Vasa Pusica (Grad transfer) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vasa Pusica (Grad transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's not grad transfer eligible next year. He just transferred to Northeastern and had sat out last year. He's a RS Soph.

He played 2 years at San Diego ('15 and '16), sat out 1, then 4th year at Northeastern. Assuming he's on graduation pace, he'd be eligible as a grad transfer.

Reaction Score
Oh great. Another low level grad transfer. What? Ollie couldn’t find a guy from the NEC?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Oh great. Another low level grad transfer. What? Ollie couldn’t find a guy from the NEC?

This is an absolutely awful argument, even by your standards.

Grad transfers from low-major schools have proven dozens of times over that they are capable of competing at a high level in the college game. Anderson and Onuorah happened to be two individuals who couldn't; assuming that's what all grad transfers look like proves you don't follow college basketball at all. Did you even follow this team in 2015-16? Its best player was a PF from the same school Onuorah went to, and one with a much worse program than the kid being discussed ITT. Sit yourself back down.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
View attachment 29187
IIRC inbound transfer speculation is fine.

Reaction Score
This is an absolutely awful argument, even by your standards.

Grad transfers from low-major schools have proven dozens of times over that they are capable of competing at a high level in the college game. Anderson and Onuorah happened to be two individuals who couldn't; assuming that's what all grad transfers look like proves you don't follow college basketball at all. Did you even follow this team in 2015-16? Its best player was a PF from the same school Onuorah went to, and one with a much worse program than the kid being discussed ITT. Sit yourself back down.
And that is a nice summary of Ollie’s Recruiting philosophy. Best player was a grad transfer from the Ivy League. In the right circumstance landing a good player from Cornell or Northeastern to play a role is fine. But if it’s your best player it’s no wonder we struggle to compete above the middle of our league.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
And that is a nice summary of Ollie’s Recruiting philosophy. Best player was a grad transfer from the Ivy League. In the right circumstance landing a good player from Cornell or Northeastern to play a role is fine. But if it’s your best player it’s no wonder we struggle to compete above the middle of our league.

The fact that Miller’s year with us was our only decent year since the title kind of undermines that.

25 wins (11 in conference), never lost more than two games in a row, only one cupcake win with a margin of less than 15 points...obviously that’s not the glory days standard, but who wouldn’t have been happy with that either of the past two years? I would bet that a large part of that success was a scoring threat in the post who averaged 12 PPG, had the second-best FG% in the conference, dropped 19 on Gonzaga, and outplayed Michigan, Ohio State, and Texas’s frontcourts.

Not every grad transfer will be Shonn Miller, but hearing the word, thinking of Dave O, and recoiling immediately is so reductive.

Reaction Score
Not every grad transfer will be Shonn Miller, but hearing the word, thinking of Dave O, and recoiling immediately is so reductive.
I think these guys are reasonable ends to the spectrum of what we can expect to take in this program as grad transfers go. DO was a big bust, but we needed a big and he was available. There will always be room on a team for an RJ Evans or a Lasan Kromah because the experience they can bring is invaluable for young teams. I think Antoine Anderson would have had a fine role if AG stayed healthy all year.

But we can't be relying on these guys as key contributors every year. It's just not a recipe for success. It has to be built from within - retain and develop our own guys - then grad transfers can fill any roles that are left.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I think these guys are reasonable ends to the spectrum of what we can expect to take in this program as grad transfers go. DO was a big bust, but we needed a big and he was available. There will always be room on a team for an RJ Evans or a Lasan Kromah because the experience they can bring is invaluable for young teams. I think Antoine Anderson would have had a fine role if AG stayed healthy all year.

But we can't be relying on these guys as key contributors every year. It's just not a recipe for success. It has to be built from within - retain and develop our own guys - then grad transfers can fill any roles that are left.

I agree. We should still be monitoring the landscape for a guy (maybe two in dire circumstances) every April we have an open scholarship going into the next season. Cutting ourselves out from a market the teams we're competing with for NCAA bids are using to improve their rosters goes counter to the idea of putting the best possible team out there on the floor.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This kid is a mid-major player - a good mid-major player, but a mid-major player.

With the exception of the turnovers, he’s not bringing those numbers with him to UConn.

The roster needs help, but this ain’t the way.

I think the evidence is pretty clear that UConn isn’t going to build with transfers.

Reaction Score
it's a travel. technically the call was accurate.

the problem is the ncaa is becoming more like the nba. travels are becoming more optional than ever.

the guy tripping over his own 2 feet to not even get off an open layup at the end of regulation hurt too.

No shot it never was a travel in any way he got rid of the ball as he stepped and as far as calling travels they are pitiful in all of basketball they miss all f them, no way on earth that should have ever been called... a really horrific call by a hero referee. Agree to disagree on that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This kid is a mid-major player - a good mid-major player, but a mid-major player.

With the exception of the turnovers, he’s not bringing those numbers with him to UConn.

Disagree. We need to get some class balance back, and adding a senior shooter at SG is the easiest way to do it. That allows for a band-aid on a current wound while giving the staff (whoever it is) to concentrate on adding a stud SG in 2019 or 2020.

Nobody needs him to average 15 ppg here. Just knock down open shots that the PGs & scheme get him and play respectable defense.

Reaction Score
Disagree. We need to get some class balance back, and adding a senior shooter at SG is the easiest way to do it. That allows for a band-aid on a current wound while giving the staff (whoever it is) to concentrate on adding a stud SG in 2019 or 2020.

Nobody needs him to average 15 ppg here. Just knock down open shots that the PGs & scheme get him and play respectable defense.

I sort of agree with both of you, if that's possible. On one hand, we're not in a position to be turning down good players because of what conference they play in. The kid is putting up better numbers than anybody on our roster. His team is ranked 98th, we are ranked 174th. If the goal is to get better immediately, then there is no argument for passing on him.

On the other hand, he's at Northeastern for a reason and on that front maybe it doesn't make sense to use a scholarship on a player who is good enough to take minutes from guys we want to develop but not good enough to take us anywhere. I'm sure everyone's preference is to use our scholarships on high school players who can make an impact right away and then improve over the course of 2-3 full off-seasons.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The fact that Miller’s year with us was our only decent year since the title kind of undermines that.

25 wins (11 in conference), never lost more than two games in a row, only one cupcake win with a margin of less than 15 points...obviously that’s not the glory days standard, but who wouldn’t have been happy with that either of the past two years? I would bet that a large part of that success was a scoring threat in the post who averaged 12 PPG, had the second-best FG% in the conference, dropped 19 on Gonzaga, and outplayed Michigan, Ohio State, and Texas’s frontcourts.

Exactly. We aren't gonna be competitive if we can't land transfers and grad transfers. Cincy did it, they just got a guy worth his weight in Cane Broome, and things are working out great for them.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Exactly. We aren't gonna be competitive if we can't land transfers and grad transfers. Cincy did it, they just got a guy worth his weight in Cane Broome, and things are working out great for them.

A lot of people wanted Cane Broome here -- and Issac Vann too. From Sacred Heart and Maine, no less.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think the evidence is pretty clear that UConn isn’t going to build with transfers.

I only saw him play last night so Im not sure. It does look like he prefers to shoot it off his own dribble, backing down or dribbling off a screen. He's not going to get the looks he got last night vs. good Division 1 teams every night. But if he can come off screens shooting he can be a piece I think, smart player which we have very little of. But he can't be coming in being one of our best 7-8 players though.

Reaction Score
13 scholarships are accounted for.
I hope most everybody stays.
Maybe 1 guy might be better off in other pastures, but it would be good to keep everyone else.
We are better off if everyone stays and we don't have room for grad transfers,

Reaction Score
We are better off if everyone stays and we don't have room for grad transfers,

And if not there will be greater impact guys I am sure, like a big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom