Verducci Demoted | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Verducci Demoted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our offense won't look any different until next year. This move just acknowledges that there is a problem and new direction is needed. The real move will be once the Tulane game is over and we can officially go OC shopping.

Reaction Score
Did I ask for Lane Kiffin?

Bob put the wrong person in the OC position - TWICE - and now promoting Corley we are thanking him. OK

Again -

Medic came at me about how he hired Corely - he has hired a bunch of people and none of them have been taken from UConn or Promoted for ability - everyone has been demoted and its next guy up.
No..but who do you think he can bring in with 4 games left? As for Corley he has done a good job since he was hired so to throw him in with Verducci is a bit unfair if you ask me. Corley and Campbell are the ONLY 2 guys on the offensive staff that deserve to stay!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
No kudos... You expected him to go outside to hire an OC for the next three games?
Nope.

Did you think I thought that?

My point was he got the original hire wrong, again.

Reaction Score
... and we have our scapegoat.

Nothing here to see, nothing at all; move on.

good grief UConn has fallen to a mid-level G5 program as quick as it rose a decade ago.
Hate to break it to you but that fall happened six years ago.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Good start. Hoping that we will appropriately fund the OC job position in the offseason and bring in someone who is highly innovative and exciting.

Once Dan Mullen is fired at Mississippi St in the first week of December, give him $1.25MM to be our Offensive Coordinator next year. Then he can take over the program in '18 when Diaco is finally shown the door--and he will have a year head start on rebuilding the offense and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Nope.

Did you think I thought that?

My point was he got the original hire wrong, again.
Yeah everyone on here said it when he hired both those guys...so now he gets a 3rd shot after the season. And if he muffs that one..like I said several times already today he will be back drawing up defensive game plans as a DC somewhere.

Reaction Score
So corley has good suggestions that resulted in good plays. Dang, any number of boneyard posters could give the same suggestions for a lot less money!!! I'll do it for free!
All go routes on 2, on 2, ready....

Reaction Score
This late in the year this kind of move is usually just doing something for the sake of doing something. You don't really expect much change but once in a while you catch lightening in a bottle. The coaching staff really needs a big overhaul though. While I'd just start at the top and go from there if Diaco is back he needs to replace the offensive line coach the defensive backfield coach and the defensive coordinator to bring a more aggressive philosophy forward. Our Oline is big but they look to my ontrained eye like they are still trying to play a finesse style that really doesn't fit them. That has been a problem since the days of Pasqualoni. We have clydesdales trying to play like thourobreds. At least for the time being we need to play like clydesdales.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...BYers whine endlessly about play calling, and yet when Diaco makes a change, they whine about the choice to call plays. When it is suggested that Lane Kiffen (or similar) are not exactly available, people say, well no...not him of course. :confused: Then who????

Can we wait and see what the BLEEP the offense does on Friday before making any judgments? You wanted a change. You got a change.

Reaction Score
I don't believe Verducci is the problem with gross misuse of timeouts, and I doubt it was his decision on burn a timeout and run that stupid play at the goal line against Navy, but Bob can't demote himself.

It is big boy move. Can't have everyone feeling all comfortable given these results.

Reaction Score
Lots of schools make these moves mid season. I respectfully disagree w your post. This is a big boy move
Agreed. But I sense that Bennedict pushed HCBD over the cliff. Shoulda been done three weeks ago, but understand that the man had to be given every chance to put it right as the Brits might say.

Sad that the JI probably went to press too soon to get it into this afternoon's addition.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...BYers whine endlessly about play calling, and yet when Diaco makes a change, they whine about the choice to call plays. When it is suggested that Lane Kiffen (or similar) are not exactly available, people say, well no...not him of course. :confused: Then who????

Can we wait and see what the BLEEP the offense does on Friday before making any judgments? You wanted a change. You got a change.

For some, seppuku is the only acceptable action Diaco could take at this point . . .

Reaction Score
Corley: have Noel go to the first telephone pole and cut left. Arkeel you go to Mr. Johnsons Buick add cut right.

Bob: Run Ron on a sweep.

Announcer: Johnson stopped for a loss of 2.

Bob: Man you had a great play there Dave. Should have taken your advice.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I was unimpressed with this promotion until I read this - Corley was a four year starter at QB at William and Mary. Okay, so that is something to work with - actual experience.

Corley was a four-year starter and multiple-time all-conference quarterback at W&M from 1999-2002 and finished his career as the Tribe's all-time leader in passing yards (9,805), total offense (10,948) and touchdown passes (73). He remains one of only two quarterbacks (the other being Stan Yagiello, 1981-85) to be a four-year starter during the Laycock era.

David Corley Resigns for Assistant Position at UConn

David Corley Named To Football Staff

Reaction Score
FootballScoop

>>UConn: Head coach Bob Diaco noted today that tight ends coach / offensive coordinator Frank Verducci will no longer call plays and that running backs coach / director of player engagement David Corley will take over offensive coordinator duties. Corley worked with the Husky running backs in 2014 before moving to wide receivers in 2015. Prior to that he spent six seasons at William and Mary, coaching the running backs and then the quarterbacks, serving as wide receivers coach / pass game coordinator for the program in 2013.<<

Coachingsearch.com: Bob Diaco explains offensive coordinator change in Week 10

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Once Dan Mullen is fired at Mississippi St in the first week of December, give him $1.25MM to be our Offensive Coordinator next year. Then he can take over the program in '18 when Diaco is finally shown the door--and he will have a year head start on rebuilding the offense and recruiting.
There might have been a shot at landing Mullen as a HC. He (or more likely ) his agent was reportedly intrigued by UConn when he was on the hot seat while Pasqualoni was piloting UConn into the ground . But then Miss St. won a few games and Mullen was off the hot seat. So he could have been a head coach at an AAC school but I doubt he'd ever be a coordinator at a non P5 school . . . And having a coach-in-waiting situation hardly never works, even when the guy going out is old and that's not the deal here .

Reaction Score
It's fine for the last 3 games, can't bring in a new O Coordinator anyways until next year but this better not be Diaco's solution long-term otherwise he's dumber than we thought.

Reaction Score
This late in the year this kind of move is usually just doing something for the sake of doing something. You don't really expect much change but once in a while you catch lightening in a bottle. The coaching staff really needs a big overhaul though. While I'd just start at the top and go from there if Diaco is back he needs to replace the offensive line coach the defensive backfield coach and the defensive coordinator to bring a more aggressive philosophy forward. Our Oline is big but they look to my ontrained eye like they are still trying to play a finesse style that really doesn't fit them. That has been a problem since the days of Pasqualoni. We have clydesdales trying to play like thourobreds. At least for the time being we need to play like clydesdales.

You'll know quick. If the offense looks completely rational, it was a good idea. If it looks like the same inexplicable garbage (think RJ running outside), we'll know it is Diaco calling the shots.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe I will go to the game now. Gotta see what the new OC calls. Also interested in who the QB will be.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Literally reshuffling chairs.... Jesus
images

Reaction Score
Too bad this wasn't done last week so Corley could have a chance to succeed rather than get smashed by Temple's defense.

He could just ask verducci what he thinks and do the opposite every play and be successful

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020