VaTech 67, TN 63, final | Page 6 | The Boneyard

VaTech 67, TN 63, final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Margo speaks her mind about this game

Faithful Margo...Good for her! She said some interesting things but guuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllll give it up! I'm not downing Tennessee or Holly but just give it up! Seems like they've already given up so puh-leeeeeeeeze GIVE...IT....UP! This is a "catastrophically talented" team...talented nonetheless! Having said that...their "#1 recruiting class" better hope for a miracle next year! GO UCONN!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with those that suggest that UT is primarily about football and that so long as HW fields a competitive team, with no hint of scandal, she will keep her job. Right now, the biggest concern around Knoxville is the loss this past weekend on the football field vs that other SEC team from TN (Vanderbilt).

However, it is worth pointing out that of the 14 SEC women's BB teams, UT's record places them dead last at 3-2. If the Vols turn into a mediocre, middle of the pack team within the SEC, then the AD will seriously have to consider making a change.

Reaction Score
I imagine Holly wont be getting an extension unless the results start turning around. The big decision comes when the lack of an extension starts affecting recruiting. At that point it will get clearer if the school intends to keep her or are just waiting to reduce the cost of getting rid of her.

From what I can find her contract seems to run thru 2019 at 665K per year. That would make her buyout 2.66 million minus what she's already been paid this year. As that number shrinks her odds of being sacked would seem to go up.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This thread began as a report on the result of a basketball game (VaTech 67 - Tenn. 63). My oh my! It has grown like weeds! Reading all the posts was enlightening for a while but eventually just made my head hurt.:rolleyes:

I guess we're all ready for the renewal of UConn action.

Tonight, vs. Chatanooga. GO HUSKIES!:)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
A couple of points;
1) Holly DOES have an offensive "system"; it is the "chuck it up and rebound like crazy" system that she learned from CPS. The problem is that Holly isn't scary enough to motivate the elevation necessary, and that other teams now have great big players too.
2) According to scuttlebutt from UT fans, the new assistant coach(es?) that Holly hired last year are bang-on recruiters but no better at the xs and os and game motivation than is Holly. Don't know if that is true but it would jibe with recent history in both recruiting and play.
3) Hart is gone, and I have not heard much about the new AD's attitude toward the LV.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A couple of points;
1) Holly DOES have an offensive "system"; it is the "chuck it up and rebound like crazy" system that she learned from CPS. The problem is that Holly isn't scary enough to motivate the elevation necessary, and that other teams now have great big players too.
2) According to scuttlebutt from UT fans, the new assistant coach(es?) that Holly hired last year are bang-on recruiters but no better at the xs and os and game motivation than is Holly. Don't know if that is true but it would jibe with recent history in both recruiting and play.
3) Hart is gone, and I have not heard much about the new AD's attitude toward the LV.
The new assistant was definitely a recruiting coordinator type person - she had performed that function in most of her previous jobs. I don't know that she is the reason for this great class - TN had no where to go but up from this past year, and she came on board fairly late in the recruiting process for 2017. TN as a name program, the fact that they have a small roster for this year, and the HC and assistants ground work with 2017 are probably the reason for the success - the real test will be of the 2018 class after a block-buster 2017. It is a much harder sell now that the roster is fuller with top rated recruits.

Reaction Score
A couple of points;

Thanks for the update (item 3). I wasn't aware that there had been a recent change in AD. I believe Hart was the one I was thinking of in my earlier post.

Reaction Score
I imagine Holly wont be getting an extension unless the results start turning around. The big decision comes when the lack of an extension starts affecting recruiting. At that point it will get clearer if the school intends to keep her or are just waiting to reduce the cost of getting rid of her.

From what I can find her contract seems to run thru 2019 at 665K per year. That would make her buyout 2.66 million minus what she's already been paid this year. As that number shrinks her odds of being sacked would seem to go up.

Reaction Score
I imagine if the fans stop attending games this would also cause the AD to also remove HW. Keeping her fan base will probably keep HW her job.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A couple of points;

I don't think they have appointed a new AD yet. See UTC's Blackburn could be frontrunner for Vols' athletic director job

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Fairly accurate Review of the game:

I think ESPN, FOX. CBS et al should dump Debbie Antonelli from their broadcast teams and hire Margo in her place. Margo is far more knowledgeable and entertaining on her worst day than Debbie is on her best day.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Margo: Give the superstar the ball! Those turn overs are the other players fault. Uh, she's drinking the cool aid.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Margo: Give the superstar the ball! Those turn overs are the other players fault. Uh, she's drinking the cool aid.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but I'd still take her over Debbie Antonelli....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, but I'd still take her over Debbie Antonelli....

The Lady Vols could give Margo a try on their radio broadcasts as a third wheel. A "color" commentator/analyst for maybe 3 games, and see how it goes. One thing for sure, she's no stranger to Vol Nation. She would come in with name, face and voice recognition. She would not be boring, she'd bring it!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here's an interesting article on the plight of the current Lady Vol program.

Recruits still volunteer for Tennessee

PS. Clay should, at least, be able to spell Summitt correctly.
Pretty bald indictment of the TN coaching staff - and pretty accurate. It is an interesting take on HS kids and their parents - are they really that ignorant of college basketball. It is the assumption I have made in a few posts because the last two years of product on the floor at TN has been very unappetizing and yet they get the #1 class this year.
I think it is too general a statement - you look at Collier's reasoning for committing to Uconn and she talks about the development of players she sees in Uconn teams, and their success into their WNBA careers. And you see a lot of those kinds of comments from other recruits going to other programs so one suspects some of the kids and parents are going on more than pure whimsey.

Reaction Score
After all the nastiness to UCONN from TN over basically nothing I have NO sympathy for the Lady Vols or their fans!
If they lost every game but scored 1 point I would still be pi--ed!
May Holly Warlick get a lifetime HC contract from the University of TN!

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting article on the plight of the current Lady Vol program.

Recruits still volunteer for Tennessee

PS. Clay should, at least, be able to spell Summitt correctly.

Points made in this excellent article have been discussed in Boneyard (and even in Vol Nation) several times except that the parents have not been blamed as much.

Reaction Score
It is puzzling that Tennessee is not more successful since Pat left the picture considering how many top rated players they have been able to attract. All the opinions expressed on the Boneyard as to why this is so have merit.

There are many in Lady Vol land who are clamoring for Holly's ouster. Perhaps an equal number are blaming the players for the problems. In my opinion, both are at fault. Holly recruits the wrong type of player for the wrong reasons and everyone at Tenn has the wrong mindset for success.

I would like to illustrate my points by comparing the difference between the current UCONN vs. Tennessee way:

1. TN: I want to play for Holly. She is nice and will let me do my own thing without interference. There is nothing she needs to teach me. I want to be a star and my natural ability will win out. It will be easy.

UCONN: I want to play for Geno and his system. I realize I have raw ability and preconceived BB attitudes, but I'm still a babe in the woods and will do anything to improve and fit in. I too want to be a star and I'm willing to put in the effort to become one.

2. TN: Tennessee is in the dumps right now. I'm the person with the ability to ride in, put things right, and become the legend I deserve to be.

UCONN - I'm probably not going to exceed the accomplishments of former players, but I yearn to be part of that fantastic family while developing my skills to the fullest to fulfill my future goals.

3. TN : I know I'll always get a pat on the back no matter how I perform. Holly is a nurturer. I'll feel good about myself.

UCONN : I expect to cry alot. I will be the worst player on the roster in Geno's mind. Even so, I will never give up.I will show him through extreme effort.

4. TN : No way do I want to play for that egotistical maniac in Storrs. I don't need to run myself ragged just for him. I'm a highly desired recruit and I can succeed anywhere, and Holly really wants me. I will have lots of fun at Tennessee and the fans will adore me.I'm better than my teammates, and if they get me the ball, I'll be the one to slay UCONN and bring the Lady Vols back to their rightful place.

UCONN : I recognize that I don't know my true potential, but the UCONN staff has proven, over time, that they do. Geno may be hard to deal with in the beginning but my will is strong.

5. TN : So much playing time is available! It will be easy to break into the starting lineup with my superior skills.

UCONN : There are so many excellent players ahead of me and I will have a difficult time getting minutes.But I know the coaches will not abandon me if I put forth great effort and am willing to learn.I will always be supported through the criticism that is sure to come.

5. TN : Coach Holly is a great recruiter. Look at all the top rated players she has signed. So many are McDonalds all americans. Her philosophy - if you're a McD AA, you must be good. Bring them on, particularly if they love me. My players can do no wrong. I'll always find something to praise in them. A trophy for everyone! I've received lots of criticism for my lack of coaching skills. But underneath it all, the fans know it's the players that are the problems, not me.

UCONN : Coach Geno and staff are great recruiters. But sometimes their choices and who they reject are puzzling to the fans. Their recruiting skills are beyond our comprehension but they somehow know which players and their families are the true stars. That's why we support the UCONN staff without question.

My basic point is Holly attracts players with thought processes that are different from those of UCONN recruits. The mindset of recruits that choose UCONN and its coaching staff just produce superior results regardless of the underlying talent inherent in all top ability kids.

Reaction Score
5. TN : Coach Holly is a great recruiter. Look at all the top rated players she has signed. So many are McDonalds all americans.
Why is she so good at attracting highly desired players when there are obviously deep problems with the program? I dunno, but here's a suggestion:
She learned the patter of recruiting from a master and repeats it pretty well. No one ever gets tired of it, because it's a new group every year that's listening (the same reason I can repeat my lectures ad nauseum :)). But game coaching can't be memorized; it's all about innate instinct and (frankly) skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom