute of the game. They had 8 more offensive rebounds as a shorter team. When the other team throws up 3 pointers and they miss often the rebound is long and to a guard, and we are not getting those rebounds. A continuing problem. Plus they shot out of their mind. Every starter shot at least 50%.

Couldn't see the 2nd half but the 1st half was God awful. I guess with 3 of our best players out and the other team playing insanely well this sort of thing can happen. Apparently a solid comeback attempt.

There is nothing wrong with this team that getting everyone back healthy doesn't fix. We need to give Azzi 30 plus minutes no matter who needs to sit and I still doesn't understand why we can't just play her at point guard until Paige returns. 1 turnover, 2 blocks, 3 steals and 29 points. I can't believe there is anyone left who doesn't see that she, Caroline, Paige, Liv and Christyn need to play. This should have been a good game for Dorka but since I couldn't see it I'm assuming she is still hurt some.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But I still think UConn can be #2 seed in the Bridgeport Region, because none of the teams above you are infallible. NC State and Louisville will play multiple times. No one in the Big 12 looks like a clear #2 seed. Tennessee is in free-fall. And there's a fair amount of parity in the B1G Ten. Win out, get everyone healthy, be dominant in the Big East tournament, and I still think it's possible. The committee will know just how short-staffed UConn was tonight and will discount accordingly.
The committee is going to have a real mess on its hands trying to weigh UConn's (ahem) uneven results against the constantly shifting kaleidoscope of player availability. That's assuming, of course, that we get Bueckers, Ducharme and Olivia back and look like a better team in the BE tournament than what we've shown for the past 2 months now.

Reaction Score
I mean, what is anyone supposed to take away from this game? No question it's a W with Olivia on the floor. Her defense and boards would have made all the difference. So it was a glorified practice - Villnova vs. half of UConn - and hopefully they learned some things. Nice for Azzi to get some good minutes on the floor. If the other players come back, this team goes deep, if they don't come back then they're out early! Not much more to it.

Reaction Score
The lineup if all healthy before Paige returns
CW….Azzi….Ono….Caroline and either Dorka or Edwards
Muhl turned the ball over several times at the start of the game…. Against good teams she is a liability on offense and her Defense not enough to compensate for that hole.
In fairness this team cannot dictate defensively like past teams….still hopefully if Paige returns at the end of the month.,, the team will return to UCONN being UCONN. And yes Ono and Caroline would have helped the team to win tonight.
No disrespect to any player just the obvious…
I still believe if all healthy in March we will go to Final Four and I like our chances….many times adversity creates opportunity….

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I’m disappointed UConn lost, I can’t get perturbed. On par with this season, UConn got beat by a team that was prepared to catch them off guard and make the most of their opportunity. Give Villanova props. They’re not concerned in the least that UConn was undermanned. They played to win and out hustled UConn.

What is concerning is the lack of consistency, game from game for certain players. After the UT win, I felt certain the team had turned the corner on adversity and were ready to go on a roll. Yet Edwards, Westbrook & Muhl vaguely resembled the players from Sunday.

On a brighter note, Azzi is starting to display her complete game, taking it to the basket, looking for the ball and reliably taking a quality shot each time. Eventually, the pieces of the puzzle will appear, and UConn will be the juggernaut we’ve all anticipate. I just don’t know if it will be this year.

Reaction Score
From a heated rival team's fan's perspective, y'all did well with what you had, and so many pieces out. Really admirable. And I'm still miffed we didn't get Fudd!

But I still think UConn can be #2 seed in the Bridgeport Region, because none of the teams above you are infallible. NC State and Louisville will play multiple times. No one in the Big 12 looks like a clear #2 seed. Tennessee is in free-fall. And there's a fair amount of parity in the B1G Ten. Win out, get everyone healthy, be dominant in the Big East tournament, and I still think it's possible. The committee will know just how short-staffed UConn was tonight and will discount accordingly.
I still think this team will be tougher in the end through all of this. The past few years they were never tested or had any adversity, this year they’ve seen it all.

JBK

Reaction Score
A tough loss. Team needs to move on and prepare for DePaul. Lesson here is to play with the energy they had at the very end. The same energy earlier on in the game would have put pressure on the other team and made it harder for their 3’s to fall. They had too many open shots early on and beat us

Reaction Score
While a lot to comment on, my biggest issue this evening was UConn not guarding the 3 point shooter. The other night, Chris Daley had the same issue but in the 2nd half, made sure we didn't unnecessarily double the low post, leaving the shooter at the key open. This isn't a hard concept, but it never got addressed throughout the game tonight.

Reaction Score
Not a bad loss with 3/5ths of your starters missing and Villanova shooting lights out. I didn't think UCONN was ready this year. I changed my mind. Add Paige, Ducharme and ONO and I don't see anyone volunteering to invite UCONN to play in their bracket. I just saw fatigue from the tip. You just can't play the defense you want with 6 players...no matter what your heart wants.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
From a heated rival team's fan's perspective, y'all did well with what you had, and so many pieces out. Really admirable. And I'm still miffed we didn't get Fudd!

Wow!!! I can't believe that a UConn fan gave you a Dislike. UFB!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was mentioned that Geno turned Paige loose on the team prior to the 4th qtr. She gave the Huskies an earful and they proceeded to outscore Nova 24-10 in the 4th qtr. Maybe Geno's on to something?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
People don't realize what it does to a team when 2-3 key players are out every game. And often it happens at game time. It's REALLY hard to make adjustments when you game plan with their presence in mind. There os a LONG way to go in this season. Good things are ahead! The adversity trials will be rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom