UVA to Big Ten - not happening | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UVA to Big Ten - not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn was a better fit to go to the ACC than Louisville and we all know how that worked out. For the B1G their expansion is about markets.
ACC was desperate to appease FSU. And they'd already made foolish mistakes (UConn and Syracuse last year was the right move, not UConn and Pitt).

Name a time when the B1G has made a poor or illogical decision.

PSU was available and looking for a conference. BE turns them down--B1G swoops in.
Years later, Nebraska is available. Takes them.
Takes the Mid-Atlantic in one fell swoop with Rutgers and Maryland.

Virginia and UNC are much better fits than GT. I think UVa first and foremost makes a lot of sense to the B1G (not saying their going). Much more than GT. It makes more sense. And the B1G has always made sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ACC was desperate to appease FSU. And they'd already made foolish mistakes (UConn and Syracuse last year was the right move, not UConn and Pitt).

PSU was available and looking for a conference. BE turns them down--B1G swoops in.

Virginia and UNC are much better fits than GT. I think UVa first and foremost makes a lot of sense to the B1G (not saying their going). Much more than GT. It makes more sense. And the B1G has always made sense.

I don't see it. People dismiss the culture too easily. The people in ACC country, in NC and VA, hate, absolutely freaking hate the northern schools, especially those in the Big Ten. Are they quality schools that would otherwise fit as flagships? Sure. But that's where the story ends. UVA and UNC want the ACC to survive. That is their option #1. Option #2 is the SEC. They are not going to the B1G. Likewise, I don't think the B1G wants any school south of DC.

Does that mean I think UConn is high on the list? No. I think it means the B1G is waiting things out. They probably want to observe Maryland and RU for a little while before doing anything else. It gives the Big 12 GOR time to get shorter as well, reducing the buyout cost.

The only conference likely to be active near term is the Big 12. And nobody knows what they have planned.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Friend of mine on the board of UVA. No talks between the Big Ten and them.
Ask him how the board felt about Louisville's academic standing. I am very curious about this.

Reaction Score
I don't see it. People dismiss the culture too easily. The people in ACC country, in NC and VA, hate, absolutely freaking hate the northern schools, especially those in the Big Ten. Are they quality schools that would otherwise fit as flagships? Sure. But that's where the story ends. UVA and UNC want the ACC to survive. That is their option #1. Option #2 is the SEC. They are not going to the B1G. Likewise, I don't think the B1G wants any school south of DC.

Does that mean I think UConn is high on the list? No. I think it means the B1G is waiting things out. They probably want to observe Maryland and RU for a little while before doing anything else. It gives the Big 12 GOR time to get shorter as well, reducing the buyout cost.

The only conference likely to be active near term is the Big 12. And nobody knows what they have planned.
If the B1G delays any moves for the next 24-36 months, it would be good news for UConn since it would allow UConn to:

1. Gain an AAU invite
2. Continue to build the endowment
3. Complete the upgrades of all on campus athletic facilities
4. Have 1-2 years of MBB stability and growth under KO (i.e., sign 2-3, 4+star recruits)
5. Get back to regular NCAA appearances and conference championships for the Men's BB team
6. Acquire 1-2 more national WBB titles
7. Get the football program (and attendance) back on track (i.e., conference championships)
8. Begin fundraising for expansion of the Rent to 50K (in 2014)

The longer this drags out, the stronger UConn will get. When all is said and done, at worst, UConn will end up in the #6 football conference, most likely we'll end up in the #5 football conference and if we can get an invite to the B1G (i.e., the holy grail), we'd be in the #3 football conference. Our immediate focus right now should be to accomplish items #1-8 which are largely under our control. If we do these things, the rest (i.e., conference realignment) will largely take care of itself.

Reaction Score

It's gonna take more fell swoops than Rutgers and Maryland to lock down the northeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom