OT: - USWNT - Who's next? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT - Who's next?

Reaction Score
I don't know about the world championship but the USA should be inviting Paige, Sabrina and Clark for every camp they have to get experience as they are the future and i believe will be on the 2024 Olympics team.

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget about the WNBA all-stars that beat this team in exhibition play. The replacements can be found on that team to fill any holes on the 2024 roster. It should not be hard to select the 12 best players from the WNBA at selection time. It would have been interesting to see how that team of all-stars would have faired in this year’s Olympic pool play.
Easy to forget as that game was meaningless to the National team. It did mean something to the all stars.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
SJF, I agree 110% about Arike making or NOT making the NT!
The committee (who-ever that may be) wants players that are willing & able to sacrifice everything for the good of the program!
Arike doesn't fit that mold.
Arika doesn't know the concept of team ball. Watch her play for Dallas and you can easily see what her mindset is on each play. Team USA is about chemistry and Arika has no shot of understanding that, but I believe the 3x3 team fits her game very well, with long range shooting and very quick play.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of Arike by any means ( talented but too much of an attitude) but, I think she would be much better at the point than Skylar

Reaction Score
Very, very good point. I think this year they equaled reruns of Green Acres.
At least this years Olympics included some events that were live in US prime time. In Paris that number will be 0. That will not help ratings.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Not a fan of Arike by any means ( talented but too much of an attitude) but, I think she would be much better at the point than Skylar
What good is a point guard if she takes more shots than the rest of the team combined??? The points guards duty is to get the ball to the players that are open for an easy shot.

Reaction Score
At least this years Olympics included some events that were live in US prime time. In Paris that number will be 0. That will not help ratings.
The Gable Stevenson wrestling match was live and perhaps the greatest wrestling match in history.

Reaction Score
Arike is a great player and would be perfect for the 3x3 but should have nothing to do with the 5x5 National team. Just too much of a 1 on 1 player with bad shot selection and decision maker...
Good call. Who will stop her in 3x3? No one. In 5x5, real issues.

Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard may be another one in the pool. She hasn’t been made to play defense in college, but she’s as good an offensive player as you can find and not a ball hog.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You never know how players will mesh on the national team - Angel McCoughtry has never had a great rep as a 'team player' but she (and Geno) found a niche for her skills and she played really well for two cycles.

I think that is the beauty of Geno's coach on the USA team - finding and defining roles specific to the player's talent and the team's needs for all 12 players. Something that I don't think was well executed for this Olympic team. Whalen and Bird were completely different point guards and yet both were able to run a equally effective team in the same games.

Reaction Score
0% Paige will be in the 2024 roster. Even Clark or someone else, the process that Fiba takes rewards people that go through the process except Nneka for whatever reason. In 2024 Paige would have just finished her 4th year in Uconn and in 3 months she's gonna be in the Olympic roster? Her chance will come but in 2028. Like posters have said the Wnba has plenty of veterans that can fill this roster. Arike is definitely worthy of being on the roster and other players like Mabrey who might improve might make a case in 3 seasons. Also people are sleeping on another player you might have seen her in the final 4, her name is Aari Mcdonald. After her 4th season in WNBA I expect her to be one of the top players in the league.

Reaction Score
0% Paige will be in the 2024 roster. Even Clark or someone else, the process that Fiba takes rewards people that go through the process except Nneka for whatever reason. In 2024 Paige would have just finished her 4th year in Uconn and in 3 months she's gonna be in the Olympic roster? Her chance will come but in 2028. Like posters have said the Wnba has plenty of veterans that can fill this roster. Arike is definitely worthy of being on the roster and other players like Mabrey who might improve might make a case in 3 seasons. Also people are sleeping on another player you might have seen her in the final 4, her name is Aari Mcdonald. After her 4th season in WNBA I expect her to be one of the top players in the league.
Breanna Stewart made the Olympic roster immediately following graduation. Paige very well could do the same.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart made the Olympic roster immediately following graduation. Paige very well could do the same.
I agree, but let me expand a little. If Paige stays healthy and if she has a couple more years in CBB like her freshman year, she makes the 2024 team. However, these are big IFs, but every other player have IFs too.

OT: who is going to knock DT out of Paris :)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Something I don't think been's mentioned enough is that the 2021 team was clearly inferior to the 2016 Olympic team, which had:

Bird, DT, Fowles, Charles--all 5 years younger.
Four of the best wings in WNBA history in
MAYA MOORE!!!
EDD!!!
Angel McCoughtry
Tamika Catchings

Augustus, Whalen, Catchings at the end of their careers.
Stewart and Griner at the beginning.

So the fact that the 2021 team didn't look at good as the 2016 team, even with Stewart, Griner, and Wilson all at the top of their games, shouldn't surprise folks. The composition of the team was always post heavy and that was going to change how they played.

Reaction Score
Something I don't think been's mentioned enough is that the 2021 team was clearly inferior to the 2016 Olympic team, which had:

Bird, DT, Fowles, Charles--all 5 years younger.
Four of the best wings in WNBA history in
MAYA MOORE!!!
EDD!!!
Angel McCoughtry
Tamika Catchings

Augustus, Whalen, Catchings at the end of their careers.
Stewart and Griner at the beginning.

So the fact that the 2021 team didn't look at good as the 2016 team, even with Stewart, Griner, and Wilson all at the top of their games, shouldn't surprise folks. The composition of the team was always post heavy and that was going to change how they played.
Part of the problem is the change in talent at positions, such as the point and the 3. In other words, the scarcity of players who were natural at those positions.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Seems to me there are few obvious candidates among existing WNBA players. either they are old enough that age could be a factor in three years, or they have not yet dominated in the league. Someone will probably emerge and become a clear choice, but the door is open for some current college players like Paige. Off hand I could see Boston, H. Jones , Brink and Clark as possibilities if current WNBA players don't stand out.
Sue said that the torch was passed to her and Dee 20 years ago. They have run their portion of the race, and are now passing the torch to those coming behind them. Fear not friends, there will more than enough super star and all star players ready willing and able to take the baton and carry on the legacy this team has established.

The USA will be well represented at the Paris games in 2024. Anyone here think team USA won’t be the “heavy” favorite to win gold in Paris? There are 144 players in the WNBA. I think the selection committee can sort out and pick the best 12 to send to Paris. They’ve done it for the last seven Olympics. Why should they falter now?

The first players I’d look at would be the 12 members of the WNBA All-Star team that beat the national team in an exhibition game in July. If they were good enough to beat them, they’re good enough to join them. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If healthy Paige is already ready. :cool:
uh no, shes not. the Olympics are a very very very different ball o wax
Diana, as college grad in 2004, got 0 starts and shot 37%.

Stewie, as college grad in 2016, played 11 mpg.

Reaction Score
I believe this was the last olympics for Taurasi, Bird, Fowles, and Charles. I don't think Atkins or SDS showed enough to be included again. Collier also didn't show much, but if she improves I could see her returning for Paris.

So you basically have six/seven spots for newcomers. In my opinion, Wilson, Stewart, Griner, Loyd, and Gray are the most likely to be in Paris. There will definitely be an influx of young talent, as it's time to build a new generation of core player. I would expect to see both Ionescu and Paige, and likely Clark. The next generation of wings and posts is not yet clear in my mind.

I would also point out that Skylar Diggins-Smith did not win herself any automatic return to the roster for 2024. Digging-Smith only managed 6.5 minutes per game, and scored just 1.6 ppg. And she'll be 34 next time round, which also militates against her inclusion when there are excellent younger alternatives available: Paige, Clark, and Ionescu. Nor did Ariel Atkins help herself to another spot on the roster.

Don't think Tina Charles will return, based not least on the fact that she'll be 35 years old next time. D and Sue will not return.

Will Napheesa make the roster? Really surprised that she was a non-factor in this games.

Gray was superb, and was one of the four factors that won the Gold. The others being the all-time classic frontline of Breanna, Britney, and A'ja. No one else really stood out.

But next time, the tournament could be very rough. With a potentially very young backcourt playing against seasoned pros from Europe and the Japanese league, and with an aging front court trio, it won't be any easier than this year.

And won't the Ogwumike sisters be playing for Nigeria? And Ogunbowale? Isn't she a dual citizen as well? If they team up, will Nigeria be the team most likely to challenge the U.S.?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
uh no, shes not. the Olympics are a very very very different ball o wax
Diana, as college grad in 2004, got 0 starts and shot 37%.

Stewie, as college grad in 2016, played 11 mpg.
So we disagree, therefore I challenge you to a duel. The only fair way to judge who's right, after all there is no way to see this play out on the court. You pick the weapons and I'll chose the time and place. Good luck to you Mr. V

Reaction Score
SJF, I agree 110% about Arike making or NOT making the NT!
The committee (who-ever that may be) wants players that are willing & able to sacrifice everything for the good of the program!
Arike doesn't fit that mold.

Isn't Arike eligible for the Nigerian team? Have I got that mixed up?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom