Vance to Rutgers ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Vance to Rutgers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems pretty clear that Vance and his dad thought Larrier was going to be going pro after this last year and they were prepared for VJ to be the guy in the wings on the wing for a year before stepping out onto the stage as a soph. Once TL went down I'd wager they were ready to move on after that considering the uncertainty of TL's return and whether he might be ahead of Vance for a year or more. Silly really since I would've wagered that we would've seen a lot of the two of them on the court at the same time next year in that position less basketball style of play KO has been trying to enact since he's been here.

Reaction Score
Mock Rutgers all you like for their past.

Their current head coach knows what the hell he is doing.

If Ollie goes to the NBA he is the first person you call.
I like Pinkell a lot, but Rutgers is a dumpster fire (not his fault) so not sure what the ceiling is there, NIT team? He does return basically all his key players this year, but has the 12th ranked recruiting class in the Big 10, and does not have much going for 2018 in terms of recruiting going which will be key because 6 or the top 7 players this year will be seniors.

Reaction Score
I like Pinkell a lot, but Rutgers is a dumpster fire (not his fault) so not sure what the ceiling is there, NIT team? He does return basically all his key players this year, but has the 12th ranked recruiting class in the Big 10, and does not have much going for 2018 in terms of recruiting going which will be key because 6 or the top 7 players this year will be seniors.
Fans always think the grass is greener on the other side..

Reaction Score
Vance certainly would have had a place on next years team.
I think KO could have figured out a way to use both him and Larrier .
No VJ or VJ sr didn't want to be here. Once that apparent it's better for both to part ways.

Reaction Score
If you are down and needing a little lift, I offer some schadenfreude. SB Nation on what Vance could mean for Rutgers.

"...landing a player the caliber of Jackson, who was named to the AAC All-Rookie Team and was a Top 100 recruit in the class of 2016, would be a big step forward long term. Not only would he be in line to be an impact starter the following season, Jackson would help Rutgers on the recruiting trail as well. While Pikiell has added solid pieces to the program since his arrival, landing a big name like Jackson would help to change perception and likely give certain recruits more of a reason to consider Rutgers."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you are down and needing a little lift, I offer some schadenfreude. SB Nation on what Vance could mean for Rutgers.

"...landing a player the caliber of Jackson, who was named to the AAC All-Rookie Team and was a Top 100 recruit in the class of 2016, would be a big step forward long term. Not only would he be in line to be an impact starter the following season, Jackson would help Rutgers on the recruiting trail as well. While Pikiell has added solid pieces to the program since his arrival, landing a big name like Jackson would help to change perception and likely give certain recruits more of a reason to consider Rutgers."

Really!!!???
JSMH

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

When Vance Jackson is your most prized recruit seemingly ever. .. this is just the kind of ego pump this kid is looking for. Maybe he just likes being recruited. "All about the chase..."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“It went well,” his father, Vance Jackson Sr., said by phone. “They see Vance being a big part of the team. They want him to be a guy that can be a huge part of the offense.

“They believe in him and know a lot of his skillset and what he can do.”

Hmmmm.

Vance Jackson Enjoys Rutgers Visit, Washington Up Next | Zagsblog
His father sounds like he wants the entire offense to revolve around Vance regardless of who else is there. Kinda like the Bulls and Jordan. What is he smoking?

Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just so it's clear.

When posters point out the poor recent results and the paper thin roster they are accused of damaging recruiting because somehow the recruits can't see a losing record and players transferring and de-committing.

When a player and his father make a decision that hurts some people's feelings they savage the player and father.

It would seem to a reasonable person that attacking specific players and their families for making decisions you don't agree with would be more damaging to recruiting.

#boneyardlogic

Reaction Score
Just so it's clear.

When posters point out the poor recent results and the paper thin roster they are accused of damaging recruiting because somehow the recruits can't see a losing record and players transferring and de-committing.

When a player and his father make a decision that hurts some people's feelings they savage the player and father.

It would seem to a reasonable person that attacking specific players and their families for making decisions you don't agree with would be more damaging to recruiting.

#boneyardlogic
It happens on every passionate fan message board in America. Get over it. In regards to Vance and Lavar, I mean Vance, Sr., the criticism is fair and warranted.

Reaction Score
Just so it's clear.

#boneyardlogic
Attack the kids and not the 3 million dollar man who brought them here. Brush off the defections because the player doesn't buy into the sixth place in AAC UConn way then replace them with nothing. Literally everything in a D1 basketball program starts and ends with the coaching staff, except here. It's the kid and dads fault.

Reaction Score
Attack the kids and not the 3 million dollar man who brought them here. Brush off the defections because the player doesn't buy into the sixth place in AAC UConn way then replace them with nothing. Literally everything in a D1 basketball program starts and ends with the coaching staff, except here. It's the kid and dads fault.
Not even close to true. This doesnt happen at just UConn. Kids choose to go to lower level programs for a bigger role all the time. Its not the staff or the players fault it just happens. No need to assign blame all the time

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Are people really "attacking" Vance? I don't think so. If we can't talk about shortcomings of a player, we might as well close up shop.

As for his dad, his social media postings are way over the top. It is entirely fair game to talk about them.

I don't see it as an issue in the least.

There are those on this board who spend their entire time being contrarians, so that when they are randomly correct they can take a victory lap. That's fine, its part of the BY, but saying that people can't discuss players games or one former player's hugely over reaching dad is just silly.

Reaction Score
No need to assign blame all the time

I respectfully disagree on the need to assign blame. If you are the head coach then you are accountable for everything that happens. whether it be good or bad. If you are getting paid $3 million a year the accountability is even higher.

Clearly Vance wasn't interested in playing the 4 and wanted the offense to run through him. Vance did not want to be a role player and wasn't interested in playing the kind of defense that KO wanted. The mistake KO committed was recruiting a player like Vance. It was never about the talent but more about the vision for the team.

I am not taking a shot at Vance or his father. My guess is they were consistent in their desires for Vance throughout the recruiting process. The flaw is with the coaching staff who did not realize Vance was not a fit for their system. The good news is coaches continue to learn throughout their tenure and the Vance Jackson experiment should help KO better decide what type of player he recruits in the future.

KO is better coach for having gone through the Vance drama....that is the silver lining in an otherwise difficult process.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seems pretty clear that Vance and his dad thought Larrier was going to be going pro after this last year and they were prepared for VJ to be the guy in the wings on the wing for a year before stepping out onto the stage as a soph. Once TL went down I'd wager they were ready to move on after that considering the uncertainty of TL's return and whether he might be ahead of Vance for a year or more. Silly really since I would've wagered that we would've seen a lot of the two of them on the court at the same time next year in that position less basketball style of play KO has been trying to enact since he's been here.
That's a new take on it about TL. May be right.

Reaction Score
Not even close to true. This doesnt happen at just UConn. Kids choose to go to lower level programs for a bigger role all the time. Its not the staff or the players fault it just happens. No need to assign blame all the time
We lost what would be our starting center to an ACC team our only prized recruit to a big east team we have an all AAC rookie looking at Big 10 and PAC schools, Durham is looking at Norte Dame... all of these guys would have gotten tons of burn this year and are now going to P5 schools with deeper rosters than us (except maybe Rutgers idk) so don't act like it was because they couldn't make it here when playing time would have been wide open.

Reaction Score
We lost what would be our starting center to an ACC team our only prized recruit to a big east team we have an all AAC rookie looking at Big 10 and PAC schools, Durham is looking at Norte Dame... all of these guys would have gotten tons of burn this year and are now going to P5 schools with deeper rosters than us (except maybe Rutgers idk) so don't act like it was because they couldn't make it here when playing time would have been wide open.

They all have different stories and I'm sure KO, the staff have some "blame" but if you throw Vance and his dad in and blame KO I don't know what to tell you? The kid got "tons of burn" already and a lot for a freshman Not a tough one to figure out here Farty, he needs to be the man and KO would have none of his dad's preference. Nothing here points to KO or UConn, nothing!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just so it's clear.

#boneyardlogic

The funniest thing here is that it has nothing to do with minutes (which are available in bunches at the 4) nor win/losses (as he's looking at Rutgers).

I don't think there was any way Vance was coming back next year, no matter what happened. Just not the right fit for anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom