Verducci Demoted | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Verducci Demoted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco made the decision on Sunday. Nice job by Matt getting this up so quick. Good listen.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...BYers whine endlessly about play calling, and yet when Diaco makes a change, they whine about the choice to call plays. When it is suggested that Lane Kiffen (or similar) are not exactly available, people say, well no...not him of course. :confused: Then who????

Can we wait and see what the BLEEP the offense does on Friday before making any judgments? You wanted a change. You got a change.
Arm chair QB nation!!!!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Well, maybe I will go to the game now. Gotta see what the new OC calls. Also interested in who the QB will be.

You think Corley is changing QB's?
Who do you think they are giving the snaps to?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I said it in another thread that I had the sense that Diaco was finally feeling the heat underneath his "culo" and that we could expect a different outcome on Friday. I made that statement prior to hearing about the OC move, and it reinforces my feelings about this upcoming game.

Good luck to Coach Corley, and let's eat some owls...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
My turn -

Maybe we should trade Noel Thomas for like the QB Francois at Florida State. Gives the Seminoles a boost toward ACC run this year with Noel and stocks UConn QB position for next couple of years. Win Win.

Reaction Score
You think Corley is changing QB's?
Who do you think they are giving the snaps to?
No clue. But Diaco mentioned the possibility yesterday or today. Or lets put it this way. He said he would not rule it out.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
No clue. But Diaco mentioned the possibility yesterday or today. Or lets put it this way. He said he would not rule it out.
You have watched a lot of games...who is the other option at play, in your mind?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
FootballScoop

>>UConn: running backs coach / director of player engagement David Corley will take over offensive coordinator duties.

This is no knock on Corley, as maybe he is the next Bill Walsh from all I know.

But did we really just promote our director of player engagement to offensive coordinator? He goes from scheduling our bye week "team building activity" to calling all of our offensive plays?:confused:

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'd like to see some short quick passes, slants and screens. Try to make better use of BS and our occasionally porous line. Maybe roll him out and get him on the move. Get Newsome the ball using inside screens. Decrease the amount of deeper throws given our propensity not to complete them. Maybe some misdirection plays i.e. roll right throw left. We have to give the D something to think about besides stacking the box.
I think Poindexter gets a bit of a pass since it was stated by someone in this thread that Diaco plans the defensive strategy. Can't really blame AP for carrying out BD's plan.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is no knock on Corley, as maybe he is the next Bill Walsh from all I know.

But did we really just promote our director of player engagement to offensive coordinator? He goes from scheduling our bye week "team building activity" to calling all of our offensive plays?:confused:

He's also been a positional coach for three years, and held the "Passing Game Coordinator" title when Diaco plucked him from W&M.

Not saying this guy is the answer, but just wanted to clarify that we are indeed putting a football coach in the OC spot...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I'd like to see some short quick passes, slants and screens. Try to make better use of BS and our occasionally porous line. Maybe roll him out and get him on the move. Get Newsome the ball using inside screens. Decrease the amount of deeper throws given our propensity not to complete them. Maybe some misdirection plays i.e. roll right throw left. We have to give the D something to think about besides stacking the box.
I think Poindexter gets a bit of a pass since it was stated by someone in this thread that Diaco plans the defensive strategy. Can't really blame AP for carrying out BD's plan.
A slant pattern would be a nice change up.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Well, maybe I will go to the game now. Gotta see what the new OC calls. Also interested in who the QB will be.
The 2-deep is out and is the same as last week. No personnel changes yet.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Does Verducci get his salary reduced on a demotion?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Does Verducci get his salary reduced on a demotion?
Absolutley NOT.

We went through this the year prior when the OC was demoted and instantly became of the highest paid OL coaches in Amerika.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So Bob went out of his way to hire Verducci and now Corley is going to be a star -

It's rarer than rare for any HC to build a perfect staff.

Every coach has a few swing and a miss hires.

Difference is coaches who can acknowledge the mistake and make changes.

To many of us Disco's failure wasn't the hire, it was the holding on and doubling down on the hire.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
It's rarer than rare for any HC to build a perfect staff.

Every coach has a few swing and a miss hires.

Difference is coaches who can acknowledge the mistake and make changes.

To many of us Disco's failure wasn't the hire, it was the holding on and doubling down on the hire.
Fair points -

Is this the third OC in less than 3 FB seasons? Am I counting correctly?

This reminds me of when my mother said to me maybe its you and not everyone else.

Reaction Score
It's too late for Diaco to try and save himself with widespread staff replacements. Most qualified candidates will be wary of a situation where the HC is on a trajectory to be replaced in a year or two. His best bet is to focus on just replacing the OC and hope that he can convince his choice that he's the missing element to putting us over the top.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Too bad this wasn't done last week so Corley could have a chance to succeed rather than get smashed by Temple's defense.

He could just ask verducci what he thinks and do the opposite every play and be successful

This just in...George Constanza is promoted to offensive coordinator at UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The 2-deep is out and is the same as last week. No personnel changes yet.
The Two Deep means nothing. Peart was on the Two Deep all last year and redshirted. I don't believe Anderson was listed at all and when he played it was out of position.

I'm all for this move. Something had to change, but it's only one side of the coin.

I said in a different thread that my non-expert observations support that UConn's problems are more in the execution, than the calls. If the same personnel are tasked with carrying out better laid plans, they are the reason they go awry. In other words (only an example), is Shirreffs going to advance his progressions beyond the 1st read before he tucks and runs?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

My take from that (just a guess) is that Shirreffs will start, but will have a shorter leash. If he is missing throws to open guys, not seeing the open guys or tucking and running too quickly, Anderson will be in. Anderson has the better arm. Diaco has said so.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The thing is - so far Verducci and Diaco have tried several different approaches - particularly with formations - to jump start the offense. That doesn't mean you don't keep trying, but only to say, much has been tried.

The one area Diaco and Verducci have not improved on is calling the right play at the right moment. Fourth down and red zone play calling has not improved one iota in 2.5 years. If Corley can call better plays inside the 20 it would actually make a meaningful difference for this team.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anderson has the better arm. Diaco has said so.

Sounds like the right approach. Let Anderson know he should be prepared to play this Friday. He clearly has the bigger arm. His release is so much faster.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
But instead of firing you as her son, she sent you off to the Marines? ;)
Point being it was me...I had to get 'fired' from home.

I got fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020