OT: - USWNT - Who's next? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: USWNT - Who's next?

Reaction Score
Locks:
Guards: Chelsea and Jewel
Wings: Stewie and Collier
Forwards: BG, and Aja

Chelsea may not be the typical starting PG, but she has experience and I don’t see the team compromising mostly of Olympic rookies.
Collier didn’t impress these games, but Stewie didn’t get much playing time in Rio either. Collier will only continue to improve.

Gray and Plum will probably be brought over from the 3x3 team. Because of their experience.

Charles and Syl are on the bubble for me. It depends on if they stay healthy. Once again. They bring experience. Which is needed because Stewie , Aja, and BG will be the starting forwards.

Diggings-Smith and Ariel, one and done. Enough said.

Ionescu is a wild card for me because she hasn’t been healthy since last year.

Potential :
Deshields, Clark, Paige and Boston.
if they take Clark, Paige and Boston, I expect Charles or Syl to be chosen based upon their experience alone.

ogunbowale will be mentioned, but she doesn’t play defense. Clark is just as dynamic as Ogunbowle. However, Clark plays defense.

Reaction Score
Locks:
Guards: Chelsea and Jewel
Wings: Stewie and Collier
Forwards: BG, and Aja

Chelsea may not be the typical starting PG, but she has experience and I don’t see the team compromising mostly of Olympic rookies.
Collier didn’t impress these games, but Stewie didn’t get much playing time in Rio either. Collier will only continue to improve.

Gray and Plum will probably be brought over from the 3x3 team. Because of their experience.

Charles and Syl are on the bubble for me. It depends on if they stay healthy. Once again. They bring experience. Which is needed because Stewie , Aja, and BG will be the starting forwards.

Diggings-Smith and Ariel, one and done. Enough said.

Ionescu is a wild card for me because she hasn’t been healthy since last year.

Potential :
Deshields, Clark, Paige and Boston.
if they take Clark, Paige and Boston, I expect Charles or Syl to be chosen based upon their experience alone.

ogunbowale will be mentioned, but she doesn’t play defense. Clark is just as dynamic as Ogunbowle. However, Clark plays defense.
There is no way that 2 college players are on an Olympic team. Boston would have to be great in the first couple years in the WNBA to qualify.

Reaction Score
I really like the suggestion of promoting from the 3x3 team -- Allisha Gray, in particular. She played some great defense, was a versatile scorer, handled the physical play well. Plum too, although she was more streaky imo.

Reaction Score
I really like the suggestion of promoting from the 3x3 team -- Allisha Gray, in particular. She played some great defense, was a versatile scorer, handled the physical play well. Plum too, although she was more streaky imo.
And Allisha can play the 3

Reaction Score
OK, top priority is building the best 5x5 team possible. However, in my opinion, a close second is the 3x3 team. I want to win that as well. Maybe some very good players will aspire to the 3x3 game with the show the US team put on this year?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Especially if Reeves gets the coaching position as expected

Reaction Score
So many possibilities. But I think the main thing is, blending veteran experience with young ballers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
you think Nneka will still be in the pool?
I could see her having no interest in playing for USA basketball anymore. Not to mention she did try to convert to the Nigerian national team.
Yea, I think both sides set that bridge on fire.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From a MN point of view

Souhan: Reeve in charge, Bueckers at guard? U.S. women's hoops likely to improve - StarTribune.com

As a four-time WNBA champion and dedicated member of Team USA, Reeve is a logical choice to maintain the USA's dominance, and there are two more Minnesota-based words that bolster this premise:

Paige Bueckers.

Imagine Bueckers, entering her prime, running an offense including Stewart, Wilson and some of the young WNBA stars. With her flair and command of the game, Bueckers will be an international superstar.

Imagine this lineup: Bueckers, Stewart, Wilson, Griner and ... just about anyone. Maybe Sabrina Ionescu. Maybe a phenom we don't know about yet. Maybe Lynx star Napheesa Collier, the youngest player on the current U.S. Olympic roster.

Paige Bueckers, the former Hopkins star now at UConn, could be the point guard for the 2024 Olympians.

Reeve might want Lynx center Sylvia Fowles on that team, to try for her fifth gold medal. Collier makes sense because of her versatility and size. But Reeve will be picking from a treasure chest.

The 2024 team will likely be better than the 2021 team, and the 2021 team coasted to gold.

Reaction Score
It was hard to refrain from posting some of these thoughts and questions until after the gold medal game, however I thought it best. I'm not an expert on international play, however I understand that after the core of the Olympic team is configured, the bench players are there for specific roles, however, IMHO, there were some that didn't pass my eye test. I'm not looking to relitigate who didn't make the team this year, however I'd love some discussion and debate on who's next.

The big question - who replaces Sue and Diana in the backcourt? Gray was impressive, handled pressure fairly well, and shot the ball well. Lloyd and SDS didn't seem to handle pressure well, and although I get being on the big stage with so much pressure, will they be able to develop that presence? Will more int'l experience give them what they need?

So who's next? Will Paige be seasoned enough in three years? What other guards in the WNBA should be considered for the pool?

For post players, I was incredibly impressed with Griner and Wilson. They are probably the core of post players for the future. Stewie is the "swiss army knife", and can fill the need either inside or outside. Pheesa is young, so a few years of int'l experience could help her develop. No opinion good/bad on Atkins, as I didn't see enough of her play.
Why isn't Courtney Vandersloot not in the conversation? I think Smith at Baylor gets a look up front after a few years in the W. Della Donne will be 34 for Paris, very young compared to DT or Sue. If healthy and if she wants to, she has experience and a unique skill set that nobody her size, outside Stewie, has. She should be considered. Expect Sabrina, Clark, Paige, and maybe even Fudd to get looks at though it might get some W players upset if a college kids makes it before a pro does.

Reaction Score
Why isn't Courtney Vandersloot not in the conversation? I think Smith at Baylor gets a look up front after a few years in the W. Della Donne will be 34 for Paris, very young compared to DT or Sue. If healthy and if she wants to, she has experience and a unique skill set that nobody her size, outside Stewie, has. She should be considered. Expect Sabrina, Clark, Paige, and maybe even Fudd to get looks at though it might get some W players upset if a college kids makes it before a pro does.
Vandersloot has played internationally for the Hungarian National Team, IIRC since the US never called her up.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I hope so. Of the two, I prefer Paige.
Minus the fact that she plays for UConn, can I ask why? We have a much larger sample size for Ionescu, against much better competition.

I am biased, but if Laney continues to play as she has the past two years, she should 100% be on the team as the backup wing. At 6ft and given her skills, she's a much more natural backup at the 3spot than Collier (who should be the backup to Wilson, IMO). She's also one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, which will be a huge need for the team.

Reaction Score
Minus the fact that she plays for UConn, can I ask why? We have a much larger sample size for Ionescu, against much better competition.

I am biased, but if Laney continues to play as she has the past two years, she should 100% be on the team as the backup wing. At 6ft and given her skills, she's a much more natural backup at the 3spot than Collier (who should be the backup to Wilson, IMO). She's also one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, which will be a huge need for the team.
Sure. Paige is a better shooter, has the Bird/DT sense of the next move of the game, is a heartless winner, and can control the game from the point position. Sabrina does all the above, but Paige is better at them. Of course, we are talking 3 years from now so there is growth, physical development, maturity, experience and other factors I am projecting positively for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As Stewie continues to grow, she will be the 3, 4, or 5 at the Olympics. By the amount of minutes Stewie was on the floor, you can tell she is the glue to the team.
As long as Sabrina gets healthy, she will be on the team, Gray, Loyd, played well enough to be on the team. Up front Stewie, Wilson, Griner, Collier should be back. The players who join them next year for the Fiba world championships, will have to prove themselves.
How quickly we forget about the WNBA all-stars that beat this team in exhibition play. The replacements can be found on that team to fill any holes on the 2024 roster. It should not be hard to select the 12 best players from the WNBA at selection time. It would have been interesting to see how that team of all-stars would have faired in this year’s Olympic pool play.

Reaction Score
Seems to me there are few obvious candidates among existing WNBA players. either they are old enough that age could be a factor in three years, or they have not yet dominated in the league. Someone will probably emerge and become a clear choice, but the door is open for some current college players like Paige. Off hand I could see Boston, H. Jones , Brink and Clark as possibilities if current WNBA players don't stand out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sure. Paige is a better shooter, has the Bird/DT sense of the next move of the game, is a heartless winner, and can control the game from the point position. Sabrina does all the above, but Paige is better at them. Of course, we are talking 3 years from now so there is growth, physical development, maturity, experience and other factors I am projecting positively for her.
And Paige will save the Olympic TV ratings. ;)

Reaction Score
Seems to me there are few obvious candidates among existing WNBA players. either they are old enough that age could be a factor in three years, or they have not yet dominated in the league. Someone will probably emerge and become a clear choice, but the door is open for some current college players like Paige. Off hand I could see Boston, H. Jones , Brink and Clark as possibilities if current WNBA players don't stand out.
I think you are severely underestimating the skill level of pros. Of the top 10 US players just 1 was under 25. And if Maya and EDD were playing, Atkins and Pheesa prob don’t even make the squad.

there will not be a college influx in 2024

Carnac

Reaction Score

Laney is my favorite non-UConn player in the W. I’m biased too, but where she is concerned, I give her the nod. Unless her skills diminish in the next 3 years, I heartily agree with your take.

Like trying to name UConn’s starting 5 in August, picking the replacements for the 2024 national team today is a daunting task. The WNBA is fertile ground. It wii produce more than enough worthy and able candidates to fill a 12 player roster.

O/T: Payton Manning killed it this past weekend in his acceptance speech. By far the best and most entertaining speech of the weekend. ;)

Reaction Score
SJF, I agree 110% about Arike making or NOT making the NT!
The committee (who-ever that may be) wants players that are willing & able to sacrifice everything for the good of the program!
Arike doesn't fit that mold.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would not put Tina Charles as a lock, given her age (She'll be 35 next Olympics). Whether or not she makes the team, there's no way Arike is not in the conversation for a guard spot.

Would love for B.Jones from CT sun to get a look, though it will be very hard to break into the post spot.
You can add Jonquel Jones to that conversation too. Arike will probably “force” her way onto the roster. I know there are some here that don’t think so. She’s not a favorite of mine, but I’m putting personal feelings aside here. She can play, and can get you a bucket when needed.

On THIS team, she would do anything to try and “fit in”, knowing that she is on a national team that’s much bigger than she is, and the ultimate goal is not a personal one, but a national one.

As I suggested earlier, there will be no less than 18-22 legitimate candidates vying for the 12 roster spots. USA basketball will be well represented at the games in Paris. As usual, I think the rest of the field will be playing for SILVER.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can add Jonquel Jones to that conversation too. Arike will probably “force” her way onto the roster. I know there are some here that don’t think so. She’s not a favorite of mine, but I’m putting personal feelings aside here. She can play, and can get you a bucket when needed.

As I suggested earlier, there will be no less than 18-22 legitimate candidates vying for the 12 roster spots. USA basketball will be well represented at the games in Paris. As usual, I think the rest of the field will be playing for SILVER.
Jones plays for the Bosnian Olympic team. Though she was born in the Bahamas, she holds citizenship for Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Jones plays for the Bosnian Olympic team. Though she was born in the Bahamas, she holds citizenship for Bosnia-Herzegovina.
:( Humph…….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom