VaTech 67, TN 63, final | Page 2 | The Boneyard

VaTech 67, TN 63, final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tennessee will make both the AP and the coaches poll.
Their ranking will go down.
Too many vol fans/UConn haters vote there for the lady vols to go out.

Reaction Score
LV's with 11 assists and 20 turnovers....that will never happen to a UCONN team that is coached by Geno and staff...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Nevertheless, we are DOOOOOOOOOMMED!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Kenny Brooks after the game....

" all these mcdonalds all Americans on the floor and I'll take Hicks over all of them"

I'm paraphrasing but it made me lol
Watching her play I would've too... those steals she had.

Reaction Score
All I can say is... lawd have mercy. The commentator for that game was not shy about calling players shots ugly... for both teams LOL.

Would have been more colorful if they quoted Shakespeare.
"Full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Reaction Score
I only saw the 4th quarter, but it looked to me like 1)TN had a huge talent advantage, and 2) (just like everyone's been saying) they don't play much offense. Remember 2-3 times DD was so intent on playing 1 on 1 she either continued an ill-advised drive to the basket into a double team and got stripped or run out of bounds, or had to give it up and re-start by passing all the way back out. After this 2nd bad loss don't they HAVE to drop out of top 25?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I only saw the 4th quarter, but it looked to me like 1)TN had a huge talent advantage, and 2) (just like everyone's been saying) they don't play much offense. Remember 2-3 times DD was so intent on playing 1 on 1 she either continued an ill-advised drive to the basket into a double team and got stripped or run out of bounds, or had to give it up and re-start by passing all the way back out. After this 2nd bad loss don't they HAVE to drop out of top 25?

Ranked teams typically drop 4 to 6 spots after a loss to an unranked team. So much of it depends on where you start out ranked. From #17 it's unlikely Tennessee would fall out completely. Probably #22 or #23.

Reaction Score
While some will want to fire Holly, wont that risk losing their recruits if they do?

I don't think they are going there specifically for her. There is a lot of playing time unlike other schools. And they may like the school the team and the surroundings

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
While some will want to fire Holly, wont that risk losing their recruits if they do?
The recruits have already signed their LOIs, so it is unlikely - if they watch the film of these games, maybe they will join the chorus calling for a new coaching staff! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm probably among the last non-Tenn-fans to continue to feel some compassion for DD. I know she's a prima donna, but Geno saw something in her. If she had gone to UConn and if (it turns out now to be a gigantic "if") she had allowed herself to be coached properly, her whole life would be different. She would today be part of a terrific UConn team and a near certainly to be a top 5 (maybe higher) draft choice. Instead, no matter where she's drafted, she just doesn't have the mental discipline or developed skills to be more than a journeyman athlete with a bit more sparkle and charisma, which will assure her of playing time but not prominence. Wasted talent is always a sad thing.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't understand how a team with all this talent can struggle? Is it the coach? Team?

There were admitted chemistry issues last season. Does that still exist?

Again...too talented for this.

Potential vs talent. They are not too talented. History of WCBB is littered with HS AAs who disappeared in college because they could not/did not make the big step up. Certainly it does not help that UT has a coaching staff led by someone whose constant refrain is: "I don't know."

Can't wait for Holly's presser to go up.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
bags27 - I agree about DD if she had gone somewhere with a strong coaching staff - her raw skills are impressive, but since she has been in college I have never been impressed including her freshman year where she got all the accolades - she was the least efficient player on the UNC team by quite a bit - she has never shot more than about 40% from the field and about 30% from three and has had stretches where those percentages were a lot worse. She has never had a 1.0 A/TO ratio, usually coming in around 0.75-0.80 - and she has always dominated the ball for her teams, shooting 30% of the teams shots and usually about 40% more than her nearest teammate both from 3 and overall.

The word that they are trying to 'install' a motion offense to me is hard to believe - I have seen nothing from this TN coaching staff that suggests anyone there has more than a very rudimentary handle on defensive or offensive 'theory' - it appears they learned what 'setting a screen' means, and then went for the advanced degree on this new fangled concept called a pick and roll - they worked really hard on that and think they have it down, but didn't think they could really get through the doctorate level degree that included something called a pick and pop. At the other end they figured out what a defensive stance looks like and teach it strenuously, and they understand the idea of boxing out. This zone concept things is a little difficult, but they are working hard on it, but haven't quite figured out the difference between 2-1-2, 1-2-2, 2-3, and 3-2. They understand that it all adds up to five, but ... haven't figured out why five is a magic number.

That last bit may also explain why they have had such a hard time understanding any of the books and videos about playing offense against a zone - they all keep using that strange sequence of numbers with this mystical total of 5.

Sarcastic, but ...?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't give a flying swiss cheese burger about Tennessee's players, because they had ample warning of the Holly & Co. train wreck. Wanting to be a jewel in a faded crown is hardly worthy of sympathy once it is achieved. Nor do I do anything but relish the agony of the Vol fans who go out of their way to spit on Geno and UConn with their careworn pack of lies. But the great majority of Vol fans deserve better than what they are getting out of the University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom