Utah State Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Utah State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our players stink, but guys are so routinely making basic mental mistakes that you have to chalk it up to poor coaching.
How about chalking it up to not having a defensive coordinator? No money? Who knows? Mora’s trying and if you look at the team stats, we won in almost every category.

Reaction Score
You know how we lost an automatic 3 or 7 points that in Retrospect cost us a win?

Toward the end of the second half a fourth and 1. Instead of taking time and putting in THE FRIDGE we RUSH to the line for a qb sneak and get stuffed.

Why? Why the rush? It was an easy yard for stafford to make, he gets it, then we get 3 or 7 and wind off more clock which would have prevented a last second TD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Run the ball and kick the field goal, that’s what I want them to do.
You would be torching Charlton again for his play calling if they did that.

At some point the players need to execute. There are times it seems like they are put in terrible spots but this was not one of them.

It was a very conservative play call to get a high percentage completion. If our qb could could execute we have a big play (the blocking was there, Rosa easily gets the 1st and likely much more) and have a chance to go up 21-0 into the half.

Reaction Score
You know how we lost an automatic 3 or 7 points that in Retrospect cost us a win?

Toward the end of the second half a fourth and 1. Instead of taking time and putting in THE FRIDGE we RUSH to the line for a qb sneak and get stuffed.

Why? Why the rush? It was an easy yard for stafford to make, he gets it, then we get 3 or 7 and wind off more click which would have prevented a last second TD.

Yeah that is top 10 wtf calls of the past 10 years. Stafford was a guaranteed yard. No idea why rush to do nothing.

Reaction Score
I'll respectfully disagree. We had a lucky, random-walkish combination of good effort from the O and D in the first half, combined with scheisen play by the D backs in the second half, combined with mixed bag of good and bad play calling throughout the game, all topped of by the cherry-on-top new way to lose- open the flood gates and let the conversion get blocked. Overall a continuing combination of incosistent play combined with the ongoing litany of simply stupid play against a NOT-GOOD team. If USU had a decent D we would have lost by three TDs.

Sorry- no solace and no moral victory here.

Beleive me I wish it were otherwise.
Who ever said it was a moral victory? It’s a gut-wrenching loss. Just being competitive doesn’t make it a moral victory, especially the way this season has been a complete demoralizing dud thus far.

Reaction Score
The decision not to run the clock down in the first half and then kick the FG is totally on Mora. 17-0 with all the momentum rather than giving an explosive team the ball with 40 seconds left.
So it was 17-7. Game ended 34-33. And, the defense could have stopped Utah State at any time. Was it a mistake? Yes. But it is still the defenses fault.

Reaction Score
John is right. Let's hit the portal big time.
That should have been the first thing he did when he showed up. Some coaches it’s just not their style. Can’t see Mora doing that now.

Reaction Score

Why? Why the rush? It was an easy yard for stafford to make, he gets it, then we get 3 or 7 and wind off more clock which would have prevented a last second TD.
Agree, and this to me was the only thing on the coach. I think you mean 2nd quarter, not half. If you go back and watch the play before, the catch by Clercius, I think he had the yards for the first down but they spotted the ball a good yard and a half short. Mora should have used a TO and give them time to review, at the very least I think they move the ball closer to the first down marker and then you could bring in Stafford to pick up the first. Not doing that and calling a QB sneak from a yard and a half away with a 170 lb QB was not smart. That was on the coaching. Everything else is on the players. This coaching staff didn't just suddenly stop knowing how to coach. This is players not making winning plays and not playing intelligently.

Reaction Score
I do this this team has improved. I am not thrilled with Roberson but we may be able to win several games this season.

Reaction Score
How about chalking it up to not having a defensive coordinator? No money? Who knows? Mora’s trying and if you look at the team stats, we won in almost every category.
Whet is a DC supposed to do? The issue isn’t scheme, it is execution. They got beat on a 72 yard and 52 yard pass plays.

I mean, come on. That isnt scheme.

Reaction Score
Obviously everybody is going to focus on the extra point but the secondary lost that game.
Our offense showing nothing in Q3 did it for me... Our D isn't the greatest, but it could be steady enough with our O showing some fight at the exact same time. Valiant effort by the O at the end, but the 3rd Quarter.... no answer to Utah State scoring 3 times on us. You can't just go back yo back 3 & outs like we did...Cannot happen...
One play you just don't run deep on your side if the field is that T Formation 3rd and 1... you run that at the opponents 30, not yours, when your trying to regain momentum. That hurt us right there.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Whet is a DC supposed to do? The issue isn’t scheme, it is execution. They got beat on a 72 yard and 52 yard pass plays.

On the first one they didn’t account for the outside receiver. That could be execution. On the second one they had a safety in single coverage on a guy who runs a 4.3. That’s not scheme? Ross Tucker thought it was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It takes time to turn over roster. And, coaches do make mistakes and kids don’t develop. I am saying that Mora should get more aggressive at turning roster over.
I agree. Be more aggressive with higher tier talent...

Reaction Score
does anyone think the dancing after the 1st-half sack near student section was way, way overdone? Thought that was a bad sign. You're 0-4. get to the next play, which the DBs almost didn't. And judging by that end-of-half faceplant looks like they spent more time rehearsing dances than learning their roles. Same thing with the U.S. Ryder Cup team talking smack to the Europe fans when they're getting their butts kicked. overall defensive indiscipline is 100 pct. on Mora, who I like.
Could you make out the student section through all the empty seats? 400 or 500 would be my guess, including the band.

Reaction Score
Taquan Roberson grew up a little today. He showed that he could drive the ball down field. But I still hope he continues to grow and use other weapons allotted to him. Go through more progressions and find other receivers not named Buckman, Joly, and Ross.... Nice to see he found TE Davis and WR Porter in the endzone today. Hope we see more of those guys making catches...
One last thing, it'd be nice if he can get accuracy down for those out other backfield to RBs

Reaction Score

Are you kidding??? With all the missed assignments? We need a DC who can teach these kids what coverage is.

Reaction Score
Need to stop making excuses and ad Dave needs to step up too.
Scoe -- I agree totally. But UConn just isn't paying enough for assistant coaches for an FBS team.

Reaction Score
Taquan Roberson grew up a little today. He showed that he could drive the ball down field. But I still hope he continues to grow and use other weapons allotted to him. Go through more progressions and find other receivers not named Buckman, Joly, and Ross.... Nice to see he found TE Davis and WR Porter in the endzone today. Hope we see more of those guys making catches...
One last thing, it'd be nice if he can get accuracy down for those out other backfield to RBs
He played better today, but if he really wants to grow up he needs to run with the ball when he has ten open yards in front of him.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I agree and (unpopular opinion warning) I don’t think it’s time for a QB change based on his improved play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom