Vance to Rutgers ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vance to Rutgers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because we lost a pretty talented player and the loss makes the team worse.

Or because they gained a father/son duo who think he's a lot better than the coaches actually do? Time will tell on this one but he was used as he should have been and anyone thinking other than this wasn't watching.

Not on UConn no matter how this works out, not at all. Just wondering for all of those so happy to talk about how bad it looks for UConn, where are all the big offers for the young man? Let me know I'm curious.

C

Chief00

Kid's wanna be the man. UConn features guards, according to his pops. Rutgers features anybody that can play, so Vance will be showcased in a high major conference. Que sera sera.

Not too long ago, UConn was considered WingU - Rip, Rudy and even Ray to some extent

Reaction Score
Honestly, how is this a knock on KO, if anything who knows what Stevie told him.

He is a tweener in a sense, has zero skills to play the 3 and a little undersized and soft to play the 4 professionally.

KO was going to use him at the 4 and he didn't want to and wants to find a place to play the 3. Steve will realize quickly he can be a serviceable college 4.

He was the worst defender in a decade at UConn, no quickness, slow and ugly release, and a LaVar Ballesque type father.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How? Lmao
upload_2017-5-7_9-59-31.jpeg

Hey Ant....the team is worse without Vance. He was going to get better. But he had 5 toes in and 5 toes out.

Reaction Score
The only thing you can say is he would have provided depth. He was such a bad defender they could improve if Diarra and/or Polley can play the 4 and VJ won't be that missed.

View attachment 22149

Hey Ant....the team is worse without Vance. He was going to get better. But he had 5 toes in and 5 toes out.

Reaction Score
he was, maybe, our second or third best player for a few games against AAC competition.
I'd say he was our 1st best player once or twice and our second best player many times, and I'd say he showed definite, steady improvement as the year went on. Loved his court savvy. He played like a senior, at least in terms of court awareness and ball control.

Reaction Score
I'd say he was our 1st best player once or twice and our second best player many times, and I'd say he showed definite, steady improvement as the year went on. Loved his court savvy. He played like a senior, at least in terms of court awareness and ball control.

Some of the Vance bashing is definitely captain hindsight type stuff. It's a bit like the fallacy of the predetermined outcome - a context only known now is being applied to his play during the season, as if his decision to transfer somehow invalidates anything he did here this season. He was a very promising player who was going to help us a lot over the course of four years. The same thing happened with Durham. We grade him on one scale all year under the presumption that he's a Husky for life and then as soon as he leaves we bring out another scale. If Alex Oriakhi had died in a car crash during the off-season of 2011, he'd be one of the most fondly remembered Huskies ever. That is not an overstatement and it's demonstrative of how people view random outcomes as extensions of divine character traits.

That said, Vance was probably a net zero for us last season, best case scenario. Some of this wasn't his fault. He was forced to play the three when he would have been better suited playing the four. But he was a poor defender and I can say sincerely that when he went down late in the season it didn't really effect my confidence in the team. I thought our best five was JA-RP-CV-KF-AB and because of his ability to play both ends, losing Vital was much more consequential.

Net zero is much better than what most freshman give you, though, and in that regard his loss hurts a lot. But he was never an ideal fit here and with Larrier returning he may have been marginalized, so I guess my take would be that none of this is particularly straightforward.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson is a good basketball player, who will be really good by the time he graduates, if he keeps developing. I was looking forward to what he'd accomplish here, figured he'd have gained a lot from all the minutes he was forced into.

pj

Reaction Score
Vance is a good player, but not especially athletic, so not a great fit for the style of play KO wants to run. I wonder why KO recruited him so hard, to be honest. It seems like they were focused more on the players who could be easily recruited than the players who were the best fit. The hiring of Chillious seems to be a move toward working harder to get the players who are good fits.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Vance Sr may direct another transfer if Vance Jr doesn't get a different jersey number soon. 0 just sends the wrong message about a future hall of famer.

Reaction Score
Not too long ago, UConn was considered WingU - Rip, Rudy and even Ray to some extent
Let's see we've had Daniels,Hamilton ,and Larrier in a much more difficult situation ,Not too shabby. Looks like we still produce wings. UConn fortunes would have been hugely different if The first two stayed another year.
especially DD . Another shooter and we are a completely different team.It would have been interesting to see How the latter would be used with Larrier.
Jackson would have been on the bench except for a Larrier injury he was a freshman shooter only ,who ended up starting.
Let's see we have a guy claiming Vital was D2, Brimah had no hands, Jackson couldn't defend and except for two injuries to Adams we might have won 20 games. In fact with a hobbled Adams we eliminated Houstons Tourney hopes and
Pushed a decent Cinn team to the limit
At as full strength as we could be ,we beat Cuse at a neutral site and a UCF team home and away a team that made the NIT semi's . We also beat Temple home and away.
KO should'be asking for a raise having to deal with the stiffs he had to put on the floor.
Either our players were great and KO has lost it.
I say lost it because 2013 and 2014 were among the top coaching jobs in UConn history.By any coach.
Or our players are substandard ,who in reality have overachieve ,because of our coach.
The law of contraction prevents both from being true.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Some of the Vance bashing is definitely captain hindsight type stuff. It's a bit like the fallacy of the predetermined outcome - a context only known now is being applied to his play during the season, as if his decision to transfer somehow invalidates anything he did here this season. He was a very promising player who was going to help us a lot over the course of four years. The same thing happened with Durham. We grade him on one scale all year under the presumption that he's a Husky for life and then as soon as he leaves we bring out another scale. If Alex Oriakhi had died in a car crash during the off-season of 2011, he'd be one of the most fondly remembered Huskies ever. That is not an overstatement and it's demonstrative of how people view random outcomes as extensions of divine character traits.

You're not wrong. The reality of this is that most kids fall somewhere in the middle RE expectations and outcomes.

Reaction Score
I see it as Vance taking further advantage of a unusual situation (i.e. Larrier injury) here at UConn. He got minutes, production, experience and lots of shine (top AAC rookie) in a season where he was expected to have been 'just a bench player' with little expectations. In one year he went from being a unknown to being known. Just saying Vance is parlaying his freshman 'fame' to garner more PT and more shine. Perhaps he thinks he's better than he really is (at this point).

He's good, but not irreplaceable. Vital is who I was most worried about changing jerseys.

Reaction Score
I see it as Vance taking further advantage of a unusual situation (i.e. Larrier injury) here at UConn. He got minutes, production, experience and lots of shine (top AAC rookie) in a season where he was expected to have been 'just a bench player' with little expectations. In one year he went from being a unknown to being known. Just saying Vance is parlaying his freshman 'fame' to garner more PT and more shine. Perhaps he thinks he's better than he really is (at this point).

He's good, but not irreplaceable. Vital is who I was most worried about changing jerseys.

Spot on Kita. The thing about Vance is so many are right on their opinions. He would have been a good player and even better for 4 years. But he doesn't accept being a piece of the puzzle, it's not his style as we found out from him and his pops. So whether he left this year or next, he was going to depart it's just him. Better we find out now and move on just like we should on this thread. Rutgers, west coast Husky whatever, good luck!

Reaction Score
Vance is a good player, but not especially athletic, so not a great fit for the style of play KO wants to run. I wonder why KO recruited him so hard, to be honest. It seems like they were focused more on the players who could be easily recruited than the players who were the best fit. The hiring of Chillious seems to be a move toward working harder to get the players who are good fits.

Agreed on him being a good player and not being overly athletic but I'm still trying to figure out what KOs style is. Every year he says the same thing; we are going to run, push pace, bla, bla, bla and every year we plod along as a medicore half court team that relies on a great guard to bail out our piss poor offense. I know, we won a title with that style; but that is more a testament to usually having the three best one-on-one players on the court on our side of the ball most of time.

I actually thought Vance was a perfect fit for what our offense has become. If we are going to have stud guards breaking people down, you need someone competent to kick out to. Vance was becoming that guy. Obviously, Vance wanted more than to be a 3 point shooter. But I am certain he would have become a 15ppg type scorer before he left here; had he stayed.

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed on him being a good player and not being overly athletic but I'm still trying to figure out what KOs style is. Every year he says the same thing; we are going to run, push pace, bla, bla, bla and every year we plod along as a medicore half court team that relies on a great guard to bail out our piss poor offense. I know, we won a title with that style; but that is more a testament to usually having the three best one-on-one players on the court on our side of the ball most of time.

I actually thought Vance was a perfect fit for what our offense has become. If we are going to have stud guards breaking people down, you need someone competent to kick out to. Vance was becoming that guy. Obviously, Vance wanted more than to be a 3 point shooter. But I am certain he would have become a 15ppg type scorer before he left here; had he stayed.

Vance could have, if he had been content to defend opposing power forwards. If he had Niels Giffey's mentality. But, that wasn't the case. In any case he would never have been perfect for the up-tempo offense, lock-down defense KO would prefer.

I think KO hasn't had the players to play the style he wants. I think with the Killings and Chillious hires he's focusing on improving recruiting to the point that he can focus it on the players he wants, not the ones that are easy to persuade to come here.

Reaction Score
Vance could have, if he had been content to defend opposing power forwards. If he had Niels Giffey's mentality. But, that wasn't the case. In any case he would never have been perfect for the up-tempo offense, lock-down defense KO would prefer.

I think KO hasn't had the players to play the style he wants. I think with the Killings and Chillious hires he's focusing on improving recruiting to the point that he can focus it on the players he wants, not the ones that are easy to persuade to come here.

Remains to be seen. I absolutely agree that the "content" aspect of Vance adapting to a system was probably never going to happen. But as much as I want to believe that KO wants to play a certain way, well, we've never really seen it. What style do you think he wants to play? I mean we had a lineup of Boat, Bazz, Niels, and Deandre; four pretty talented guys and we ran some pretty good stuff; but we were definitely a half-court team. With Gibbs, DHam, Miller, Purvis we relied on our small forward to facilitate an offense. I guess we could argue that the player mixes have just never been totally right but we've absolutely had some talent that I believe has been absolutely underutilized. I'd love to think that KO wants to be 90s-00s UConn pushing the ball, running, etc. But in five years we really have not been anything close to that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bottom line - If Larrier and AG don't go down, it would be Vance who?
The kid played more than he would have in his first 2 seasons
He was good at times and pretty nothing at times
You hate to lose kids but I agree with those who say better Vance than Vital - at least Vital is a UConn guy - Vance, in MHO was never a UConn guy
Being as good as his father portrays him to be, I am amazed at the lack of offers

Reaction Score
Mock Rutgers all you like for their past.
Their current head coach knows what the hell he is doing.
If Ollie goes to the NBA he is the first person you call.

No Ollie bashing but Steve was my first choice documented here...

This is the ultimate whistling past the graveyard thread.
WE HAVE A WINNER !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman