Villanova post game thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Villanova game was over when we went down by 20, despite the intense heroics in the last two minutes, which no one really believed were going to matter.
GUARANTEED the players thought it mattered and theirs is the only belief that matters. They were still trying their utmost to win the game.
Not aimed at you personally at all, but second guessing after the fact and disparaging any and all opponents are art forms on this board. Nova didn’t care Uconn was short handed, their celebration after the game was evident how much beating the most storied program in WBB meant to them. They brought their A game and hung on, Uconn played less than their best game but showed their tremendous character by never quitting and almost making a miraculous comeback.
Lost in all the “criticism” of Uconn coaches and players is the fact that besides playing short handed, Uconn played from behind the whole game against a team playing very well and hitting their shots. That is extremely taxing mentally; they faced a 15 point deficit in the 1st quarter, came back to get within striking distance only to fall behind by 19 in the 3rd but had the fight and intestinal fortitude to keep fighting and lose by 3.
Many can criticize to their hearts content, I came away admiring the heck out of all 6 players that hit the court.

Reaction Score
I will only say this. I don't think we should lambast any players or our team but I also do not think we should make any excuses either. Last night was about effort, hustle, boxing out, defending and playing together and the extent thereof. Suprises, shorthandedness, or setbacks should not effect effort.
i could have answered one of many posts citing lack of effort but I just did not see it. I understand you differ and that is OK, but the effort was there IMO, the results were not.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
For anyone who really remembers our history this information won't surprise anybody.

In 2002-03 and in 2003-04 Villanova beat us twice in consecutive meetings. One of those was in the BIG EAST Tournament.

In 2002-03 and in 2003-04 UCONN did NOT win the Big East Tournament

Diana Taurasi was a Junior and Senior during those years.

Few people remember how bad we looked in those losses - Why? Because we went on to win National Championships BOTH years.

Reaction Score
i could have answered one of many posts citing lack of effort but I just did not see it. I understand you differ and that is OK, but the effort was there IMO, the results were not.
Question-Was Villanova’s starting 5 superior in talent to UCONN’s starting 5 last night?
If yes, that’s the reason for the outcome.

Reaction Score
Question-Was Villanova’s starting 5 superior in talent to UCONN’s starting 5 last night?
If yes, that’s the reason for the outcome.
That is a paper analysis that infers the players are robots that should perform equally game in and game out. IMO it shows a decided ignorance of the essence of sports, any given night. Sports would have no allure to me if results were remotely that easy to explain.

Reaction Score
For anyone who really remembers our history this information won't surprise anybody.

In 2002-03 and in 2003-04 Villanova beat us twice in consecutive meetings. One of those was in the BIG EAST Tournament.

In 2002-03 and in 2003-04 UCONN did NOT win the Big East Tournament

Diana Taurasi was a Junior and Senior during those years.

Few people remember how bad we looked in those losses - Why? Because we went on to win National Championships BOTH years.
Bingo! This right here!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And we don't really have anyone that will take that interior defensive presence next year, unless you think Yanna will be like a Brianna Turner type player as a freshman...
I'm guessing that Geno believes that both Amari and Piath improve so that they can do what Liv has been doing.

Reaction Score
He seemed more surprised than pissed. Chris said on her post-game show that she learned about it during player intros. Not sure whom Liv told.

Is what it is. I doubt we hear what Geno thinks about it unless Liv says something. It was Stef who told the media (months later) what Geno thought about her not playing in the St John’s game in 2013.
i thought he was not thrilled

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I watched a game between the US team and a far less talented team in the qualifying round of the Olympics. The US team, which started DT, Sue Bird, Maya, Tina, and Britney Griner, was falling behind, because they were excelling only at turnovers. Geno called timeout and DT addressed the team. She said that we are the best in the world, but we are trying to run all these complicated plays and we stink (DT probably said something more colorful). Let's just do one simple play over and over, until they prove they can stop us. They went on to demolish the opponent. My point is that these were the best players in the world, but they needed to find a way to work as a team. UCONN, last night, had very talented players on the court, but they didn't work well as a team, because they didn't have time to adapt and they didn't have DT.

Reaction Score
The key word there is “maybe”! You don’t know what would have happened if Geno had played them (Amari and Piath) for five or six minutes. I’m not going to second guess Geno here because I think there is probably a deeper reason why he didn’t play them, but I do agree that, at least from our (fan) perspective, it’s puzzling why they didn’t get a look in a game where our two bigs managed two total rebounds between them!
Yes "maybe." Which is why I used it. I answered the question that was posed as to why and gave my opinion.

And I agree with those fans perspectives that felt that it isn't puzzling why they didn't get a look. SO it's nice some other fans mightwant to see it. Well some of us really don't. I'm assuming those thta agreed with me felt there is a good chance things would have been much worse.

Just as you point out "I don't know." Neither does anyone that wanted it. As a result "you don't know that it might have made things worse" also.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pretty hard to believe they could have done worse than 2 rebounds!
The post players needed to do more than rebound - they needed to defend and work within the offense. Since the goal was to get Azzi open, do Amari and Piath know enough about the motion offense for the pick and roll or give and go? Can they pass well? Can they switch on defense?

It’s not just about grabbing a rebound

Reaction Score
That is a paper analysis that infers the players are robots that should perform equally game in and game out. IMO it shows a decided ignorance of the essence of sports, any given night. Sports would have no allure to me if results were remotely that easy to explain.
You’re 100% right.
Preparation, focus, pride, talent and coaching have nothing to do with it.
Nor 11 ‘past’ championships.
Just roll the dice and take yer chances.
Yeah, that’s the ticket....
Sounds like that’s yer excuse...

Reaction Score
Seemed like the 68.!% 3 pt shooting was against a man to man for the most part, why wasn't that effective, could a zone have provided better protection against man to man drives and strong offensive rebounding have been worse???? We need to change up our defensive look from time to time if the original look isn't working???? Give the opponent something to respond to.
Sometimes it's what you give that you get.
But UCONN only allowed them 22 shots from 3. Your defense would encourage the 68% to continue with even more shots. from 3.

I do think they sometimes did play zone. I could be mistaken but i think they did anyway.

SO unless someone has some other data - think of it this way: Nova's fg% total was 29-56 from the floor. They were 10-22 from 3 (EFG% 68.18%) and they were 19-34 from 2 (EFG% 55.88% from 2). Add in that most of their ftts were probably not 3's (4-12) - it's not even close in terms of efficiency which you should be giving up.

The last you want to do is keep encouraging more shots than just 22 at 68.18% efficiency which a zone would have done.

Reaction Score
Which time?
If I'm not mistaken, Centerstream and Vowelguy, the discussion was about worst beatings for UConn, and someone noted the bad loss to Oregon. My question, 'which time?' would seem valid, since the Huskies have lost badly to Oregon twice in recent seasons. Correct?

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I watched a game between the US team and a far less talented team in the qualifying round of the Olympics. The US team, which started DT, Sue Bird, Maya, Tina, and Britney Griner, was falling behind, because they were excelling only at turnovers. Geno called timeout and DT addressed the team. She said that we are the best in the world, but we are trying to run all these complicated plays and we stink (DT probably said something more colorful). Let's just do one simple play over and over, until they prove they can stop us. They went on to demolish the opponent. My point is that these were the best players in the world, but they needed to find a way to work as a team. UCONN, last night, had very talented players on the court, but they didn't work well as a team, because they didn't have time to adapt and they didn't have DT.
They didn't have ONO who is essential, eh?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
After are starters theses a big gap in UConn playtime. Are starters are that good and its tuff for non starters to get playtime. It will get worse the next 2 years. UConn has so many players ranked in the top 15 its hard to get playtime. Look at some of the kids that have left. Lexie Gordon at Duke Mir McClean at Virginia how bout Courtney Eckmark at AZ or AZ St. Theyve all done pretty well. They couldnt get time at UConn because eveybody ahead of them is so good. At UConn we have 3 HS number 1's A HS number 2 A few others ranked in the top 15 plus some international players. Its tuff to get playtime. Next season we have ICE and Patterson ranked in the top 5 both bigs then the following season we have KK and Shade ranked in the top 10. How do you get anybody really good to come to UConn when they know they may not get off the bench? They can go somewhere else and play even start. As good as UConn starters are if Geno wants really good backup players he has to get them minutes. It aint easy.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Centerstream and Vowelguy, the discussion was about worst beatings for UConn, and someone noted the bad loss to Oregon. My question, 'which time?' would seem valid, since the Huskies have lost badly to Oregon twice in recent seasons. Correct?
But this thread is about our current team and season. So your question does not seem valid, to me at least.

Reaction Score
You call that effort? Look at the stats. We were out rebounded 37-21 yet they didn't have a player taller than 6'-1" and we had one 6'-3" and one 6'-5". On the offensive glass they got 12 and we got 4. What is necessary to get defensive rebounds to prevent offensive rebounds from the other team? Boxing out which takes effort. How about the loose balls? How about the 4 offensive rebounds in a row? It's called hustle which takes effort. If we had the effort as you posit, then why was the last quarter so different from the first 3? Look at the scoring in the 3rd quarter. That was lack of effort plain and simple. We took 5 more shots in the fourth quarter due to effort and hustle and defense. At a 40% FG clip, that's 4 more points a quarter for the first 3 and we win by 9 on that stat alone. They woke up in the fourth quarter, got the ball to Azzi and played good, energetic defense which is effort with a capital E but it was too late. There is no spin to put on this to call it something it wasn't. It was the most un-UCONN game I have seen in memory and unfortunately no excuses can spin that performance into anything other than what it was.

Reaction Score
But this thread is about our current team and season. So your question does not seem valid, to me at least.
Okay, I could go with that, although there were references to other pre-'21-22 season games. Oh, well, not that important.

Reaction Score
The lineup if all healthy before Paige returns
CW….Azzi….Ono….Caroline and either Dorka or Edwards
Muhl turned the ball over several times at the start of the game…. Against good teams she is a liability on offense and her Defense not enough to compensate for that hole.
In fairness this team cannot dictate defensively like past teams….still hopefully if Paige returns at the end of the month.,, the team will return to UCONN being UCONN. And yes Ono and Caroline would have helped the team to win tonight.
No disrespect to any player just the obvious…
I still believe if all healthy in March we will go to Final Four and I like our chances….many times adversity creates opportunity….
Agree, but I look at this as more of a Geno issue. Muhl is the best point guard we have at the moment. She plays at full speed the entire game but sometimes does not match up well against quick players or certain defenses. Was loose with the ball early in the game and her inability to drive or create her own offense really hurt in the 4th quarter. Geno knew injuries happen and did not recruit another point guard so hard to criticism Muhl when she plays as hard as possible but gets outmatched. I die with every loss but try to stop worrying about the season and hope to see the true Huskie team in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Shout out to Nova! They ran their stuff (cuts, picks, screens) and shot lights out. I couldn’t decipher who was Steph and who was Klay tonight. Nova hustled for offensive rebounds and 50/ 50 balls and they took advantage of UCONN’s very short bench. Get some rest ladies and come out strong on Friday against Depaul.
We always get the most focus and best game from every team, but we have seen some of the best competitive coaching this year that I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom