Vanderbilt | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think that Shea is on the verge of finally getting p....d off.
why do you say that? Due to the fact she's lost 4 in a row (soon to be 5 with their game against LSU tonight) or the fact her schedule prior to the 4 straight losses was remarkably easy and now she sees her team is only average (4-5 in SEC play)?

Reaction Score
Vandy is a nice story, but they are facing the hard truth now in conference play, which is that they are not there yet. Not close.

Reaction Score
Vandy is a nice story, but they are facing the hard truth now in conference play, which is that they are not there yet. Not close.
I agree 100 percent they are not there yet. Not close? I guess it depends on your definition of "close."

They won at Mississippi State. Were tied with the Vols in Knoxville with four minutes remaining before losing by nine. Missed 10 free throws and lost to Ole Miss by six. Led Bama by 12 in the third quarter before the Tide rallied to win by eight.

To me, those are close. I predicted before the season started they would finish 10th. I still think that's likely where they wind up, but they still have a reasonable chance to wind up in the top half of the conference.

Vandy certainly is not, and perhaps will never be, in the same class as South Carolina and LSU. Few are. But, while they might not be equal to some of the other teams in the conference, they are no longer totally outclassed. They are, dare I say, close.

When I try to define success for Vandy's women program, I don't go directly to conference championships. I fantasize about having a winning record in conference play and making the NCAA tourney most years. It's not an unreasonable expectation to finish in the top five or six consistently. Whether they do those things this season or not, I truly believe they have made great strides in that direction. They're 4-6 in conference play. Maybe they won't win another game, but I will still be convinced they're close. And, the team only loses one player after this year, and the player who is coming in to replace her, Mikayla Blakes, will probably be the best player on the team the day she arrives.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree 100 percent they are not there yet. Not close? I guess it depends on your definition of "close."

They won at Mississippi State. Were tied with the Vols in Knoxville with four minutes remaining before losing by nine. Missed 10 free throws and lost to Ole Miss by six. Led Bama by 12 in the third quarter before the Tide rallied to win by eight.

To me, those are close. I predicted before the season started they would finish 10th. I still think that's likely where they wind up, but they still have a reasonable chance to wind up in the top half of the conference.

Vandy certainly is not, and perhaps will never be, in the same class as South Carolina and LSU. Few are. But, while they might not be equal to some of the other teams in the conference, they are no longer totally outclassed. They are, dare I say, close.

When I try to define success for Vandy's women program, I don't go directly to conference championships. I fantasize about having a winning record in conference play and making the NCAA tourney most years. It's not an unreasonable expectation to finish in the top five or six consistently. Whether they do those things this season or not, I truly believe they have made great strides in that direction. They're 4-6 in conference play. Maybe they won't win another game, but I will still be convinced they're close. And, the team only loses one player after this year, and the player who is coming in to replace her, Mikayla Blakes, will probably be the best player on the team the day she arrives.
You are right, I stand corrected. They are close to becoming a top half of conference team, I was implying they are not close yet to competing for top 4 in the conference in spite of some early season enthusiasm from the great start.

Reaction Score
A must-win game? That’s a scary thing to say about your team when it’s in the midst of a five-game losing streak and seems to be shaky in terms of confidence late in games.

But, I do think it’s fair to say this team desperately needs a win at Georgia (2-8 conference) to keep its NCAA tourney hopes alive. For one thing, Vandy’s NET ranking has fallen to 60.

If the Dores have a decent shooting day, I think they’ll win. This team’s shooting is perhaps the biggest disappointment to me so far. They’re shooting 42% from the field and 33% beyond the arc. That won’t win many SEC games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Up 26-21 at the half. Nine turnovers (mostly unforced) and 2 of 10 beyond the arc.

Reaction Score
Up 40-34 after three quarters. Looked ragged in the third, but so did Georgia. Now comes the dreaded fourth quarter where Commodore victories go to die. I've mustered up some faith. I think the Dores get it done today.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
12 pt. lead down to six with three-minutes left then missed an open layup. This team will be the death of me.

Reaction Score

I think you need a history lesson. Before Coach Auriemma, UConn was dreadful. They were 4-28 in the first three years of the Big East. After four years under Coach Auriemma, they won the conference. Yes, the SEC is more challenging than the original Big East, but you have Shea Ralph. She’s starting to get recruiting wins. I think you should expect great things in a few years, not just to be middle of the pack.

Reaction Score
This freshman is turning into something special for coach Ralph.

Like I have said before, Coach Ralph is building something special at Vanderbilt and has the program headed in the right direction. I just hope that folks are patient and trusting the process. It takes time, the right recruiting, and skill development. Coach Ralph has the wheels in motion. Folks just have to show patience and let coach do her thang.

Reaction Score
Can't say I like our odds in this one. A&M coming off a 19-point win over Ole Miss in Oxford.

Reaction Score
Four Freshman of the Week awards, including two in a row. Had a bad game Sunday against Tennessee, but I'm invoking my fan privilege to make an excuse...she has an injured wrist and had to wear a brace that seemed to inhibit her shooting ability.

Reaction Score
Well, lookee lookee here. Look where Shea Ralph has gotten the Vanderbilt women’s program in just her third season. They have three games remaining in the regular season and have a legit chance to earn their way into the NCAA tournament.

Vandy is 6-7 in the conference and needs at least eight wins. Every team that has finished at least 8-8 in the SEC has gotten a bid to the NCAA tourney.

Whether they manage to pull it off remains to be seen, but, when you think where this program was when she arrived, it is truly remarkable that they are in this position, and, regardless of how things go the rest of the season, I feel justified in crowing a little bit about my coach and my team. In year one, the team had been decimated by player defections from the previous regime, then year two brought the worst injury luck I can recall. Three starters lost for the season in pre-season practice. Not just any three starters, either. It was the two starting guards and the post player.

Now, in year three, this crazy lady announces her goal is to make the NCAA tournament. I thought she was getting about two years ahead of herself, proving one more time that I don’t know squat. (She has actually said unequivocally that, prior to the injuries, she expected to make the tourney last year).

Three games to go, and we need to win at least two of them. Can it be done? Certainly it can, but it’s no sure thing. This Sunday, Arkansas is going to be in desperation mode. They have the same 6-7 record as Vandy and need two more wins. But, if they don’t beat Vandy, that means they have to beat South Carolina to have a chance to get there. In other words, their NCAA tournament hopes rest almost entirely on beating Vandy. Then, we face Missouri, which will be celebrating senior night and saying goodbye to the great Hayley Frank and others. Won’t be easy.

Vandy is one game behind Alabama and Mississippi State, tied with A&M and Arkansas and one game ahead of Auburn and Florida in the loss column. Things are about to get wild.

I don’t know how we will fare, but, man is it fun to be in the tussle. I’ll be thrilled if we can do enough to make the tourney, but, regardless of what happens, you have to be proud of these kids. We still aren’t quite as big, talented, fast and athletic as several other teams in the conference, but here we are fighting to make the tourney.

Below are remaining schedules for five teams within one game of fifth place in the conference. In closing, a humble request of the basketball gods: Please help us make a shot or two.

Alabama 7-6
vs Mississippi State
vs Florida
@ Texas A&M

Mississippi State 7-6
@ Alabama
@ Auburn
vs Missouri

Vanderbilt 6-7
@ Arkansas
@ Missouri
vs Georgia

Texas A&M 6-7
@ Auburn
@ Tennessee
vs Alabama

Arkansas 6-7
vs Vanderbilt
vs South Carolina
@ Ole Miss

South Carolina 13-0
LSU 10-3
Ole Miss 9-4
Tennessee 9-4
Alabama 7-6
Mississippi State 7-6
Vanderbilt 6-7
Texas A&M 6-7
Arkansas 6-7
Auburn 5-8
Florida 5-8
Kentucky 4-9
Missouri 2-11
Georgia 2-11

Reaction Score
Well, lookee lookee here. Look where Shea Ralph has gotten the Vanderbilt women’s program in just her third season. They have three games remaining in the regular season and have a legit chance to earn their way into the NCAA tournament.

Vandy is 6-7 in the conference and needs at least eight wins. Every team that has finished at least 8-8 in the SEC has gotten a bid to the NCAA tourney.

Whether they manage to pull it off remains to be seen, but, when you think where this program was when she arrived, it is truly remarkable that they are in this position, and, regardless of how things go the rest of the season, I feel justified in crowing a little bit about my coach and my team. In year one, the team had been decimated by player defections from the previous regime, then year two brought the worst injury luck I can recall. Three starters lost for the season in pre-season practice. Not just any three starters, either. It was the two starting guards and the post player.

Now, in year three, this crazy lady announces her goal is to make the NCAA tournament. I thought she was getting about two years ahead of herself, proving one more time that I don’t know squat. (She has actually said unequivocally that, prior to the injuries, she expected to make the tourney last year).

Three games to go, and we need to win at least two of them. Can it be done? Certainly it can, but it’s no sure thing. This Sunday, Arkansas is going to be in desperation mode. They have the same 6-7 record as Vandy and need two more wins. But, if they don’t beat Vandy, that means they have to beat South Carolina to have a chance to get there. In other words, their NCAA tournament hopes rest almost entirely on beating Vandy. Then, we face Missouri, which will be celebrating senior night and saying goodbye to the great Hayley Frank and others. Won’t be easy.

Vandy is one game behind Alabama and Mississippi State, tied with A&M and Arkansas and one game ahead of Auburn and Florida in the loss column. Things are about to get wild.

I don’t know how we will fare, but, man is it fun to be in the tussle. I’ll be thrilled if we can do enough to make the tourney, but, regardless of what happens, you have to be proud of these kids. We still aren’t quite as big, talented, fast and athletic as several other teams in the conference, but here we are fighting to make the tourney.

Below are remaining schedules for five teams within one game of fifth place in the conference. In closing, a humble request of the basketball gods: Please help us make a shot or two.

Alabama 7-6
vs Mississippi State
vs Florida
@ Texas A&M

Mississippi State 7-6
@ Alabama
@ Auburn
vs Missouri

Vanderbilt 6-7
@ Arkansas
@ Missouri
vs Georgia

Texas A&M 6-7
@ Auburn
@ Tennessee
vs Alabama

Arkansas 6-7
vs Vanderbilt
vs South Carolina
@ Ole Miss

South Carolina 13-0
LSU 10-3
Ole Miss 9-4
Tennessee 9-4
Alabama 7-6
Mississippi State 7-6
Vanderbilt 6-7
Texas A&M 6-7
Arkansas 6-7
Auburn 5-8
Florida 5-8
Kentucky 4-9
Missouri 2-11
Georgia 2-11

She learned from the best!! Here's hoping they win and are in!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, I did some analysis of the bubble and I have to say, Vandy for as good a year for them as they are having, are still on the outside. They are part of the 1st 4 out and would need to have some good wins in the SECT. Their main competition is Auburn who has better wins and a harder schedule. The best wins for Vandy are over a 16-10 Iowa State team and 20-9 Mississippi State team. Auburn has wins over LSU, Alabama, Washington State and close loss at LSU. The way the bracket is constituted, it currently has 8 SEC teams (SC, LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama, MSU, Texas A&M and Auburn. Again, this is something to build on and a WNIT long run will help this team. Hopefully she strengthens her schedule and garners some good top wins with it.

Reaction Score
So, I did some analysis of the bubble and I have to say, Vandy for as good a year for them as they are having, are still on the outside. They are part of the 1st 4 out and would need to have some good wins in the SECT. Their main competition is Auburn who has better wins and a harder schedule. The best wins for Vandy are over a 16-10 Iowa State team and 20-9 Mississippi State team. Auburn has wins over LSU, Alabama, Washington State and close loss at LSU. The way the bracket is constituted, it currently has 8 SEC teams (SC, LSU, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Alabama, MSU, Texas A&M and Auburn. Again, this is something to build on and a WNIT long run will help this team. Hopefully she strengthens her schedule and garners some good top wins with it.
I'm not sure. Every SEC team that has finished 8-8 in conference play has made the NCAA tourney, no exceptions. I've heard announcers say it over and over the past few weeks. If Vandy, now 7-7, loses its last two games, I don't think they would deserve a tourney bid. Otherwise, I like their chances.

SEC Standings
South Carolina 14-0
LSU 11-3
Ole Miss 10-4
Tennessee 9-5
Alabama 8-6
Vanderbilt 7-7
Mississippi State 7-7
Texas A&M 6-8
Arkansas 6-8
Auburn 6-8
Florida 5-9