Villanova and St. John's games postponed... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Villanova and St. John's games postponed...

C

Chief00

Is there anything more you could give us towards that? That would really really suck.
You play the games this year any time you can get them in, with the team you have. I think James definitely wants to play, his advisers are perhaps thinking, he’s a lottery lock, so why mess that up when he could have a couple of bad games dusting off the rust and being doubled teamed, never mind there’s always a chance of injury. Chief doesn’t like that mindset but one could argue it’s not bad advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Why everyone isn’t thrilled by this is beyond me. We need one more non big east game to be tourney eligible. This allows us to get healthy. Take the blessing

Reaction Score
You play the games this year any time you can get them in, with the team you have. I think James definitely wants to play, his advisers are perhaps thinking, he’s a lottery lock, so why mess that up when he could have a couple of bad games dusting off the rust and being doubled teamed, never mind there’s always a chance of injury. Chief doesn’t like that mindset but one could argue it’s not bad advice.
Thanks for elaborating. Hard to imagine his determination to continue to play with his brothers whom he has bonded with being overcome by advice from his advisors but I suppose when talking about that kind of money, you never know.
I think he comes back soon to play with his teammates. Can’t see him missing out on a tournament opportunity and more team bonding

Reaction Score
Would be a shame if bouk was healthy and decides against playing again. Especially because it’s not like he’d be coming off the type of injury you would have to worry about him further injuring. If he’s himself he doesn’t hurt his draft stock at all

C

Chief00

Would be a shame if bouk was healthy and decides against playing again. Especially because it’s not like he’d be coming off the type of injury you would have to worry about him further injuring. If he’s himself he doesn’t hurt his draft stock at all
Again, he wants to play. He loves the game and brothers. But, keep in mind you and I don’t have millions of dollars sitting on top of the draft table - some of his advisers don’t want something to happen that would tip that table over. I don’t like it and his college career is far from a body of work - but let’s remember he’s the first Dam Break kid and I will always be grateful for that. Danny now will have an NBA narrative as recruiter - first Dam Break kid becomes lottery pick. So it may not be all good but lots of it is. Chief’s advice is to play but as usual Chief has a player’s back and they know that. Hopefully at the end he goes with playing because as Chief said, that’s what baller’s do.

Reaction Score
They’re saying we can not test our way out because the virus may show up a week later. It’s idiotic but I will take it if it allows us to get healthy.
It's not idiotic. It's the proper course of action based on what is known at this time. One can be exposed to the virus, get infected, but not develop a large enough viral load to show up on tests for several days.

This type of basic information has been all over the place lately. You have little excuse for not knowing it, and much less excuse for posting strong opinions on the topic if you happened to miss the information. Of course, it's also possible that you are aware of the science, and you simply think it's idiotic to delay a basketball game for the sake of the health and lives of other people. So tell us, are you a pompous ignoramus, or a sociopath?

P.S. My frustration here is the product of the conversation in general, and not specific to you. Your post just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back this morning. Sorry you happened to bear the brunt of my rant.

Reaction Score
Again, he wants to play. He loves the game and brothers. But, keep in mind you and I don’t have millions of dollars sitting on top of the draft table - some of his advisers don’t want something to happen that would tip that table over. I don’t like it and his college career is far from a body of work - but let’s remember he’s the first Dam Break kid and I will always be grateful for that. Danny now will have an NBA narrative as recruiter - first Dam Break kid becomes lottery pick. So it may not be all good but lots of it is. Chief’s advice is to play but as usual Chief has a player’s back and they know that. Hopefully at the end he goes with playing because as Chief said, that’s what baller’s do.
Couldn't Bouknight take out insurance against his NBA earning potential? Or does that violate NCAA amateur status?

Reaction Score
There also really no precedent for healthy players sitting out in basketball. I mean most football players will sit out a bowl game to protect from injury, but not half the season.

Reaction Score
They’re saying we can not test our way out because the virus may show up a week later. It’s idiotic but I will take it if it allows us to get healthy.
Then we'll play one game and get shutdown again. ?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"Under the current rules, only the top four picks are decided by the lottery, and are chosen from the 14 teams that do not make the playoffs."

I'm not sure the sample size is large enough at current to definitively say that Bouknight is a "lottery" pick, let alone top 4. Looks like the most current Mock from NBA Draft dot net has him going to Cleveland at 15.

While #15 is solidly in the 1st round, it is an 8 seed in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
There also really no precedent for healthy players sitting out in basketball. I mean most football players will sit out a bowl game to protect from injury, but not half the season.
Actually didn’t Jamar Chase opt out of this season? Covid related but he will still be #1 receiver off the board. he wasnt Going to help his draft stockmuch by playing.

I‘d love to see Bouk back, but if the odds are better that he hurts his draft position rather than improving it by playing....it’s not a stupid decision long term. Being a top 15 pick is a pretty good place to be

Reaction Score
Actually didn’t Jamar Chase opt out of this season? Covid related but he will still be #1 receiver off the board. he wasnt Going to help his draft stockmuch by playing.

I‘d love to see Bouk back, but if the odds are better that he hurts his draft position rather than improving it by playing....it’s not a stupid decision long term
Chase, Gregory Rosseau from Miami, Penai Sewell from Oregon, Micah Parsons from Penn State, Rashawn Slater from Northwestern all opted out and are being mocked in the top 10-15 picks this year

Reaction Score
I actually feel he will be back.
#1 He started the season with the intention of playing through, and its not like he was playing soft either. He took ALOT of contact.
#2 If he does stay out, I think that raises more red flags or concerns about his injury. If he comes back and plays safely with no risk of injuring anything worse, then that would actually calm scouts who want to see if the injury affected his play.
#3 If he opts to sit and is healthy, that could potentially raise questions about his attitude/character, which for the record, I don't see him doing this, and don't believe its in his DNA to do so.

Reaction Score

I‘d love to see Bouk back, but if the odds are better that he hurts his draft position rather than improving it by playing....it’s not a stupid decision long term. Being a top 15 pick is a pretty good place to be
This year many players opted out because of covid. I guess you could make the argument that it was an excuse but I doubt it. It hadn’t happened really ever before.
why are the odds he hurts his draft stock by playing? The kid has continually improved and basketball more than any other sport gives kids a big boost from the tournament.

Reaction Score
This is stupid, if Zion Williamson came back and played, Bouk can & will play.

Basketball players play basketball and great players get drafted because of the way they play basketball = the best way to ensure that Bouk makes money playing basketball is in fact by playing basketball.

Reaction Score
This year many players opted out because of covid. I guess you could make the argument that it was an excuse but I doubt it. It hadn’t happened really ever before.
why are the odds he hurts his draft stock by playing? The kid has continually improved and basketball more than any other sport gives kids a big boost from the tournament.
I think Covid gives an athlete viable cover for not playing and minimizes risk....both from the virus and injury...If you are already a top 10 pick...what do you have to gain by playing?

I'm not saying Bouk will hurt his draft stock, I'm just thinking it's possible. He's been ranked in the high single digits (8/9 maybe?). He can't go any higher than #1, but he can go a lot lower. What if he comes back, is rusty, playing a little tentative after the injury?

I hope he comes back, but if I was his advisor, I would tell him he really needs to consider the +/- of playing/not playing.

Reaction Score
I think Covid gives an athlete viable cover for not playing and minimizes risk....both from the virus and injury...If you are already a top 10 pick...what do you have to gain by playing?

I'm not saying Bouk will hurt his draft stock, I'm just thinking it's possible. He's been ranked in the high single digits (8/9 maybe?). He can't go any higher than #1, but he can go a lot lower. What if he comes back, is rusty, playing a little tentative after the injury?

I hope he comes back, but if I was his advisor, I would tell him he really needs to consider the +/- of playing/not playing.
I don’t think anything you are saying is wrong at all. I also know It’s much easier for me to say yes come back because it’s not my money lol. I just think as a competitive kid you should want to continue playing especially if there isn’t a chance of reinjury. It’s kind of a defeatist attitude by his advisors to be like don’t come back it can only get worse for your draft stock.
I also think the longer he is out he could start to slip a little bit in these mock drafts.

Reaction Score
Why everyone isn’t thrilled by this is beyond me. We need one more non big east game to be tourney eligible. This allows us to get healthy. Take the blessing

Because they need more game experience, and it isn't like they don't have injury exposure from practice. (Polley's eye, Jackson's wrist)

Reaction Score
It’s kind of a defeatist attitude by his advisors to be like don’t come back it can only get worse for your draft stock.
I also think the longer he is out he could start to slip a little bit in these mock drafts
I totally agree....but good advisors need to look at the downside...As I always tell people, the #1 job of my financial advisor is not to lose money...making money is great but not loosing is more important.

Guessing good agents/advisors/coaches have better intel than ESPN reporters on where he stands and if he is slipping. Wasn't an injury in HS why he wasn't ranked higher?

Reaction Score
I totally agree....but good advisors need to look at the downside...As I always tell people, the #1 job of my financial advisor is not to lose money...making money is great but not loosing is more important.

Guessing good agents/advisors/coaches have better intel than ESPN reporters on where he stands and if he is slipping. Wasn't an injury in HS why he wasn't ranked higher?
His advisors and me clearly have different goals lol.
times have clearly changed but I look at what jaylen waddle did to come back for the national championship game and hobble around because he wanted to be out there and then IF bouk is completely healthy not to play because he might drop a spot or two in the draft just doesn’t add up for me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom