OT: - USWNT - Who's next? | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT - Who's next?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It was hard to refrain from posting some of these thoughts and questions until after the gold medal game, however I thought it best. I'm not an expert on international play, however I understand that after the core of the Olympic team is configured, the bench players are there for specific roles, however, IMHO, there were some that didn't pass my eye test. I'm not looking to relitigate who didn't make the team this year, however I'd love some discussion and debate on who's next.

The big question - who replaces Sue and Diana in the backcourt? Gray was impressive, handled pressure fairly well, and shot the ball well. Lloyd and SDS didn't seem to handle pressure well, and although I get being on the big stage with so much pressure, will they be able to develop that presence? Will more int'l experience give them what they need?

So who's next? Will Paige be seasoned enough in three years? What other guards in the WNBA should be considered for the pool?

For post players, I was incredibly impressed with Griner and Wilson. They are probably the core of post players for the future. Stewie is the "swiss army knife", and can fill the need either inside or outside. Pheesa is young, so a few years of int'l experience could help her develop. No opinion good/bad on Atkins, as I didn't see enough of her play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whether Paige is the starting pg in 2024 or the ageless wonder, Sue Bird hangs around for #6, I strongly suspect that Paige will be on that team after completing her senior year at UConn. Just like Stewie in 2016, Paige is the future of USWBB.

Reaction Score
It was hard to refrain from posting some of these thoughts and questions until after the gold medal game, however I thought it best. I'm not an expert on international play, however I understand that after the core of the Olympic team is configured, the bench players are there for specific roles, however, IMHO, there were some that didn't pass my eye test. I'm not looking to relitigate who didn't make the team this year, however I'd love some discussion and debate on who's next.

The big question - who replaces Sue and Diana in the backcourt? Gray was impressive, handled pressure fairly well, and shot the ball well. Lloyd and SDS didn't seem to handle pressure well, and although I get being on the big stage with so much pressure, will they be able to develop that presence? Will more int'l experience give them what they need?

So who's next? Will Paige be seasoned enough in three years? What other guards in the WNBA should be considered for the pool?

For post players, I was incredibly impressed with Griner and Wilson. They are probably the core of post players for the future. Stewie is the "swiss army knife", and can fill the need either inside or outside. Pheesa is young, so a few years of int'l experience could help her develop. No opinion good/bad on Atkins, as I didn't see enough of her play.
I don't like Gray at the point. Dribbles too much, not fast enough, doesn't set up the team only another player, and can't lead like Sue or D could. There was no other pure point on the team.

Paige is the heir apparent. Her skill level is extraordinary and the physicality can be offset to a certain extent by that. I also think Clark will be there. She is also a unique talent whom we have never seen on a top flight team. It will be Stewie, BG and Wilson underneath again without Fowles and maybe without Charles. We also need a natural top flight 3 on the team who can drive, shoot the 3, and get out in transition. In 3 years Paige will either be the starter or the back up. She is the future of Team USA.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The front line of Wilson, Stewart and Griner are a given. Reserves - Collier and Charles.

As to guards/ wings - not sure Dee returns despite her "see you in Paris" chirp. Best two players as I see it for the guards are Paige and Caitlin. Sabrina Ionescu maybe. Her two years in the WNBA have not been impressive. And her injuries have not helped. Gray probably comes back in a backup role. She should not be the lead candidate for PG to run the team. Lloyd maybe. Atkins and Diggins-Smith not sure. Some have mention Kelsey Plum for her her 3x3 performance. Not sure. But there is three years to sort this out.

Most glaring weakness is at the small forward/wing or the 3. Don't see Maya or Della Donne coming back. Katie Lou maybe. But she might want to stay with the 3x3 format.

Plenty to discuss until 2024.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Most glaring weakness is at the small forward/wing or the 3. Don't see Maya or Della Donne coming back. Katie Lou maybe. But she might want to stay with the 3x3 format.

But Stewie was the MVP at small forward. Stewie is an unbelievable mismatch for every other 3 in the world. With Griner and Wilson handling the rebounding, Stewie was able to take off and run the court, scoring countless fastbreak baskets.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not sure about Paige as a point guard for the Olympic team. Yes, she certainly is a unique talent and eventually I believe she’ll make her way there, but 2024? I’m just not sure if she’ll have accumulated enough experience for it to make sense.

Then again, betting against Paige would seem to be a losing move.

Reaction Score
The front line of Wilson, Stewart and Griner are a given. Reserves - Collier and Charles.

As to guards/ wings - not sure Dee returns despite her "see you in Paris" chirp. Best two players as I see it for the guards are Paige and Caitlin. Sabrina Ionescu maybe. Her two years in the WNBA have not been impressive. And her injuries have not helped. Gray probably comes back in a backup role. She should not be the lead candidate for PG to run the team. Lloyd maybe. Atkins and Diggins-Smith not sure. Some have mention Kelsey Plum for her her 3x3 performance. Not sure. But there is three years to sort this out.

As Stewie continues to grow, she will be the 3, 4, or 5 at the Olympics. By the amount of minutes Stewie was on the floor, you can tell she is the glue to the team.
As long as Sabrina gets healthy, she will be on the team, Gray, Loyd, played well enough to be on the team. Up front Stewie, Wilson, Griner, Collier should be back. The players who join them next year for the Fiba world championships, will have to prove themselves.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whoever steps in as the “next generation” for USWBB, one thing seems clear. So long as Stewie is around, every other country is playing for 2nd place. The scary thing about Stewie is she’s still getting better. Her handle, court vision, ability to run the court and fill the lane, mid range jumper have all improved significantly in the last few years.

Best of all, Stewie raises her game on the biggest stage and wins championships. What a remarkable basketball player.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Gray played the role that Whalen played for Team USA, an aggressive, change-of-pace point guard who scores. Sue was like Dawn in that she would start the game off by getting the team organized, make sure the right players got the ball where and when they want it, etc. Either way, Gray will be a very important piece moving forward. Ionescu has to be given every opportunity to step in as a point guard starting with next year's World Cup.

Reaction Score
In the final game 7 players got significant minutes. I don’t know how you can bet against Gray Loyd Stewie Aja Griner.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I like combo guards of Paige and Sabrina in 2024. They both have uncanny court vision and make great decisions.

My first thought for a front court player is Alyssa Thomas if she can get healthy. I believe she's played some with the National team, she's a team-first player, her style is well-suited to the international game, and she's 27 so should be good for at least two Olympics.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Do not count out MoJeff...and a reunification of Breanna, MoJeff and the surprise renaissance of the inscrutable Maya Moore.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I’m not sure about Paige as a point guard for the Olympic team. Yes, she certainly is a unique talent and eventually I believe she’ll make her way there, but 2024? I’m just not sure if she’ll have accumulated enough experience for it to make sense.

Then again, betting against Paige would seem to be a losing move.
The international game is brutal, she better get better at handling some serious rough housing, which some teams did with her last year, and I'm sure she'll get much more this year., comes with being a Uconn superstar.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd say some top candidates are:

Front court (likely 7 players):
Brittney Griner (if still playing)
Sylvia Fowles (if still playing)
Aja Wilson
Tina Charles
Breanna Stewart
Nneka Ogwumike
Napheesa Collier
Aliyah Boston
Natasha Howard
Elena Delle Donne (if she decides to play)
Nalyssa Smith (I could see her being a very good 3 in a couple of years)

Back Court (likely 5)
Chelsea Gray
Jewell Loyd
Skylar Diggins
Sabrina Ionescu
Betnijah Laney
Paige Bueckers
Caitlin Clark
Ariel Atkins
Courtney Williams

I wouldn't be shocked if Bird is still playing....if she's playing at a good level still I think she'll likely get a spot, even at 43.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This tourney showed that you simply do not need as many post players as team USA brought. As long as they have Griner, Wilson and Stewart, Stewie will start at the 3, out of position for her, but as the glue and MVP of the entire team, it may well be that way for the forseeable future.

The biggest glaring weakness was at the 3 spot. But look at Japan, making it to the finals with a 6'1" post player and at least 3 other guards on the floor. I see it as (IMHO)

Locks: Stewie, Wilson, BG, Charles, Loyd

High bubble: Gray (Chelsea)

Bubble: Fowles (yes Sylvia on the bubble - she hardly played as Tina was a much better option and USA is simply overstocked on bigs - she may be the odd woman out), Diggins, Collier, Atkins

Question marks: Sue, Dee (in spite of Dee's "see you in Paris)

I would take a hard look at moving Plum and Gray (Alisha) over from the 3x3. The problem is if you want to win gold in the 3x3, it's so different, you need practice and cohesion. Jackie Young was barely adequate (not her fault - give her more practice I'm sure she would be fine).

If the "locks" are correct, then the US is set at the 4-5 spot so that leaves 7 remaining spots for the 1-3 positions. In addition to the above mentioned players I'd also take a look at Ty Harris (SD) and Jefferson. The WC is only 1 year away so it will be interesting to see how that pans out

Also I'd not be surprised to see Reeve take over as the HC going forward. If they are going to make a change, I would think they would want the new HC starting with the WC team to get his/her feet wet.

Reaction Score
FWIW Bird has already said that this was her last Olympics in a presser.

I’d say that you go with:

Chelsea Gray/Sabrina Ionescu/Paige Buckets
Jewell Lloyd/Caitlin Clark
Bentijah Laney/Haley Jones
Breanna Stewart/Wilson
Brittany Griner/Natasha Howard

Realisticaly, USA Basketball probably won’t bring back Ogwumike after the publicity surrounding the situation. I’d wonder if Boston, Brink, or another center in college steps up enough to be considered.

Reaction Score
This tourney showed that you simply do not need as many post players as team USA brought. As long as they have Griner, Wilson and Stewart, Stewie will start at the 3, out of position for her, but as the glue and MVP of the entire team, it may well be that way for the forseeable future.

The biggest glaring weakness was at the 3 spot. But look at Japan, making it to the finals with a 6'1" post player and at least 3 other guards on the floor. I see it as (IMHO)

Locks: Stewie, Wilson, BG, Charles, Loyd

High bubble: Gray (Chelsea)

Bubble: Fowles (yes Sylvia on the bubble - she hardly played as Tina was a much better option and USA is simply overstocked on bigs - she may be the odd woman out), Diggins, Collier, Atkins

Question marks: Sue, Dee (in spite of Dee's "see you in Paris)

I would take a hard look at moving Plum and Gray (Alisha) over from the 3x3. The problem is if you want to win gold in the 3x3, it's so different, you need practice and cohesion. Jackie Young was barely adequate (not her fault - give her more practice I'm sure she would be fine).

If the "locks" are correct, then the US is set at the 4-5 spot so that leaves 7 remaining spots for the 1-3 positions. In addition to the above mentioned players I'd also take a look at Ty Harris (SD) and Jefferson. The WC is only 1 year away so it will be interesting to see how that pans out

Also I'd not be surprised to see Reeve take over as the HC going forward. If they are going to make a change, I would think they would want the new HC starting with the WC team to get his/her feet wet.
Not sold on Tina, doesn't seem quick enough most of the games on defense. She struggled in a number of games.

Reaction Score
Not sold on Tina, doesn't seem quick enough most of the games on defense. She struggled in a number of games.

Realistically, you might think that this was definitely Sylvia’s last go round at 35, and Tina’s 32, so might be difficult for them to withstand the physicality in the WNBA and be good to go in three years as a post.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I would not put Tina Charles as a lock, given her age (She'll be 35 next Olympics). Whether or not she makes the team, there's no way Arike is not in the conversation for a guard spot.

Would love for B.Jones from CT sun to get a look, though it will be very hard to break into the post spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom