Utah State Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Utah State Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
The simple fact of the matter is that UConn has been trying to play FBS football for what, 20 years or so? And that UConn has been playing high level BB for maybe twice as long, without quibbling about definitions? That paying, say, 20 players (total) handsomely enough to keep UConn relevant nationally both in MBB and WBB is doable, yet without adding P4 TV revenues, adding 40 players salaries and signing bonuses at market rates to be relevant in FB is NOT doable given the accessible donor base for football.

Given that background, today's result is perfectly understandable. UConn is getting what it pays for. Anything more is unsustainable. Especially in a year when UConn is poised to win two more basketball championships. That was not the case last year. So yes, UConn I am sure allocated less money for FB players this year in order to capitalize on their position in BB. Never has this been clearer than today after this week's Structural Barriers discussions.

We are at a critical juncture. Does it make sense for UConn to play FB in this environment? I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that barring a P4 invitation next year, the answer is probably not.
They're never going to stop playing football..Why do people say that

Reaction Score
I agree and (unpopular opinion warning) I don’t think it’s time for a QB change based on his improved play.
Everyone here needs to remember that Roberson at Penn St played maybe a handful of snaps in garbage time. He then transfers to UConn and gets a serious injury on the first series of the year. Out a whole year and now today starting only his 3rd college game. He's essentially a freshmen still. With playing time those missed screen passes to Rosa are made, with time and more confidence in his knee he will run more and we did see more of that today. Given all the drops, the fact that our receivers don't get separation and the overturned TD throw against FIU because of a penalty and I would say his numbers are pretty good. Give the kid some time, I thought he looked good today and he will continue to grow.

Reaction Score
UConn's offense clearly works better when they go up tempo. That last drive made Utah states defense look like they were lost. Maybe it's time to stop with the ground and pound and go full up tempo. Roberson seems to perform better in that type of offense.

Reaction Score
You know how we lost an automatic 3 or 7 points that in Retrospect cost us a win?

Toward the end of the second half a fourth and 1. Instead of taking time and putting in THE FRIDGE we RUSH to the line for a qb sneak and get stuffed.

Why? Why the rush? It was an easy yard for stafford to make, he gets it, then we get 3 or 7 and wind off more clock which would have prevented a last second TD.
A 10-14 point swing. Horrible coaching decisions

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Watching Mora on the sidelines - he looked exasperated by some of the bonehead plays.
You wonder if at end of season he hangs it up

At some point the Edge Lord act about the end of UConn's football program becomes trolling. Is this board at that point yet?

Reaction Score
UConn's offense clearly works better when they go up tempo. That last drive made Utah states defense look like they were lost. Maybe it's time to stop with the ground and pound and go full up tempo. Roberson seems to perform better in that type of offense.
No...I disagree... we need to mix it up.... ground and pound does work... then up tempo, when needed does too. I think we need a few more horses

Reaction Score
The who doesn’t really matter - it’s the what. On several plays it appeared some of the secondary were playing man and some were playing zone. That, predictably, led to problems.

I think Mora is the right guy - I believe in what he can do here. But I think he needs to focus on being the head coach and get someone he trusts to run DC. We are not good enough to succeed if anyone’s attention is divided.
Thank you, glad someone said it.

Reaction Score
Agree about JM getting a DC. Mora comes from a defensive background and likes to be involved but during the game he does not look to be involved with the offense at all and I bet this is true for practice as well. Our special teams need to be better. UtSt commits a personal foul on our 4th Q field goal and we are kicking off close to midfield. Why not squib kick it and try and pin them deep? The extra point block was a failure in basic blocking rules and it wasn't a freshman making it. This needs to be addressed.

Reaction Score
How about chalking it up to not having a defensive coordinator? No money? Who knows? Mora’s trying and if you look at the team stats, we won in almost every category.
Mora’s choice and has an experienced analyst

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the game. The replay of the blocked PAT actually shown a yellow circle around the tight end who missed the block.

Reaction Score
One of Utah States TD drives we gave them 30 yards in penalties. Another I believe it was 25. Maybe it's time to start sitting people who do dumb things

Reaction Score
Then he should have started game 1.
He hadn't played a full game since 2018 in HS, he was coming off injury, did not play Spring football, and he doesn't seem like he has fully recovered his speed after the injury. I think that is why Fagnano was selected the starter.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was because USU was tired, but whatever we did that 4th quarter on offense we need to start doing the whole game. Hadn't seen us move the ball that well since David Pindell was QB.

Reaction Score
No...I disagree... we need to mix it up.... ground and pound does work... then up tempo, when needed does too. I think we need a few more horses
I agree 100 per cent with this post. We need to do both.

Reaction Score
Go watch something else then.

UConn isn’t paying the players. The donors are.

This season is a huge disappointment but it’s not like it was under Edsall where we lose a game like this by 40.
Yeah, that's exactly the point, the donors are. You seem to be a bit slow in comprehending the donors are not stepping up for football. And the unrestricted donations are being allocated more to BB than FB because that is the priority.

Reaction Score
I would remind you that almost every major public research university is FBS I don't think it is a coincidence. I would not leave FBS and I would not get rid of Mora. I would use the transfer portal and spend some more cash to get some decent assistant coaches.
And where are you gonna get that cash? If it was as easy as that it woulda been done long ago. The donors obviously see natties in BB as more attractive than mediocre football.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, and I’m gonna disagree with some of what I’ve seen so far here. There were a lot of high points in a game, and some outstanding plays by our offense and to a lesser extent, the defense. We had a few big letdowns and we’re just not good enough to let a receiver catch a screen pass and run untouched for 70 yd touchdown. And then do it again. And also on the special teams plays we just continue to make mistake after mistake. And I don’t think that’s a talent issue. I think it goes to coaching And preparation. And Mora, that one is squarely on your shoulders.

We just don’t have the winners mentality and it shows when we self-destruct or there’s a special teams play that’s important. And I’m tired of hearing that it’s a talent issue and remember where we were a couple years ago. This is a coaching issue and maybe Mora needs to hire a defensive coordinator, maybe NC has to go? But the fact is we’re not going to a bowl game this year and all I know is I saw a tremendously entertaining game today that we came up short.

Reaction Score
And where are you gonna get that cash? If it was as easy as that it woulda been done long ago. The donors obviously see natties in BB as more attractive than mediocre football.
What about from the approximately $600M university endowment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom