USMNT | The Boneyard

USMNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With two friendlies coming up this week, I figured I would start a thread for the Men's National Team. I see no reason why we can not use this thread to discuss this team, and maybe start a European thread to discuss Euro futbol. I also see no reason why this thread can not be used a year from now, no need for new threads all the time, just use this one for all US Men's Soccer discussions from here on out.

Here is the roster for the two game starting a week from now.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Jose Torres (Pachuca)
FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
No Freddy Adu? Why would that be?
I hope Klinsmann starts to use the youth on the team - never too early to start WC qualifying prep. I believe that several of the remaining "old guard" will be past prime by the next World Cup.

Reaction Score
I need to get a handle on all of the Americans playing here in Germany. FC Kaiserslautern's stadium is minutes from me.

Reaction Score
Spector? Really? I know that Blackburn reneged on George John but I'd much rather see him called up than Spector. And Goodson again...

Dempsey isn't coming over but will be available for the Belgium friendly from what I heard.

Reaction Score
True on Dempsey. Also, Fabian Johnson will not be playing because he is still listed on Germany's side due to playing for their youth teams. Spector does not bother me as much as Bornstein, West Ham showed last year if you know how to use him, he can give you production, so lets let the coach figure it out. These matches are about figuring out what he has and how to use those pieces. I do not know why some like Larentowicz are there, but JK knows more than I do, by a lot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looks like there will be an USMNT game at The Rent around Oct. 12. See the BB board.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No Freddy Adu? Why would that be?
I hope Klinsmann starts to use the youth on the team - never too early to start WC qualifying prep. I believe that several of the remaining "old guard" will be past prime by the next World Cup.

Probably let him settle in with his new team.

Reaction Score
game is at 11 tonight on espn2. I am watching the Canada/St. Lucia game now and am so happy we do not have to deal with this level of qualification.

Reaction Score
And tonights starting lineup isa 4-3-3
Howard; Chandler, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra (c), Castillo; Donovan, Edu, Torres; Rogers, Altidore, Shea

Reaction Score
US loses 1-0. What we learned tonight.....

Good first half until stoppage. a lot more passing and possession than we are used too. Our big problems are thought to be up front and the back line, so that is what i paid most attention too.

the mexican defenders are not going to get it done. Castillo in particular was horrible. best of the back line was Chandler, at least he was aggressive getting forward and made some good distribution from the back.

I do not think Rogers is not a national team level player, he puts the ball so far in front of him, such horrible touch, and has no control. Shea looked tired, he has played so much of late it is not surprising. The center forwards were okay. Jozy held well and made some real nice passes that lead to nothing. When Agudelo came in he brought a lot of energy and aggression, but he just does not have the finishing touch.

Just a friendly. For Belgium on Tuesday you will see Dempsey on the wing and likely some different defenders.

Reaction Score
US loses 1-0. What we learned tonight.....

Good first half until stoppage. a lot more passing and possession than we are used too. Our big problems are thought to be up front and the back line, so that is what i paid most attention too.

the mexican defenders are not going to get it done. Castillo in particular was horrible. best of the back line was Chandler, at least he was aggressive getting forward and made some good distribution from the back.

I do not think Rogers is not a national team level player, he puts the ball so far in front of him, such horrible touch, and has no control. Shea looked tired, he has played so much of late it is not surprising. The center forwards were okay. Jozy held well and made some real nice passes that lead to nothing. When Agudelo came in he brought a lot of energy and aggression, but he just does not have the finishing touch.

Just a friendly. For Belgium on Tuesday you will see Dempsey on the wing and likely some different defenders.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Rogers sticks out because he's just not at this level: he's just a body out there. Klinsmann needs to find someone else, hopefully Holden.

Reaction Score
All I know is I've seen enough of Castillo for the rest of my life. He's terrible and he's a tiny freaking dude who can and does easily get muscled out of position. Like the announcers mentioned last night I was really hoping to see Agudelo come in and play alongside Jozy so we could get a look at 2 strikers. Especially when it became obvious CR was looking to turtle and pack 9 in the back and hope for a counter.

Brek also needs to start spreading the field by making his moves along the sidelines. He constantly overcrowded the middle and cut into other's spacing, he had some nice touches but he needed to be a little more selfish at times last night as well.

Reaction Score
Looks like this is the starting lineup for today's game:
Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (capt.), Chandler; Edu, Torres, Dempsey; Rogers, Altidore, Shea

I have no clue why Klinsmann is sticking with Rogers. I'm not surprised, however, that Castillo is not in the starting XI. Who plays right back, Cherundolo or Chandler?

Reaction Score
Dolo on the right, putting him on the left does not make sense. I am wondering how the TV is going to work with the tin top racing looking like they are having some weather issues to deal with.

Reaction Score
Things we learned during the first half that leaves us with a 0-0 tie.
-Belgium is the better side
-Tim Howard is really good, really good
-Rogers is not a regular NT quality player.
-Chandler may not be a left back. Does not look quite as comfortable on the runs.

Reaction Score
I guessed there wouldn't be some sort of teen wolf moment for Rogers.

Can I assume that Chandler is still an upgrade over any of the other recent left backs?

Reaction Score
He has been fine defensively, just real bad crosses when he goes up

Reaction Score
have direct tv and its raining and espn2 is not coming in ugh! let me kno if someone scores plz.

Reaction Score
1-0 belgium. it is the 82nd minutes and the US is actually looking slightly better this half. Belgium is just the better squad though

Reaction Score
Really,better squad? that's too bad. Fifa has them ranked 37. My ESPN2 still not coming in hope we squeeze in a goal.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
USA got much better as the 2nd half went on. I hope Aguedelo gets more of a run in the next few matches, but I can understand playing other guys, too. You know Aguedelo's a key part of the future. You have to figure out what else you've got.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guessed there wouldn't be some sort of teen wolf moment for Rogers.

Can I assume that Chandler is still an upgrade over any of the other recent left backs?

Debatable but probably. Maybe given some time. For now it looks like Chandler and Lichaj are the future with one of them playing LB out of position and necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom