UT - pet peeve... | The Boneyard

UT - pet peeve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So every once in a while someone will pop on the board and refer to Tennessee as UT. It always confuses be because to me, UT is Texas and Tenn is Tennessee. It's not that hard to type 2 extra letters when referring to Tenn, but anyhoo...

For kicks, I did a google search for UT. Try it. Here's what came up for me - the following websites were all hyper links:
  1. The University of Texas at Austin
  2. UT Austin (@UTAustin) | Twitter
  3. The University of Texas at Dallas
  4. Welcome to the University of Texas at San Antonio | UTSA
  5. The University of Texas at El Paso Home
  6. San Diego Union-Tribune
  7. University of Texas at Austin - Wikipedia, the free...
  8. UT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (note this website was for UT comics - an adult humor comic)
  9. The University of Tampa - A private Florida University
  10. The University of Texas at Tyler
So this is the entire first page of the Google search. Nowhere on there does it even come close to referencing Tennessee with 1 exception - the sexual harassment lawsuit that was was filed against Tenn. Even most logos for Tennessee are just one big capital "T" in orange. Point is, I'm not sure if it's possible, but it would be helpful and less confusing if people would consider referring to Tennessee as "Tenn" and reserving UT for the University of Texas. :p

Thank you for your consideration...!

307a7bf7806cd30daf62f4b764f03e53.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree with you.
Just like USC is University of South California, SCAR is University of South Carolina (from ESPN).
I thought about adding that in too, but figured one "rant" was enough for the day LOL.....

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Or perhaps an alternative to this thread title could read:

The tournament can't start soon enough!

Sorry Eric - I don't mean to disparage your's or anyone else's pet peeves. It's just that there's too much idle time between the end of the conference tourney and the first round of the NCAA's.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with you.
Just like USC is University of South California, SCAR is University of South Carolina (from ESPN).
Well, just for fun...

The University of Southern California was founded in 1880, and is a private university. The University of South Carolina was founded in 1801, and it is a public university. Therefore, based on age and public status, USC is the University of South Carolina, Southern Cal is the University of Southern California. My Father-in-Law got his MBA from Southern Cal, and I graduated from USC; after years of heated (and fun) arguments, the Classes of '56 and '92 agreed that this was correct.

Reaction Score
So every once in a while someone will pop on the board and refer to Tennessee as UT. It always confuses be because to me, UT is Texas and Tenn is Tennessee. It's not that hard to type 2 extra letters when referring to Tenn, but anyhoo...

For kicks, I did a google search for UT. Try it. Here's what came up for me - the following websites were all hyper links:
  8. UT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (note this website was for UT comics - an adult humor comic)
So this is the entire first page of the Google search. Nowhere on there does it even come close to referencing Tennessee with 1 exception - the sexual harassment lawsuit that was was filed against Tenn. Even most logos for Tennessee are just one big capital "T" in orange. Point is, I'm not sure if it's possible, but it would be helpful and less confusing if people would consider referring to Tennessee as "Tenn" and reserving UT for the University of Texas. :p

The grammar police strike and there is a mistake in the second sentence. :D No malice but how many people coming on this forum are going to think the letters UT are referring to the San Diego Union - Tribune? :confused: Again not being mean spirited or trying to out Google you but here is a list of dozens of UT's from the University of Tennessee to Uma Thurman. ;) http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/University+of+Texas .
Most times the first sentence will let the reader know if someone is commenting on Tennessee or Tampa, Toledo, Toronto, Tokyo, Tehran or Trento.
If this is not comforting enough, the simple / sad fact that the UT program is becoming a non factor should all but eliminate most comments on that program here.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I've never understood why it matters so much to other people how a person refers to their school.

UT, USC, MSU, UA, OSU.. the list goes on and on..

There are only 26 letters in the English alphabet and thousands of schools. Crossover in initialing was inevitable.

Southern Cal fans that argue about prestige granting them the rights to "USC"... I can just as easily argue that the state of South Carolina being federally recognized as abbreviated to SC grants the University (U) of South (S) Carolina (C) the rights to "USC" as well. And that's before I even touch the fact that the school is older than the state of California...

Reaction Score
Well, just for fun...

The University of Southern California was founded in 1880, and is a private university. The University of South Carolina was founded in 1801, and it is a public university. Therefore, based on age and public status, USC is the University of South Carolina, Southern Cal is the University of Southern California. My Father-in-Law got his MBA from Southern Cal, and I graduated from USC; after years of heated (and fun) arguments, the Classes of '56 and '92 agreed that this was correct.
Then why does it only say "Carolina" on the men's uniform?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well, just for fun...

I approve this message.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We could avoid this confusion about which USC team we are talking about by simply referring to one as Gamecocks and the other as Trojans. :rolleyes:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Don't forget these guys...

pda_ut_logo_2006.gif

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sorry Eric - I don't mean to disparage your's or anyone else's pet peeves. It's just that there's too much idle time between the end of the conference tourney and the first round of the NCAA's. [/QUOTE]
upload_2016-3-11_8-20-28.png
This wait is putting on our training wheels for the April to November clock and calendar watch,

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, just for fun...

Just for a little more fun, South Carolina College was established in 1801. University of South Carolina didn't come into being until after the Civil War.

USC is Southern Cal.

S. Carolina is South Carolina

If you don't believe me, Google it. See what comes first. ;)

Oh yea and Eric's correct. UT is Texas. TN or TENN or Tenn or Vols or The Dark Side or The Empire or any other disparaging terms can be used for Tennessee. :cool:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Sorry Eric - I don't mean to disparage your's or anyone else's pet peeves. It's just that there's too much idle time between the end of the conference tourney and the first round of the NCAA's. [/QUOTE]
This wait is our training wheels for the April to November clock and calendar watch
upload_2016-3-11_8-35-52.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've never understood why it matters so much to other people how a person refers to their school.
It doesn't matter so much, it just has to do with being correct and communicating. When someone writes "USC", anyone with more than half a brain immediately thinks Southern Cal. If the poster wants to communicate "S. Carolina" then they should do so.

There are only 26 letters in the English alphabet and thousands of schools. Crossover in initialing was inevitable.
Exactly, that's why people need to (or should) stick to the established abbreviations.

. And that's before I even touch the fact that the school is older than the state of California...
Well that is just not true. California became a state in 1850. University of South Carolina came into being after the Civil War.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

It matters because, presumably, you are trying to communicate. If you confuse people it's going to interfere with that, and some listeners eventually feel: "Screw this. It's not worth my effort to translate this stuff." That's why you should care.

It's almost like you are trying to exclude people: "I'm in this special club that understands my neato reference, and those that don't get it don't belong."

BTW, one my biggest bugaboos is the tendency on this board to use initials when it's at least as simple to spell it out. Why say KLS when it's just as easy, and clearer, to use Lou -- especially since KLS is so similar to KML. And CD had best only refer to the coach, as much as we like Caroline and Crystal (and others?).

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You probably would since it's not correct.

It's like arguing that something called the United Services Association (est 1700) has the same right to using the acronym USA as does this country. And no one should complain or be confused.

Missouri State thinks they are the 'cool' MSU. But MSU is Michigan State, always and forever. Just the way it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, Tennessee still has a woman's basketball team? Hmmm, who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom