OT: - USWNT - Who's next? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT - Who's next?

Reaction Score
I believe this was the last olympics for Taurasi, Bird, Fowles, and Charles. I don't think Atkins or SDS showed enough to be included again. Collier also didn't show much, but if she improves I could see her returning for Paris.

So you basically have six/seven spots for newcomers. In my opinion, Wilson, Stewart, Griner, Loyd, and Gray are the most likely to be in Paris. There will definitely be an influx of young talent, as it's time to build a new generation of core player. I would expect to see both Ionescu and Paige, and likely Clark. The next generation of wings and posts is not yet clear in my mind.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The Uconn haters would go insane !
UCONN haters are already insane. ;) Looking forward to what the future of WBB holds on all levels, thankful for our National teams Olympic success players and coaches. Most of us have a wish list for players and coaches, however in the next 2+years a lot can and will happen. I hope we see the next National team with another solid core of Husky's on the court. Without Carnac's crystal ball I'll just have to wait and see how things come together.
We now shift our attention back to our POI, recruits and our preferred lineups for the upcoming season. Although we had a few disappointments this past season our team gave us more amazing moments than I expected. I'm jacked for the what will come and look forward to sharing it with all on the BY. Life is good.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
UCONN haters are already insane. ;) Looking forward to what the future of WBB holds on all levels, thankful for our National teams Olympic success players and coaches. Most of us have a wish list for players and coaches, however in the next 2+years a lot can and will happen. I hope we see the next National team with another solid core of Husky's on the court. Without Carnac's crystal ball I'll just have to wait and see how things come together.
We now shift our attention back to our POI, recruits and our preferred lineups for the upcoming season. Although we had a few disappointments this past season our team gave us more amazing moments than I expected. I'm jacked for the what will come and look forward to sharing it with all on the BY. Life is good.
Well said!!

Reaction Score
I assume Arike Ogunbowale will be on Team USA in 2024. Sabrina Ionescu should be on there as well. Paige will be on there as well. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'd say some top candidates are:

Front court (likely 7 players):
Brittney Griner (if still playing)
Sylvia Fowles (if still playing)
Aja Wilson
Tina Charles
Breanna Stewart
Nneka Ogwumike
Napheesa Collier
Aliyah Boston
Natasha Howard
Elena Delle Donne (if she decides to play)
Nalyssa Smith (I could see her being a very good 3 in a couple of years)

Back Court (likely 5)
Chelsea Gray
Jewell Loyd
Skylar Diggins
Sabrina Ionescu
Betnijah Laney
Paige Bueckers
Caitlin Clark
Ariel Atkins
Courtney Williams

I wouldn't be shocked if Bird is still playing....if she's playing at a good level still I think she'll likely get a spot, even at 43.

you think Nneka will still be in the pool?
I could see her having no interest in playing for USA basketball anymore. Not to mention she did try to convert to the Nigerian national team.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I believe this was the last olympics for Taurasi, Bird, Fowles, and Charles. I don't think Atkins or SDS showed enough to be included again. Collier also didn't show much, but if she improves I could see her returning for Paris.

So you basically have six/seven spots for newcomers. In my opinion, Wilson, Stewart, Griner, Loyd, and Gray are the most likely to be in Paris. There will definitely be an influx of young talent, as it's time to build a new generation of core player. I would expect to see both Ionescu and Paige, and likely Clark. The next generation of wings and posts is not yet clear in my mind.

Atkins, like Collier, is very young (25 and 24 respectively). Would certainly not count her out, given how she's improved every year in the pros. Diggins though, at 31, is probably as good as she'll ever be at this moment.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Everyone talking about Paris in 2024. There is a World Cup that tips off in a little more than 13 months from now. Although Team USA automatically qualifies for the WC based on its Olympic Gold Medal, the team still must participate in a qualifying tournament in 2022. All that is to say we don't have to wait until 2024 to see roster changes.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For players such as Napheesa , Skylar, and Ariel Adkins, their performance in these Olympics will have a near-zero impact on whether they are selected for the 2024 team. What will be far more determinative is how they play in the WNBA and in their international leagues between now and 2024.

I don't think that Maya is coming back to play pro basketball, but I definitely think that EDD (if she manages to stay healthy) will be a member of the 2024 Olympic team, and probably a starter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no idea what happened with Charles in this Olympics because I have watched her in the WNBA this year and she has been on fire, but something about this team threw her off her game. Not sure what, but she looked lost for most of her minutes on the court. I think her future depends on who the next coach is.

My thought about this team is that the starters knew their roles, but the bench had not had specific roles based on their specific skills defined for them so they either tried to play their WNBA game or tried to play one of the starters games and were generally ineffective in either role because they didn't mesh with the other players on the court with them. Jewell for example was most effective in early games because she played with Stewart and Bird and could play 'Seattle' ball, but later she was struggling to know what to do.

I am not sold on Gray - Dawn seemed to be forcing her to play the point even when DT or Sue were on the court and the offense just wasn't as well organized and the defense seemed to falter as well. I don't really think any of the rookies except Wilson is a lock for future teams. In 2014 they tried Sims, 2018 they tried Clarendon, Loyd, and Plum, this year they tried Gray, Atkins, Diggins-Smith, and kept Loyd and their NT pool has included Copper, Deshields, Canada, Sykes, 2 Mitchells, Hayes, Durr, McBride, Samuelson, and Williams (Courtney) (and a few others I am sure.) And yet they have failed to identify really viable players to take the torch. They have certainly been looking and trying to integrate the next generation, but ...

I do think few college players have the ability to step right into the NT - the senior NT needs international experience both on the team and in league play around the world - one of the real drawbacks to Diggins-Smith - because the international game and refs are a different beast. USA teams have their worst records in the Pan American Games because they send college players to a NT event even though the America's do not generally have the best NTs in the world.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Everyone talking about Paris in 2024. There is a World Cup that tips off in a little more than 13 months from now. Although Team USA automatically qualifies for the WC based on its Olympic Gold Medal, the team still must participate in a qualifying tournament in 2022. All that is to say we don't have to wait until 2024 to see roster changes.
There is gonna be a ton of action in the next 13 months:
— Name a replacement for Callan as NT director
— Name a new head coach and assistants
— Name a new selection committee (not sure where in the order this would fall?)
— Select a player pool in advance of 2022 WC (do they name a pool for WC years?)
— Play a qualifying tournament
— Select a WC roster

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is gonna be a ton of action in the next 13 months:
— Name a replacement for Callan as NT director
— Name a new head coach and assistants
— Name a new selection committee (not sure where in the order this would fall?)
— Select a player pool in advance of 2022 WC (do they name a pool for WC years?)
— Play a qualifying tournament
— Select a WC roster
They selected a player pool for 2017-20 in 2017 (added and subtracted players during the 3 years that turned into 4 years.)

For the NT director look for coaches who are no longer coaching - short term solution: Dan Hughes? long term solution: Jen Rizzotti! (really blow peoples minds!) Don't know enough about the rest of the USA WB administration to know if there is a candidate internally. Another name Sherri Coale?

For the pool of players they have usually had about 25.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have no idea what happened with Charles in this Olympics because I have watched her in the WNBA this year and she has been on fire, but something about this team threw her off her game. Not sure what, but she looked lost for most of her minutes on the court. I think her future depends on who the next coach is.

My thought about this team is that the starters knew their roles, but the bench had not had specific roles based on their specific skills defined for them so they either tried to play their WNBA game or tried to play one of the starters games and were generally ineffective in either role because they didn't mesh with the other players on the court with them. Jewell for example was most effective in early games because she played with Stewart and Bird and could play 'Seattle' ball, but later she was struggling to know what to do.

I am not sold on Gray - Dawn seemed to be forcing her to play the point even when DT or Sue were on the court and the offense just wasn't as well organized and the defense seemed to falter as well. I don't really think any of the rookies except Wilson is a lock for future teams. In 2014 they tried Sims, 2018 they tried Clarendon, Loyd, and Plum, this year they tried Gray, Atkins, Diggins-Smith, and kept Loyd and their NT pool has included Copper, Deshields, Canada, Sykes, 2 Mitchells, Hayes, Durr, McBride, Samuelson, and Williams (Courtney) (and a few others I am sure.) And yet they have failed to identify really viable players to take the torch. They have certainly been looking and trying to integrate the next generation, but ...

I do think few college players have the ability to step right into the NT - the senior NT needs international experience both on the team and in league play around the world - one of the real drawbacks to Diggins-Smith - because the international game and refs are a different beast. USA teams have their worst records in the Pan American Games because they send college players to a NT event even though the America's do not generally have the best NTs in the world.

Part of the problem for Loyd may have been trying to figure out how to make an impact on offense when so much of the focus was on pounding the ball inside. Even Stewie struggled a bit figuring out how and when to take shots without forcing things. Sue and Dee were fine with feeding the posts and taking open shots when available, but that's tougher on younger guards who are used to having the green light to make plays for themselves. How content would Arike have been feeding Griner and Wilson for most possessions? Same with Courtney Williams.

A big reason why Sue and Dee have been able to extend their careers and continue to play at a high level is their commitment to fitness and how they completely changed their bodies. This is something Gray will need to do going forward. She'll be 31 years old in 2024. I know she relies on her physicality and strength more than speed and quickness but the game (international particularly) is getting faster.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They selected a player pool for 2017-20 in 2017 (added and subtracted players during the 3 years that turned into 4 years.)

For the NT director look for coaches who are no longer coaching - short term solution: Dan Hughes? long term solution: Jen Rizzotti! (really blow peoples minds!) Don't know enough about the rest of the USA WB administration to know if there is a candidate internally. Another name Sherri Coale?

For the pool of players they have usually had about 25.

I think folks need to understand the role of the National Team Director: Callan is responsible for all USA Basketball women's team programs, including competitions, trials, training camps, and serves as a liaison to women's competition committees.

All USA Basketball programs, not just the Senior National team. That means coordinating and attending all the national team trials (U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19 and WNT) and attending all the international competitions. She's involved in all of it, selecting coaches and players, travel, accommodations. Did I mention 3x3 teams? That too. Of course she has a staff, but this is not a job for Dan Hughes or Sherri Coales.

Reaction Score
I thought Stewie handled the rebounding pretty well too. In fact she was the best all-around player, with the most minutes played.
Yes , Ms. Stewart was the ALL ROUND player. B.Griner was the hammer!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think folks need to understand the role of the National Team Director: Callan is responsible for all USA Basketball women's team programs, including competitions, trials, training camps, and serves as a liaison to women's competition committees.

All USA Basketball programs, not just the Senior National team. That means coordinating and attending all the national team trials (U-16, U-17, U-18, U-19 and WNT) and attending all the international competitions. She's involved in all of it, selecting coaches and players, travel, accommodations. Did I mention 3x3 teams? That too. Of course she has a staff, but this is not a job for Dan Hughes or Sherri Coales.

Thanks. Who chooses the committee members who, in turn, select the teams? Is that also the responsibility of the National Team Director?

If so, that person can influence -- as you've spelled out -- virtually all aspects of the program.

That's the big hire.....

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Rizzotti could be a viable option, however. But it would require selecting this as a career. Sherri and Dan wouldn't be in the running, I'm expecting Dan will love being retired, maybe do some broadcasting (he is good at it, if a bit technical). Or it could be someone from the administrative side.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Well, that might depend on who is doing the selecting? Will the committee change?
Who will populate it? What will the Director and coach be looking for?

Some coaches want a player who can create her own shot so there could be a place for an Arike and/or Courtney Wllliams. Might not be some folks' cup of tea, but both possess that ability to go for two. And they have speed.

This will be interesting over the next few months.

p.s. BTW, I'll now put by ND experience in play: all five players from the 2018-19 team scored 1,000 pts. Arike took the ball to the hole a lot, but it was moved around the horn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rizzotti could be a viable option, however. But it would require selecting this as a career. Sherri and Dan wouldn't be in the running, I'm expecting Dan will love being retired, maybe do some broadcasting (he is good at it, if a bit technical). Or it could be someone from the administrative side.
Maybe, If not for the Sun job. She and her family just moved back to CT. This job is based in CO though perhaps could be done remotely.

Reaction Score
But Stewie was the MVP at small forward. Stewie is an unbelievable mismatch for every other 3 in the world. With Griner and Wilson handling the rebounding, Stewie was able to take off and run the court, scoring countless fastbreak baskets.
My only concern going forward is that without Sue and probably D, will those fast breaks first continue and then will the ball be delivered in the right place at the right time.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks. Who chooses the committee members who, in turn, select the teams? Is that also the responsibility of the National Team Director?

If so, that person can influence -- as you've spelled out -- virtually all aspects of the program.

That's the big hire.....
Well of course. My point in laying out the responsibilities was simply to dispel the notion that this is some cushy job that some retired coach could do. Carol Callan was involved in every aspect of the women's national teams, both large and small. When Sue Bird wanted to know about the electrical outlets in Japan she texted Callan. The new director could define the job differently, of course, but probably around the margins. Callan has held the position since 1996 (at 43 yrs old) and before that served in different roles for USA BB for 4 years. This is a job one should hold for several years.

The asst director of the women's national teams is Briana Weiss, formerly with the Big East and before that DBO at Villanova. She was hired by USA BB in May of 2021 so she is a newbie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom