UVA to Big Ten - not happening | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UVA to Big Ten - not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not buying GT is a better fit that UVa.

Virginia is a better university, with more resources. It's competition (VT) is better at football, but less popular in the state.

UVa hits every B1G marker in the checklist. Hell, as its become a swing state, it seems further away from the "southern" identity it had 10 to 20 years ago, making it more in line with the B1G identity of flagship, northern universities.

UNC is a bigger prize, but I think it is less likely (on UNC's) side.

GT doesn't fit at all. Not flagship. Not even close to continuous (unless they bring in UNC and Virginia. Not the most popular institution in the state.

I was off on Rutgers and Maryland (shocked it happened), so its at least 50-50 I'd be wrong again. But I'm very skeptical. B1G has been good at keeping a coherent identity, and GT does nothing but cut against that identity.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No way is Georgia Tech getting an invite ahead of UConn. Atlanta market = Connecticut market except with pro and SEC competition. Ga Tech would lose half its fans if it went to a northern conference.

After Louisville beat us out to the ACC I know longer make the statement "no way (fill in school) gets an invite over UConn". Something is wrong in the college athletic world and UConn is on the wrong end of the deal. So yeah, GT could very easily get in over UConn.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'm not buying GT is a better fit that UVa.

Virginia is a better university, with more resources. It's competition (VT) is better at football, but less popular in the state.

UVa hits every B1G marker in the checklist. Hell, as its become a swing state, it seems further away from the "southern" identity it had 10 to 20 years ago, making it more in line with the B1G identity of flagship, northern universities.

GT doesn't fit at all. Not flagship. Not even close to continuous (unless they bring in UNC and Virginia. Not the most popular institution in the state.

I was off on Rutgers and Maryland (shocked it happened), so its at least 50-50 I'd be wrong again. But I'm very skeptical. B1G has been good at keeping a coherent identity, and GT does nothing but cut against that identity.
UConn was a better fit to go to the ACC than Louisville and we all know how that worked out. For the B1G their expansion is about markets.

Reaction Score
UConn was a better fit to go to the ACC than Louisville and we all know how that worked out. For the B1G their expansion is about markets.
You do realize we'd bring New England with us?

Reaction Score
Atlanta market. This about cable dollars. Recruiting opens up to fertile Georgia and Florida. And academics are inline. Don't be so shortsighted.

This is about the future. How long do you expect the cable TV market to exist in a recognizable form? Five years tops? Everything is pointing toward wireless delivery through the internet. How does Comcast et.al. live in that paradigm? Once the physical wire is disconnected, all hell is gonna break loose and its the guy making the sweaters that drives that bus, not the guy in the brown truck dropping them off at customers' doors.

The B1G is making strategic moves to secure content. Delivery will still be important, just not monopolized like the people maintaining coax on poles do now. Nimbleness will be a valued attribute for content providers...but not as valuable as content itself.

Why does the B1G want UConn? Because they, together with Rutgers, provide context for the New York market. By context I mean the setting of the contest as opposed to the simple fact that a contest is/will occur. The Yankees playing a game commands an audience. The Yankees playing the Red Sox commands a bigger audience. If the Yankees were to begin play this spring as a brand new team, having never existed as a team before, they would command an audience. The Yankees having the history they do commands a much bigger audience. Visiting the "house that Ruth built" only has meaning because there was a Ruth. The saying goes that the whole is sometimes greater than the sum of its parts.

A Rutgers/UConn rivalry can deliver more than either school taken alone can. Together, they can deliver (a portion of) New York. Alone, each is vulnerable to competitive incursion. There is a little known corallory to the "Law of Decreasing Returns" known as the "Law of Increasing Returns." Under this law, each unit of added input yields even greater (rather than reduced) output. Microsoft Windows followed the "increasing returns" model (for a while anyway...maybe it still does, I don't know) because it had won such a large share of the personal computer market they were virtually assured that new computer sales would bundle Windows with the product even though Microsoft did next to nothing to insure its inclusion.

Occasionally a product will be so successful, the original manufacturer will lose the power to enforcement its copyright. Things like kleenex, band aid, and thermos can no longer prevent newcomers from going to the market and advertising their product as kleenex. I am not here to argue that UConn and Rutgers can dominate the college football market, let alone the sports entertainment market, in New York the way J&J dominated adhesive bandages. What I am arguing is that a meaningful Rutgers/UConn competition would deliver value far beyond what either would alone. Delany MUST be thinking about that. He knows he hasn't secured New York with Rutgers so long as a rogue UConn program draws significant interest with basketball and increasing interest with football.

Being in New York with Rutgers doesn't deliver New York just like being in D.C. with the Terps doesn't deliver D.C. UConn/Rutgers delivers context in New York the same way UVa/UMd does in D.C. That 4 institution coterie also sets up a D.C. vs. NYC context and each of the six pairings UVa/UMd, UVa/Rutgers, UVa/UConn, UMd/Rutgers, UMd/UConn, and Rutgers/UConn adds to that larger context. Throw in Penn State and Phila and the context of the games takes on even greater importance.

Anybody who argues realignment from the perspective of cable boxes served might as well stock up on CRTs to sell to those cable subscribers. Who are the institutions that add value in the future? That's the debate. That's where UConn shines because of its geography, not in spite of it. That's why UConn's academics is important because it presents a school students aspire to attend and alumni are proud to have attended. Proud alumni may be a school's most valuable fans and foremost ambassadors. UConn and UVa are headed to the B1G because that's what makes sense for the future.

Reaction Score
This is about the future. How long do you expect the cable TV market to exist in a recognizable form? Five years tops? Everything is pointing toward wireless delivery through the internet. How does Comcast et.al. live in that paradigm? Once the physical wire is disconnected, all hell is gonna break loose and its the guy making the sweaters that drives that bus, not the guy in the brown truck dropping them off at customers' doors.

The B1G is making strategic moves to secure content. Delivery will still be important, just not monopolized like the people maintaining coax on poles do now. Nimbleness will be a valued attribute for content providers...but not as valuable as content itself.

Why does the B1G want UConn? Because they, together with Rutgers, provide context for the New York market. By context I mean the setting of the contest as opposed to the simple fact that a contest is/will occur. The Yankees playing a game commands an audience. The Yankees playing the Red Sox commands a bigger audience. If the Yankees were to begin play this spring as a brand new team, having never existed as a team before, they would command an audience. The Yankees having the history they do commands a much bigger audience. Visiting the "house that Ruth built" only has meaning because there was a Ruth. The saying goes that the whole is sometimes greater than the sum of its parts.

A Rutgers/UConn rivalry can deliver more than either school taken alone can. Together, they can deliver (a portion of) New York. Alone, each is vulnerable to competitive incursion. There is a little known corallory to the "Law of Decreasing Returns" known as the "Law of Increasing Returns." Under this law, each unit of added input yields even greater (rather than reduced) output. Microsoft Windows followed the "increasing returns" model (for a while anyway...maybe it still does, I don't know) because it had won such a large share of the personal computer market they were virtually assured that new computer sales would bundle Windows with the product even though Microsoft did next to nothing to insure its inclusion.

Occasionally a product will be so successful, the original manufacturer will lose the power to enforcement its copyright. Things like kleenex, band aid, and thermos can no longer prevent newcomers from going to the market and advertising their product as kleenex. I am not here to argue that UConn and Rutgers can dominate the college football market, let alone the sports entertainment market, in New York the way J&J dominated adhesive bandages. What I am arguing is that a meaningful Rutgers/UConn competition would deliver value far beyond what either would alone. Delany MUST be thinking about that. He knows he hasn't secured New York with Rutgers so long as a rogue UConn program draws significant interest with basketball and increasing interest with football.

Makes sense to me. Unfortunately, what makes sense to me hasn't been the way things have been working out.

Being in New York with Rutgers doesn't deliver New York just like being in D.C. with the Terps doesn't deliver D.C. UConn/Rutgers delivers context in New York the same way UVa/UMd does in D.C. That 4 institution coterie also sets up a D.C. vs. NYC context and each of the six pairings UVa/UMd, UVa/Rutgers, UVa/UConn, UMd/Rutgers, UMd/UConn, and Rutgers/UConn adds to that larger context. Throw in Penn State and Phila and the context of the games takes on even greater importance.

Anybody who argues realignment from the perspective of cable boxes served might as well stock up on CRTs to sell to those cable subscribers. Who are the institutions that add value in the future? That's the debate. That's where UConn shines because of its geography, not in spite of it. That's why UConn's academics is important because it presents a school students aspire to attend and alumni are proud to have attended. Proud alumni may be a school's most valuable fans and foremost ambassadors. UConn and UVa are headed to the B1G because that's what makes sense for the future.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

what he said

Reaction Score

And the market the B1G is interested in is the Northeast from Boston to D.C. Not Atlanta. Not North Carolina.

Reaction Score

I disagree that UNC is a bigger prize than either UConn or UVa. Those touting the Tarheels seem to offer the same superficial reasoning that leads to all the pessimism.

Let's see, NC is a more populous state than CT. Check.
The southeast is growing faster than the northeast. Check.
UNC has a better football history than CT. Check.
UNC has a longer basketball history than CT. Check.

Those things are all true. UNC is a great university with much to be proud of...perhaps more than UConn. But this isn't about finding the "best" whatever that means. This is about finding the best partner for the B1G. UNC has a lot of negatives going into that particular battle.

NC is a bigger market but also much more contested. They are no slam dunk to deliver more customers than UConn. In fact, odds are better than 50-50 that UConn delivers more.
UNC doesn't share a common culture with the upper Midwest. They are less likely to develop the heated rivalries UConn will. They will be much more of an outlier and afterthought.
UNC delivers virtually none of the Northeast corridor and its 50 million potential customers.

Whatever side of the head up comparison between UNC and UConn debate you side with, the one with the greater value to the B1G is UConn.

Reaction Score
Look. This is really pretty simple. There is one, and only one, reason for Rutgers to have been invited to the B1G: they want the NYC market. And Rutgers is merely and in-road to the market and doesn't block out competition, so they need to expand further. Who would fit that role? There are just two teams that could do this for NYC: Notre Dame or Connecticut.

Syracuse doesn't fit in the B1G in any way and Boston College is worse. There is no one else for eastward expansion. Connecticut is a flagship university, will be AAU and they are contiguous to New Jersey. Yes, I say they're for all intents and purposes contiguous, because the kind of border made out of New York City is far more valuable than the kind of border made out of an imaginary line drawn through cornfields.

Reaction Score
Look. This is really pretty simple. There is one, and only one, reason for Rutgers to have been invited to the B1G: they want the NYC market. And Rutgers is merely and in-road to the market and doesn't block out competition, so they need to expand further. Who would fit that role? There are just two teams that could do this for NYC: Notre Dame or Connecticut.
Hint: It's not Notre Dame.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

Syracuse doesn't fit in the B1G in any way and Boston College is worse. There is no one else for eastward expansion. Connecticut is a flagship university, will be AAU and they are contiguous to New Jersey. Yes, I say they're for all intents and purposes contiguous, because the kind of border made out of New York City is far more valuable than the kind of border made out of an imaginary line drawn through cornfields.

yes but cornfields are important to me becuase in the end of all of this i need to be able to harvest and serve up corn pies to most here.

Reaction Score
I don't want any of this. My "dream" scenario is BYU and FSU to big 12. And we go to ACC to fill the spot. With no other moves. I just dont think the B1G is calling us anytime soon.

If us to the ACC for the spot vacated by FSU is your "dream" scenario, what's that bolded sentence doing in your post? Why would the B1G's calling schedule matter to you at all? Is there something that would trump your dream?

Reaction Score
yes but cornfields are important to me becuase in the end of all of this i need to be able to harvest and serve up corn pies to most here.

Is there an 800 number I can call to get on the corn pies waiting list?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

This post is the clear favorite for "post of the month".

I enjoy your posts in part because you apply great logic and rationale to the eventuality for which I'd donate my left nut.

Although HFDan's style/approach is slightly different, between the two of you, I'm inspired to maintain hope!

Reaction Score
B1G Christmas List:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. North Carolina
4. Virginia
5. Georgia Tech
6. Connecticut
7. Missouri
8. Kansas
9. bcu (only if it locked in #1)

Edited list -
1. a. (or b) UConn
1. b. (or a) Virginia.

It really is that simple.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
I disagree that UNC is a bigger prize than either UConn or UVa. Those touting the Tarheels seem to offer the same superficial reasoning that leads to all the pessimism.

Let's see, NC is a more populous state than CT. Check.
The southeast is growing faster than the northeast. Check.
UNC has a better football history than CT. Check.
UNC has a longer basketball history than CT. Check.

Those things are all true. UNC is a great university with much to be proud of...perhaps more than UConn. But this isn't about finding the "best" whatever that means. This is about finding the best partner for the B1G. UNC has a lot of negatives going into that particular battle.

NC is a bigger market but also much more contested. They are no slam dunk to deliver more customers than UConn. In fact, odds are better than 50-50 that UConn delivers more.
UNC doesn't share a common culture with the upper Midwest. They are less likely to develop the heated rivalries UConn will. They will be much more of an outlier and afterthought.
UNC delivers virtually none of the Northeast corridor and its 50 million potential customers.

Whatever side of the head up comparison between UNC and UConn debate you side with, the one with the greater value to the B1G is UConn.

Rutgers/MD as selections support this perspective, but I think Nebraska's selection supports UNC. Nebraska was about "brand", and UNC has big brand value (though admittedly in hoops)....

RMoore1999

Reaction Score

One of these days, you ought to take attendance on the USS CONNECTICUT. I believe many more in addition to junglehusky, ctmike, butch, HuskyDan97, fluedslipcon, pj, Registered, Hornoculous and myself on board.

Sounds like Fishy or some other some other pessimistic downer has hurt your feelings...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If us to the ACC for the spot vacated by FSU is your "dream" scenario, what's that bolded sentence doing in your post? Why would the B1G's calling schedule matter to you at all? Is there something that would trump your dream?
I was being sarcastic buddy. The best option longterm for UConn would be to be picked up by B1G. Unless they go to 20. That's just not happening.

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic buddy. The best option longterm for UConn would be to be picked up by B1G. Unless they go to 20. That's just not happening.

Is "That's just not happening" more sarcasm?

Reaction Score
One of these days, you ought to take attendance on the USS CONNECTICUT. I believe many more in addition to junglehusky, ctmike, butch, HuskyDan97, fluedslipcon, pj, Registered, Hornoculous and myself on board.

Sounds like Fishy or some other some other pessimistic downer has hurt your feelings...

The logic is wearing down the naysayers. Once they check the copyright date on their realignment playbook and see it reads "1998" they start getting worried.

Reaction Score
This post is the clear favorite for "post of the month".

I enjoy your posts in part because you apply great logic and rationale to the eventuality for which I'd donate my left nut.

Although HFDan's style/approach is slightly different, between the two of you, I'm inspired to maintain hope!

You, Sir, are a gentleman, and an astute one at that.

Reaction Score
No way B1G adds gtech that is solid sec country. Georgia owns that state and there is no way the the B1G can force cable providers to pick up the B1G network because no one down there cares about B1G football only SEC football. The B1G has too big an ego to take a school that is second fiddle in their state I can see UNC as a solid add but the realist in me cannot see any strong options to go with them.

I do agree with you that uconn + UVA probably does not happen and I only give it any chance because I had a wet dream of it happening last night.

I take it you don't date much...or at all. ;)

Reaction Score
They already get DC and northern VA with Maryland. It's diminishing returns for them to add UVA. Look why is this board the only people that are in a love feet with UVA. No one in the outside credible media is saying UVA. It's pipe dreams and only way to bring in UConn as a partner. Ga tech is much more likely than UVa and will add value in Atlanta market.

Study up on the Law of Increasing Returns.

There's an old story that goes something like this. About 1870 or so, an enterprising young lawyer takes Horace Greeley's advice. He settles in promising community without benefit of a practicioner of the black arts...er...law. On his first anniversary in his new life, he writes to a classmate back east and explained that his practice was floundering and he was thinking of moving or leaving the profession. The classmate convinced him to wait until the classmate could join him. Together, both made a handsome living where one could not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom