UVA to Big Ten - not happening | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UVA to Big Ten - not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
ACC is not a white flag. ACC is sleeping with the prom queen. Yes, there is someone better out there, but it's still the prom queen.

Just so we are all on the same page about our little prom party, this is what your Queen will look like when she sheds the spanks, loses the heels and scrubs all of her caked-on makeup off. She's a little more pimply and certainly shorter, stockier and a bit plumper than you had hoped:

Duke/Wake/Cuse/Pitt/Cuse/bcu/LSVL/Cincy and probably Temple/USF/UCF/fill in the blank.

Do you still want to lure her to the back seat of mommy's minivan in hopes of removing her thong? I for one, am pretty hard up. Desperate, in fact. Life experience is relative and the thought of getting in bed to hump the alternative (Tulane/SMU/ECU/Houston/and rest of CUSA) would drive me, if not to abstinence, perhaps to men.

That said, the smokin hot Queen, the only one with the goodies to really show you a good time, goes to school in the next B1G town over, but rumor has it she's going to wait till she's a bit older to put out....

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
It's Rutgers' affiliation with other B1G schools that might create interest in NYC. Atlanta may have transplants, but that's about as far as the B1G's market there will likely go. And GT fans. You think southerners would want to watch a "yankee" conference? The SEC vs the B1G is almost like a civil war.
I don't think it's southerns as much as ga tech fans wanting to watch their teams games. The b1g and sec can coexist.

Reaction Score
All I can tell you is that the board at UVA has no knowledge of any talks of with the Big Ten. My friend said to me "we bring nothing to the table for the Big Ten other than AAU" - no tv market, average athletics. Whether the school president has been talking to the big ten I dont know. But i got the sense if they were my friend would know about it.

Reaction Score
Unless UVA guarantees UNC goes along with it to B1G then the B1G has no interest. The don't bring anything that the B1G doesn't already have. Also UVA does not make or break ACC stability. The B1Gs real prize is GA tech and UNC. This UVA and UConn to B1G is a pipe dream. It adds nothing they don't already have.

Looked at a map recently?

Reaction Score
Unless UVA guarantees UNC goes along with it to B1G then the B1G has no interest. The don't bring anything that the B1G doesn't already have. Also UVA does not make or break ACC stability. The B1Gs real prize is GA tech and UNC. This UVA and UConn to B1G is a pipe dream. It adds nothing they don't already have.

We are basically going to be playing in the old big east just under the ACC banner. That's inevitable.
Ga tech is as much of a prize as a double cheeseburger from mcds. Get real, aside from being AAU it doesn't fit the mold at all.

Atlanta market yes
Large flagship nope
Good athletics nope
AAU yes
Contiguous nope matter of fact there isn't even a b1g school within 500 miles.

Others have already gotten into the sec vs b1g thing. You think cable subscribers want to pay for two networks when uga is by and far more popular. Not to mention heart of sec country. No way delany makes this move.

Reaction Score
I for one think college basketball drives the NYC bus. You want the market? Pick uconn and su. Rutgers gets you market penetration. All three gets you the .80 they want.

Uconn iu or cuse Ohio state at the garden?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Ga tech is as much of a prize as a double cheeseburger from mcds. Get real, aside from being AAU it doesn't fit the mold at all.

Atlanta market yes
Large flagship nope
Good athletics nope
AAU yes
Contiguous nope matter of fact there isn't even a b1g school within 500 miles.

Others have already gotten into the sec vs b1g thing. You think cable subscribers want to pay for two networks when uga is by and far more popular. Not to mention heart of sec country. No way delany makes this move.
It's not about good athletics see Rutgers and Maryland. This is about market and recruiting. GA Tech is more of a prize to B1G than either UConn or UVA. It's more likely to happen then us to B1G. Sorry.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
It's not about good athletics see Rutgers and Maryland. This is about market and recruiting. GA Tech is more of a prize to B1G than either UConn or UVA. It's more likely to happen then us to B1G. Sorry.

B1G Christmas List:

1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. North Carolina
4. Virginia
5. Georgia Tech
6. Connecticut
7. Missouri
8. Kansas
9. bcu (only if it locked in #1)

Reaction Score
And neither is GT. no way

Reaction Score
The Big ten coexists with two states (indiana excepted).

Iowa with iowa/iowa state
pennsylvania with penn state/pitt

now you want to add georgia with uga/gtech

Big Ten has the dominant program(s) in each state.

So delany is going to go into a deep south region for a second tier program? And why would he violate the big ten's business model to play david to slive's goliath?

I think the B1G and SEC networks can coexist in the same market. If your a GA tech fan your going to make sure you can watch your team. That's what B1G is counting on.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
The Big ten coexists with two states (indiana excepted).

Iowa with iowa/iowa state
pennsylvania with penn state/pitt

now you want to add georgia with uga/gtech

Big Ten has the dominant program(s) in each state.

So delany is going to go into a deep south region for a second tier program? And why would he violate the big ten's business model to play david to slive's goliath?
I don't want any of this. My "dream" scenario is BYU and FSU to big 12. And we go to ACC to fill the spot. With no other moves. I just dont think the B1G is calling us anytime soon.

And to your duplicity point. Taking UVA would have to live with having a stronger program va tech in a different league. Likely SEC too

pj

Reaction Score
No way is Georgia Tech getting an invite ahead of UConn. Atlanta market = Connecticut market except with pro and SEC competition. Ga Tech would lose half its fans if it went to a northern conference.

Reaction Score
Atlanta market. This about cable dollars. Recruiting opens up to fertile Georgia and Florida. And academics are inline. Don't be so shortsighted.
the big isnt going to expand into new markets with 2nd tier teams...

Reaction Score
Atlanta market. This about cable dollars. Recruiting opens up to fertile Georgia and Florida. And academics are inline. Don't be so shortsighted.
No way B1G adds gtech that is solid sec country. Georgia owns that state and there is no way the the B1G can force cable providers to pick up the B1G network because no one down there cares about B1G football only SEC football. The B1G has too big an ego to take a school that is second fiddle in their state I can see UNC as a solid add but the realist in me cannot see any strong options to go with them.

I do agree with you that uconn + UVA probably does not happen and I only give it any chance because I had a wet dream of it happening last night.

Reaction Score
Rutgers? Maryland?
explain which teams are more dominant in those markets. pretty sure rutgers and md are both the flagship universties in their states.
gt is the ugly red-headed step sister to uga... delaney isnt going up against the sec with gt... it isnt a win for the big10 on any level.

Reaction Score

We are basically going to be playing in the old big east just under the ACC banner. That's inevitable.

The B1G just took Maryland and Rutgers. You're saying UVa is not good enough? Here's something UVa brings. A lot of talent. NoVa and the Norfolk/Va Beach area are talent hotbeds. The B10 needs more football players, not to mention the DC and Richmond TV markets. Not to mention UVa's status as one of the nation's top universitities. UVa actually brings a lot to the table.

I mean, the real prize is Georgia Tech? Compared to UVa? GTech doesn't bring half, or a quarter even, of the value that UVa has.

Reaction Score
All I can tell you is that the board at UVA has no knowledge of any talks of with the Big Ten. My friend said to me "we bring nothing to the table for the Big Ten other than AAU" - no tv market, average athletics. Whether the school president has been talking to the big ten I dont know. But i got the sense if they were my friend would know about it.

Your friend said that? After Maryland and Rutgers were added? Does he not know about the great football talent in Virginia?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
The B1G just took Maryland and Rutgers. You're saying UVa is not good enough? Here's something UVa brings. A lot of talent. NoVa and the Norfolk/Va Beach area are talent hotbeds. The B10 needs more football players, not to mention the DC and Richmond TV markets. Not to mention UVa's status as one of the nation's top universitities. UVa actually brings a lot to the table.

I mean, the real prize is Georgia Tech? Compared to UVa? GTech doesn't bring half, or a quarter even, of the value that UVa has.
They already get DC and northern VA with Maryland. It's diminishing returns for them to add UVA. Look why is this board the only people that are in a love feet with UVA. No one in the outside credible media is saying UVA. It's pipe dreams and only way to bring in UConn as a partner. Ga tech is much more likely than UVa and will add value in Atlanta market.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Rutgers and Maryland weren't slam dunks for the Big Ten. Other than UNC, Notre Dame or Texas I don't think any of the other remaining candidates are slam dunks either. If Delany is going to expand again in the next year UConn might be too much of a reach unless Delany can convince his membership to go for a buy-and-hold move. That's why I'm worried about two ACC schools getting in the B1G before us. If UConn is somehow going to wind up in the Big Ten IMHO it'll most likely be at least 5-10 years down the road, during which time it has to make its fanbase more solid and continue improving academics and research. Any addition right now is a reach and I'd rather UConn had a more solid case to make.

Reaction Score
They already get DC and northern VA with Maryland. It's diminishing returns for them to add UVA. Look why is this board the only people that are in a love feet with UVA. No one in the outside credible media is saying UVA. It's pipe dreams and only way to bring in UConn as a partner. Ga tech is much more likely than UVa and will add value in Atlanta market.

I seriously consider this crazy talk. And no, Maryland is not more popular than UVa in NoVa, and you're pumping a team not very popular in its own state over the flagship of a state that has a densely populated area to the north, and two cities in the center and south that are solid second tier cities in size (Richmond and Norfolk). Not to mention the wealth of talent in Va.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I seriously consider this crazy talk. And no, Maryland is not more popular than UVa in NoVa, and you're pumping a team not very popular in its own state over the flagship of a state that has a densely populated area to the north, and two cities in the center and south that are solid second tier cities in size (Richmond and Norfolk). Not to mention the wealth of talent in Va.
I'm not saying md more popular in va. I'm saying that md brings northern va market because md is part of DC market which includes northern va. Just like Fairfield cnty is part of NYC market if Rutgers actually gets claim to NYC cable then they will be carried in the FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom