Verducci Demoted | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Verducci Demoted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I'm glad that something has been done- that was a big move for Diaco to make at this point considering his usual lack of creativity when it comes to play calling and his stubborness. My only issue is how is Corley going to have a real fair shot here considering its still the same pro-style, RPO, offense Verduci's been exeucuting all season long? I mean from a in-game stand point maybe the hope is he just can step in and make better decision making, especially in the Red Zone. We'll see... Best of luck to Coach Corley in this less than easy situation. I'd assume Verducci's job at UConn is done after this season? Unless Corley can really put off a miricle, Diaco is going to need to clean house here to improve I think.

Reaction Score
Edit - thanks Husky25

This tells me he's at least not completely tone deaf. It had to happen, and now you make the best of it over the next 3 games until you can conduct a proper OC search.

And for those keeping score at home, UConn is on its 7th OC since 2010
2016 OC's - Verducci and now Corley
2015 OC - Verducci
2014 OC - Cummings
2013 OC - Weist and then Day
2011 & 2012 OC - DeLeone
2009 & 2010 OC - Moorhead

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Run, Run, Pass, Punt
This sequence doesn't occur exactly like this as often as it seems.

The bigger issue at play is 3rd down calls/execution. Far too often the O-Line breaks down and what should be a short run is stuffed, Shirreffs takes off after a second and a half and comes up short, or the pass falls incomplete.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This tells me he's at least not completely tone death. It had to happen, and now you make the best of it over the next 3 games until you can conduct a proper OC search.

And for those keeping score at home, UConn is on its 6th OC since 2010
Yes, and.... it is worse than that....
2015 OC - Verducci
2014 OC - Cummings
2013 OC - Weist
2011 & 2012 OC - DeLeone
Didn't Shane Day call the plays when Weist was elevated to HC duties? Up that tally to seven.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Edit - thanks Husky25

This tells me he's at least not completely tone deaf. It had to happen, and now you make the best of it over the next 3 games until you can conduct a proper OC search.

And for those keeping score at home, UConn is on its 7th OC since 2010
2015 OC - Verducci
2014 OC - Cummings
2013 OC - Weist and then Day
2011 & 2012 OC - DeLeone
And just for fun... TJ Weist is now the OC at USF... Joe Moorhead is now the OC at Penn State... and George DeLeone is the OL coach at Temple (will be nice to see him on Friday!) lol

Reaction Score
If Coaches tend to hire from their own little network of associates that they trust then Fiasco must have a really crappy network.

Reaction Score
Does that mean that we will double the amount of times Ron Johnson will be running wide?

Reaction Score
Sounds like the right approach. Let Anderson know he should be prepared to play this Friday. He clearly has the bigger arm. His release is so much faster.
I doubt very much that Anderson would be an upgrade over Shirreffs based on what I have seen of him in 2 spring games and some mop up duty this year. Still, I would like to see him play more then 5 mins at the end of a game. I would be curious to if he sees the field better than Shirreffs and is able to hit the underneath receivers that seem to wide open but Sherreffs never seems to see. I would love to be wrong about my assessment Garrett Anderson.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I doubt very much that Anderson would be an upgrade over Shirreffs based on what I have seen of him in 2 spring games and some mop up duty this year. Still, I would like to see him play more then 5 mins at the end of a game. I would be curious to if he sees the field better than Shirreffs and is able to hit the underneath receivers that seem to wide open but Sherreffs never seems to see. I would love to be wrong about my assessment Garrett Anderson.
Kind of a small sample size, no?

Personally I'll give Anderson the benefit of said doubt because Shirreffs is a known non-commodity at this point. There is no other conclusion left to draw except that Shirreffs has regressed from whatever point in the past he is compared.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am still of the opinion that if it wasn't for the late 2nd qtr TD pass to Beals (after Obi's int), Anderson would have taken over at QB in the second half against Cincinnati and a decision on whether or not to burn Donovan's red shirt would have been on the agenda leading up to the USF game.

The second half against Cincinnati was fool's gold and all it did was set us up for what we've seen since.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately, if he could do those things better than Shirreffs he would be playing already.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I can't argue with your points. And he will be not bring any mobility to the position what so ever, so quick release maybe more than negated by negative mobility.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hopefully AD Benedict said to HCBD it's you or the OC and this will be the start of a house cleaning
BUT maybe not - hopeful thinking

Reaction Score

Personally I'll give Anderson the benefit of said doubt because Shirreffs is a known non-commodity at this point. There is no other conclusion left to draw except that Shirreffs has regressed from whatever point in the past he is compared.

Shirreffs passing stats are almost identical to last year, but he is now distributing the ball as well as last year. Plus, he is averaging only 2.3 yards per carry this year vs 3.3 yards per carry last year as defenses have figured out that he likes to take off and now defend for it. He needs to run less and throw more slants, over the middle to the TEs,...

Look at Shirreffs completions this year vs last year. Last year, Thomas was 32% of Shirreffs completions. This year, 50%. TEs were 23% of completions last year and 17% this year. Newsome was 27% of completions last year and 11% this year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Status report?"

"We've hit an iceberg, Captain Diaco!"

"Hmmm. And how are the deck chairs?"

"We've rearranged them, sir."

"Excellent...excellent. Alert my valet that I will be wearing the cranberry pants to dinner."

Reaction Score
Good news.
What's so good about it ? It's just shifting around a poor coaching staff into different coaching positions. I'd be surprised if we see any different results on the field.The Quarterbacks are the same and the O-line is the same. Band-aid on a gusher isn't gonna do too much. Hope I'm wrong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, if he could do those things better than Shirreffs he would be playing already.

Yeah, because coaches are perfect and never make mistakes. I think it is entirely possible, likely even, that Anderson has a stronger more accurate arm, faster release and a better read on defenses, and still wouldn't have been Diaco's choice due to mobility from Shirreffs, our leaky OL and Shirreff's experience with the offense. But BS has made minimal improvements in his decision making, and his handoff technique is terrible, and may even hurt the running game. What can we possibly lose by trying Anderson?

Reaction Score

Very small. Its really hard to say what he will do but most of the time the coaches know better than us because they get to see the players everyday in practice. That being said, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing Garrett get a start.

Reaction Score
At this point starting Garrett is pointless. He's a senior with no eligibility left. I wouldn't mind them giving Bissack reps though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom